Wednesday, October 5, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6218, 2011-10-05

Joon Pahk game 3.

CONTESTANTS
Daniel Okobi, Jr., a medical student from Freeport, New York
Katie Baker, a staffer for a political organization originally from Mount Vernon, Ohio
Joon Pahk, a college physics teacher from Somerville, Massachusetts (whose 2-day cash winnings total $79,600)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Welcome, ladies and gentlemen. At the end of yesterday's program, I used a terrible pun with our champion Joon. I said, "Joon, you're bustin' out all over." Look at that. Close to $80,000 for just 2 wins. Can he keep it going, though? We lost a champion earlier this week who had earned more than that in just two games. So, Katie and Daniel, that's the good news for you. The bad news is, you know how good a player Joon is. Here we go--Jeopardy! Round. And the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
I'M DATING MYSELF (4/5)
4-LETTER WORDS (5/5)
MIDDLE NAMES (5/5)
SPORTS VENUES (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THE JEWISH HIGH HOLIDAYS (3/5)
RARELY QUOTED SHAKESPEAREAN DIALOGUE (5/5) (Alex: And finally we want you to name the play in...)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Joon: 16 R (including 2 rebounds), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Daniel: 8 R, 2 W
Katie: 2 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Joon: $2,000
Daniel: $1,800
Katie: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: The ups and downs of life. Daniel Okobi, Jr., one of the ups is that your family is now celebrating--your mom and dad are celebrating what anniversary?

Daniel: 30th anniversary.

Alex: Okay. The down--

Daniel: It was on Monday.

Alex: And, uh, the down part is, you are a member of the Harvard Glee Club, and you guys gave a concert in Ireland, and how many people in the audience?

Daniel: Uh, one.

[Laughter]

Alex: What--

Daniel: It was a special concert.

[Laughs]

Alex: Did you have a good time, though?

Daniel: Oh, yeah. It was great. Yeah.

Alex: All right. Good.

Alex: Let's go over to Katie Baker now. What's this about? In your household, I am not known as Alex Trebek?

Katie: No, you're not. Uh, we've been watching Jeopardy! since I was 2 years old, and when my mother was at Lamaze class when she was pregnant with my little sister, my dad would stay home and, uh, watch me, and we would watch Jeopardy! Um, but at 2, I couldn't quite pronounce the "T-R" sound yet, so I referred to you as "Alex Frebek", and so you are still affectionately known as Alex Frebek. And the first thing that my dad said when I told him that I was gonna be on Jeopardy! was, "You get to meet Alex Frebek!" So I'm very excited.

Alex: So am I.

[Laughter]

Alex: Joon Pahk. I take it you're a soccer fan, or are you a rugby fan, because you want to take your family where?

Joon: I would love to take my family to Brazil for the 2014 World Cup, and it is soccer.

Alex: Okay, it is soccer.

Joon: Yep.

Alex: Because there--isn't there an--also, uh, a World Cup in rugby, which is coming up--

Joon: There is a World Cup.

Alex: --this coming year?

Joon: Yeah, I-I think so. Yeah.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Joon found the Daily Double on the 19th clue. Joon had $2,400, Katie had $1,600, and Daniel was at $1,800. Joon made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,400.

SPORTS VENUES $1000: In the beginning this team iced the puck at the Border Cities Arena in Windsor, Ontario; then for 50 years at Olympia Stadium
(Joon: Who are the Senators?)
(Alex: With my hockey hero, Gordie Howe.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE JEWISH HIGH HOLIDAYS $1000: In ancient times on Yom Kippur, a priest laid the sins of the people upon an animal, leading to this term
(Joon: What is sacrificial lamb?)
(Daniel: What is fatted calf?)

