Wednesday, December 19, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6503, 2012-12-19

CONTESTANTS
Jeannie Blanke, an insurance office manager from Newbury Park, California
Justin Kowal, a financial manager from Glen Burnie, Maryland
Susan Jann, an operations coordinator from Bristol, Pennsylvania (whose 2-day cash winnings total $42,400)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you. Thanks, Johnny. $42,400--that's a lot of shopping money for our champion, Susan Jann. Justin and Jeannie, welcome aboard. Pick up those signaling devices. Hopefully you'll use them often in this first round as you get to deal with these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MYTHING IN ACTION (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Alex: We're not lisping.)
GOVERNORS (5/5)
ALL OVER THE WORLD (5/5)
MR. OR MS. RODRIGUEZ (5/5)
LEGAL TERMS (4/5)
WORDPLAY RANDOM SAMPLER (4/4)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Susan: 11 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Justin: 10 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Jeannie: 4 R, 5 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Justin: $4,600
Susan: $3,600
Jeannie: -$1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Jeannie Blanke is from Newbury Park, California. Her husband is seated in the audience. You two have been married for how many years now?

Jeannie: 15 years.

Alex: 15 years. But it didn't start off all that well, as I understand, because your first date--what happened?

Jeannie: On our first date, he forgot his wallet, and I didn't have my purse because we were on his motorcycle.

Alex: Mm-hmm.

Jeannie: So that was a little difficult when we went to the movies.

Alex: Yeah. And then?

Jeannie: Our second date, I stood him up. Long story.

Alex: Mm-hmm. And?

Jeannie: Our third date, he forgot his shoes.

[Laughter]

Alex: Shoes.

Jeannie: Shoes.

Alex: How does a man go out on a date and forget his shoes?

Jeannie: His car broke down on the way to my house, so we took my car, and he left his shoes in his car.

Alex: 15 years.

Jeannie: It was an inauspicious beginning, but it's been going well.

Alex: All right, good for you.

Alex: Justin Kowal is from Glen Bernie, Maryland, grew up in a small town--

Justin: --outside of Buffalo, where my parents owned a small movie theater, a small 650-seat kind of old-fashioned movie theater.

Alex: I hope they still have it and it's still operating.

Justin: It's still operating. They sold the business a few years ago, but I have a lot of good memories, you know, working as an usher, selling candy, and coming home smelling like popcorn.

Alex: Yeah, I was just gonna say, the popcorn was the best part.

Alex: Okay, Susan Jann is from Pennsylvania. She's our champion. And not so long ago, you had a rather exciting roller-coaster ride. Was it here in Southern California?

Susan: It was in Pennsylvania, Alex, and I didn't listen to their warning to take my cellphone out of my pocket, and it came out some time during the roller-coaster ride.

Alex: But you don't know exactly when?

Susan: I don't know when.

Alex: So obviously you didn't retrieve it.

Susan: Well, I filed a lost-and-found report, and the next morning I got a call. They found it, perfect working order.

Alex: Really?

Susan: Yes.

Alex: That is amazing. You are a lucky lady. All right, let's get back into this.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jeannie found the Daily Double on the 20th clue. Susan had $3,800, Justin had $4,200, and Jeannie had a deficit with -$800. Jeannie wagered $600.

MYTHING IN ACTION $1000: Oh, the heartache! After the hero Aeneas left her, Dido the queen of this land took her own life
(Jeannie: What is Greece?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MYTHING IN ACTION $400: Collective name for 7 sisters, daughters of Atlas & Pleione, whom Zeus placed among the stars
(Justin: What are the Sirens?)
(Jeannie: Who are the Muses?)

MYTHING IN ACTION $800: In Norse mythology's great final battle, Fenrir, a giant one of these animals, is destined to swallow Odin

LEGAL TERMS $1000: A defendant is brought before the court to hear charges & enter a plea in this initial step in a criminal prosecution

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Susan: $7,000
Justin: $5,200
Jeannie: -$800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MEDICAL ETYMOLOGY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
FILM SCHOOL (2/4)
HISTORIC NAMES (5/5)
CHRISTMAS POP SONGS (4/5)
A LITTLE LIT (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
TOUR "DE" FRANCE (1/3)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Susan: 10 R, 1 W
Justin: 7 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Jeannie: 4 R (including 1 DD), 0 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jeannie snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Susan had $7,400, Justin had $5,200, and Jeannie had nothing in the bank. Jeannie wagered $1,000.

MEDICAL ETYMOLOGY $1200: From the Greek for "coal", it's transmitted by farm animals, contaminated wool & biological weapons

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Justin who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 24th clue. Susan had $16,200, Justin had $12,000, and Jeannie was at $3,400. Justin wagered $2,400.

