Thursday, September 29, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, September 29, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6214, 2011-09-29

CONTESTANTS
Chris Fleitas, a high school college prep counselor from San Francisco, California
Lindsy Lassere, a homemaker and fitness instructor originally from Lake Charles, Louisiana
Sergio Llorian, an attorney from New York, New York (whose 1-day cash winnings total $29,201)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Okay, thank you, Johnny. And welcome, everyone, to, uh, another edition of Jeopardy! I hope you were watching yesterday, because we had an amazing contest--Sergio and one of the other players, back and forth throughout the game. And finally, Sergio triumphing to become our new Jeopardy! champion. So that means he defends. And today we're happy to welcome Lindsy and Chris. Pick up those signaling devices, here comes the Jeopardy! Round for you. Clues are worth from $200 to $1,000 in these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
EAT-YMOLOGY (3/5)
SIDEKICKS (5/5)
ARCTIC WILDLIFE (5/5)
UNDER THIS CABINET DEPARTMENT (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
"NOT" IN FRONT (4/5)
OF THE CHILDREN (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Chris: 11 R (including 3 rebounds), 2 W
Lindsy: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Sergio: 5 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Lindsy found the Daily Double on the 9th clue. Sergio had $800, Lindsy had $1,000, and Chris was at $600. Lindsy made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,000.

UNDER THIS CABINET DEPARTMENT $800: The Directorate for Management,
The Office of Intelligence and Analysis
(Lindsy: What is Justice?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Chris: $3,000
Lindsy: $1,400
Sergio: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Chris Fleitas is a high school college prep counselor from San Francisco whose school, it seems, has had a number of very successful Jeopardy! players. I want to hear about them.

Chris: It's true. I started at this school about seven years ago. They didn't have a quiz bowl team, so I started that up. Uh, and since then, one of our alums has, uh, played in the college tournament, and then last year, one of my current students played in the Teen Tournament, and they both reached the--the semifinals.

Alex: Now, do you think that puts extra pressure on you, because if you don't do well, uh, they're gonna be able to look at you and say, "Oh, teacher..."

Chris: Are you kidding? It definitely does.

Alex: Yeah, okay, good.

Alex: Lindsy Lassere, originally from lake Charles, Louisiana. A French name. I wanna hear about your dog. 'Cause it's a special dog.

Lindsy: He is. His name is Boudreau, and when we lived overseas in Germany, he was a Red Cross visitation dog, and I used to take him to the local Army hospital, where his job was to play with the patients. Most of them are wounded service members. And he had a blast.

Alex: What kind of dog?

Lindsy: A Labrador.

Alex: Oh, Labs, beautiful animals. All right.

Alex: Sergio Llorian from New York. He is our champion. Now he had an accident that, when you first hear about it, you say, "Oh, my gosh, that would scare the living daylights out of me." You were in a subway station, and...

Sergio: It's true, and I was waiting for the train in the New York City subway, and I was leaning over to see if a train was coming, and I lost my balance and I fell onto the tracks.

Alex: No harm, no foul, though, you didn't--

Sergio: Well, I mean, I-I messed up my ankle. I had to have a couple surgeries. It was--it was pretty bad, but I survived it. No train was coming fortunately, so...

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"NOT" IN FRONT $600: Completes the title of Christopher Paul Curtis' classic novel for young adults "Bud,..."

EAT-YMOLOGY $1000: Originally traded as solid cakes, after granulation this substance was called sakkara, meaning grit or gravel
(Chris: What is salt?)

EAT-YMOLOGY $600: This fruit's name comes from the Latin Persica praecocia, meaning "early ripening peach"
(Lindsy: What is a pear?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Chris: $6,600
Lindsy: $2,800
Sergio: $1,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, September 29, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
IMMEDIATE PREDECESSORS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MATH ABBREV. & SYMBOLS (5/5)
BLUES CLUES (3/5)
SURFING THE OED (5/5) (Alex: We want you to fill in the definitions from OED Online in...)
"B"OOKS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
GIVE ME THAT OLD TIME RELIGION (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Chris: 20 R (including 3 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Sergio: 3 R, 1 W
Lindsy: 4 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Chris snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Sergio had $1,000, Lindsy had $2,800, and Chris was at $7,800. Chris wagered $4,000.

"B"OOKS $1200: This children's classic is subtitled "A Life in the Woods"
(Alex: Chris?)
(Chris: Uh...)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Chris who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 17th clue. Sergio was in the hole with -$600, Lindsy had $2,400, and Chris was at $19,400. Chris wagered $5,000.

