Tuesday, September 27, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6212, 2011-09-27

CONTESTANTS
Susan Miller, a college student from Stow, Ohio
Joe Iriana, an exterminator from Wells, Maine
Matt Douma, a standardized test scorer from Minneapolis, Minnesota (whose 1-day cash winnings total $14,100)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hello, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome again to our program. Talk about a big win for Matt yesterday. Early on he was, I believe, at negative $1,400, but he managed to keep moving up, and he was the only player to come up with the correct response in Final, so he's the defending champion today as he faces Joe and Susan, our newcomers. Welcome aboard. Good luck. Here we go--the Jeopardy! Round. And our categories are as follows...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
EDUCATION (4/5)
MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL LOGOS (5/5)
FAST FOOD MENU (4/5)
NATURE STUDY (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
DISASTERS (4/5)
I'D RATHER STAY "HOME" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Matt: 13 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Joe: 9 R, 5 W (including 1 DD)
Susan: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Matt: $4,000
Joe: $1,400
Susan: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Welcome back. Susan Miller from Ohio must like contests, because she won a contest. What was it?

Susan: It was a "talk like a pirate" contest.

Alex: That doesn't sound like much. I guess all you have to say is "argh."

Susan: Yeah, but just--just keep going on and on, and keep drinking mead until it's funnier and funnier. It works.

Alex: Wait a minute--does it get funnier if you keep drinking mead, or if your listeners keep drinking mead?

Susan: Ideally, both.

Alex: Oh, good for you. All right.

Alex: Joe Iriana, bad news for you. Uh, a few moments ago, you misspoke and added a syllable to "dirigible", and so we have to take away $1,600--

Joe: Okay.

Alex: --which means you're in second place now, with $1,400. And it says here that you have an asthmatic Siamese cat?

Joe: Yes, sir.

Alex: An asthmatic Siamese cat--how does that change that very distinct sound that those cats make?

Joe: Doesn't change it at all when he's not wheezing.

Alex: Oh. Okay. So we have a wheezing...

Joe: Yep.

Alex: [Imitates moan] Strange voice. All right.

Alex: Let's go to our champion now. Matt Douma--what's a standardized test scorer?

Matt: Well, uh, you know, every state has their own sort of standardized tests that all students have to take--

Alex: Oh, we're talking about the SATs, things like that?

Matt: Uh, you know, I don't score for SATs and SATs. Every state has sort of graduation standards or standards that they want elementary school students to meet, and so, you know, the reading and biology and math--someone has to read and grade the answers.

Alex: All right. So you don't know who the person is. It's just a number.

Matt: I do not.

Alex: You don't know male, female, age--doesn't matter.

Matt: I just get a sheet of paper and I put a number on it.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Joe found the Daily Double on the 29th clue. Matt had $7,600, Joe had $3,000, and Susan was at $2,000. Joe wagered $1,500.

NATURE STUDY $400: (Kelly of the Clue Crew cracks a nut in Molokia, HI.) The outer covering of a macadamia nut is called this; perhaps from Middle English for "house", it covers the shell, which you crack with a hammer, then enjoy
(Joe: What is the kernel?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
DISASTERS $800: 4 years before the Hindenburg, a U.S. Navy one of these plunged into the Atlantic Ocean, killing 73
(Joe: What is a dirigitible?) [Originally ruled correct as Alex did not hear the extra syllable; reversed after the first break]

FAST FOOD MENU $800: The All-American Roastburger &
Sidekickers like the Loaded Potato Bites

EDUCATION $1000: In 1980 the Department of Education was created out of this now-defunct Cabinet department

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Matt: $7,800
Susan: $2,000
Joe: $1,500
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CHANNEL SURFING (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CELEBRITIES' FAVORITE MOVIES (5/5)
AMERICAN WOMEN (4/4)
SHORT STORIES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
DRESS CASUAL (4/5)
BEFORE & AFTER (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Matt: 17 R (including 2 rebounds and 2 DDs), 1 W
Joe: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Susan: 6 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 1
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Matt snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Matt had $8,600, Joe had $1,500, and Susan was at $2,800. Matt wagered $3,000.

