Monday, July 11, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, July 11, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6191, 2011-07-11

CONTESTANTS
Christopher Stephens, an administrative law judge from New York, New York
Damian Yu, an executive compensation consultant originally from West Vancouver, Canada
Rachel Winer, a graduate student in teaching from Burlington, Vermont (whose 2-day cash winnings total $51,801)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. And thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome as we start another week of Jeopardy! programs. Rachel, good to have you back with us. Damian and Christopher, welcome aboard. Good luck. Let's go to work in the Jeopardy! Round, shall we? Get you off to a good start with these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CABINET DEPARTMENTS (4/5)
TV'S FUNNIEST PHRASES (5/5) (Alex: You tell us which show is most closely associated with those phrases.)
THE VATICAN (4/5)
COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ROBERT LOUIS STEVENSON (5/5)
KIDNAPPED (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Christopher: 12 R (including 3 rebounds), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Damian: 11 R, 2 W
Rachel: 3 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Christopher found the Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Rachel was in the hole with -$400, Damian had $200, and Christopher was at $400. Christopher wagered $1,000.

COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES $600: In 2010 Cam Newton became this university's third Heisman Trophy winner
(Christopher: What is Ohio State?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Christopher: $2,800
Damian: $1,000
Rachel: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Christopher Stephens is an administrative law judge from New York who has set some interesting goals for himself. He calls them decades goals.

Christopher: Yes, so--

Alex: Give me an example.

Christopher: Well, I decided that, before I turned 30, I wanted to see all of Shakespeare's plays performed live on stage. Did that.

Alex: You did that?

Christopher: Did that. And then for 40, I wanted to spend the night in all 50 states--not the same night--and, uh, I got that done.

Alex: Good for you. And so now I--originally, I would've thought, well, 50 marathons in 50 states.

Alex: Ooh.

Christopher: Uh, but that's a lot of running.

Alex: You bet.

Christopher: So I decided--25 half marathons in 25 states.

Alex: All right. And how far into that are you soar?

Christopher: I've got 12 down.

Alex: 12 down. Okay. Keep it going. Great.

Alex: Damian Yu, originally from we Vancouver. Obviously a big Bruce Springsteen fan. How many concerts of his have you attended?

Damian: The count's up to 30 now, and, uh, that covers 17 cities and 6 different countries.

[Apparent edit]

Alex: His music is universal anyway.

Damian: Absolutely.

Alex: Okay, good.

Alex: Rachel Winer is our champion. She is from Vermont, has earned $51,801.

Rachel: Mm-hmm.

Alex: That's about as much as you make as a teaching assistant right now, isn't it?

Rachel: Mm, mm, mm, mm.

[Laughs]

Rachel: I wish.

Alex: You're gonna pursue a career in teaching, but what subject?

Rachel: Uh, I'd like to teach English to speakers of other languages.

Alex: To speakers of other languages.

Rachel: Yes.

Alex: Any other languages in particular?

Rachel: Um, no, not necessarily.

Alex: No?

Rachel: I have some experience teaching in Japan, so I would be happy to teach Japanese speakers.

Alex: Okay, that sounds like a good thing to do.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CABINET DEPARTMENTS $1000: One of its agencies is COPS, short for Community Oriented Policing Services

THE VATICAN $1000: The 2006 feature film this "story", starring Keisha Castle-Hughes as Mary, was the first to premiere at the Vatican

KIDNAPPED $1000: In December 1991 this bureau chief for the A.P. in Beirut was released by Hezbollah after 6 years, 7 months

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Christopher: $6,600
Damian: $4,400
Rachel: $600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, July 11, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BORN & DIED (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WRITERS ON FILM (5/5)
LIKE SOME COFFEE? (4/5)
CHAIRS (3/5)
MY SON, THE DOCTOR (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
GET "SET" (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Damian: 13 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Rachel: 7 R, 0 W
Christopher: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Damian snagged the next Daily Double on the 16th clue. Rachel had $4,600, Damian had $11,200, and Christopher was at $6,600. Damian wagered $2,000.

BORN & DIED $800: Born in Sweden in 1823, he went out without a bang in San Remo, Italy in 1896

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Damian who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 27th clue. Rachel had $8,200, Damian had $14,400, and Christopher was at $12,600. Damian wagered $1,600.

MY SON, THE DOCTOR $800: In a scene from a 2010 HBO movie, this doctor talks about his mother's long, painful last illness

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
GET "SET" $2000: Hyphenated term for land or commodities reserved by the government for a particular use

LIKE SOME COFFEE? $1200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from) The coffee berries are now in their green phase; when a phytohormone called ethylene increases, they'll turn red & fittingly be known as these, like a fruit
(Damian: What are berries?)
(Christopher: What is ripe?)