IMMEDIATE PREDECESSORS $1600: As commander of U.N. forces in Korea, he preceded Matthew B. Ridgway

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BLUES CLUES $400: Willie Dixon had the blues, saying this hard rock group didn't credit him for "Whole Lotta Love"; the sides settled in 1987

BLUES CLUES $1600: Heard here, he popularized the blues in the U.S. & even faraway England in the 1950s

"Got my mojo working /
But it just won't work on you"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Chris: $32,400 (lock game)
Lindsy: $4,400
Sergio: $2,600

PREFINAL REMARKS
(Before the first break, Sarah Whitcomb of the Jeopardy! Clue Crew plugs the travel sponsor.)
The Clue Crew loves traveling with Lindblad Expeditions and National Geographic. It's more than a cruise--it's an expedition. See polar bears in the land of the midnight sun, and give yourself a travel experience you'll remember for the rest of your life. Start planning your expedition today at www.expeditions.com.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE 20th CENTURY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; crush for second place.
Chris: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $23,599 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Lindsy: Wager $801 to cover Sergio.
Sergio: You have the hope of surpassing Lindsy for second place if you come up with the correct response or if your opponent fails to. Bet between $1,000 and $2,598.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In February 1967 this Asian leader said his people would "never agree to negotiate under the threat of bombing"

FINAL SCORES
Sergio: $2,600 + $600 = $3,200 (Who is Ho chi Minh?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Lindsy: $4,400 + $4,000 = $8,400 (Who is Ho Chi Minh?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Chris: $32,400 + $6,500 = $38,900 (Who is Ho Chi Minh?) (New champion: $38,900)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $4,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Chris: $33,000, 31 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Lindsy: $5,400, 14 R, 5 W (including 1 DD)
Sergio: $2,600, 8 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $41,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Chris: 32/60 = .533
Lindsy: 15/59 = .254
Sergio: 9/58 = .155
Team: 56/63 = .889

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
EAT-YMOLOGY $400: This big flatfish got its name because it was largely eaten on holy days
(Lindsy: What is flounder?)

ARCTIC WILDLIFE $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from Svalbard Islands in Norway.) The Atlantic variety of this comical seabird has a parrot-like bill that can hold many fish at one time

ARCTIC WILDLIFE $600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from Svalbard Islands in Norway.) The fin whale, second only to the blue whale in size, moves so quickly through the water that it is known as this racing dog breed of the sea

ARCTIC WILDLIFE $200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from Svalbard Islands in Norway.) As an adaptation to their cold environment, these sensory organs on walruses aren't external, but they can still detect input from up to a mile away
(Chris: What are whiskers?)

OF THE CHILDREN $400: In a nursery rhyme, this woman "had so many children she didn't know what to do"
(Sergio: Who is Old Mother Hubbard?)

ARCTIC WILDLIFE $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from Svalbard Islands in Norway.) A polar bear weighs a pound at birth, but because its mother's milk is 35% this, the richest milk of any bear species, a cub can weigh 20 pounds in 3 or 4 months

ARCTIC WILDLIFE $1000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from Svalbard Islands in Norway.) During development, a reindeer's antlers have a soft covering called this, named for the luxurious fabric it resembles

SIDEKICKS $1000: Jay Chou is seen here as this sidekick in a 2011 film
(Sergio: What is The Green Hornet?)
(Alex: [*], yes. As this sidekick. You had the movie right, but not the character.)

GIVE ME THAT OLD TIME RELIGION $400: With more than a billion members, it's the largest branch of Christianity
(Lindsy: What is Baptist?)

GIVE ME THAT OLD TIME RELIGION $1600: The Theravada is the more conservative of the 2 main branches of this religion
(Sergio: What is Hinduism?)

SURFING THE OED $1200: Addubitation is "questioning oneself as though in" this
(Lindsy: What is a trial?)

MATH ABBREV. & SYMBOLS $1600: cot, also in trig
(Alex: Correct, less than a minute.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Homeland Security
Not Buddy
sugar
an apricot
Bambi
Douglas MacArthur
Led Zeppelin
Muddy Waters
Ho Chi Minh
halibut
a puffin
greyhound
ears
the woman who lived in a shoe
fat
velvet
Kato
Roman Catholicism
Buddhism
doubt
cotangent
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Thursday, September 29, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS

Post by econgator »

bumpage
laubla999
Maybe Someday Jeopardy Champion

Post by laubla999 »

The shape of TV to come?

CBC presented the show at 4pm today (probably there will be sports tonight).
And the show finished ... at 5:01pm (I didn't stay for the final credits).

Yep! A 30 minutes show (well, really, only 22?) over more than one hour.

You have two guesses on what was used to fill up the rest of the hour, and the first one doesn't count.

And the networks complain of illegal downloads ;-(

p.s. I only kept watching (intermittently) to see how long it would last. And who would win (but I won't spoil anyone).

:x
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

Jeopardy Round = Fair, 24/30 (Swept Arctic and Cabinet (too easy in Cabinet, and DoCommerce was definitely overvalued in my opinion. If treasury was a previous answer, then how hard is commerce.))

Double Jeopardy = I suck at Math, yet I got a 4/5, cosecand prevented a sweep. Only swept OED, the $2000 for Religion prevented a sweep.