CHANNEL SURFING $1200: It's the largest of the islands separated from the mainland by the Mozambique Channel

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Matt who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 21st clue. Matt had $23,600, Joe had $5,500, and Susan was at $4,400. Matt wagered $6,000.

SHORT STORIES $1200: This Washington Irving character had "an insuperable aversion to all kinds of profitable labor"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
DRESS CASUAL $1200: Before bringing "Survivor" to the U.S., Mark Burnett bought these for $2 & sold them for $18 on Venice Beach
(Matt: What are sandals?)
(Alex: Less than a minute to go, Matt.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Matt: $32,800 (lock game)
Joe: $7,900
Susan: $7,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ENGLISH WRITERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; three-quarters for second place.
Matt: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $16,999 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Joe: Wager $7,301 to cover Susan.
Susan: Risk between $301 and $7,000, covering Joe's $0 bet.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
English poet Thomas Hoccleve, a contemporary of this man, called him the "firste fyndere of our fair langage"

FINAL SCORES
Susan: $7,600 + $400 = $8,000 (Who is Chaucer?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Joe: $7,900 + $7,700 = $15,600 (Who is Chaucer?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Matt: $32,800 + $7,200 = $40,000 (Who was Chaucer?) (2-day champion: $54,100)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $3,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Matt: $26,200, 30 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Joe: $9,400, 14 R, 6 W (including 1 DD)
Susan: $7,600, 10 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $43,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Matt: 31/60 = .517
Joe: 15/59 = .254
Susan: 11/58 = .190
Team: 57/63 = .905

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
I'D RATHER STAY "HOME" $200: Longing for the familiar while away at Camp Granada
(Joe: [Shakes head])

DISASTERS $1000: In 1931 flooding of this second-longest Chinese river is estimated to have killed nearly 4 million people
(Joe: What is the Han?)

EDUCATION $200: Randi Weingarten, now president of this union, also serves on the executive council of the AFL-CIO
(Joe: What is the National Education Association?)

EDUCATION $600: Since the 1950s the College Board has administered this program that lets high school kids study closer to college level
[Joe gave both listed responses.]

EDUCATION $800: (I'm Harlem Children's Zone President Geoffrey Canada.) We will do whatever it takes to make sure that your child enters & succeeds in college. That's the promise I make to each family of our students attending the HCZ Promise Academy, which is this type of school named for the contract under which it operates

NATURE STUDY $1000: Although most seals live in the ocean, some live in fresh water, like this Siberian lake, the world's deepest
(Alex: Yes, with less than a minute to go.)

CHANNEL SURFING $800: In 1903 Otto Nordenskjold named a channel in Antarctica for this country's crown prince Gustav
(Alex: Nope. Oh I'm sorry, yes, we'll accept that--[*] and Sweden.)

CELEBRITIES' FAVORITE MOVIES $400: (I'm Michael McKean.) A favorite film of mine is this Hitchcock classic in which a man tells Cary Grant, "That plane's dustin' crops where there ain't no crops"

CHANNEL SURFING $2000: Named for a British naturalist's ship, this channel lies within the islands of Tierra del Fuego
(Alex: [*] Channel, right indeed, Darwin's ship.)

BEFORE & AFTER $2000: The higher tract where heartburn originates gets a law helping servicemen go to college
[Applause for Matt's running the category]

CELEBRITIES' FAVORITE MOVIES $800: (Hi. I'm Aisha Tyler.) Given the choice between the red pill or blue pill in this 1999 movie, like Neo, I'm taking the red one because I've got to know

CELEBRITIES' FAVORITE MOVIES $1200: (Hi. I'm Anderson Cooper.) I appreciate the maxim "Never get out of the boat", a cardinal rule of this 1979 Francis Ford Coppola film

CELEBRITIES' FAVORITE MOVIES $1600: (Hi. I'm David Duchovny.) I advise you to take a chance on this Peter Sellers movie about a simple gardener who knows a lot about TV & maybe about life
(Susan: What is Being Human?)

