Thursday, October 6, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, October 6, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6219, 2011-10-06

Joon Pahk game 4.

CONTESTANTS
Franny Howes, a graduate student in rhetoric and writing from Blacksburg, Virginia
Ted Simmons, an executive compensation consultant from Chicago, Illinois
Joon Pahk, a college physics teacher from Somerville, Massachusetts (whose 3-day cash winnings total $112,700)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny, and thank you, ladies and gentlemen. It's good to have you with us once again. A bit of a scare for Joon Pahk on yesterday's program. It was very close at the end of Double Jeopardy! but a big wager in final and a correct response has enabled him to remain champion, with an average of about $38,000 per victory. So, Franny and Ted, be warned--the guy is good. But good luck to all three of you. Here we go--Jeopardy! Round. We'll begin with these categories in play...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
OCTOBERFEST (5/5)
SCIENCE FICTION (5/5)
RIGHT "E" (5/5)
TIDY (5/5)
LEFTY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LUCY (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Joon: 14 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Franny: 10 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Ted: 6 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 0
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $0

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Joon: $3,400
Franny: $3,200
Ted: -$800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Franny Howes is a graduate student in rhetoric and writing, which means what, Franny?

Franny: Well, I study writing in all its forms. Um, I'm aspiring to be a college writing teacher at various levels. I specialize in comics and graphic novels, which are really fascinating.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Ted, over to you now. Ted Simmons--executive compensation consultant. You tell companies, uh, what they should be paying their executives? Is that, uh, about--

Ted: We work on behalf of the board of directors for companies.

Alex: Uh-huh.

Ted: And we try and help them figure out what's an appropriate way to pay the executives.

Alex: Uh-huh. So you have a tough job?

Ted: Sure.

[Laughter]

Alex: Are you well-paid? Do you have, uh, somebody deciding how much, uh, your executive compensation is going to be?

Ted: My company takes care of me very well.

Alex: All right. Good to know there.

Alex: All right. Joon Pahk is our champion. He's very good at playing Jeopardy! He's a good crossword puzzle solver, and he also competes in other tournaments. Bridge?

Joon: Yes, um, I used to play a lot of bridge when I was younger, and I actually, uh, went overseas to represent the U.S. in a couple of international bridge competitions for young players.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Joon found the Daily Double on the 20th clue. Joon had $4,000, Ted had $400, and Franny was at $3,600. Joon wagered $2,400.

LEFTY $800: The ideology promoted by the leader of this South American country has become known as "Chavismo"
(Alex: [*], in honor of Hugo Chavez.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Joon: $8,200
Franny: $6,600
Ted: $2,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, October 6, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE MOTION OF THE OCEAN (4/5)
BROADWAY MUSICALS BY CHARACTERS (4/5)
AWARDS & HONORS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WHAT'S THE BIG IDEA? (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ANGRY WORDS (4/5)
THIS "LAND" IS YOUR LAND (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Franny: 9 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Joon: 9 R, 3 W
Ted: 6 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ted snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Joon had $8,600, Ted had $3,000, and Franny was at $6,600. Ted wagered $2,000.

WHAT'S THE BIG IDEA? $1200: The political philosophy of "minimum government, maximum freedom", or a party whose motto is just that

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Franny who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 14th clue. Joon had $9,800, Ted had $5,400, and Franny was at $11,800. Franny wagered $2,200.

AWARDS & HONORS $1600: Seems odd, but in 1947 Columbia University received a special one of these prizes for its administration of those prizes

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WHAT'S THE BIG IDEA? $1600: "How Philosophy Can Save Your Life" says this Greek suggested, "opt for the good life" & "thrive on... simple pleasures"
(Joon: Who is Socrates?)

BROADWAY MUSICALS BY CHARACTERS $1200: Tony Manero,
Stephanie,
Bobby C.

AWARDS & HONORS $2000: This medal given by the NAACP is named for a former chairman of its board of directors

THIS "LAND" IS YOUR LAND $1600: Before the euro, it used the punt
(Joon: What is Finland?)