THE JEWISH HIGH HOLIDAYS $600: Traditional Rosh Hashanah foods include this fruit, with the hope that one's merits increase in number to match its seeds

I'M DATING MYSELF $600: I'm looking forward to lots more books from this author; "Music for Chameleons" won't be the last

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Joon: $4,800
Daniel: $2,600
Katie: $600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, October 5, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
I'M DATING MYSELF (2/5)
LANGUAGES (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
SONGS ABOUT GIRLS (5/5)
NORTH TO ALASKA (5/5)
BALLET (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE "N-H-L" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Joon: 12 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Katie: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Daniel: 3 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Katie snagged the next Daily Double on the 11th clue. Joon had $11,600, Katie had $5,000, and Daniel was at $3,400. Katie made it a True Daily Double, wagering $5,000.

BALLET $1600: This ballet choreographed by Agnes de Mille is subtitled "The Courting at Burnt Ranch"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Joon who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 13th clue. Joon had $13,600, Katie had $10,000, and Daniel was at $3,400. Joon wagered $3,000.

LANGUAGES $1600: Frisian, a Germanic language, is spoken in 3 areas, each with its own dialect, along the coast of this sea
(Joon: What is the Irish Sea?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
I'M DATING MYSELF $400: I have teriyaki steak prepared just for me at my table in this restaurant founded by Rocky Aoki

I'M DATING MYSELF $1200: Safe rock climbing requires a partner; rockhounding, also called this, I can do solo

BALLET $400: "Fancy Free" follows 3 of these on leave in New York City
(Joon: What are ballerinas?)
(Alex: I don't think so, not in our Navy.)

I'M DATING MYSELF $2000: I like to take me for a ride in my Cri-cri, a one-seat type of this, 13 feet long
(Daniel: What is crib?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Joon: $16,600
Katie: $16,400
Daniel: $2,200

PREFINAL REMARKS
(Alex: We have a scoring change to announce and it affects our champion Joon. We were looking for salsa a little while ago and he said something else but our judges checked and found that his response was acceptable, so he now has $16,600, which gives him a $200 lead over his nearest competitor.)

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LITERARY TITLE CHARACTERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Joon: Wager $16,201 to cover Katie. If you feel like using Shoretegy, try wagering $11,801.
Katie: Your score is within 4/5ths of Joon's, so wager between $401 (venusian) and $11,999 (martian), beating Joon's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores while still covering against a doubled score on Daniel's part.
Daniel: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by Katie, but if Katie decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $1,800.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He gave his horse a name that partly means "nag" in Spanish; the name he gave himself refers to a piece of armor

FINAL SCORES
Daniel: $2,200 + $1,600 = $3,800 (Who is Don Quijote?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Katie: $16,400 + $5,000 = $21,400 (Who Don Quixote?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Joon: $16,600 + $16,500 = $33,100 (Who is Don Quixote?) (3-day champion: $112,700)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Joon: $22,000, 28 R, 5 W (including 2 DDs)
Katie: $13,000, 12 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Daniel: $2,200, 11 R, 4 W
Combined Coryat: $37,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Joon: 29/60 = .483
Katie: 13/59 = .220
Daniel: 12/58 = .207
Team: 54/63 = .857

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
4-LETTER WORDS $600: An eft is the juvenile terrestrial stage of this amphibian
(Daniel: What is toad?)

SPORTS VENUES $800: It's hosted 2 Olympic Games, 2 Super Bowls & one World Series; it's also home to the USC Trojans
(Joon: What's the Rose Bowl?)

THE JEWISH HIGH HOLIDAYS $800: Teruah, meant to sound like sobbing, is one type of blast on this, a ram's horn

RARELY QUOTED SHAKESPEAREAN DIALOGUE $1000: Cassio, Act I, Scene ii:
"To who?"
(Katie: What is Julius Caesar?)
(Alex: Cassio, not Cassius.)

LANGUAGES $1200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows a map of Africa on the monitor.) With around 180 million speakers worldwide, its the official language of eight countries, including the five former European colonies highlighted here

NORTH TO ALASKA $1200: This city on an island now better known for a type of grizzly bear was the capital of Russian Alaska
(Daniel: What is Sitka?)

I'M DATING MYSELF $1600: On a night of this Afro-Cuban-based dancing, I specialize in solos, called "shines"
(Joon: What is rumba?)
[Initially ruled incorrect; reversed before Final Jeopardy! after being deemed acceptable by the judges.]

