Tuesday, December 11, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by kickerofelves »

John Boy wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Judges: would "universities" be acceptable for the $400 "Patron Saints" clue where "colleges" was given?
I wondered the same thing. Since no one else has given a reason why not to accept it, I say yes, mainly because I said the same thing. If anyone comes forward now, it's too late.
The only reason that I could conceive of that they wouldn't accept it is the "like one named for him in Grand Rapids" portion of the clue. The one named for him in Grand Rapids is Aquinas College (not University (yes, I checked)). Hard to say if that's something that TPTB would get persnickety about...

Having said that, I also said 'universities'.

-a.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

thenextofken wrote:
lisa0012 wrote:Having no good answer I went for the logical sequence. Clink. Clank. Clunk.
Same here.
Ironically, that was the headline about 3 years later, with a picture of the Ford Edsel on the cover.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I might have been the only one who said this, but when I saw the words "Clink, clank..." in the clue, I thought "It has to relate to IBM or computers somehow, but it also has to fit the 'sound' of those words." So I said...

"What is Think Tank?"

I know that today, the expression "Think Tank" usually refers to an organization that does research, maybe on government policy or something. But I thought it was plausible that around 1955, people might have used the expression "Think Tank" to refer to a computer. A big clunky metallic machine that thinks.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

skullturf wrote:"What is Think Tank?"
Man, that would have been a painful neg.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Maybe "think tank" was never slang for "computer", but apparently it was once slang for "brain".

I thought I remembered this coming up on Jeopardy! before, and it turns out I was right. Final Jeopardy! in Ken Jennings' fourth game.

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1551
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

I initially thought "clunk" ("the three words which best describe you are as follows, and I quote"). About 5 seconds after time was up, I came around to "think". I did know it was IBM, at least.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

kickerofelves wrote:
John Boy wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Judges: would "universities" be acceptable for the $400 "Patron Saints" clue where "colleges" was given?
I wondered the same thing. Since no one else has given a reason why not to accept it, I say yes, mainly because I said the same thing. If anyone comes forward now, it's too late.
The only reason that I could conceive of that they wouldn't accept it is the "like one named for him in Grand Rapids" portion of the clue. The one named for him in Grand Rapids is Aquinas College (not University (yes, I checked)). Hard to say if that's something that TPTB would get persnickety about...

Having said that, I also said 'universities'.

-a.

Too late! Too late! I already have dibs on "that is correct!" Too late to overturn the decision!
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

I got a chance to spend a few minutes on the archive. 26 R, 3W in my 1st game, 24R, 2W in my 2nd, 19R, 0W last night. Pretty good. Knowing that Jason Shore was going to win 4 games, I think I would have been in the last spot of the ToC if I won last night, until Paul Nelson won his 4th. So there had been some "what ifs" for a while, but everyone has those and I really don't think I would have been a strong ToC contestant -- too many holes in the types of stuff they ask there.

I'm definitely going to stick around here! Nobody else in my life is interested in me geeking out on J! anymore!
Twitter: @jfrumkin
BoK

Post by BoK »

"Everyone wants quesadillas to be this adjective; you don't want your screenplay described that way."

I said "flat." Judges?
CoachP
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CoachP »

BoK wrote:"Everyone wants quesadillas to be this adjective; you don't want your screenplay described that way."

I said "flat." Judges?
I'm no judge, but if I were, I don't think I'd allow it-since quesadillas by definition include cheese.
CoachP
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CoachP »

Really surprised nobody got saccharine or sour. I probably would have gone w/the wrong Mormon as well (50/50 chance)

My take on FJ may have been influenced by the Monday game (since I watched them both on DVR last night), but my first answer was "clunk", then I remembered Watson=IBM, so went with computer (or compute-can't recall now). Think didn't even enter my mind, most likely because I was on the alliteration kick.

Anyone know if IBM started using "think" as a slogan before or after the Time magazine cover?

Josh, congratulations on your games-you looked very calm and confident on camera. Thanks for sharing the inside scoop about Alex cracking up with the DD "golf" reply.
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

CoachP wrote:Really surprised nobody got saccharine or sour.
I hit the Coryat stuff so hard in preparation that my strategy was to play conservative and just not get anything wrong, with which I mostly did a great job (I led after all three Single Jeopardy and Double Jeopardy rounds I played). There were a number of clues last night that I knew but wasn't sure enough of to buzz in, like those two, or Australopithecus or Puget Sound. I believe on saccharine, I mouthed the word with Alex when he said it.

