TD #319 Hallowe'en Questions 1-3

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

lindap
Loyal Jeopardista

TD #319 Hallowe'en Questions 1-3

Post by lindap »

Happy Hallowe'en and welcome to my first TD. I hope you find the questions interesting, yet not too difficult. I've tried to keep the format familiar: you're allowed one drop for a score of zero and one "sheep" for a score equal to the most popular answer. Wrong answers, which should be uncommon, will be scored sheep+5. There are also several bonuses which will work a little differently: you can answer only one bonus; the "sheep" bonus question will be worth -2, next most popular -3, and so on. Any singleton bonus answers will be -10! Wrong answers incur no penalty so go ahead and guess if you have to.

1. Candy Name any color in a non-holiday bag of Milk Chocolate M&Ms OR name one of the four actors who have voiced Red or Yellow in the M&M commercials (two current and two past).

2. Caution! May contain allergens Even the Milk Chocolate M&Ms state that they may contain peanuts, due to possible exposure to peanuts during their production. Including peanuts, there are 8 allergens that must be listed on food labels. Name one.

Bonus Name the drug/delivery system marketed by Mylan that has been under increased public scrutiny due to its dramatic price increase.

3. Danger! Rumors about razor blades in Hallowe'en treats has resulted in some communities using xrays to examine children's treat bags. The NATO phonetic alphabet uses the word "xray" to represent the letter x. Name another NATO phonetic alphabet letter/word that would be used to spell the words "HALLOWEEN CANDY".

4. Costumes In my non-PC childhood, dressing up as a hobo was considered perfectly fine and not insulting to homeless people. Hoboes were boxcar riding, hitch-hiking kings of the road.
Name any railroad on the standard Monopoly gameboard OR any of the seven "road" pictures starring Bob Hope and Bing Crosby.

Bonus What was the actual destination in the road picture with the name of a fictional place in its title?

5. Another non-PC costume Dressing as a gypsy was another popular costume choice, though today it's probably better to call bejeweled, head-scarfed, hoop-earringed look a "fortune teller". Since every fortune teller needs a way to foretell your future, name any one of the 22 cards of the major arcana in a tarot deck.

6.Scary book, scary movie Identify the author of one of the following books that were adapted into movies. Include the letter with your answer.
A. The Dead Zone
B. Jaws
C. Ghost Story
D. The Road
E. On the Beach
F. Dracula
G. Children of Men
H. Coma
I. The Andromeda Strain
J. The Silence of the Lambs

Bonus Name the author whose "Falling Angel" was adapted into the movie "Angel Heart"(1987)

7. Scared yet? Sometimes, ordinary objects or situations cause irrational fears or phobias. If I suffered from the following phobias, what would I be scared of? Again, include the letter of the phobia with your answer.
A. Agoraphobia
B. Arachnophobia
C. Acrophobia
D. Xenophobia
E. Claustrophobia
F. Triskadekaphobia
G. Hydrophophobia
H. Ergophobia
I. Nyctophobia
J. Thanatophobia

Bonus The recent sightings of clowns would be especially distressing to someone who suffered from what irrational fear of clowns?

8.CREEP-y CREEP, the Committee to Re-elect the President, did get Richard Nixon re-elected in 1972, but not all Presidential re-election bids have been successful. Name a President who lost a re-election bid

Bonus In what year did two Presidents, one a sitting President, one a former President, both lose a re-election?

9. Witches' Coven
There are 13 witches in a coven and these questions are all somehow related to the number 13. Be sure to include the letter with your answer!
A. 13th US President
B. 13th state to ratify the US Constitution
C. 13th letter of the Greek alphabet
D. Atomic #13 on the periodic table
E. This basketball player who wore #13 for the Philadelphia Warriors once scored 100 points in a single NBA game
F. 13th letter/word in the NATO phonetic alphabet
G. This Miami Dolphin quarterback who wore #13 never won a Super Bowl, despite holding numerous NFL passing records
H. Color of the #13 ball in billiards
I. 13th book of the Old Testament, in the King James Version
J. Thirteen cookies, donuts, or rolls might be called this
K. Any planet in our solar system with 13 or more moons

Bonus This Pittsburgh Pirate pitched 12 perfect innings against the Milwaukee Braves on May 26, 1959, before losing the game in the thirteenth inning.