SONGS ABOUT GIRLS $400: "Oh daddy dear you know you're still number one", sang Cyndi Lauper in this 1984 hit
(Alex: Are you having fun?)
(Katie: I am having so much fun!)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Detroit Red Wings
scapegoat
the pomegranate
Truman Capote
Rodeo
the North Sea
Benihana
rock collecting
sailors
an airplane
Don Quixote
a newt
the (L.A.) Coliseum
the shofar
Othello
Portuguese
Kodiak
salsa
"Girls Just Want To Have Fun"
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, October 5, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

LIterary Title Characters
He gave his horse a name that partly means "nag" in Spanish; the name he gave himself refers to a piece of armor.
Spoiler
Who is Don Quixote?
Joon Pahk: $16,600+$16,500=$33,100 ...now a 3-day champion with $112,700
Katie Baker: $16,400+$5,000=$21,400
Daniel Okobi, Jr.: $2,200+$1,600=$3,800

And for anyone who missed it, this was the clue that had its results altered after the DJ round was completed. It was in "I'm dating, myself" for $1,600, and after first being ruled incorrect, Joon was later credited with $3,200, taking him from $13,400 to $16,600 and into the lead:
On a night of this Afro-Cuban dancing, I specialize in solos, called "shines".
Spoiler
Joon said "What is Rumba?" They wanted salsa.
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

Well I'll start off by saying FJ was pretty-much an insta-get. I had to read that book for Spanish II, but forgot about the armor. As for the rest of the board, how many others besides me took the neg-bait on the first DD and said "Toronto Maple Leafs?"

IMHO, Quito belonged much closer to the top of the board. For that matter, should any but the most obscure of world capitals ever be at the bottom of the board?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Something tells me that Katie quickly went from having a lot of fun to "not quite as much" and "even less than that" after she saw the FJ clue. It's a rough way to lose.

That being said, congrats to Joon on game 3, hanging in there even after a few setbacks.

One question: did you almost fall off the riser at one point (right after the dance clue, I think) or was that a purposeful step back?

Lastly, I'm betting that we'll never see the DJ version of "I'm Dating Myself" ever again. What a dismal category.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

"this capital of Ecuador" for 2000!? (insert the old board's "shaking head" smiley here)

Is the fact that the Red Wings played in Canada for a while (or the name of their old digs) common knowledge? I'm not much of a hockey guy.

Spanish + nag + armor + title character? Free money, third slam dunk in a row. Had to be pretty disheartening to go from the lead to a razor-thin deficit on a reversal, and see an easy clue like that. Anyhow, congrats to Joon! One more win and you'll have a TOC spot sewn up :D

To the writers responsible for those "dating myself" categories: please don't do that again. Ever.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

Talk about a late scoring change affecting the outcome of a game... I feel bad for Katie but I am also pleased that Joon won.

It was nice to see two TDD attempts in one game.

I didn't get FJ. My WAG was Robin Hood.

I have no idea what those two "I'm Dating Myself" categories were about.
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

Crossword expertise paid off again with the "eft" clue. Congratulations, Joon.
"Lefthanders have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side."
Casey Stengel.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I negged on a lot of clues in this game, so I understand why Joon buzzed in incorrectly so many times. The difficulty of this board felt very uneven.

I have no reason to doubt that the judges made the right call, but regardless, that is a tough way for Katie to lose.

Instant get FJ for the third night in a row.
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

I said, "Toronto Maple Leafs." But then, I know jack about hockey. FJ was instaget. It helps to have been in a play production of Quixote.