And, thanks!
Twitter: @jfrumkin
davey

Post by davey »

BoK wrote:"Everyone wants quesadillas to be this adjective; you don't want your screenplay described that way."

I said "flat." Judges?
You want your quesadillas flat? I want mine bursting with cheesy goodness...! (Not that I had any idea where this clue was going last night...)
earendel

Post by earendel »

CoachP wrote:Anyone know if IBM started using "think" as a slogan before or after the Time magazine cover?
Someone upthread posted that according to Wikipedia, Watson used the slogan as early as 1911.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

earendel wrote:
CoachP wrote:Anyone know if IBM started using "think" as a slogan before or after the Time magazine cover?
Someone upthread posted that according to Wikipedia, Watson used the slogan as early as 1911.
That would be Watson, Sr.
OCSam
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

No one caught the grammar fail on Sights for $200: "A giant statue… greet…" Even if the statue is of two people, it's still a statue.

4/5 in Taste. Went back and forth with sweet, sour, bitter, but none sounded cocktail-y to me. Jokingly said "they're probably gonna throw me for a loop with umami again". Blue/salty seems like it could've been reversed if the category weren't taste. Then again, the blue-raspberry candy I loved so much as a kid definitely tasted like blue to me.

British Jobs went totally over my head. I just couldn't comprehend any of the clues, and I didn't know Chandler had other meanings besides "one of the six reasons I hate Friends" or "last name of the notorious Sonichu creator".

Started off on the wrong foot in Carols. "Hark… wait, Mendelssohn didn't write 'Hark, The Herald Angels Sing', it was a French tune!" (No, you idiot, that's "Angels We Have Heard on High".) Then "Middle Eastern capital" and a writer's name I've seen a billion times both failed to trigger Bethlehem; also, "Overlooking" threw me straight into "Good King Wencecececeseslas looked out on the feast of Stephen".

Overall, I was just failing left and right in DJ!, clamming on stuff I should've gotten (White House, Puget Sound, Buddhism) and having tons of "oh yeah, I knew that" moments (Howl, White Fang, Barnum).

Completely bombed In the Dictionary. "Idiot" is the only one of those five I use regularly, and I never in a billion years would've thought it went back to Shakespearean times.

I actually considered putting down "think", even though I have no idea who Thomas Watson Jr. was. But it didn't sound right to me, so I left it blank.

Nice to see that I'm not the only one who thought of "Plink Plank Plunk", but I'm also not the only one who knew that it was once a theme for I've Got a Secret.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:No one caught the grammar fail on Sights for $200: "A giant statue… greet…" Even if the statue is of two people, it's still a statue.
Actually, I am certain that the clue referred to [the statue of Paul Bunyan] and [Babe, the actual blue Ox]. And how can there be one statue if there are two individuals?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
davey

Post by davey »

OrangeSAM wrote:
earendel wrote:
That would be Watson, Sr.
Thanks for pointing that out. I knew there was something a little off about it when I dug that nugget up. Didn't bother to check it against a birthdate or anything simple like that...Too good to check, I guess!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

bpmod wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:No one caught the grammar fail on Sights for $200: "A giant statue… greet…" Even if the statue is of two people, it's still a statue.
Actually, I am certain that the clue referred to [the statue of Paul Bunyan] and [Babe, the actual blue Ox]. And how can there be one statue if there are two individuals?

Brian
A single statue of Bunyan atop Babe?

The clue said "A giant statue of this logger & Babe the blue ox greet visitors to the Trees of Mystery in Klamath, California". I take that to mean one statue, thus causing the subject/verb disagreement. If they had meant two, then "Statues of this logger & Babe the blue ox" or "A statue of this logger and a statue of Babe…"
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian
A single statue of Bunyan atop Babe?

The clue said "A giant statue of this logger & Babe the blue ox greet visitors to the Trees of Mystery in Klamath, California". I take that to mean one statue, thus causing the subject/verb disagreement. If they had meant two, then "Statues of this logger & Babe the blue ox" or "A statue of this logger and a statue of Babe…"
Naah... It looks fine to me:
PaulBunyanClue.jpg
PaulBunyanClue.jpg (29.71 KiB) Viewed 4142 times
Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.