Monday, October 10, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, October 10, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6221, 2011-10-10

Joon Pahk game 6.

CONTESTANTS
Jared Balkman, a vending route driver from Appleton, Wisconsin
Hannah Wachs, an elementary school teacher from Irvine, California
Joon Pahk, a college physics teacher from Somerville, Massachusetts (whose 5-day cash winnings total $146,200)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny, and thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for joining us once again at the start of what should be another exciting week. So far this season, our champions have been winning a lot of money, averaging around $30,000. That's certainly the case with Joon here, and he gets to defend again against Jared and Hannah, the newcomers. Welcome aboard. Good luck. Here we go--the Jeopardy! Round. And the categories you're going to want to do well in...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CELEBRITY MEMOIRS (3/5)
SCRAMBLED KEGS (5/5)
MONEY, MONEY, MONEY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE RIVER'S TRIBUTARIES (4/5) (Alex: We'll give them to you. You tell us the main river.)
THIS YEAR IN HISTORY (5/5)
ADJECTIVES OF THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS (5/5) (Jack Abbott: Dramatic, sensual, intense--these are some of the [*] and today we'll bring you more.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Joon: 17 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Hannah: 6 R, 1 W
Jared: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Joon found the Daily Double on the 13th clue. Joon had $3,000, Hannah had $2,000, and Jared had nothing in the bank. Joon wagered $2,400.

MONEY, MONEY, MONEY $800: Released by the U.S. Mint in January 1999, the first quarter honoring a state honored this one
(Alex: In order of admission to the Union, [*] was first, and that takes you to $5,400.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Joon: $5,800
Hannah: $3,000
Jared: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Jared Balkman is the first young man we introduced on our program today. He's from Wisconsin, and he has coauthored a paper on something that I am not at all familiar with. What is it?

Jared: Vowel movements, Alex.

Alex: What's special about Wisconsin vowel movements?

Jared: Um, well, uh, the last, uh, couple years in college, I, um, I sort of, uh, got together with a pretty inspirational professor of sociolinguistics, and she was interested in some dialect features, and, you know, there's some ways that people talk in Wisconsin that are unique, and, um--

Alex: And is that due to the European influence, uh--

Jared: In s--yeah. For--for some things, yeah.

Alex: Yeah?

Jared: Um, there's, uh, there's a lot of influence from the German and other regions.

Alex: Right. I was going to say. All right. Well, good for you.

Alex: Let's move on to Hannah now. Hannah Wachs. Quite often when we have contestants on our program, they have interesting stories to tell about the moment when their husbands proposed...

Hannah: Oh.

Alex: And you have one that was a little unique also.

Hannah: Well, my husband took me on a hike to the top of mount Hollywood. It's a beautiful viewpoint, if people haven't seen it, and just as we got to the top and he's getting out the ring and down on one knee, a bus full of tourists pulls up behind us, and I think we got some applause, and they shared some champagne, and a good time was had by all.

Alex: They shared champagne?

Hannah: A few of them--

Alex: They had champagne, or you had--

Hannah: No, we--we did, so their story on Jeopardy! is "One time I got champagne at the top of Mount Hollywood,"
so...

Alex: [Chuckles] Okay.

Alex: Joon Pahk from Somerville, Massachusetts. Last week when we introduced you, we talked about crossword puzzles. Now I'm curious. You have created some crossword puzzles, as have some of our writers. What comes first? Is it the grid, and you get a word, and then you start building from that, or is it a concept? What is it?

Joon: Um, most crossword puzzles have a theme, and so you start with a theme, which is some unifying idea that connects three or four or--of the longest answers in the puzzle, so it might be some kind of wordplay or things that have something in common, and then you--you put those in your grid first, and then you start to do the fill--fill in the other words around it.

Alex: All righty.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CELEBRITY MEMOIRS $600: "Stories I Only Tell My Friends" includes his days in the Brat Pack & his romance with Princess Stephanie of Monaco

CELEBRITY MEMOIRS $1000: This country star called her 2011 memoir "From This Moment On", also the name of one of her hit songs

THE RIVER'S TRIBUTARIES $600: Parma,
Trebbia,
Ticino
(Jared: What is the Tiber?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Joon: $11,400
Hannah: $2,800
Jared: $1,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, October 10, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
"A" IN MATH (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
NAMES IN SONG TITLES (5/5)
SISTER SISTER (4/5)
TENNESSEE WILLIAMS (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
CONSTITUTIONAL NO-NOs (5/5)
CANINE WORDS & PHRASES (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Joon: 13 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Hannah: 7 R, 0 W
Jared: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Joon snagged the next Daily Double on the 6th clue. Joon had $14,200, Hannah had $3,200, and Jared was at $3,000. Joon made it a True Daily Double, wagering $14,200.