That was a ballsy $4000 wager in the Books Category, and even falling to $3,800 didn't matter, he went on a tear. Almost was worried Sergio would be out before Final. Thank god it didn't happen. Sorry you had to lose Serge, well respectable player. You met the other buzzsaw of the week so far. Final = easy, once you know what war is being referenced.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx »

A FJ left over from the Teen Tournament? The year + the region + bombing = too easy. Then again, we had a math category left over from Kids Week (good question in the last clue though -- what's with all the trig!?)

What an impressive performance. I was a bit disappointed with the smallish FJ wager, but then again, it's not my money :D
laubla999 wrote:Yep! A 30 minutes show (well, really, only 22?) over more than one hour.
You have two guesses on what was used to fill up the rest of the hour, and the first one doesn't count.
40 minutes of commercials? Are you serious?! :shock:
alamble

Post by alamble »

Tough draw, Serge.

Boy howdy, Chris looked like he walked right off the set of Mad Men.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Congrats to Chris on the performance! And congrats to Sergio on being a Jeopardy champion!

Chris might have benefited from buzzer speed and an easy board similar to how Matt Douma did in his second game, but I was still impressed by him. Chris also strikes me as the type of player who does better on ToC material than regular show material. Earlier today David Madden posted on the quiz bowl message board to watch Chris's game tonight, so he may be one to watch.

FJ was an instant get for me, as well. Even though it was easy it still felt nice to know one after muffing the last few.
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

Chris was on fire in this game. It looked like an even match early on, and then he just took off like a rocket. Very well played by him.

On what planet is that math category Kids Week stuff? We didn't do trig until I was in high school, and I'm not THAT old. :)
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

Serge, it was your turn to get steamrolled. I hope you had a great time.
"Lefthanders have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side."
Casey Stengel.
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

SkoolRN wrote:Serge, it was your turn to get steamrolled. I hope you had a great time.
And congratulations to Chris.
"Lefthanders have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side."
Casey Stengel.
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

Suze wrote:Chris was on fire in this game. It looked like an even match early on, and then he just took off like a rocket. Very well played by him.

On what planet is that math category Kids Week stuff? We didn't do trig until I was in high school, and I'm not THAT old. :)
That category brought back an old cheer from my husband's engineering school that ended with:
"Secant, tangent, cosine, sine. 3.1459."
I cannot get this out of my head now.
Casey Stengel.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

The 20th Century
In February 1967 this Asian leader said his people would "never agree to negotiate under the threat of bombing".
Spoiler
Who is Ho Chi Minh?
Chris Gleitas: $32,400+$6,500=$38,900..now a 1 day champion with $38,900
Lindsy Lassere: $4,400+$4,000=$8,400
Sergio Llorian: $2,600+$600=$3,200
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Wow, yeah, my sympathies, Serge. You met with a buzzsaw in the form of Chris. Excellent buzzer speed combined with some very good low row gets. Had he not missed the Bambi DD (which, admittedly, I did too) his score would have been even more outrageous than it was. It'll be interesting to see how far he goes. Jeez, Suze, you sure picked a great taping group to be a part of! :mrgreen:
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

alamble wrote: Boy howdy, Chris looked like he walked right off the set of Mad Men.
If anyone was trying to figure out who Chris reminded them of, I think I've figured it out. He looks like Bill Hader from Saturday Night Live playing Sylar from Heroes.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I was surprised to see Jeopardy! perpetuating the apocryphal story of "The Children's Crusade".
laubla999

Post by laubla999 »

laubla999 wrote:Yep! A 30 minutes show (well, really, only 22?) over more than one hour.
xxaaaxx wrote: 40 minutes of commercials? Are you serious?! :shock:
Dead serious. And seriously p*ss*d off.
Usually I zap during ads, but I kept coming back to the same ad (I think they had it on repeat). At least 5 minutes at a time, might have been longer. I stopped caring.
I only kept the recording going to see how long they would go.
I'm switching over to the us carrier ;-(

I sent a complaint to CBC via e-mail (for all the good it will do!)
Last edited by laubla999 on Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Must've been a glitch with the affiliate. I happened to be working from home today, so caught the 4:00 broadcast on the Ottawa affiliate. When Wheel Of Fortune started at 4:30, I changed the channel.
laubla999

Post by laubla999 »

Turd Ferguson wrote:

Must've been a glitch with the affiliate. I happened to be working from home today, so caught the 4:00 broadcast on the Ottawa affiliate. When Wheel Of Fortune started at 4:30, I changed the channel.

Mine is out of Montréal. The programming was saying WOfF at 4:30pm, too, but it never came on.
Yinzer
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Yinzer »

Turd Ferguson wrote:
When Wheel Of Fortune started at 4:30, I changed the channel.
Who doesn't?

FJ was cake, though I doubted myself if they included the middle east (Israel) as Asia. I remember owning a bunch of those old Disney books and came up with Bambi, I thought his miss would make it interesting but he was just in the zone.