Katie was the other person from the Tuesday taping who didn't go on then, and had to wait til Wednesday. She's a great girl and super smart, and I would have been equally happy with a win for her. Joon shouldn't have been called wrong on the clue to begin with, thus creating that awkward situation. Looking forward to another game for Joon tomorrow, and hoping no one famous dies right before the episode is set to air. :)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

xxaaaxx wrote:Is the fact that the Red Wings played in Canada for a while (or the name of their old digs) common knowledge? I'm not much of a hockey guy.
It's probably better-known that Windsor is immediately across the Detroit River from, well, Detroit.
katiedidwhat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by katiedidwhat »

I, too, guessed the Maple Leafs, but sports are my Achilles heel. And yeah, to go from leading to not and have to adjust your betting strategy would be tough to take. But I thought Katie (great name!) certainly acquitted herself overall.

And the Joon train keeps rolling on...
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Well, it *looked* like it was an exciting game, but ABC broke in with the news about Steve Jobs, and I missed everything from Katie's DD until the last clue on the board. Congratulations again, Joon. More of a TKO than a KO, but a win nonetheless.
TheGrandPiano
Very Official Member

Post by TheGrandPiano »

That was a very tight game. You are a very bright player, Mr. Pahk. You have the ability to make up deficits quickly (a $2,400 and $3,000 Daily Double) and came out on top by just a hair. I'm rooting for at least one more win for you in order to make you an "inductee" into the Tournament of Champions. It must be fun to see how we react here, huh? You have a reaaallly high three-day total. Spend the money wisely! God Bless!
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I'll second the above poster. Never run the "I'm dating myself" category ever again.

FJ--thought about Sancho Panza, went the right way.
mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

Wow! What a game. I have to admit, I did a little happy dance after the commercial and Alex announced the score change. (I was pretty sure from my limited knowledge of latin ballroom that rumba was also correct). And Joon, you just seem like a very likeable and smart guy. Hope you make/made the ToC!
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Another neg of Maple Leafs here on the first DD. :evil:

And the third ridiculously easy FJ in a row. A Spanish story about a guy on a horse -- what else could it be but Don Quixote? (I briefly considered "El Cid," but that was only to give myself something else to think about). If this keeps up, we'll have record numbers of people checking the "5/5" option in the weekly poll.

I hated the "I'm dating myself" categories, which collectively accounted for 5 clams by me in the two rounds.

In addition to Quito being about four rows too low, I felt that the Yukon River for $2K was also substantially overvalued.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I've never read Don Quixote. All I know is its about a Spanish guy who went around tilting at windmills. That was enough to get me FJ pretty quickly, thgough it took me a few seconds to wade through the wording to get what they wanted.

I also had the Maple Leafs.

I think Katie got a raw deal. Had she known the "real" scores, she might have played differantly. Maybe she tries to buzz in on the last clue, knowing she needs it to keep Joon from passing her.

Not Joon's best game. He fell behind and made some bad mistakes when he should have clammed. Still, a win's a win and one more puts him in the TOC.

Quito was overvalued, though wading through all tghe blah blah blahs took a bit of an effort. At first I thought they wanted the name of the jungle.

I didn't like the DJ Dating category, but they've had versions of that before under other names.

Am I dating myself by geting Capote from the picture?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Yes, it's a shame the judges could not have ruled Joon's rumba correct on the spot or stopped tape to check. Katie bet it all on her DD, so I guess we have to credit her for betting the cover plus one if she had maintained her lead entering FJ?

After the score change I was kind of hopeful for Katie to bet it all and for Joon to offer the tie. With the Sony board down I haven't been over there to look at the gallery of players and howdies this season, so I don't know (and don't want to know) if the tie was even a possibility.

I'll join the crowd with the comments that already beat me here:

Guessed Toronto's hockey team
Eft = crossword puzzle staple
Yes, bet all of 2400 on first round DD
What was up with Joon's backward step off the platform?
Quito for 2000? - I thought I had lost track of the clue selection amount.
Capote on the picture with no words needed.
Quixote = Impossible dream for an FJ clue

I have to go against the crowd on the Dating Myself categories as I went 8/10 on those. I knew the players were in trouble when they didn't get Benihana.

Memo to Alex: Do not open tomorrow's show with a mention about men winning the first 13 games of the season. That will knock Joon out of TOC chances. There's nothing wrong with Zach's humidor keeping the spiderwebs on it for another game or two.