Monday, December 3, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Monday, December 3, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by econgator »

soxfan99 wrote:I request the "Call Me Maybe" question for one of the extra ones in this week's poll.
Even I got that one. I think it was the only one in the category I did get.
soxfan99
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by soxfan99 »

ElendilPickle wrote:I thought there was no way Kanye West would ever have done a Kelly Clarkson song, let alone two of them. The clue's wording made it obvious to me that they were looking for Ms. Clarkson.

FJ was an instaget, and I couldn't think of another answer that would fit.
He just covered one Clarkson song. "Stronger" is a chart-topping, Grammy-winning Kanye single. The contestant obviously keyed in on that part of the clue and then get lucky with the other half.
StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug »

Note to self: It is difficult to think of the FJ! response and help your parents with the groceries at the same time (as if I would have had the slightest idea).

Unimpressive start to the week for me, though I feel I did OK in the first round.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

I don't think it's right that they introduce Jason as being from "plain ol' Texas." Seems like that would really cheese off Texans!! :lol:
Basia is the second person I've ever seen with that name. Wonder if she's named for the other one? Time and Tide came out in 1987, and I'm terrible at guessing ages.

Round One: 14,200
Ran TOKENS and UNDER THE SEA easily, and 6 LETTER WORDS via a just-in-time dig up on "Shamus."
Missed Macho Libre in SPORTS ON FILM, and Othello in SHAKESPEARE.
VEGAS HOTELS .... ouch. One hit, one miss, three clams. So, 24R/1W/5 clams round one.

Round Two: 22,000 Total: 36,200.
I was all over the board, but clammed on a lot, missing none. Ran none, but got 4 in BUBBLE and MOUNTAINS.

FJ: had nuttin', not even too much of an "Ohhh yeahhhh...." upon reveal. Although I guess Izvestia would certainly have been concerned with those are aren't PC.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

^ Nacho Libre, not Macho.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:^ Nacho Libre, not Macho.
Over Macho Grande?
Leah
Occasional Phantom Presence

Post by Leah »

BADuBois wrote:
econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:nor "shamus" in any context.
Seamus, actually.
Ahem. As a two-time winner of the Shamus Award, given by the Private Eye Writers of America, I politely beg to disagree.

This was a "meh" game for me, not too exciting, though I did run the Military Mite category. Jason was a steamroller, once again.

The Final Jeopardy question... well, it stank. Sorry. Thought counter-culture, counter-revolutionary, except the God of Google said otherwise.

Be interesting to see how the other board members did tonight on the FJ.
I'd thought of it as a word with a Yiddish derviation ("shammes" is the guy in the synagogue who takes care of physical/administrative details; not to be confused with the--forgive me-- shabbos goy, who is a non-Jew hired to do things on Sabbath which resemble work, and even things which don't, like flipping a light switch). There used to be a fair number of Jewish cops, and for years in NY, at least, a more senior officer who acted as a mentor was referred to as someone's "rabbi." As usual I'm too lazy to research it fully, but one online source supports that.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:nor "shamus" in any context.
Seamus, actually.
Not in The Big Sleep.
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:^ Nacho Libre, not Macho.
Over Macho Grande?
Oh, how can anyone get over Macho Grande?

This is why you should play the Think Differently games; if you had played the last one, "shamus" would have stuck in your head, maybe.

I know 3 songs since 2005 -- and even I knew Call Me Maybe. Also hard to miss if you watched any of the Olympics broadcasts this summer.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Paucle wrote:I don't think it's right that they introduce Jason as being from "plain ol' Texas." Seems like that would really cheese off Texans!! :lol:
Along the same lines, Alex missed a great opportunity to say "That's a moray!" tonight.
Case
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Case »

lisa0012 wrote:Enjoying Jason's run.
Always love seeing an Aggie do well on the show, but Jason is just giving his opponents very little opportunity. I felt especially bad for that guy yesterday, who looked like he couldn't believe his awful luck to be up against a buzzsaw like Jason. Today's ladies looked a bit like deer in the headlights; the champ is FAST.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:I know 3 songs since 2005 -- and even I knew Call Me Maybe.
I don't think I knew of it until it was mentioned in these boards a couple times, perhaps as an internet meme? So I checked out the video and I had to admit, as far as songs that have the singer trying to entice someone into a potential statutory rape situation go, that's one of the better ones. (Me? Cynical?)
WooWho?
Jeopardy! Almost-Champion

Post by WooWho? »

How's this for an out-of-left-field FJ response: "What is 'upstream fish'?" (For lack of any better ideas. Counter culture or the correct response didn't even cross my mind.)

I got "Call Me Maybe," but I'm not proud that I know that...
アタックチャンス!
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

I'll be honest; I thought "politically incorrect" originated in the early 1990's. By the way, I don't think I've seen this come up yet, but did anyone else think Basia underbet on the second DD? It's late in the round, you have less than half the leader's total, it's the last DD of the round, and the clue is in the $800 slot. Not that it mattered in the end, but I thought she should at least bet enough to get at least 50% of Jason's total, and at the least, going for a lock-tie.

Oh, and I do remember Basia the singer. Used to have "Time and Tide" on a cassette single. Oh, and to the "younger" Basia: If you'd bet differently on that last day, there was a better chance of there being a "New Day For You." :D Sorry, couldn't resist.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Case wrote:
lisa0012 wrote:Enjoying Jason's run.
Always love seeing an Aggie do well on the show, but Jason is just giving his opponents very little opportunity. I felt especially bad for that guy yesterday, who looked like he couldn't believe his awful luck to be up against a buzzsaw like Jason. Today's ladies looked a bit like deer in the headlights; the champ is FAST.
I actually hadn't realized until today that he was an Aggie. I knew I liked the guy :)
davey

Post by davey »

thenextofken wrote:I'll be honest; I thought "politically incorrect" originated in the early 1990's.
I think "politically correct" is more common usage and may even be a more recent back-formation (certainly as a mark of disapproval), but I knew that the other phrase was a Communist Party accusation, so the mention of Izvestia made it pretty easy for me.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This thread is crackling tonight with the "That's a moray" and "Plain ol' Texas" wisecracks to give me laughs.

I never saw the Kanye/Kelly reversal coming even though I know both versions of "Stronger." It would be a waste of a poll slot to see if anyone answered Kanye or Kelly, so sure I can honor the request of the Jespen song.

Jason looks solid to make the TOC, but some of the stuff he doesn't know? What the something.

Diego Rivera
Gauguin
Taming of the Shrew
Romania

I don't know if I could have run Painted Ladies since the last one didn't play, but I found out I couldn't run Mountain Do. Everything was going great until I tried to access Logan. I knew what it was, went to get it and it wasn't there. Grrr! At least I got all the Sports On Film or I would really think I'm losing it.

Missing the FJ clue was expected when Alex showed the category and the wording of the clue did nothing to change it. I was struggling to find anything two-worded and scribbled devil's advocate to get something on the paper. It was an adjective, so I kept trying to find something political. With time almost gone I blazed "right wing." Politically incorrect had no chance of reaching my paper much less my thoughts.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I have never heard... "shamus" in any context.
I remember the last time you said that, in response to the first category in this game.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Okay, so I have and didn't remember it. Seriously, I'm dealing with about 300some clues per week. Do you really expect me to remember them all?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Well, look how often you post, and I remembered that one.