Wednesday, December 12, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6498, 2012-12-12

CONTESTANTS
Saidi Chen, an attorney for a legal nonprofit from New York, New York
Alistair Bell, a computer chip designer from Berlin, Massachusetts
Rachel Shuman, a curriculum coordinator from Silver Spring, Maryland (whose 1-day cash winnings total $19,600)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Welcome, ladies and gentlemen. On yesterday's program, Rachel was up, and then she was down a bit, and then she came back again and wound up with the most money at the end of the program. So, good for her. Alistair and Saidi, nice to have you with us. Pick up those signaling devices. We're going to work right now. Here comes the Jeopardy! Round for you, and here come the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BREAD (3/5)
EARLY U.S. CAPITALS (2/5)
SLINGING ARROWS (5/5)
"C" THE 4-LETTER WORDS (5/5)
THAT DOCTOR IS UNREAL! (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ARMY BRANCHES (2/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Rachel: 9 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Saidi: 9 R, 2 W
Alistair: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 8
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Rachel found the Daily Double on the 4th clue. Rachel had $400, Alistair had $200, and Saidi was at $200. Rachel wagered $1,000.

THAT DOCTOR IS UNREAL! $400: This 1886 title doctor isn't really himself when he tramples over a kid & clubs a guy to death

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Rachel: $2,400
Alistair: $1,000
Saidi: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Saidi Chen is an attorney from New York who skipped her first day of review for the New York bar in order to do what?

Saidi: To audition for "Jeopardy!"

Alex: What else?

Saidi: Absolutely. And, you know, it worked out 'cause I passed the bar.

Alex: And you're a contestant on our program.

Saidi: Yes.

Alex: Good. Two pluses.

Alex: Alistair Bell from Berlin, Massachusetts.

Alistair: Yes.

Alex: Your accent indicates that you are not a native-born American.

Alistair: No, I was born in Britain, and we moved to the U.S. in 2000. And then in 2010, we became U.S. citizens at Fenway Park.

Alex: At Fenway Park?

Alistair: At Fenway.

Alex: Along with how many other people?

Alistair: 5,000 others from 160 countries. It was an incredible experience.

Alex: That's great. Hey.

Alex: Rachel Shuman is our champion. She is from Silver Spring, Maryland, and she does something strange the first of every month.

Rachel: Oh, and this is my father's fault, 'cause he taught me and my sisters to do this--that on the first of the month, the first thing you say is "rabbits, rabbits, rabbits." And then you have to get up on the wrong side of the bed and walk down the stairs backwards in order to have a good month.

Alex: What if the wrong side of the bed is against the wall?

Rachel: You got to be creative.

[Laughter]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
EARLY U.S. CAPITALS $400: In 1783 Nassau Hall on this Ivy League school's campus received the first foreign minister to the U.S., a delegate from Holland
(Saidi: What is Columbia?)

EARLY U.S. CAPITALS $800: Pierre L'Enfant remodeled this hall in Lower Manhattan before it was the seat of government in 1789 & 1790
(Alistair: What is Independence Hall?)
(Rachel: What is Constitution Hall?)

EARLY U.S. CAPITALS $1000: 1 of 2 Pennsylvania cities other than Philadelphia in which the Second Continental Congress met
(Saidi: What is Pittsburgh?)

BREAD $400: This U.S. city precedes "brown" in the name of a sweet, dark steamed bread

BREAD $1000: You can see why the loaves have this name that means "slipper" in Italian

ARMY BRANCHES $200: The name of this Army branch is also something a knight might wear

ARMY BRANCHES $600: It's the ancient symbol seen here on the insignia of the Medical Service Corps

ARMY BRANCHES $1000: If these crossed muskets are on your uniform, you're part of this fighting force

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Rachel: $5,200
Saidi: $3,800
Alistair: $1,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
COMMA SUTRA (3/5)
ADVENTUROUS FOLKS (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
STARTS WITH A BODY PART (4/5)
PHYSICS 101 (5/5)
POP MUSIC BEFORE & AFTER (0/2) (Alex: Each correct response coming up from the names of two recording artists.)
"G"EOGRAPHY (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Alistair: 11 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W
Saidi: 6 R (including 2 rebounds), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Rachel: 2 R (including 1 DD), 3 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Saidi snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. Rachel had $5,200, Alistair had $800, and Saidi was at $4,600. Saidi wagered $2,000.

"G"EOGRAPHY $800: Between the Dardanelles & the Aegean lies this Turkish peninsula, site of WWI strife
(Saidi: What is the...)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Rachel who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 26th clue. Rachel had $2,400, Alistair had $13,200, and Saidi was at $3,000. Rachel wagered $2,000.