ANGRY WORDS $1600: There's a body joint within this verb that means to irritate you

THE MOTION OF THE OCEAN $2000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows an animation on the monitor.) When waves hit a beach at an angle, part of their energy is directed parallel to the land, generating a current called this; the "men" of the same name are dockworkers

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Franny: $17,600
Joon: $14,200
Ted: $8,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
OSCAR NOMINATIONS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Franny: Wager $10,801 to cover Joon.
Joon: You have to wager $2,201 to cover Ted's doubled score, but certainly no more than $5,999, so as to force Ted to be right to have a chance at winning.
Ted: Think about risking $1,400 or less, thereby beating Franny on the Triple Stumper (should Franny wager to cover Joon's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The only time 3 actors from the same movie were nominated for Best Actor was for this high seas film

FINAL SCORES
Ted: $8,200 - $8,200 = $0 (What is The Perfect Storm) (3rd place: $1,000)
Joon: $14,200 + $2,500 = $16,700 (What is Mutiny on the Bounty?) (4-day champion: $129,400)
Franny: $17,600 - $12,400 = $5,200 (What is Down Periscope?) (2nd place: $2,000)
(Alex: [*], the one in 1935, with Charles Laughton and Clark Gable and Franchot Tone.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Franny: $17,000, 19 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Joon: $12,600, 23 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Ted: $7,400, 12 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Combined Coryat: $37,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Joon: 24/59 = .407
Franny: 19/59 = .322
Ted: 12/59 = .203
Team: 55/63 = .873

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
OCTOBERFEST $400: On Oct. 3, 1951 Bobby Thomson hit his famous home run & the Soviets tested one of these
(Alex: Yes, we'll accept that.)

SCIENCE FICTION $800: The 1932 film "Island of Lost Souls" was based on this 1896 novel by H.G. Wells
(Ted: What is The Time Machine?)

OCTOBERFEST $800: Melvil Dewey co-founded this group, the ALA, in Philadelphia on October 6, 1876
(Joon: What is the American Literary Association?)

OCTOBERFEST $1000: On Oct. 2, 1187 this Muslim leader's forces recaptured Jerusalem from the Crusaders, who'd held it for 88 years
(Ted: Who is Suleyman?)

TIDY $1000: Invented in 1988, this hand sanitizer comes in spray, wipe & goo-from-the-pump forms
(Alex: Yes, with less than a minute to go.)

THE MOTION OF THE OCEAN $400: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows a map on the monitor.) During the winter, the Somali current flows south & west; in the summer, it changes course & flows in the opposite direction due to the winds of this Indian Ocean storm season

AWARDS & HONORS $1200: This medal goes to the artist of the most distinguished American picture book for children; Chris Van Allsburg won for "Jumanji"
(Joon: What is the Newbery?)

AWARDS & HONORS $800: (I'm Chevy Chase.) In 1993 I was honored as Man of the Year by this Harvard theatrical society

ANGRY WORDS $1200: It belonged to Khan in a 1982 "Star Trek" title
(Alex: Yes, with a minute to go.)

THE MOTION OF THE OCEAN $1200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows a map on the monitor.) Warm water currents cool & sink in the North Atlantic, then are carried into the Indian & Pacific oceans along the system known as the global this 2-word term, like something you might find on an assembly line

CORRECT RESPONSES
Venezuela
libertarian
the Pulitzers
Epicurus
Saturday Night Fever
the Spingarn Medal
Ireland
rankle
longshore currents
Mutiny on the Bounty
a nuclear bomb
The Island of Dr. Moreau
the American Library Association
Saladin (or Ṣalāḥ ad-Dīn)
Purell
the monsoon season
the Caldecott
the Hasty Pudding
wrath
a conveyor belt
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Thurday, October 6, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

Ten plus Twenday equals Thurday.

edit: it's been fixed. Hoor(d)ay!
Last edited by seaborgium on Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx »

I thought Joon was a goner when he was doubled up midway through the round, but he recovered nicely and won on the sole get. Great game! Welcome to the TOC Joon :D

Most movie buffs will probably find today's FJ as easy as the other 3 FJs this week, but I'll admit, without the "high seas" TOM, I probably would've WAGged The Godfather, and the right answer was still something of a guess. Oh well, I'll take it.
ej!fan
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by ej!fan »

Joon got lucky today. It's usually a good idea if you're in second place to bet enough to pass the leader's original total. The wicked math skills I saw the other day weren't as evident today.

That said. He's a likable guy and I wish him continued retro good luck.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

ej!fan wrote:Joon got lucky today. It's usually a good idea if you're in second place to bet enough to pass the leader's original total. The wicked math skills I saw the other day weren't as evident today.

That said. He's a likable guy and I wish him continued retro good luck.
EDIT: having seen their scores, no way Franny doesn't make the shutout wager, but yeah, the extra 1000 would've been optimal.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
NoName84

Post by NoName84 »

Sometimes only knowing one critically-acclaimed "high seas" film can be a good thing.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Grats to Joon on earning a ToC spot! I also thought that he was going to be locked out when there were about 10 clues left in DJ.

I thought that this board was poorly-written. The FJ clue was good, but I had no idea on it.

Joon will be gold in my ToC rankings. He might have faltered a little in these last two games but I have no doubt that he will do well on ToC clues.
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

Joon's FJ wager is eminently defensible. He wins on a triple stumper.

He let out quite a sigh when his correct FJ response was revealed.