10. All Hallows' Eve Hallowe'en is named for All Hallows' Eve, the night before All Hallows' Day, which is also know as All Saints' Day. Name one of the traditional patron saints of one of the following places or people. Please include the letter.
A. Scotland
B. England
C. Venice
D. Ireland
E. Spain
F. Rome
G. Carpenters
H. Travelers
I. Physicians
J. Children (and pawnbrokers!)

11.Christmas Season Kickoff The Christmas season seems to start earlier each year, so that Hallowe'en is the new day after Thanksgiving, ie., the beginning! Name any reindeer mentioned in Clement C. Moore's poem, popularly known as " 'Twas the Night before Christmas' OR one of the traditional names for the Magi/Three Wise Men.

Bonus For what department store was the story of "Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer" written?

ANSWERS

Question 1 Name any color in a non-holiday bag of Milk Chocolate M&Ms OR name one of the four actors who have voiced Red or Yellow in the M&M commercials (two current and two past)

Yellow(8) SHEEP
1st level thinker
woof
dott888
gamawire
Tybalteon
Mark Barrett
flutist 319
silly monkey

SHEEP
coolcah36

JK Simmons(4)
clprez
PowerofHoodoo
mitchparov
9021amyers

Blue(4)
everestian
bluelion
Armandillo
ihavejeoprosy

Orange(3)
Peachbox
Cat Hammarskjold
badgerfellow

Green(3)
ElendilPickle
Bamaman
xxaaaxx

Brown(2)
econgator
immaf

Red Singleton
Rackme32

Billy West Singleton
Vintsanity

Drop
Magna
floridagator

Unused answers John Goodman (voice of Yellow), Jon Lovitz (voice of Red)

Question 2 Including peanuts, there are 8 allergens that must be listed on food labels. Name one.
Milk/dairy(6) SHEEP
1stlevelthinker
Rackme32
Magna
dott888
clprez
floridagator

Wheat(4)
coolcah36
sillymonkey
PowerofHoodoo
xxaaaxx

Soy(3)
Armandillo
ihavejeoprosy
Cat Hammarskjold

Eggs(2)
ElendilPickle
econgator

Peanuts(2)
immaf
mitchparov

Tree nuts/almonds (2)
Vintsanity
9021amyers

Unused answers fish, shellfish

DROP
Badgerfellow
MarkBarrett
Peachbox
BlueLion
gamawire
Tybalteon
flutist 319

Incorrect
woof sulfites
everestian phenylalanine
Bamaman dyes

Question 3 Name another NATO phonetic alphabet letter/word that would be used to spell the words "HALLOWEEN CANDY"

November (6) SHEEP
coolcah36
1stlevelthinker
Vintsanity
flutist319
mitchparov
sillymonkey

Charlie(4)
ElendilPickle
Tybalteon
Armandillo
Cat Hammarskjold

Echo(4)
dott888
everestian
ihavejeoprosy
Bamaman

Whiskey(4)
immaf
floridagator
Blue lion
econgator

Lima(2)
gamawire
Magna

Hotel(2)
9021amyers
xxaaaxx

Oscar(2)
Mark Barrett
Badger fellow

Yankee Singleton
clprez

Delta Singleton
Peachbox

Unused answer Alpha

DROP
woof
Rackme32
PowerofHoodoo

Standings after Question 3
Peachbox 4
Badgerfellow 5
Rackme32 7

The following people have 8
9021amyers
Blue lion
econgator
immaf
Magna
PowerofHoodoo

The following people have 9
ElendilPickle
Vintsanity
xxaaaxx

The following people have 10
Cat Hammarskjold
floridagator
gamawire
Mark Barrett

The following people have 11
Armandillo
clprez
ihavejeoprosy

The following people have 12
mitchparov
Tybalteon

flutist 319 14

The following people have 18
Bamaman
coolcah36
dott888
sillymonky

woof 19

1stlevelthinker 20
Last edited by lindap on Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.
lindap
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: TD #319 Hallowe'en Corrections

Post by lindap »

Placeholder for inevitable corrections or clarifications

1. For the "Hoboes" bonus, the destination in the road picture's title is the name of a fictional place. To answer this question, tell me where Bing and Bob were actually going in that movie.

