Monday, September 19, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, September 19, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
KenJenningsFan74
Valued Contributor

Re: Monday, September 19, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion(SPOIL

Post by KenJenningsFan74 »

Justin Sausville made an impressive comeback in the Final Jeopardy! round after missing that $4,000 Daily Double. I was glad to see that the miss didn't cost him the game, since I think that he could add a lot to the Tournament of Champions field. I'm pulling for him to qualify tomorrow with a fourth win.
TheConfessor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by TheConfessor »

I just watched today's episode, but I didn't record it, so please excuse my inexact memory. There was a category where all responses begin with "B" and end with "Y." The first clue said something like "the seeds of this plant are used to make beer." My initial thought was "brewery," but the correct answer was "barley." It seems to me that you could make a case for "brewery" to be accepted. One definition of "plant" is "the equipment, including the fixtures, machinery, tools, etc., and often the buildings, necessary to carry on any industrial business: a manufacturing plant." A brewery is a plant that manufactures beer, mainly from seeds and water.

I'm glad I finally figured out how to post here. Thanks to those who made it possible, while we wait (forever?) for Sony to fix their site.
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

I am rooting for Justin, too. He's cute, funny, and has an admirably wide field of knowledge. I'd love to see him in the ToC. Preferably in drag.
ayeembored
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by ayeembored »

Well, I'm still in the same Coryat ballpark, $29,600 this time around, thanks to a strong DJ round. Dogfights and Word Origins were swept there. Word Origins seemed a bit easy for DJ, too. The Country He Ruled was way out of wheelhouse. European history is a near auto-miss for me. I know I need to bone up there. I know just enough to give answers that are close, but incorrect.

I bit on "A la carte", too, and was surprised that there wasn't a change in score. What was the exact wording of the clue? I've never heard of a cafeteria plan, but there's things that fall through cracks on anyone.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

B & Y: 5/5, Little too easy. I made that up easily by 0/5ing the Bible. 28 is Great: Rather Easy, got 4/5, Nobel: Got 3/5, Friends With Benefits: 5/5 Sweep, 2/5 Americans in Paris (Total: 23/30)

Double Jeopardy: Swept Friends 2 and Hispanic American Firsts. 3/5 He Ruled, 3/5 Film Alias, 2/5'd the other two (20/30). Wasn't so easy.

Final: I was pacing those 30 seconds with my head down, knowing I know the answer to this but my brain blanked on a name. I said to my mother "I know who they are referring to and I know when its revealed that I will be like goddam it I knew it." Well, when they revealed Justin's answer, I shouted "Henry David Thoreau damn it" in mid-air. That was painful to have momentary blanking.

Graphics are win. Quite an overhaul for mid-set, since the Season 26 & 27 graphics were similar. I believe this is the first time I've seen HD-esque graphics on my SD televisions. What's with Closed Captioning now in the middle of the show?

As for Justin, Glenn had me worried sick. Glad Justin pulled another come from behind here. Maybe we shouldn't have been so gutsy on the $4,000.00 Daily double though. Hope he wins tomorrow, albeit we'll lose the great Paul Wampler.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Watching regular Jeopardy after playing several weeks of the SHC is like switching from the J! Tournament of Champions to Kids week...
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx »

Roadgeek Adam wrote:Final: I was pacing those 30 seconds with my head down, knowing I know the answer to this but my brain blanked on a name. I said to my mother "I know who they are referring to and I know when its revealed that I will be like goddam it I knew it." Well, when they revealed Justin's answer, I shouted "Henry David Thoreau damn it" in mid-air. That was painful to have momentary blanking.
At least I wasn't the only one. Painful miss. (I really miss the old "shaking head" smiley)
Other than that...
boson wrote:Watching regular Jeopardy after playing several weeks of the SHC is like switching from the J! Tournament of Champions to Kids week...
:shock: The J! round was like free money. DJ, 'Pyrrhic' victory as a DD (which she still almost missed)!? Keyser Soze for 2000!??! The rest of that movie category wasn't much better, but since I missed Dr. Evil, I'll forgive them for missing Donnie Brasco :oops:

Maybe I should start keeping track of my Coryats, they'll be nice and inflated if they keep this up :mrgreen:
NoName84

Post by NoName84 »

$47600 for me, instaget of FJ!
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

It's so great to have a new game! FJ was pretty easy, I thought- I'm a bit surprised by the 1/3 get. Really good players, in general.