CELEBRITIES' FAVORITE MOVIES $2000: (Hi. I'm CCH Pounder.) A favorite film of mine is this 1958 musical that featured the song "Bali Ha'i"; it was also the 1st film I ever saw in color

SHORT STORIES $400: The heroine of an O. Henry story believes she will die when the last one of these falls from the ivy
(Susan: What's the berry?)

AMERICAN WOMEN $1600: She's the woman seen here with some of her artifacts

AMERICAN WOMEN $800: This beauty seen here has been called the world's first supermodel
(Joe: Who is Cheryl Ladd?)

DRESS CASUAL $1600: Another name for a baseball jacket, or the main team representing a college in a sport
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
the husk
a dirigible
Arby's
HEW
Madagascar
Rip Van Winkle
t-shirts
Chaucer
homesick
the Yellow River (or Hwang Ho)
American Federation of Teachers (AFT)
the AP (or Advanced Placement)
a charter school
Lake Baikal
Norway (& Sweden)
North by Northwest
the Beagle
the upper G.I. Bill
The Matrix
Apocalypse Now
Being There
South Pacific
a leaf
Margaret Mead
Cheryl Tiegs
varsity
Serge
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by Serge »

I know I got to watch it live, but I'm so excited to see Suze's game tonight!
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

Serge wrote:I know I got to watch it live, but I'm so excited to see Suze's game tonight!
I unfortunately have to miss it. Poetry readings do get in the way.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

ok, here's the thing: when Joe mis-spoke on "dirigible," he had barely, barely begun to correct himself when Alex ruled him correct. (Alex actually said "yes" before Joe began to re-state, so his reaction time allowed about one-half of the first syllable to come out before he stopped himself).

Can Joe, being a savvy player and knowing FULL WELL he added a syllable and the world of post-break hurt that's coming his way, correct himself anyway? There's a (logical) rule about not being allowed to correct yourself once you're ruled incorrect. What about correcting yourself when ruled correct?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Paucle wrote:ok, here's the thing: when Joe mis-spoke on "dirigible," he had barely, barely begun to correct himself when Alex ruled him correct. (Alex actually said "yes" before Joe began to re-state, so his reaction time allowed about one-half of the first syllable to come out before he stopped himself).

Can Joe, being a savvy player and knowing FULL WELL he added a syllable and the world of post-break hurt that's coming his way, correct himself anyway? There's a (logical) rule about not being allowed to correct yourself once you're ruled incorrect. What about correcting yourself when ruled correct?
Yeah, I was wondering about that. I was saying, "Joe! Shut up! He's already said you were correct!"
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Never heard of the guy making the quote, got the right person from the spelling in the quote.

In the break right before FJ, they gave a plug for the Jeopardy website. One of the features on the site they mentioned was the message board. I've never seen them mention it before, yet it is still down. I wonder if it will be back up and running soon.

Nice try, Suze, too bad you got a tough draw in the champion. Cograts on making the show!!!
Andromus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Andromus »

Two perfect wheelhouse FJ categories in a row for me. Not good. Tomorrow's FJ will be something like "Operatic Vice-Presidents of African Countries" to balance things out.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Congrats to Susan for playing a great game!

Matt was a monster in this game. When was the last time we've seen a contestant go from winning from second place going into FJ in a crush game to having a performance like this one!? After all the great contestants we saw at the end of last season I thought that we may see a string of not so impressive players, but that has not been the case.

I had no clue on FJ. I guessed Shakespeare based on the "when in doubt go for the most obvious answer" principle. I thought that the spelling of the words might be a TOM but it got me nowhere.
Last edited by StevenH on Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

It was in Olde english, that was the TOM. My first thought was Shakespeare until I noticed that.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Bamaman wrote:Never heard of the guy making the quote, got the right person from the spelling in the quote.
Same here. I figured either the quote was alluding to (or making fun of) the author's spelling, or it was middle English, and went with the obvious.
In the break right before FJ, they gave a plug for the Jeopardy website. One of the features on the site they mentioned was the message board. I've never seen them mention it before, yet it is still down. I wonder if it will be back up and running soon.
I thought I misheard, since I was out of the room during the break. Maybe the left hand (marketing) doesn't know what the right hand (whoever is in charge of NOT running the boards) is doing?