2. I hope I explained how the bonus questions work. Your goal is to try to answer the least popular bonus question: that's why I opted to limit the bonus questions to just one per person. If you correctly answer the question that the most people also answer, that bonus is the "sheep" and gets you -2 points.

3. I've edited the NATO phonetic alphabet question to emphasize that I'm asking for a letter in the words "Halloween candy"-there are 10 possible answers.

4. The M&M question should have specified in a currently produced bag of the non-holiday variety.
Last edited by lindap on Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
lindap
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: TD #319 Hallowe'en

Post by lindap »

To enter, Please PM me.
Thanks!
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Just to clarify - we should only answer one of the bonus questions. Is that right?

Also, do we have to answer the main question (not "drop" or "sheep" it) in order to be allowed to answer the bonus question?
lindap
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by lindap »

Right, just one bonus per person, and it's OK to answer a bonus if you drop or sheep the main question.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

3. Danger! Rumors about razor blades in Hallowe'en treats has resulted in some communities using xrays to examine children's treat bags. The NATO phonetic alphabet uses the word "xray" to represent the letter x. Name another NATO phonetic alphabet letter/word that would be used to spell the words "HALLOWEEN CANDY".
Just to clarify, you are looking for a NATO alphabet word that can be made from the letters in "Halloween candy"? I'm really not clear what we are supposed to do here.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Bamaman wrote:
Just to clarify, you are looking for a NATO alphabet word that can be made from the letters in "Halloween candy"? I'm really not clear what we are supposed to do here.
I think the question asks for one of the phonetic words you'd say if you were spelling out "Halloween candy" using the NATO phonetic alphabet - i.e., the NATO phonetic alphabet word for H, A, L, etc. Is that right?
lindap
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by lindap »

Yes, any NATO letter found in the words "halloween candy" ie., h, a,l,o,w,e,n,c,d,y
If anyone wants to change their answer because this didn't makes sense before, please let know. There have been at least two people who expressed confusion, and I don't want to penalize someone because of question ambiguity.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

What is the deadline for this?
lindap
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by lindap »

What is the deadline for this?
I completely forgot about that!
Let's say next Monday, November 7th by 11:59 PM EST.
lindap
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by lindap »

Still time to enter. Take a break from listening to Trump's tripe,Clinton's claptrap, and neverending media speculation and answer 10 questions (11 with the bonus) that deal somewhat tangentially with Hallowe'en.
lindap
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by lindap »

Twenty nine entries. Good luck to everyone!
If you've entered and don't see you name, please let me know.
coolcah36
Peachbox
1stlvlthinker
Woof
dott888
clprez
immaf
Vintsanity
floridagator
ElendilPickle
gamawire
Tybalteon
everestian
Rackme32
MarkBarrett
Badgerfellow
Magna
flutist319
econgator
Armandillo
ihavejeoprosy
blue Lion
Bamaman
9021amyers
Mitch Parov
PowerofHoodoo
sillymonkey
Cat Hammarskjold
xxaaaxx

If you entered but don't see your name, please let me know.
lindap
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: TD #319 Hallowe'en Questions 1-3

Post by lindap »

Just a bump to let you know the first three answers have been posted.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

lindap wrote:Just a bump to let you know the first three answers have been posted.
You may want to separate each one out into its own post.
lindap
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by lindap »

I'll do that for next questions.
1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

So.... we're really playing Sheep, right?
Now swimming in the J! pool.
oduguy22
Swimming with the Jeopardy! Fishes

Post by oduguy22 »

Hello but i dont see my results in the list, im pretty sure i entered.
lindap
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by lindap »

oduguy22 wrote:Hello but i dont see my results in the list, im pretty sure i entered.
Let me check again.
I thought I got everyone.
I sent you a PM. There was miscommunication and your answers didn't get saved (they were posted in the thread and I didn't get a PM).
I apologize.