Do you think they justified "Kaiser Soz-uh" under the phonetic rules they tend to use? Because I can't remember an instance of them pronouncing the name as anything but "So-zay" throughout the film.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Isadora Duncan's name has always stuck with me ever since she came up as an answer on Who Wants to be a Millionaire. I think it was in Dan Blonsky's stack of questions when he became the second million dollar winner.

I have to admit that I had no idea that Alexander the Great and Pyrrhus were cousins, but it was still an instant get.

Thoreau was my first instinct on FJ, then it dawned on me that the quote was probably from "Civil Disobedience," and that sealed it.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I was really shocked FJ was a solo get. I also thought the boards were fairly easy.

Is Glenn the first person on the show to (indirectly) say he is gay?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

American Writers
In the 1840s he wrote, "I ask for, not at once no government, but at once a better government."
Spoiler
Who is Henry David Thoreau? Jane said (Jacob) Riis (born in 1849) and Glenn said Walt
Whitman.
Glenn Edwards: $14,000-$13,201=$799
Jane Stimpson: $13,600-$10,400=$3,200
Justin Sausville: $9,200+$9,199=$18,399...now a 3-day champion with $76,800
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote:I was really shocked FJ was a solo get. I also thought the boards were fairly easy.

Is Glenn the first person on the show to (indirectly) say he is gay?
Agree, and also wondering the same thing.

Nobody's posted the bets yet, but it struck me that Justin's was terrible, and he was fortunate with the single get.

Nice to get back into the swing of things, even with a hobbling Alex.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Did anyone else think that Justin's response of "A la carte" rather than "cafeteria" on the Daily Double about benefits should have been accepted? I came up with the same one, after briefly passing over "cafeteria" as an obvious place where a worker would eat. Using google, "a la carte benefits" has 54.4 million results, "cafeteria plan" has 2.28 million. Cafeteria Plan is an official government term, started in 2005 by the Treasury Department and IRS, but it seems to me, just based on the google results, that "a la carte" is used pretty commonly by many companies and it easily fit into the clue given. I fully expected them to go back and credit Justin for that response, and was surprised that they didn't when Jane hit the 2nd DD a couple minutes later.

The clue: "Matt's employer lets him choose among various benefits; it's this type of plan, like his favorite eating spot."
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

jeff6286 wrote:Did anyone else think that Justin's response of "A la carte" rather than "cafeteria" on the Daily Double about benefits should have been accepted? I came up with the same one, after briefly passing over "cafeteria" as an obvious place where a worker would eat. Using google, "a la carte benefits" has 54.4 million results, "cafeteria plan" has 2.28 million. Cafeteria Plan is an official government term, started in 2005 by the Treasury Department and IRS, but it seems to me, just based on the google results, that "a la carte" is used pretty commonly by many companies and it easily fit into the clue given. I fully expected them to go back and credit Justin for that response, and was surprised that they didn't when Jane hit the 2nd DD a couple minutes later.

The clue: "Matt's employer lets him choose among various benefits; it's this type of plan, like his favorite eating spot."
I don't know enough about the topic to make a ruling, but I was wondering if a la carte was actually acceptable for that. Justin is a doctor, and he seemed pretty confident that he was correct when he gave his answer. At least it didn't affect the outcome of the game.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

jeff6286 wrote:Did anyone else think that Justin's response of "A la carte" rather than "cafeteria" on the Daily Double about benefits should have been accepted? I came up with the same one, after briefly passing over "cafeteria" as an obvious place where a worker would eat. Using google, "a la carte benefits" has 54.4 million results, "cafeteria plan" has 2.28 million. Cafeteria Plan is an official government term, started in 2005 by the Treasury Department and IRS, but it seems to me, just based on the google results, that "a la carte" is used pretty commonly by many companies and it easily fit into the clue given. I fully expected them to go back and credit Justin for that response, and was surprised that they didn't when Jane hit the 2nd DD a couple minutes later.

How does "a la carte" meet the definition of an eating spot?
sherder
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sherder »

Suze wrote:Do you think they justified "Kaiser Soz-uh" under the phonetic rules they tend to use? Because I can't remember an instance of them pronouncing the name as anything but "So-zay" throughout the film.
I was wondering the same thing, Suze. I thought they might come back from the break with a neg.
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

alietr wrote:
How does "a la carte" meet the definition of an eating spot?
It's not the definition of an eating spot, but the phrasing of the clue was, "LIKE his favorite eating spot." And eating places are commonly a la carte. I thought it should've been accepted, with that phrasing.