Friday, September 23, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, September 23, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6210, 2011-09-23

Justin Sausville game 7.

CONTESTANTS
Jessica Burr, a book editor from Bloomfield, New Jersey
Amit Kurlekar, an attorney from Oakland, California
Justin Sausville, a urologist from Baltimore, Maryland (whose 6-day cash winnings total $134,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. And obviously, Justin is a very bright young champion. He began the week as the returning Jeopardy! champion, but will he end the week still champ? We're gonna find out in this half-hour. Amit, Jessica, welcome aboard. Good luck to all three of you. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round, and these are your categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
INAUGURAL ADDRESSES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THERE SHOULD BE PLAYOFFS! (5/5)
WINE A LITTLE (5/5)
MISSOURI LOVES COMPANY (4/5)
I'M ABSOLUTELY SURE (5/5)
SOUNDS KINDA "IFF"-Y (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Amit: 13 R, 2 W
Jessica: 11 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Justin: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jessica found the Daily Double on the 10th clue. Justin had $1,400, Amit had $600, and Jessica was at $2,400. Jessica wagered $1,000.

INAUGURAL ADDRESSES $1000: "I have approved a research program (for) a security shield that would destroy... missiles before they reach their target"
(Alex: Yes, his second inaugural.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jessica: $2,800
Amit: $1,400
Justin: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Let's spend time with the players, shall we? Jessica Burr is a book editor from New Jersey who has a job that most of us, I think, have seen performed in the past, but it's a very rare thing. Tell us about it, Jessica.

Jessica: Well, I turn pages at chamber music concerts. Uh, when a pianist is a accompanying a soloist, when they're part of a chamber group, uh, they're reading music up on the piano, but they're--both of their hands are busy, so they can't--they don't have, uh, they don't have time to turn the page, so that's where I come in.

Alex: All right, obviously you read music. Do you also play music?

Jessica: I used to.

Alex: You used to?

Jessica: Yeah.

Alex: And did you have a page turner yourself?

Jessica: Uh, when I played chamber music, yes.

Alex: Okay, good for you.

Jessica: Yes.

Alex: Now Amit Kurlekar from Oakland, California, an attorney, and a young man who wanted to be an attorney for a long, long time, ever since he saw a marvelous film many years ago. What was the movie?

Amit: It was 12 Angry Men, Alex.

Alex: Oh, a great example of how our justice system works in America. Henry Fonda the star. How did that inspire you?

Amit: It just made me think that it was a worthwhile thing, to go and be part of the justice system.

Alex: Okay, good for you.

Alex: Justin, you're a new father, relatively new. You have a what, a 2 year old?

Justin: I have a 2 year, uh, Ben is 2 1/2 years old, and, uh, Matthew will be, um, uh, 4 next month.

Alex: Who's the more difficult one to deal with?

Justin: Well, they both have their, uh, their challenging parts. Um, Ben is a very "no"-centric child right now. I'm sure he'll grow out of it, but it's, uh, it's been challenging at times. It's an adjustment.

Alex: Been there, done that.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SOUNDS KINDA "IFF"-Y $1000: The first "T" in GATT, they're taxes one nation puts on goods imported from another
(Jessica: What's a tariff?)
(Justin: What's a... shoot, um...)
{Alex: Jessica, you were so close, but it's [*], in the plural. We were dealing with GATT, so we needed [*].)

MISSOURI LOVES COMPANY $800: A June 26, 2010 re-ride to celebrate the 150th anniv. of the Pony Express ended with a procession through this city

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Amit: $6,200
Jessica: $5,800
Justin: $1,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, September 23, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MEDICAL MILESTONES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
DESCRIBING THE OSCAR-WINNING FILM (5/5)
CHARACTERS IN AMERICAN BOOKS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
REINVENTING THE WHEEL (3/5)
PAINT IN OILS (4/5)
ANIMAL ADJECTIVES (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jessica: 8 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Justin: 12 R, 5 W (including 1 DD)
Amit: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jessica snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Justin had $1,600, Amit had $6,200, and Jessica was at $6,600. Jessica wagered $2,000.