"A" IN MATH $2000: It's the length from the base of a cone to the apex

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Joon who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 11th clue. Joon had $30,400, Hannah had $3,200, and Jared was at $3,000. Joon wagered $4,000.

TENNESSEE WILLIAMS $2000: In this 1950 play, a dressmaker's deceased husband & her new boyfriend both sport the title art on their chests
(Alex: You've been very dominant, and, you know, if you made this a True Daily Double, you could--)
(Joon: Not a chance!)
(Alex: --come very close to setting a new 1-day record.)
(Alex: Joon?)
(Joon: What is Clothes for a Summer Hotel?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TENNESSEE WILLIAMS $400: Williams believed this was his best long play because of "the kingly magnitude of Big Daddy"
(Joon: What is Some Like It Hot?)

TENNESSEE WILLIAMS $1200: Born Thomas, Williams may have first used his nickname in this Tennessee port for a writing contest

SISTER SISTER $2000: Last name of sisters Loretta & Linda, U.S. representatives from California

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Joon: $31,200 (lock game)
Hannah: $11,200
Jared: $10,200

PREFINAL REMARKS
Alex: Hannah and Jared moved up nicely, and on an ordinary day or an average day, your scores would have put you in contention, very much so, but today belonged to Joon again. Here's the Final Jeopardy! category...

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE REVOLUTIONARY WAR

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; three-quarters for second place.
Joon: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $8,799 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Hannah: Wager $9,201 to cover Jared.
Jared: Risk between $1,001 and $8,200, covering Hannah's $0 bet.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He was executed in 1780 & buried in Tappan, New York; his remains were moved to Westminster Abbey in 1821

FINAL SCORES
Jared: $10,200 - $1,100 = $9,100 (Who is Benedict Arnold?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Hannah: $11,200 - $9,201 = $1,999 (Who is Benedict Arnold?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Joon: $31,200 - $7,500 = $23,700 (Who is Benedict Arnold?) (6-day champion: $169,900)
(Alex: [Revealing Jared's response] Sorry. He negotiated with Benedict, but it was not him.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $5,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Joon: $21,400, 30 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Hannah: $11,200, 13 R, 1 W
Jared: $10,200, 10 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $42,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Joon: 30/61 = .492
Hannah: 13/58 = .224
Jared: 10/58 = .172
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
MONEY, MONEY, MONEY $600: Seen here is one of these currency units from a country that's in the zone

ADJECTIVES OF THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS $200: "Abby, I hear The Naked Heiress is gonna be on Jeopardy! that's huge!"
"Mom, please. I am rich and famous." [Sighs]
"Honey, don't you think you're being..."

...this adjective that means "world-weary" & "cynical"--it doesn't mean "covered in green gemstones"

MONEY, MONEY, MONEY $1000: The 50,000-rial note of this Middle East country is seen here

ADJECTIVES OF THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS $400: "We can never do this again. Nobody, and I mean nobody, can know about it."
"
Tres romantic, Nick. What are you implying, that I'm not..."

...this 11-letter adjective meaning reliable & responsible like a Boy Scout

THE RIVER'S TRIBUTARIES $800: Moselle,
Main,
Neckar
(Hannah: What is the Seine?)

ADJECTIVES OF THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS $600: "Please, Lily, understand, everything I did was to keep you and the twins safe."
"Cane, you pretended that you were dead and made me think that I was sleeping with a ghost. I ended up in an insane asylum. You're..."

...this 10-letter adjective from the Latin for "look down on" (& favored by Daffy Duck on occasion)

ADJECTIVES OF THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS $800: "Oh, Jack, it feels just like yesterday that you and Diane and I were celebrating the IPO."
"I've had my eye on you since before Diane died, and now I have even more reason to be..."