ADVENTUROUS FOLKS $1600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from Robben Island in South Africa.) Fearful of cannibals on the mainland, this Portuguese explorer sought food & refuge on South Africa's Robben Island during his India voyage in the 1490s

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
POP MUSIC BEFORE & AFTER $400: "Nasty" & "Running On Empty"

POP MUSIC BEFORE & AFTER $800: "The Crying Game" & "Got My Mind Set On You"

STARTS WITH A BODY PART $2000: Triglycerides are one type of these fatty compounds

COMMA SUTRA $1200: The comma type of this insect in the Nymphalidae family has orange wings with ragged edges

COMMA SUTRA $2000: A motif resembling a comma is central to some types of this textile pattern named for a Scottish town
(Rachel: What is argyle?)

ADVENTUROUS FOLKS $1200: In October 1492 Columbus first landed in the New World on an island that's today in this nation

ADVENTUROUS FOLKS $2000: In 1792 this British naval officer surveyed the coast of Washington & named Mount Rainier
(Rachel: Who is Hudson?)
(Saidi: Who is Puget?)
(Alex: No. A couple of bad guesses there.)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Alistair: $13,200 (lock game)
Rachel: $2,400
Saidi: $1,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FASHION DESIGNERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Alistair: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $8,399 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Rachel: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $399 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Saidi: You've no hope of catching up... unless Rachel does something stupid. So risk $999.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1986 her company, now associated with JC Penney, became the first founded by a woman to make the Fortune 500

FINAL SCORES
Saidi: $1,000 + $950 = $1,950 (Who is Liz Claiborne?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Rachel: $2,400 - $399 = $2,001 (Who is Donna Karan) (2nd place: $2,000)
Alistair: $13,200 + $0 = $13,200 (Who is Elizabeth Claiborne?) (New champion: $13,200)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $15,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Alistair: $13,200, 15 R, 3 W
Saidi: $3,000, 15 R, 6 W (including 1 DD)
Rachel: $1,400, 11 R (including 2 DDs), 4 W
Combined Coryat: $17,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Alistair: 16/58 = .276
Saidi: 16/59 = .271
Rachel: 11/60 = .183
Team: 43/63 = .683

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ARMY BRANCHES $400: The fortification suggests this corps may be adept at building things

ARMY BRANCHES $800: In Vietnam the Special Forces, also known by this colorful name, earned 17 Medals of Honor

PHYSICS 101 $400: Wavelength is typically measured from one of these 5-letter high points on the wave to the next
(Alistair: What are peaks?)

"G"EOGRAPHY $2000: The Pyrenees are part of the border of this historical region of southwest France
(Saidi: What is Gaul?)

STARTS WITH A BODY PART $1200: Ground, soil
(Saidi: Uh, what is...)

COMMA SUTRA $1600: An Oxford comma, also called a serial comma, is a comma used before this part of speech
(Rachel: What is a noun?)
(Alistair: What is a participle?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Dr Jekyll
Princeton
Federal Hall
York & Lancaster
Boston
ciabatta
Armor
the caduceus
the Infantry
Gallipoli
(Vasco) da Gama
Janet Jackson Browne
Boy George Harrison
lipids
butterfly
paisley
the Bahamas
Vancouver
Liz Claiborne
the Army Corps of Engineers
the Green Berets
a crest
Gascony
earth
a conjunction
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Fashion Designers
In 1986 her company, now associated with JC Penney, became the first founded by a woman to make the Fortune 500.

Spoiler
Who is Liz Claiborne? Rachel said Donna Karan.
Alistair Bell: $13,200+$0=$13,200...now a 1-day champion with $13,200
Rachel Shuman: $2,400-$399=$2,001
Saidi Chen: $1,000+$950=$1,950
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

I didn't know the FJ answer for sure, but the correct answer was the first thing to come to mind and it seemed reasonable, so I went with it.

Congrats to Alistair, especially on that run in Double Jeopardy!
Snaxx
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Snaxx »

Congrats to today's champ!
Spoiler
Alistair Bell has prior experience on WWTBAM (Syndie 2004), where he was described as a relative newcomer from England.

He's already won about $12,000 more on J! than on Millionaire, where he trusted the studio audience on this for $16,000 (after using 50/50) and left with $1000.
Editing to add answer on WWTBAM question above
Spoiler
50/50 on his question was A or B, and the answer was A.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Congratulations, Alistair!

I thought of several possibilities for FJ, but the correct answer wasn't one of them.
StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug »

I'm surprised that the clue about the Oxford/serial comma proved to be as hard as it was. When I heard the clue, I thought "Hey, it's the comma that goes before 'and'" (don't yell at me for my initial thought; I was making my dad some tea and wasn't able to look at the screen), then when Alex said they were looking for a part of speech, all I had to do was figure out what part of speech "and" was, and then it clicked.
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

Congrats to Alistair! I didn't stick around for the game, but I heard about it afterwards. I knew he would be a player when I met him in the morning. We've been going back and forth on Facebook for months, waiting for our times to come, and they finally have!
Twitter: @jfrumkin
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Congratulations to Alistair... haven't seen a British victory like this since Agincourt.