MEDICAL MILESTONES $1200: Her scoring system that assesses the health of newborn babies was introduced in 1952
(Alex: [*]--yes. Any woman who's had a child knows about that.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Justin who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 9th clue. Justin had $6,400, Amit had $6,200, and Jessica was at $9,800. Justin wagered $3,600.

CHARACTERS IN AMERICAN BOOKS $1600: Kilgore Trout, the fictional author of several cleverly ironic sci-fi novels, is a character in many of his books
(Justin: Who is Orson Scott Card?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CHARACTERS IN AMERICAN BOOKS $2000: In "The Sun Also Rises", Jake Barnes struggles with his feelings for this fickle British lady
(Alex: And that woman is [*], played by Ava Gardner in the film.)

REINVENTING THE WHEEL $1200: Improved care in WWII meant more soldiers badly hurt but not dead; that prompted George Klein to motorize this
(Amit: What's an ambulance?)
(Alex: Motorize [*]--makes sense.)

REINVENTING THE WHEEL $2000: Around 1700 this, a ship's steering system, was improved by adding a wheel
(Justin: What is the rudder?)
(Alex: We're going for [*]--[*]--the rudder is way down there.)

PAINT IN OILS $800: Get hold of "Marine Painting in Oil" by E. John Robinson to learn how to paint this 8-letter type of work
(Justin: What is a landscape?)
(Alex: What is [*]--marine painting.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jessica: $13,000
Amit: $11,800
Justin: $8,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN BUSINESS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Jessica: Wager $10,601 to cover Amit.
Amit: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Justin, hoping that you give the correct response and Jessica doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $5,001 to cover Justin's doubled score, but no more than $9,400 if you want to top Jessica on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $3,399 and win if both Jessica and Justin miss Final.
Justin: If you think Amit is going to wager to cover you, try wagering less than $1,600 to beat Jessica and Amit on the Triple Stumper; or, if you think Amit is going to wager small in hopes of a Triple Stumper, wager between $3,401 (venusian, to top a $0 wager by Amit) and $8,400 (martian, which may win in some cases but may also risk dropping you from second to third place if you get Final wrong).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In the 1880s he developed Crystal A Caramels; a product under his own name came out in 1900

FINAL SCORES
Justin: $8,400 - $4,601 = $3,799 (Who is Mars? Russel Stover) (2nd place: $2,000)
Amit: $11,800 + $5,001 = $16,801 (Who was Hershey?) (New champion: $16,801)
Jessica: $13,000 - $10,601 = $2,399 (Who is Werther?) (3rd place: $1,000)
(Alex: [Revealing Amit's response] The product was the [*]'s milk chocolate bar. You are right.)
(Alex: [Revealing Jessica's response] All good products, by the way, but incorrect in your case.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $7,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jessica: $12,200, 19 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Justin: $12,000, 16 R, 6 W (including 1 DD)
Amit: $11,800, 18 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $36,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Amit: 19/58 = .328
Jessica: 19/60 = .317
Justin: 16/59 = .271
Team: 54/63 = .857

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
INAUGURAL ADDRESSES $600: What his March 4, 1841 speech should have included: "Sorry, I'm cutting this short. The weather's awful & I should go inside"
(Amit: Who is Polk?)

SOUNDS KINDA "IFF"-Y $400: Fashionably bared area seen here

MISSOURI LOVES COMPANY $400: At Westminster College, there's a memorial & library honoring this man who gave his "iron curtain" speech on campus in 1946
(Amit: Who is Truman?)

ANIMAL ADJECTIVES $800: Taurine
(Alex: We just need the animal. You don't have to--uh--we'll give you the adjective.)

ANIMAL ADJECTIVES $1200: Columbine
(Justin: Um... what is sheeplike?)

