Thursday, December 13, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ThreeIfByAir
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Thursday, December 13, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by ThreeIfByAir »

BADuBois wrote:Alistair, I see we both suffer from the Boston pre-empt. Did you got to Boston for your audition back in May at the Sheraton? There were three audition times; mine was the last one that day. Which one did you go to? (And if you said mine, my apologies for not remembering you!)
Yes, I did! But I was the middle audition at 11:30. Meredith Lowmaster (who vanquished Dr. J) was also in my group and we chatted there.
bpmod
Rank

Re: A tale of two Gershwins

Post by bpmod »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:I don't recall if the clue specified "he" or "him"; if not, since Eric Heiden's little sister, Beth, won a bronze medal in speed skating at the '80 W.O.'s, it would be incumbent upon a contestant to specify that they meant Eric, and not her.
Since you don't recall that it was specified twice, have a look here:
2012-12-13_FJ.jpg
2012-12-13_FJ.jpg (14.71 KiB) Viewed 3538 times
Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Better late than never, right?

Olympic Gold Medalists
Before Michael Phelps in 2008, he was the last American to win 5 individual Golds in one Olympics; he did it at Lake Placid.

Spoiler
Who is Eric Heiden? Judy said Eric Hanson; John said Smith; Alistair had no guess.
Alistair Bell: $19,000-$3,001=$15,999...now a 2-day champion with $29,199
John McGee: $11,000-$9,001=$1,999
Judy Strong: $4,800-$2,800=$2,000
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

Now that I get a look at the wagering to think about it, it's sort of bizarre how that worked out that John got $1 less tha Judy. I'm not about to ask him about it, but I can't figure it's anything but coincidence.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

jfrumkin wrote:Now that I get a look at the wagering to think about it, it's sort of bizarre how that worked out that John got $1 less than Judy. I'm not about to ask him about it, but I can't figure it's anything but coincidence.
Wow, I typed those numbers in, and didn't even notice that it ended up that way. I guess it's poetic justice, since Judy was the closest to getting FJ correct, so maybe she deserved second place after all. It did just seem to be a fluke, as John was betting to reach $20,001, I guess on the off chance that Alistair bet to reach the round number of 20K rather than making the shutout bet.

It really didn't matter what John's bet was, as long as it was at least $5,000. Since he almost certainly wasn't going to win unless Alistair was wrong, he could have bet all of his money if he wanted to, and not altered his chances of victory. Judy was in a similar situation, as there was no really obvious bet for her to make, as the only was she was going to get second was if John missed. So she could either bet little and hope that John bets big and misses, or bet it all and hope to pass John if he bets small to medium and misses. As it turned out, she went halfway and bet medium, and John bet big, but not all the way big, and they just so happened to finish $1 apart. Tough break for John, but probably a pleasant surprise for Judy.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

BADuBois wrote:Thanks to all here for your kind mention of RESURRECTION DAY.
A quick question ...
Spoiler
at one point, there is a mention of "The Six Great Lakes". I don't remember seeing any other mention of that, so was it just a typo, or was it a point that never got developed, or did I just miss something?
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

econgator wrote:
A quick question ...
Spoiler
at one point, there is a mention of "The Six Great Lakes". I don't remember seeing any other mention of that, so was it just a typo, or was it a point that never got developed, or did I just miss something?
Argh. A typo or error on my part that slipped through. No matter how many sets of eyes look at manuscripts, error always go unnoticed.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Glad econgator brought that up, I was wondering about it myself, and it had slipped my mind. When I read it, I thought it'd be explained later, like
Spoiler
one of Russia's super nukes hit a base in Western NY causing a massive bedrock collapse and much of extreme Western NY went underwater.
Still, the scariest thing I read in it, a week before election day, was
Spoiler
"President Romney."
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote:
A quick question ...
Spoiler
Brendan has already answered it's a typo. I thought it was a change along these lines that really happened that I'm copying from that famous online encyclopedia:

Lake Champlain briefly became the nation's sixth Great Lake on March 6, 1998, when President Clinton signed Senate Bill 927. This bill, which reauthorized the National Sea Grant Program, contained a line declaring Lake Champlain to be a Great Lake. Not coincidentally, this status allows neighboring states to apply for additional federal research and education funds allocated to these national resources. Following a small uproar, the Great Lake status was rescinded on March 24 (although Vermont universities continue to receive funds to monitor and study the lake).
davey