Curious he didn't try to pad his winnings by betting *something* instead of zero, but what the heck. Your mileage may vary, as they say.

FJ was an Instaget... for my wife. She got the correct answer; I blanked and went for Martha Stewart, which was *not* a good thing.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

I didn't care for the way Alex chided the two ladies on the last clue in DJ. Maybe they were indeed bad guesses, but both were at least trying to keep themselves in the game.
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

thenextofken wrote:I didn't care for the way Alex chided the two ladies on the last clue in DJ. Maybe they were indeed bad guesses, but both were at least trying to keep themselves in the game.
There was quite the buzz about that at the hotel afterwards. That was pretty rough.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

I was very disappointed that we didn't see the rest of the song category. I was having fun with that.

I got FJ! instantly, because she just made sense. Still can't remember her being specifically tied to JCP, but nothing better ever came up.

Congrats to Alistair on a good performance, looking forward to more!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

BADuBois wrote:I blanked and went for Martha Stewart, which was *not* a good thing.
Ditto
eureka
Valued Contributor

Post by eureka »

thenextofken wrote:I didn't care for the way Alex chided the two ladies on the last clue in DJ. Maybe they were indeed bad guesses, but both were at least trying to keep themselves in the game.

I didn't care for them guessing and wasting time. I wanted a few more clues revealed in the Before and After category. It was the only category I had a prayer on. The body parts category was ok. For the one clue I had earth, but it didn't come to me that it started with a body part.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

eureka wrote:
thenextofken wrote:I wanted a few more clues revealed in the Before and After category.
Well, the producers didn't seem to...
It was the only category I had a prayer on.
...because the contestants didn't seem to. I felt like that was a "mercy" time's-up signal, rather than them actually running out of time.
kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves »

Congrats to Alistair on an impressive rally and a nice win!

FJ was a miss for me. I, like Rachel, picked Donna Karan...

A number of triple stumpers in this game that I picked up, though apparently I've been spelling (and thus, pronouncing) 'caduceus' horribly wrong for all these years. Wrongly enough to be ruled incorrect, probably...

-a.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

eureka wrote:

I didn't care for them guessing and wasting time. I wanted a few more clues revealed in the Before and After category. It was the only category I had a prayer on. The body parts category was ok. For the one clue I had earth, but it didn't come to me that it started with a body part.
I don't think it's wasting time if you ad least try. What wastes time is the "stand and stare."
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I could have used more in Slinging Arrows than only five and less of Army Branches or Comma Sutra. Caduceus and semicolon were my only hits in the bad categories.

Rachel had a nightmare game, but at least it happened in game two for her. Too bad Saidi didn't hear all of us yelling Gallipoli at her.

I went 1.5 on Pop Music B&A with Janet Jackson Browne and __ George Harrison. Boy George by George stumped me. For those who wish the category had played out:

Snowbird, One Night in Bangkok
Twist of Fate, Watching The Wheels
Just Walking in the Rain, Unchain My Heart

Alistair's FJ wager about matched my reaction to the category although I would have gone ahead and risked 1000 on it. The clue equaled guess a woman with JCP and Fortune not going to help much. Anne Klein was on the paper first for name that hit me the quickest. I wasn't impressed with her for a guess and kept thinking. Coco Chanel hit my thoughts and I felt no better about her for a guess. With time almost gone I thought about Donna Karan and made the switch. At least I had the name spelled correctly. Liz Clairborne probably would have been a miss even with multiple choice and a lifeline or walk away for sure on Millionaire.

33/57 was an ugly night so I'm with the players on it not being a good game. At least my Coryat of a measly 20800 beat the even worse combined of 17600.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I said "Who is Ann Taylor", knowing next to nothing about the category. For me, I couldn't do any better than "say a female name you've seen in clothing stores." I have no idea who is or isn't associated with J.C. Penney.

Now that I've looked it up, it turns out Ann Taylor wasn't even a real person.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:I could have used more in Slinging Arrows than only five and less of Army Branches or Comma Sutra. Caduceus and semicolon were my only hits in the bad categories.
"Armor" made me pause for a moment. I've always called it an Armored Division, but whatever.

As her name is Anne Elisabeth Jane Claiborne, I can see what the pause was about when "Elizabeth Claiborne" was revealed. But, as there was nothing lost, I guess they figured it didn't really matter.

Congrats, Alistair!