PAINT IN OILS $2000: Rembrandt used the other end of a brush to depict curls, a technique called scraffito, from the Italian for this action

PAINT IN OILS $400: Who needs a brush? According to a student of Titian's, the master would do his final retouching using these
(Justin: What's a knife?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Ronald Reagan
tariffs
St. Joseph
(Virginia) Apgar
Kurt Vonnegut
Lady Brett Ashley
the wheelchair
the helm
a seascape
Hershey
William Henry Harrison
a midriff
(Winston) Churchill
bull-like
a dove
scratching
fingers
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Re: Friday, September 23, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion(SPOIL

Post by Suze »

Can't wait to see Jessica play today! Best of luck. :)
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

Suze wrote:Can't wait to see Jessica play today! Best of luck. :)
And considering who she has to face. Good luck from another Jerseyan.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

Isn't it just a little unfair that Alex did his JFK and Reagan impersonations when reading the inaugural quote clues?
"Lefthanders have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side."
Casey Stengel.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

I've recently done a bit of reading about U.S. stock market history, which turned out to be helpful for today's FJ. It didn't take me long to determine the correct response. After getting FJ wrong on Monday, it was nice to get four in a row correct to close out the week.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

DWS wrote:I've recently done a bit of reading about U.S. stock market history, which turned out to be helpful for today's FJ. It didn't take me long to determine the correct response. After getting FJ wrong on Monday, it was nice to get four in a row correct to close out the week.
I feel the opposite, after blanking on Monday, and getting Tuesday right. I've failed three straight. Nice to end the week on a fail note. :|
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

DWS wrote:I've recently done a bit of reading about U.S. stock market history, which turned out to be helpful for today's FJ. It didn't take me long to determine the correct response. After getting FJ wrong on Monday, it was nice to get four in a row correct to close out the week.
I thought of Hershey, but associate Kraft with caramel, so that's how I went.
"Lefthanders have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side."
Casey Stengel.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

American Business
In the 1880s he developed Crystal A caramels; a product under his own name came out in 1900.
Spoiler
Who is [Milton] Hershey? Justin said Russell Stover and Jessica said Werther.
Jessica Burr: $13,000-$10,601=$2,399
Amit Kurlekar: $11,800+$5,001=$16,801...now a 1-day champion with $16,801
Justin Sausville: $8,400-$4,601=$3,799
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

Watching this game was a little odd, because I knew the outcome ahead of time, having been at the next taping day. Amit and Jessica are both great players, and I think Justin got off easy in a couple games this week, to be honest, with players making bad wagers. Amit's a super nice guy, but it would've been nice to run into Jbillygirl at my taping, too. Sorry you didn't win, but you were awesome. :)

This was a good mix of a board. Fun, and I love wine trivia. Well, I love wine.
alamble

Post by alamble »

SkoolRN wrote:Isn't it just a little unfair that Alex did his JFK and Reagan impersonations when reading the inaugural quote clues?
I might argue that it could be potentially misleading if you're not familiar with the voices (also, Alex's impersonations are often far from perfect) but yeah, it's silly. But no one's going to tell Alex to knock it off.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Hershey was my immediate first thought, and I thought it fit the time frame about right, but then unfortunately I had to overthink it and try to come up with someone that would be more known for caramel than for chocolate. I decided on Cadbury, without even knowing if the company is named after a person or not. As it turns out, it was named for a Mr. Cadbury, but they're not even really known for caramel either, and the company dates back as far as 1824, though it did seem to take off right around the turn of the century just like Hershey.

As for the other given answers, Russell Stover founded his company in 1924, and was first known for selling Eskimo Pies before moving on to candy. Werther's was founded in 1903, so it would have fit the timeframe of this FJ clue, but it was named after a town in Germany, not after a person.
SkoolRN wrote:Isn't it just a little unfair that Alex did his JFK and Reagan impersonations when reading the inaugural quote clues?
I don't know if unfair is really the word, but I always think it is a little strange that he gives extra hints like that. I totally got the Kennedy clue from the voice, and I don't know that I even know JFK's voice very well, but it was clear that he was doing a standard "Massachusetts" accent. The Reagan one I'm pretty sure I would've known without the voice, but it certainly made it blatantly obvious. I guess his William Henry Harrison impression needs work, as I was stunned that Amit missed that one, since the story of WHH becoming ill from his inauguaral address in bad weather seems to be pretty well-known. I was also surprised that Amit missed Churchill for the "Iron Curtain" speech, but I guess Truman wasn't a terrible guess since the category was about Missouri.