CHAIRS $400: One type is called a courting chair

CHAIRS $800: Types of this chair include gungstol, Windsor & Boston

MY SON, THE DOCTOR $2000: In 1854 the former Rosa Weigert gave birth to this chemotherapy pioneer known for his "magic bullet"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Damian: $17,600
Christopher: $12,600
Rachel: $9,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
18th CENTURY QUOTATIONS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Damian: Wager $7,601 to cover Christopher.
Christopher: You ought to wager to cover Rachel, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings by betting all $12,600. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $6,200 (to shut out Rachel) or less than $2,600 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Rachel). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Damian.
Rachel: Considering that you're going to lose on a Triple Stumper by at least $600, you need to bet either $3,201, and play for a win if Christopher tries to two-thirds Damian, or bet at least $8,201 to cover Damian's $0 bet (though, from this position, a wager of all $9,400 is acceptable and perhaps preferred).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
2 yrs. before his 1794 execution, he said, "I am no courtier, nor moderator... nor defender of the people: I am myself the people"

FINAL SCORES
Rachel: $9,400 - $1,000 = $8,400 (Who is is Louis the 16th?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Christopher: $12,600 - $6,201 = $6,399 (Who is Louis XVI?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Damian: $17,600 - $7,601 = $9,999 (Who is Louis XVI?) (New champion: $9,999)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Damian: $15,600, 24 R (including 2 DDs), 4 W
Christopher: $13,600, 17 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Rachel: $9,400, 10 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $38,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Damian: 24/60 = .400
Christopher: 17/59 = .288
Rachel: 10/58 = .172
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES $400: It's alphabetically first of the Seven Sisters colleges
(Rachel: What is Amherst?)

CABINET DEPARTMENTS $600: OSHA, the Occupational Safety & Health Administration, is a part of this department
(Damian: What is Health & Human Services?)

THE VATICAN $800: Seeking to bring the Vatican up to modern standards, the 11th pope of this name installed plumbing in the '30s
(Damian: What's Urban?)

CHAIRS $1200: Dust bunnies may be collecting under Britain's coronation chair since this was returned to Scotland in 1996
(Damian: What is the throne?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Auburn
the Justice Department
The Nativity Story
Terry Anderson
(Alfred) Nobel
(Jack) Kevorkian
a set-aside
cherries
a love seat
rocking chairs
Paul Ehrlich
Maximilien Robespierre
Barnard
the Department of Labor
(Pope) Pius (XI)
the Stone of Scone
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Monday, July 11, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator »

Not in a million billion trillion years would I have gotten FJ. I guessed the same that everyone else guessed.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

Distant high-school memories of studying the French Revolution served me well, for I came up with the correct FJ response instantly. A nice way to start the week. :D
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Damian: $17,600-$7,601=$9,999
Christopher: $12,600-$6,201=$6,399
Rachel: $9,400-$1,000=$8,400

18th Century Quotations
2 years before his 1794 execution, he said, "I am no courtier, nor moderator...nor defender of the people: I am myself the people."
Spoiler
Who is Maximilien Robespierre? All three players guessed Louis XVI, as did I.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Christopher was in a tough spot. He could have wagered $2,600, to beat Damian if they both missed FJ, but that would have allowed Rachel to win with a correct response. Betting $6,201 ensured that he beat Rachel with a correct response, but left him in third place after the triple stumper. The scores at the end of DJ were also unfortunate for Rachel, as she was just $600 short of having enough money to win on a triple stumper.

That was a tough game for me personally, and I had been really rolling in the past couple of weeks before the kids' shows. Robert Louis Stevenson, Writers on Film and Chairs all kicked my butt, with a couple of embarrassing misses in the Stevenson category. Several other not-so-difficult clues eluded my grasp as well, including the Departments of Veterans' Affairs and Justice, Get Smart, and Doctors Kevorkian and Fleming. Hopefully I've gotten Kids' Week out of my system and I will be back on my game tomorrow.
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

Would you guys accept "dogs" for "pets" in the Vatican category, and "upset" for "setback" in the "set" category?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

thejeopardyfan wrote:Would you guys accept "dogs" for "pets" in the Vatican category, and "upset" for "setback" in the "set" category?
"You suffer one when you experience a reverse or defeat." I could see upset being a possible answer to that clue.