Re: A tale of two Gershwins

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote:
kickerofelves wrote:
Sage on the Hudson wrote:Quick: Lerner and Loewe. Gilbert and Sullivan. Who were the composers, and who were the lyricists? A BMS for a reply of "Who was Gershwin?" was essential.
...Rodgers & Hammerstein. Yeah, a fair point I suppose. Though Gershwin to me is different somehow; I seem him (George) as more of a standalone composer, and less a member of an always-paired team à la Gilbert & Sullivan...

Maybe that's just me.
No, same here. "Gershwin" the composer means "George Gershwin". I don't think Ira was involved as a collaborator in any of George's "serious" work. (As Irving Berlin reportedly said "Always remember: George was a composer; the rest of us were songwriters.") George wrote Rhapsody in Blue, An American in Paris, and the Concerto in F without any help from Ira. The libretto to Porgy and Bess wasn't by Ira. So if the clue is about a "composer", I think "Gershwin" is acceptable. If the clue is asking about "songs" or "musicals", then "Gershwin" might merit a BMS.

Lessee. Gilbert was the lyricist. So was Hammerstein (which I remember because it's counter-intuitive). Not sure on Lerner and Loewe. In a pinch, I'd guess Lerner; and now that I've cheated and looked it up, I see that I'm right.
I agree that since Ira Gershwin was not a composer, and had nothing to do with "Rhapsody in Blue," no BMS was required. But Ira DID write lyrics for "Porgy and Bess" along with the credited librettists, DuBose and Dorothy Heyward, from whose play "Porgy" the work was adapted. Of course "Porgy and Bess" is sung-through (its 2 white characters, policemen, are the only ones who speak), so it's hard to determine where libretto leaves off and lyrics begin. The official billing/title for the work, insisted upon as I understand it by the Gershwin estate, is The Gershwins' Porgy and Bess...

Olympics is not my category. I'm a little proud that, as time was running out, I began to write "Who is a speed ska..."
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Lake Champlain briefly became the nation's sixth Great Lake on March 6, 1998, when President Clinton signed Senate Bill 927.
Just long enough for there to be a Final Jeopardy question about it, and just short enough that the FJ was out of date by the time it aired!
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Early in the game, the $800 clue in "Literary Relations" included the words "...this D.H. Lawrence novel."

Now I don't remember the names of any characters in any D.H. Lawrence novels, but nevertheless, after Judy said "What is Lady Chatterley's Lover?" and was incorrect, I said "What is Sons and Lovers?" because I figured, hey, it's probably the "other" well-known D.H. Lawrence novel.

I was mildly surprised that neither of the other two contestants came up with Sons and Lovers after Chatterley had been eliminated.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

skullturf wrote:I was mildly surprised that neither of the other two contestants came up with Sons and Lovers after Chatterley had been eliminated.
I felt Sons and Lovers was the obvious guess even before Chatterley was negged. But I don't know if I would have rung in.
dmleach
Damn Jeopardy! Hooligan

Post by dmleach »

I'm pleased to say I ran both "German 'E'" and "18th Century Technology" and managed three other 4/5's, though you can count me as picking the wrong Polish composer too, Dr. J..

I've been listening to the BBC Radio 4 podcast of The News Quiz, and last Christmas they did a pantomime sketch where Sandi Toksvig went on a grand adventure to rescue the time pips after they were stolen by a rival comedian. Like our champ I spent all my Big Ben time trying to come up with an alliteration for "pips."
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

ThreeIfByAir wrote:
Woof wrote:I had precisely the same problem. I listen to the Beeb daily and the Greenwich Time Signal is ingrained in my memory. Can't say that I've ever heard Big Ben at the top of the hour.
I've already gotten a ton of grief over that one and I'm sure I'll get more. They do use Big Ben for the big 6pm newscasts, but everything else uses the pips.
Glad I wasn't the only one trying to alliterate pips.

There's also this argument: Big Ben is -one- bell. The chimes use a total of five, of which the alliterative one is simply one.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)