Hey, we at least had 2 of the 3 players make what I thought were the correct wagers today, while Justin's had me scratching my head as usual. He could have won on a triple stumper by betting $1,600 or less, but instead he bet to top the leaders's pre-FJ score by a dollar, just in case Jessica stole one out of Justin's playbook and bet nothing like he did on Wednesday.

I wondered if the categories in the Jeopardy! round were really poor ones for Justin, or if he was just physically and/or mentally drained at the start of his 5th game of the day, because he was quiet for a long time. He made a pretty impressive attempt at a comeback in DJ, but unfortunately came up empty on his Daily Double, which would put him in the lead. I was certainly glad that they were able to get through the movie category at the end, because I struggled mightily in DJ, and 5 of my 10 correct answers came in that category. That wheel category was one that kept making me feel incredibly stupid once the correct answers were given, wondering why in the heck I was unable to come up with gun...tricycle...wheelchair, and I forget the others.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Congrats on playing a great game, Jessica! I didn't think that it was an easy FJ clue, I wouldn't feel bad about missing it. I also said Werther.

It's hard to get a read on Justin's ToC chances. He had a lot of gets that impressed me, but he also had some bad misses. I am thinking that his knowledge base is suited better for the regular show and he probably will have a hard time transitioning to the ToC. I was shocked when he couldn't come up with Kurt Vonnegut on what I thought was a gift of a Daily Double. You can't be missing clues like that in ToC games.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Aw, crud. I didn't realize that was Jessica. I would have been rooting for you in arrears. Congrats on getting on the show, and I hope you had a great time and you were sooooo close. I said Hershey, and Carol Anne said Werther, and I told her she probably got it right, but I couldn't switch answers. Good thing I was wrong about her being right!

Congrats also to Justin on a very fine run that avoided Mr. Marshall's curse and a nice check forthcoming within 120 days! Hopefully he'll hear from him now. Or maybe his wife?
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

jeff6286 wrote:Hershey was my immediate first thought, and I thought it fit the time frame about right, but then unfortunately I had to overthink it and try to come up with someone that would be more known for caramel than for chocolate. I decided on Cadbury, without even knowing if the company is named after a person or not. As it turns out, it was named for a Mr. Cadbury, but they're not even really known for caramel either, and the company dates back as far as 1824, though it did seem to take off right around the turn of the century just like Hershey.

As for the other given answers, Russell Stover founded his company in 1924, and was first known for selling Eskimo Pies before moving on to candy. Werther's was founded in 1903, so it would have fit the timeframe of this FJ clue, but it was named after a town in Germany, not after a person.
I don't know if unfair is really the word, but I always think it is a little strange that he gives extra hints like that. I totally got the Kennedy clue from the voice, and I don't know that I even know JFK's voice very well, but it was clear that he was doing a standard "Massachusetts" accent. The Reagan one I'm pretty sure I would've known without the voice, but it certainly made it blatantly obvious. I guess his William Henry Harrison impression needs work, as I was stunned that Amit missed that one, since the story of WHH becoming ill from his inauguaral address in bad weather seems to be pretty well-known. I was also surprised that Amit missed Churchill for the "Iron Curtain" speech, but I guess Truman wasn't a terrible guess since the category was about Missouri.

Hey, we at least had 2 of the 3 players make what I thought were the correct wagers today, while Justin's had me scratching my head as usual. He could have won on a triple stumper by betting $1,600 or less, but instead he bet to top the leaders's pre-FJ score by a dollar, just in case Jessica stole one out of Justin's playbook and bet nothing like he did on Wednesday.