I was trying to decide between dogs and cats on the Vatican clue, and when pets was given I expected a be more specific from Alex, but none was forthcoming. I have now learned that Benedict XVI's pet Chico, who was referenced in the clue, was actually a cat, not a dog, so I am guessing that cats would have been accepted but dogs would not have. Did you know that the Pope's cat even wrote a book? http://www.amazon.com/Joseph-Chico-Life ... 1586172522
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Louis Seize for me with beaucoup de doubt. 1794 didn't look right. I was sure it was not 1789, so I could not rule out the year. Robespierre was the other name I considered without adding him to my papier. Sacre bleu.

Alex threw me again with his remark. Maximillian? What does he have to do with it? That's Mexico years later. Maximilien with Robespierre was something I may have learned in high school, but I had completely forgotten the first name.

Damian was lucky he did enough with the DDs and that Rachel tightened the game enough to allow him to survive the triple miss.

Alex could have been nicer to Christopher on the Auburn DD miss, but that is what Christopher gets for not knowing basic sports. Bye bye.
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

Another Louis XVI response here as well. For some reason I thought Robespierre died later than that.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I started with Louis XVI, strongly considered Max, but then crossed him out at the last second and nearly decapitated myself upon Alex's comment.

As an Alabama fan I got a chuckle that he didn't get Cam Newton's school correct.

I had cat for the Pope's pet and I'll count it as correct in my mind. The Pope can't keep a pet? Tough gig.

Nice wagering by the outgoing champ. Gives her a win on a sole solve and nabs an extra grand for herself on the TS.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

What a deft little diversion within that FJ! clue -- at least it diverted me. With the phrase "L'etat, c'est moi" identified with Louis XIV, it seemed only natural that Louis XVI might harbor some sentiment such as "I am myself the people." C'est la guerre.

Nice job by Damian, but did anyone else hear him saying "Arabian" when the coffee-variety clue called for "arabica"? I seemed to perceive a pause and/or a cut before Alex accepted his response.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Budphrey wrote:What a deft little diversion within that FJ! clue -- at least it diverted me. With the phrase "L'etat, c'est moi" identified with Louis XIV, it seemed only natural that Louis XVI might harbor some sentiment such as "I am myself the people." C'est la guerre.

Nice job by Damian, but did anyone else hear him saying "Arabian" when the coffee-variety clue called for "arabica"? I seemed to perceive a pause and/or a cut before Alex accepted his response.
Yes, he very clearly said "Arabian", which was the same thing I said since they referenced the peninsula. I thought that Alex said something different when ruling him correct, but I had never heard of arabica, so I wasn't sure if Arabian should have been accepted or not. It seems to me that Arabian should have been ruled incorrect.

In the clue "This mass of land in the western hemisphere was named for an Italian explorer", and I say "What is Amerigo?", I think that I should be ruled incorrect, since I should have said "What is America?"

Similarly, if the coffee arabica is named for the Arabian Peninsula, that shouldn't mean that Arabian is automatically a correct response for the name of the coffee, since the two do have different names, even if just slightly.

Maybe some questions of this nature could be considered a matter of saying the same word in different languages. It seems from what I am reading that arabica might just be a Latin-ized form of the word Arabian, but I may very well be mistaken about that.
karoliner
Valued Contributor

Post by karoliner »

I was stunned everyone had FJ wrong. I thought of Louis XVI first but quickly ruled him out. Danton? Not famous enough. Got to be Robespierre. I knew Louis XVI was dead by 1793. Even not considering the year, for a person to say 'I am not a courtier', you would think it's at least possible for him to be one, which Louis definitely wasn't.
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

In the Jeopardy! round, did anyone else hear Damian say "Veteran Affairs" instead of "Veterans Affairs"?
earendel

Post by earendel »

Budphrey wrote:What a deft little diversion within that FJ! clue -- at least it diverted me. With the phrase "L'etat, c'est moi" identified with Louis XIV, it seemed only natural that Louis XVI might harbor some sentiment such as "I am myself the people." C'est la guerre.

I thought the question called for the name of the peninsula (Arabian) rather than the name of the coffee variety (arabica). I'll be interested to see the question when it appears on the J! Archive page.

As for FJ! thanks to Allan Sherman I could eliminate Louis XVI ("Louie the Sixteenth was the king of France in 1789. He was worse than Louie the Fifteenth, he was worse than Louie the Fourteenth. He was worse than Louie the Thirteenth. He was the worst since Louie the First." - from "You Came the Wrong Way, Ol' King Louie"). Unfortunately that left me without an answer since I couldn't dredge up Robespierre. I finally guessed Marat.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
oddsox
Valued Contributor

Post by oddsox »

Arabian vs Arabica question: It was definitely asking for the name of the coffee, and I was very surprised to see 'Arabian' accepted. Also in that category, got a frustrating wrong answer: 'berry' instead of 'cherry'. I've never heard coffee beans called 'cherries' before.

