TD 324 Christmas/Reindeer Name Games

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

lindap
Loyal Jeopardista

TD 324 Christmas/Reindeer Name Games

Post by lindap »

Welcome to my second TD! In the spirit of the season, this quiz will deal with the names of Santa's reindeer, both the eight named in "A Visit from St. Nicholas" and the two who came from pop culture. As usual, the goal is to select the least common answer to generate the fewest number of points.
Rules are as follows:
1. Enter by PM before 0700 next Tuesday 12/20/16.
2. Trust your own judgment and knowledge!
3. Please PM me with any questions.
4. Be sure to drop one question, ie., take 0 points for that question.
5. You can also "sheep" one question to get the "sheep" (most common answer) number of points.
6. There are several scattered bonus questions. You may answer any or all of them even if you dropped the primary question. Bonus questions are worth -2 pts each. Unlike the SATs, there is NO penalty for guessing! Thanks to colonialrampage, I now know the SATs no longer penalize for guessing.
Good luck!

1.Dasher One meaning of dash is to hurry, and if you were in an Olympic race, you'd be hurrying! Name the distance of one of the ten running or walking events for men in the Olympic Games. For the longest running event, rounding down to the nearest whole unit is OK. These are individual events, not relays, and do not involve any sort of jumping.
Bonus "Out of all the reindeers, you know you're the mastermind" is the opening line of this Christmas song, first made popular by Chuck Berry.

2. Dancer One of my favorite dancers is Ginger Rogers. Name one of the ten movies in which Ginger danced with Fred Astaire. Do not use any type of compilation/clip movie (such as "That's Entertainment!")
Bonus The Nutcracker ballet is a Christmas tradition. In which city was it first performed?

3. Prancer Horses and ponies are the usual animals that are described as "prancing." In Tolkien's Lord of the Rings trilogy, there is the "Prancing Pony", an inn in Bree, while in CS Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia, there is a character named Bree, described as a "prancing pony." Name one the books in Chronicles of Narnia or Lord of the Rings (10 answers).

4. Vixen Not just a female fox, a vixen is also a name for a "shrewish or malicious woman". You could find lots of malicious women in daytime soap operas, so name any network soap opera that has been on the air at any time during 2000-2016. It is not necessary that the soap opera first aired in this time frame, only that it was on the air at some time during these years.
Bonus This woman created several soap operas, including the one that starred Susan Lucci as Erica Kane. What is the full name of this woman, whose last name actually rhymes with "vixen."

5. Comet Comets have been described as "dirty snowballs." Another dirty Snowball was the "traitorous" pig, Snowball, in George Orwell's Animal Farm. Name any character from this book.
Bonus Snowball was said to have been based on what figure of the Russian Revolution?

6. Cupid Cupid is the Roman god of love, whose counterpart was Eros in Greek mythology. Identify the Greek counterpart of one of the following Roman gods. Be sure to include the letter with your answer.
A. Ceres
B. Vulcan
C. Neptune
D. Vesta
E. Venus
F. Diana
G. Fortuna
H. Victoria
I. Mars
J. Juventas

7. Donner A group of settlers got stranded in the Sierra Nevada mountains in the winter of 1846-47 and had to resort to cannibalism; they became known as the "Donner party" (though it sure doesn't sound like partay-time!) If one of these unfortunate diners had to gnaw on a human leg, what bones might he encounter? For this question, the "leg" starts at the hip joint and doesn't include any pelvic bones. Also,for any bone in a group, just use the group name. For example, if the question asked for a bone in the thorax, "rib" is acceptable-it doesn't need to be "right-sided third rib". To avoid any confusion, there are four bones in the leg itself and four groups of bones in the ankle/foot, one group of seven, one group of five, one group of fourteen, one group of two
If you want to change your answer, let me know.
8. Blitzen Steeler fans like to refer to the city as "Blitzburgh" because of the team's history of great defenses. The Steelers have played in 8 and won 6 Super Bowls since the 70s. Name one of the Steelers' NFC opponents in one of these games or one of the three head coaches in this time frame.

9. Rudolph Though not a common name, Rudolph was the middle name of one of the US Presidents. Match the middle name to the US President. Be sure to include the letter of your answer.
A. Rudolph
B. Clark
C. Abram
D. Jefferson
E. Wilson
F. Earl
G. Gamaliel
H. Howard
I. Birchard
J. Alan
Bonus This president's birth name was Leslie King, Jr.

10. Olive Olive had her own TV show, because she was "Olive, the Other Reindeer" from a 1997 book. Olives, however, are more associated with the Mediterranean area than the North Pole. Name a mainland European country that has a coastline on the Mediterranean Sea.
Bonus What is the word for a misunderstood/misheard phrase that results in another word/phrase? In this case, "all of the other reindeer" became "Olive, the other reindeer"; another well known example is "Gladly, the cross-eyed bear" for the hymn's lyric of "gladly the cross I'd bear."
Last edited by lindap on Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
totebags
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: TD 324 Christmas/Reindeer Name Games

Post by totebags »

Q7--Is this hypothetical cannibal working his way to the foot and through to the big toe? Or he strictly a leg-man?
lindap
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: TD 324 Christmas/Reindeer Name Games/CLARIFICATIONS

Post by lindap »

Sorry-forgot to put that the leg begins at hip joint (but no pelvis bones) and goes all the way to and including the toes. Also, the answer should be the bone's official name, not shinbone, thigh bone, heel, etc. For further clarification, there are 4 bones in the leg proper and four groups of bones in the foot for a total of 8 correct answers.
For the first bonus, the answer is the name of the song.
I also forgot the word "running" in the Olympic distance question. It should be the longest "running" event that you can round to the nearest whole unit.
Last edited by lindap on Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

lindap wrote: 1. Enter by PM before 0700 next Tuesday 12/19/16.
Tuesday is the 20th.
lindap wrote:Sorry-forgot to put that the leg begins at hip joint (but no pelvis bones) and goes all the way to and including the toes. Also, the answer should be the bone's official name, not shinbone, thigh bone, heel, etc. For further clarification, there are 4 bones in the leg proper and four groups of bones in the foot for a total of 8 correct answers.
For any clarifications, update the question as well, as appropriate.
lindap
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by lindap »

Done. Thank you.
I have placed the important info in bold to make sure there's no confusion. The first bonus question asks for the name of the song, the soap opera bonus asks for the full name, and the leg question has eight correct answers (four individual bones in the leg, four groups of bones in the ankle/foot) AND the Olympic question asks for the longest RUNNING event. All clarifications/corrections are in the questions themselves.
lindap
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by lindap »

Still time to enter!
lindap
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: TD 324 Christmas/Reindeer Name Games /CLOSED

Post by lindap »

I'm going to be tabulating results today and start posting answers tomorrow. Several people have been asked to clarify an answer, so if you get a message from me, that's what it's about.
Thanks for your patience.