I wondered if the categories in the Jeopardy! round were really poor ones for Justin, or if he was just physically and/or mentally drained at the start of his 5th game of the day, because he was quiet for a long time. He made a pretty impressive attempt at a comeback in DJ, but unfortunately came up empty on his Daily Double, which would put him in the lead. I was certainly glad that they were able to get through the movie category at the end, because I struggled mightily in DJ, and 5 of my 10 correct answers came in that category. That wheel category was one that kept making me feel incredibly stupid once the correct answers were given, wondering why in the heck I was unable to come up with gun...tricycle...wheelchair, and I forget the others.
As one who got knocked out on the game of day two I can attest that fatigue enters into it.
Casey Stengel.
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

SkoolRN wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:Hershey was my immediate first thought, and I thought it fit the time frame about right, but then unfortunately I had to overthink it and try to come up with someone that would be more known for caramel than for chocolate. I decided on Cadbury, without even knowing if the company is named after a person or not. As it turns out, it was named for a Mr. Cadbury, but they're not even really known for caramel either, and the company dates back as far as 1824, though it did seem to take off right around the turn of the century just like Hershey.

As one who got knocked out on the fifth game of day two I can attest that fatigue enters into it.
Casey Stengel.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The GATT tariff(s) cost the players and got me as well. No doubt, we weren't alone.

Do we have a name for the rule with a game featuring a 6x champ and a boardie where it's the third person that wins? That scenario seems familiar.

How long can the list get for misses on the FJ clue?

Werther
Mars
Stover
Cadbury (category should have kept anyone from guessing that one)
Kraft

Did anyone not even get in the candy field and go off crystal for a wild guess like Lalique, Waterford, etc.?

For a regular FJ clue I try to keep things simple without overcomplicating things. I processed the clue for candy and the most likely name is Hershey. Try it this way: Name a famous U.S. candymaker? Who comes to you first? That sometimes can be the easiest way to solve the clue. There is a scope of possible names likely to be used in FJ clues. Some of the names listed above are not gonna happen in the clue to decide the match.

Justin can't get out of bronze in my book. He's good enough to get by the first round of the TOC, but I would never pick him to dominate and lead outright a game in the semifinals. His knowledge base has some unusual gaps, his buzzer is ordinary and he gets a little guess happy. That's a recipe for $5000 and goodbye.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Anyone else say Brach, as I did? At least we've got all the candy manufacturers represented.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

jeff6286 wrote:I don't know if unfair is really the word, but I always think it is a little strange that he gives extra hints like that. I totally got the Kennedy clue from the voice, and I don't know that I even know JFK's voice very well, but it was clear that he was doing a standard "Massachusetts" accent. The Reagan one I'm pretty sure I would've known without the voice, but it certainly made it blatantly obvious.
Same here on JFK. His "impression" actually steered me wrong on Reagan. I could have sworn he was doing Nixon and thought "that sounds a few years too late for Nixon's presidency, but I'll go with that based on Alex's voice".
jeff6286 wrote:I guess his William Henry Harrison impression needs work, as I was stunned that Amit missed that one, since the story of WHH becoming ill from his inauguaral address in bad weather seems to be pretty well-known.
I defy anyone on the board to name one other thing Harrison was (famously) known for during his presidency (note "dying", "being the first to die in office", "serving for 30 days", "shortest presidency" and the like are all tangentially related to the above).
alietr wrote:Aw, crud. I didn't realize that was Jessica. I would have been rooting for you in arrears.
I was rooting for her, but solely because I thought she was the most attractive contestant. :) (I did remember a boardie was playing today, forgot which one, but deduced quickly from the way the game was going that it had to be Jessica.)
SkoolRN wrote:As one who got knocked out on the game of day two I can attest that fatigue enters into it.
Has Ken ever said what kept him alert through approximately 30 taping days? (After all, being a Mormon, things like coffee and energy drinks are right out ... )
MarkBarrett wrote:Cadbury (category should have kept anyone from guessing that one)
You'd think so, but both Jessica and I (and other boardies) guessed "Werther" as well, which is neither American nor named for a businessman. (What's worse, I thought it might have been English (wrong) and stuck with it anyway (more wrong), not thinking of anyone else famous for caramel (in my mind, and the minds of many others, Hershey equals one thing and one thing only, and it ain't caramels.)
Last edited by dhkendall on Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The BAM Bored added another miss with See. Is Mary's picture not that familiar? That one surprised me with "he" in the wording.

No Whitman yet?