...this doubtful word that's in the title of Elvis' last No. 1 pop hit

ADJECTIVES OF THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS $1000: "Dear God. You manipulate everyone around you, just like a marionette. You are downright..."
...this adjective, also the title of a hit Broadway musical that features Munchkins & flying monkeys
(Alex: I've gotta get me a role on The Young and the Restless.)

"A" IN MATH $1200: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew reports from the trading floor of the New York Stock Exchange.) The Exchange now allows brokers on the floor to execute trades from handheld devices using programs called "algos", short for this type of step-by-step mathematical process

CANINE WORDS & PHRASES $800: They're seen here

CANINE WORDS & PHRASES $1600: This canine cliche means you should avoid disturbing a calm situation
(Joon: What is "Never cry wolf"?)

CANINE WORDS & PHRASES $2000: In 2011, Orrin Hatch used a picture to indicate he felt a Senate hearing had become this

CORRECT RESPONSES
Delaware
Rob Lowe
Shania Twain
the Po
the altitude
The Rose Tattoo
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
Memphis
Sanchez
Major John André
the euro
jaded
Iran
trustworthy
the Rhine
despicable
suspicious
wicked
an algorithm
dog tags
Let sleeping dogs lie
a dog and pony show
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, October 10, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILE

Post by jeff6286 »

The Revolutionary War
He was executed in 1780 & buried in Tappan, New York; his remains were moved to Westminster Abbey in 1821.
Spoiler
Who is Major John Andre? All 3 players said Benedict Arnold.
Joon Pahk: $31,200-$7,500=$23,700 ...now a 6-day champion with $169,900
Hannah Wachs: $11,200-$9,201=$1,999
Jared Balkman: $10,200-$1,100=$9,100
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Samer
Valued Contributor

Post by Samer »

Warning:

After today, some of you might actually be thinking, "An Oprah category would be better than this!" :shock:
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

"Y&R on Jeopardy!
Jeopardy! will feature a special category about The Young and the Restless with some of your favorite cast on Monday!
Participating cast members include Genie Francis, Stephen Nichols, Jeanne Cooper, Joshua Morrow, Michelle Stafford, Michael Muhney, Christel Kahlil, Daniel Goddard, Eileen Davidson, Marcy Rylan, Peter Bergman, and Tristan Rogers. "
http://www.theyoungandtherestless.com/m ... _6647.html

Oy vey.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

Suze wrote:"Y&R on Jeopardy!
Jeopardy! will feature a special category about The Young and the Restless with some of your favorite cast on Monday!
Participating cast members include Genie Francis, Stephen Nichols, Jeanne Cooper, Joshua Morrow, Michelle Stafford, Michael Muhney, Christel Kahlil, Daniel Goddard, Eileen Davidson, Marcy Rylan, Peter Bergman, and Tristan Rogers. "

Oy vey.
oh yeah, that. somebody get a stopwatch out and see if those clues were longer than the pan am category.
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

For the clue asking what senators have to be for 9 years, I said 21. Judges?
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Spoiler
Joon wins his sixth game. And again, I won't say what contestants also appeared on the Sony J! site 20 second blurb about this week's shows, but it was spoiled that Joon would win at least one game this week, as they showed Joon with two different sets of contestants whom I won't mention(in case some haven't looked at it yet). Seems to me the 20 second blurb should either be category reveals, maybe one clue read, maybe a comment from Alex, or just showing a wide shot from the MOnday show only, but Sony still likes to spoil stuff.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I'd recommend burning all evidence of that godawful Y&R category, but then future writers might forget it existed and try something similar. Perhaps corporal punishment...
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

Insatget on FJ, probably because his trial took place a couple of miles from where I live and the tavern where he was held prisoner is one of my favorite places for Sunday brunch. Also the spot where he and Arnold exchanged the plans is a local kayak launch.
"Lefthanders have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side."
Casey Stengel.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jpahk wrote:

Oy vey.
oh yeah, that. somebody get a stopwatch out and see if those clues were longer than the pan am category.
We'll just call it a tie and declare the loser to be us. :)

Another ballsy wager on the DD -- which I was yelling at the screen for you to make! -- and another excellent win. Congrats!