Good try Suze. Sometimes you just run into a buzzsaw, and Matt was in the zone today.
NJCondon
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by NJCondon »

Suze, you did great! You made some tough gets, but there's nothing to be done against someone who was playing as far out of his head as Matt was. Seriously, the dude ran "Before and After;" no one's gonna beat someone who does that. Plus, your story was both amusing and well-told, which puts you far ahead of me and at least two standard deviations of J! players in the charisma category. I'm very sorry you didn't win, but you can walk away with your head held high. Congratulations!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Aarrrggghh! Bad time to run into a buzzsaw, Suze. I hope you hit the mead afterwards and it was a great time for you nonetheless!
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

The buzzer was not my friend that day. Matt was great on it in rehearsal, so I was a little worried about that. Nothing sucks more than not being able to ring in, like, ever. :)
Serge
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Serge »

Actually, we talked to Joe over drinks that evening (many drinks... good times), and he had no clue he had misspoken. I had thought the same when I watched it live, but it must've been that he was about to pick a category or something. It definitely looked like that, though. Joe has said that he would be paying attention so watch himself misspeak, since he had no knowledge or recollection of it.

Matt did have a great game. Joe and Suze had good games, too, but the luck of two DDs for Matt and one incorrect one for Joe made it a runaway win for the defending champ (which, of course, was intimidating for those of us still in the contestant pool!).

ETA: Suze and Joe were both incredible and intimidating during rehearsal. I knew it'd be a battle of solid competitors!

Suze, you're such a superstar! Such an impressive game (and those bedroom eyes...!).
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

English Writers
English poet Thomas Hoccleve, a contemporary of this man, called him the "firste fyndere of our fair langage".
Spoiler
Who is Geoffrey Chaucer?
Matt Douma: $32,800+$7,200=$40,000
Joe Iriana: $7,900+$7,700=$15,600
Susan Miller: $7,600+$400=$8,000
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

Oh, man! I forgot to watch for the bedroom eyes. Dang. I think I erased from the DVR already, too. sigh.

Impressive game to watch! Suze, I could tell you were having buzzer issues - Matt was just totally in the buzzer zone, it looked like.

Got Chaucer after a very quick detour to Shakespeare - but then realized Middle English, duh, must be Chaucer. Can't wait to see tomorrow's game.
jbillygirl
Valued Contributor

Post by jbillygirl »

Well drat. That kid was tough, tough, tough, but you fought hard and should be proud of yourself. I did not know that Nancy Kassebaum represented Kansas -- good for you for getting that, along with other things. Loved your pirate story; very colorful and well told. I can see that you are a firecracker. :) Congratulations on fighting the good fight and coming through with class!
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Serge wrote:Actually, we talked to Joe over drinks that evening (many drinks... good times), and he had no clue he had misspoken. I had thought the same when I watched it live, but it must've been that he was about to pick a category or something. It definitely looked like that, though. Joe has said that he would be paying attention so watch himself misspeak, since he had no knowledge or recollection of it.
Thanks for the inside info! That surprises me, it really looked like he was starting to re-pronounce "dirigible."

Still and all, the salient question remains: if you are fully aware that you misspoke to the point that you should have been ruled incorrect, can you correct yourself after being given credit by Alex? Will that nip the post-break reversal in the bud?
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

I heard the extra syllable in "dirigible" as it happened, but once they initially missed it, I kinda hoped they would continue to not notice it. It's funny that even though Joe was technically my opponent, I was cheering him on as well. I really wanted him to get that DD for "husk."

Watching the show, it seems like I was barely moving to buzz in at all, but I was buzzing in on almost every clue. I chose a low hold for the buzzer, tight by my hip, because I have fibromyalgia and my arms hurt when I tried higher poses with my pretend signaling device in the months before taping. But it looks like I'm just standing there. Doh!

Missing "Being There" is the one that really hurt. I'm a film buff, I never miss movie questions. That sucked.

Not a big fan of the categories tonight. Yesterday's game was my ideal, but hey, it works out how it works out. I had a helluva time on the show, and I made a group of really cool new friends. So I'm happy with my experience overall. :)