Lately Alex has been saying that some of the third place contestants were still alive going into FJ when they really weren't. Tonight he didn't say anything about the guy in third place.

With four wins and $129,400, Joon moves into tenth place in the 2010-11 ToC standings, unless he doesn't. ;)
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

Yes, Joon's bet was sound, though of course there was some risk. There always is. (Well, almost always.)

I sweated out that FJ, but managed to come up with Mutiny On the Bounty in time. I'm a movie buff, so I had to wade through a lot of crappy sailing movies before getting that far back in time.
Love the Broadway character category. Can we have one every week? :)

Franny was a very strong player. It impresses me more to see Joon win a game like this than it does when it's a runaway or close to one.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Oscar Nominations
The only time 3 actors from the same movie were nominated for best actor was for this high seas film.
Spoiler
What is Mutiny on the Bounty? Ted said The Perfect Storm and Franny said Down Periscope

Franny Howes: $17,600-$12,400=$5,200
Joon Pahk: $14,200+$2,500=$16,700...now a 4-day champion with $129,400
Ted Simmons: $8,200-$8,200=$0
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

seaborgium wrote:Ten plus Twenday equals Thurday.
I don't know *what* you're talking about!
alietr
Site Admin

Re: Thursday, October 6, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

I lost the 50/50 on Mutiny and Mister Roberts. At least with Mister Roberts I could think of 3 actors right away; couldn't come up with a 3rd for Mutiny (and still can't). Rats.

And I guess we can now officially welcome Joon into the TOC. Which he already taped.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I still say Kelsey Grammer got robbed for Down Periscope, and Rob Schneider was pretty darn good, but I don't know who could have gotten the 3rd nomination.

As for Joon's wager, I agree that he should have at the least covered Franny's pre-FJ score, since it only would have cost him another $1,000, and that extra $1,000 wouldn't have affected his position relative to Ted in 3rd place. He could have bet up to $5,999 and it likely wouldn't have made any difference in his final position, whether he was right or wrong. It's possible that Joon watched this tonight and asked the exact same question, wondering why he didn't wager enough to cover her pre-FJ score, but I think it's also possible that he felt pretty confident that she would make the shutout wager. Either way, he was probably quite nervous for that brief moment after his response was ruled correct but before her wager was revealed, as Alex pointed out that he was not yet in the lead. The way Franny played the game, hunting for Daily Doubles, led me to believe she was a pretty savvy player, so I didn't think there was much of a chance that she failed to make the shutout wager. I also figured that the Oscar category wouldn't frighten her, after she nearly ran the Broadway Musical category. I'm sure not every Broadway lover is a big movie fan, but I suspect that the two are often pretty closely tied.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote:I lost the 50/50 on Mutiny and Mister Roberts.
I was just the opposite: I won the 50/50/90 between Mutiny and The Caine Mutiny.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

econgator wrote:I won the 50/50/90 between Mutiny and The Caine Mutiny.
Wish I could say the same. :(

Sorry Sara, you had my support.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

I got the FJ, but I was only moderately confident in my guess until the reveal. It was more a process of elimination -- I started with "Titanic" and went through "Caine Mutiny" and "Captains Courageous" (even briefly detouring to "The Poseidon Adventure" -- hey, those 1970s disaster movies did feature all-star casts), but none of those seemed more likely than MOTB to be correct.

Broadway musicals categories are often purveyors of doom for me, but I gotta love it when those musicals include H-Bomb cinematic favorites "Footloose" and "Saturday Night Fever" (the latter of which I didn't even know had been a Broadway show). :mrgreen:

I didn't understand the title of the "right 'E'" category, since the correct responses all started with that letter.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had a strong feeling my quest for a perfect week was over when I saw the category and that feeling was confirmed when I saw the answer.

Closest I came was Captains Courageous, wound up with Moby Dick.

I said a while back Buddy would be the last one in, now he needs to hang on just a while longer.

Double whammy for Sara today. She gets booted from the TOC (assuming Joon doesn't go on a real tear) and she also lost in the rerun game today.
TheGrandPiano
Very Official Member

Post by TheGrandPiano »

Well, our showing here was pre-empted by a lottery...something.... but I was happily able to find out that Joon pulled out another good game. Bravo! You have really put up an impressive performance considering the extrenuating circumstances to be a Tournament qualifier. Three four-day winners have already been knocked out! It will be nice seeing you wrap the week up. Keep it going!
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

Kind of an oddity in FJ since one could have easily been thinking of the remake (starring brando, trevor howard, and richard harris) and gotten it right anway. Not that it threw me off- i got stuck on Jaws.

Also thought it a bit odd that they BMS'd Bush for the 21st centurn pres. I think there's only been one so far.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.