I had Arnold for about 24 seconds, although I kept thinking, "Arnold wasn't executed, was he?" I finally realized that he wasn't, but John Andre was and I locked that in.
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

[quote="xxaaaxx"]I'd recommend burning all evidence of that godawful Y&R category, but then future writers may forget it existed and try something similar in the future. Perhaps corporal punishment...[/quote
Works for me.
"Lefthanders have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side."
Casey Stengel.
legendneverdies

Oy vey.
Peter Bergman did $100,000 Pyramid in 1991(JOhn Davidson version) as a celeb. Melody Thomas was a pretty good player on that show back in the day, but other than that, not sure how much these people belong on game shows(a few of these people I think competed on celebrity weeks of Family Feud with either Ray Combs or Richard Karn), Tristan and Genie were on General Hospital in the 80s. But they did clear both boards despite the celeb category.
legendneverdies

econgator wrote:Another ballsy wager on the DD -- which I was yelling at the screen for you to make! -- and another excellent win. Congrats!
I suspect the DD might have made it a lock game for him, without that, and if Joon had had a higher wager on his missed Tennessee WIlliams DD, it's possible Hanna or Jared might have won with shrewd wagering.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

I was expecting TENNESSEE WILLIAMS to be people from Tennessee with first/last name "William"

At clue 0 on FJ. Guessed "Who was Cornwallis?"
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

legendneverdies wrote:
Spoiler
Joon wins his sixth game. And again, I won't say what contestants also appeared on the Sony J! site 20 second blurb about this week's shows, but it was spoiled that Joon would win at least one game this week, as they showed Joon with two different sets of contestants whom I won't mention(in case some haven't looked at it yet). Seems to me the 20 second blurb should either be category reveals, maybe one clue read, maybe a comment from Alex, or just showing a wide shot from the MOnday show only, but Sony still likes to spoil stuff.

Years ago, they actually did promos with the scores blue-screened out.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

Up to 8th all time. I need to mention though. In the time since Brian Weikle's run in 2003, he's always been in the Top 10 in winnings all time. Joon, you have demoted him out of the Top 10 to 11th. Congrats. :)

As for the Daily Double, ballsy wager in such an easy category. Paid off wisely, considering Hannah was right behind you most of the game. Due to his silence at the beginning I was a bit worried that Jared wouldn't fare well by the end. However, he showed he was a worthy competitor.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Did anybody else only know this FJ because a similar came up as a FJ in the UToC? I actually thought that it was a pretty tough clue and would have had no idea otherwise.

Despite the Y&R category I still found this to be a good board. "Poll tax" was overvalued at $2000, though.

I thought Joon would bet big on the math DD but I wasn't expecting him to make it true. I should have known better. I also thought that he would make a big wager, maybe around $10,000, on the Tennessee Williams Daily Double, but it's a good thing that he didn't.

I am glad that I knew The Rose Tattoo but I thought that it was a wicked tough clue, even for $2000. I remember a factoid in quiz bowl coming up about it that mentioned that it is Williams' only play with a happy ending.

I have Joon ranked number 2 in my rankings for the next ToC. His knowledge base is incredible, he has good buzzer speed, and he is very composed.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

But nobody has pointed out the truly amazing thing about this game -- they cleared they J! board! I didn't think that was going to be possible!

I said Benedict Arnold instantly and pressed skip on the DVR. Whoops! I knew there was something wrong with that because I thought he died in England, but I wasn't coming up with anyone else.

Congrats again, Joon! Yet another impressive outing. Can I ask a question? How come you're introduced as a 'teacher' as opposed to a 'professor'?
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

StevenH wrote:Did anybody else only know this FJ because a similar came up as a FJ in the UToC? I actually thought that it was a pretty tough clue and would have had no idea otherwise.

I have Joon ranked number 2 in my rankings for the next ToC. His knowledge base is incredible, he has good buzzer speed, and he is very composed.
Actually, I confused myself with someone very obscure from the area on Final with Claudius Smith or Benedict Arnold. Reason I thought of Claudius Smith is he was busted in the Rockland-Orange County area around that time. Ended up going with Smith. (If SkoolRN knows her history well enough of where she lives, she should know who I am referencing)

Your ToC standings are taking another shake, that should be fun. I spent some time the other day re-reading your thoughts. This ToC is getting tougher. (Realistically, do you really expect him to win till November 1?)
Last edited by Roadgeek Adam on Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013