Never heard the fact about Robert Louis Stevenson being associated with Samoa ($2k question). Is that commonly known?

Robespierre was an insta-guess. I thought it was an easy one and wasn't expecting the TS. Wife went with Louis XVI, and regretted her choice after hearing mine. Interesting that a couple folks here went with XVI over Max when both were considered, I thought the quote definitely pointed to a non-royal.
mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

Got FJ fairly quickly - I thought the quote would sound odd coming from a royal (besides the fact he was dead already). I knew Robespierre because (and I hestitate to admit this...) my parents used to have a cat named Robespierre. So, although the French Revolution wouldn't be my strongest catagory... I knew this one. :)

I too thought 'upset' before they said 'setback', and would have said dogs (and gotten it wrong) for pets. I am surprised that Alex didn't tell him to be more specific. And I can't remember the exact wording, but I figured they were looking for Arabica, not Arabian. (And coffee cherries? sometimes I think they make things up... :? )
badscooter

Post by badscooter »

Hi, this is Damian from “tonight’s” game.

As a lurker on the old Sony board, I’ve benefitted from the informative and entertaining first hand accounts posted by contestants on the show. So I feel compelled to take my turn at giving something back, especially given that some of you went through the trouble of re-starting a whole new board (thank you!). So here goes some back story and thoughts from the game.
How I got there - online test in January 2009, in-person audition in Chicago May 29, 2009. So yes, I was in the pool for more than 18 months when I got The Call in February this year. I was actually getting ready to take the online test again, so I was shocked when the call came. As thrilled as I was to get invited on, couldn’t they have called long before we became parents last August, when I had more spare time and brain cells? TPTB work in mysterious ways indeed.

The taping – this was the first show taped that day. Under normal circumstances, I would have preferred to watch, absorb, and get acclimated from the sidelines rather than being picked for the first game. But I was fighting a cold and slept horribly the night before, and as the morning wore on I was feeling decidedly worse, so I was happy to basically get it over with and not let it drag on.

The interview – the first thought that came to my mind when Alex approached our podiums was, “Alex has a lot of makeup on.” My interview was cut short in the editing room. I could talk about Springsteen all day, but Alex asked a question that I thought was quite awkwardly worded. In turn, I didn’t give a particularly articulate answer. It was probably just as well they it was cut out.

The questions:
1. Yes I think I did say Veteran Affairs. I was stuffed up and not always easy to hear and I think they gave me the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they wanted to give the Canadian a break (OSHA would be another example of the difference between knowing it cold as Christopher did versus trying to figure it out on the spot – I knew what the acronym stood for but focused on the H instead of the O)
2. As soon as I said Arabian I wanted to say Arabica and was hoping I might get asked to be more specific. I was glad when they accepted it.
3. Video clues – I don’t like them watching from home, because they’re long and you can’t read the clue. In the studio, they have the video on a screen to the side of the game board and the clue written out on the game board. This actually made it worse. I couldn’t decide whether to focus on the video or the clue, and totally missed the part where they mention coffee berries. I would get thrown off again by a video clue in tonight’s (Tuesday) show
4. Daily Doubles – I was very lucky to hit 2 DDs in the $800 slot. In hindsight, I should have bet even more money, especially on the first one (for the second one, I just wanted to keep my lead). As it was, the “died in Germany” part threw me off a bit, but the extra time helped me figure it out
5. FJ – thought process: “What do all the elements of that quote mean? Is there something there? What about just who was executed in the late 18th century? Nathan Hale, Major Andre … wait, 1794, that’s too late. OK, that’s around the time of the French Revolution. Louis XVI got executed, but how does that quote fit? Time’s running out, write something down. Keep thinking. Music stops. Crap. Hope nobody else got it.” I guess we’re supposed to think “who was executed around the time of the French Revolution”, and the quote is supposed to indicate, in an obscure way, that it’s not Louis XVI. It was a gettable but tough one. I think one or two of the other contestants in the studio got it.

Playing from home, I realize this would not have been one of my better Coryat scores. I was fortunate in that I managed to get in pretty consistently when I tried to ring in. I think I got in more than 2/3 of the time. I wouldn’t have thought that buzzing would be a strength, but on this day, it helped me beat a very knowledgeable player in Christopher and a $50,000+ winner in Rachel, whose advantages as a returning champ may well have been neutralized by hellish travel (the New England winter caused problems for her getting to LA from Vermont. She didn’t get into her hotel until well after midnight). They were both great opponents.

Let’s do it again tonight!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Yay! Welcome aboard, Damian, and congratulations! Glad you could find us here. And yup, let's do it again tonight.