A LITTLE LIT $1600: Umberto Eco wrote a parody of this novel, having Umberto Umberto fall for the aged Granita
(Justin: Let's do... $2,400.)
(Alex: Okay, with a minute to go.)
(Justin: No idea.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CHRISTMAS POP SONGS $400: "And there won't be snow in Africa this Christmastime", says this charitable tune
(Justin: What is "We Are The World?")

TOUR "DE" FRANCE $1600: A plan gone horribly wrong; un grand desastre

TOUR "DE" FRANCE $2000: Adjective for someone who's come down in the world
(Susan: What is downwardly mobile?)

FILM SCHOOL $2000: The strip at the beginning of a portion of film is called this--Academy is one type

FILM SCHOOL $800: Used to speed up the narrative, it's a jarring cut that abruptly transitions out of a scene
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Susan: $17,400
Justin: $11,600
Jeannie: $3,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SHAKESPEARE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds (exactly) for first place.
Susan: Wager $5,800 for the tie. Justin has cause to bet either nothing or everything, and you can't afford to lose by $1 to a nothing bet.
Justin: It's all or nothing, baby. You have even hope of returning to battle Susan next game if you wager $11,600 or $0. Either way, you're banking on a bet to tie by Susan and the ability to prevail in the future.
Jeannie: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. You can wager as much as you feel like, but since you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper, you might just want to wager $0.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The last speech in this play says, "No grave upon the earth shall clip in it a pair so famous"

FINAL SCORES
Jeannie: $3,400 + $3,000 = $6,400 (What is Antony and Cleopatra?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Justin: $11,600 - $5,801 = $5,799 (What are Troilus & Cressida?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Susan: $17,400 - $6,000 = $11,400 (What is Romeo and Juliet?) (3-day champion: $53,800)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Susan: $17,400, 21 R, 2 W
Justin: $14,000, 17 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Jeannie: $4,200, 8 R (including 1 DD), 5 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $35,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Susan: 21/58 = .362
Justin: 17/59 = .288
Jeannie: 9/60 = .150
Team: 47/63 = .746

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ALL OVER THE WORLD $400: Mainland Australia's northernmost point, Cape York, is in this "royal" state
(Susan: What is Victoria?)

GOVERNORS $1000: He's the Southern governor seen here
(Alex: From Louisiana, yes.)

GOVERNORS $200: He governed Massachusetts from 2003 to 2007
(Jeannie: Uh, who is Kennedy?)

ALL OVER THE WORLD $1000: This country named for its latitude is the 43rd largest in Africa but in the continent's top 10 in oil production

ALL OVER THE WORLD $800: One of the world's leading exporters of coffee is the port city of Santos in this South American country
(Jeannie: What is Colombia?)

MR. OR MS. RODRIGUEZ $400: Michelle Rodriguez' Ana Lucia got "voted" off the island with extreme prejudice on this ABC show
(Jeannie: What is Survivor?)

LEGAL TERMS $800: This adjective refers to a crime like assault made more serious by circumstances, like the presence of a deadly weapon
(Alex: That's right, with less than a minute to go.)

WORDPLAY RANDOM SAMPLER $400: Crossword Clues "M":
to chew
(9)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

A LITTLE LIT $800: Go ahead & laugh--she's the maiden who became Hiawatha's wife in a poem by Longfellow
(Jeannie: Uh, who is Minneha?)
(Alex: Say it again.)
(Jeannie: Who is [*]?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Carthage
the Pleiades
a wolf
the arraignment
anthrax
Lolita
"Do They Know It's Christmas?"
debacle
déclassé
the leader
a jump cut
Antony and Cleopatra
Queensland
Bobby Jindal
Mitt Romney
Equatorial Guinea
Brazil
Lost
aggravated
masticate
Minnehaha
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

Daniel Inouye nor Frank Pastore got a mention yesterday, so Robert Bork probably doesn't get mentioned today. If he does, he might well be a Triple Stumper given it's been 25 years since he was rejected by the Senate for the US Supreme Court.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Shakespeare
The last speech in this play says, "No grave upon the earth shall clip in it a pair so famous."
Spoiler
What is Antony and Cleopatra? Justin said Troilus and Cressida; Susan said Romeo and Juliet.

Susan Jann: $17,400-$6,000=$11,400...now a 3-day champion with $53,800
Justin Koval: $11,600-$5,801=$5,799
Jeannie Blanke: $3,400+$3,000=$6,400
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

Had a nice 12 right in the first round with only 4 correct in DJ.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

jeff6286 wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:
You should seek help.
It took you until *now* to think that? (This was a general consensus well before his first assumption every day would have a "Jeopardy! curse")

Got FJ without too much trouble, also thought that Romeo & Juliet would be negbait (but dismissing it from my own thought process, as they weren't famous in the play, just afterwards by popular culture). Curious to see if anyone went for the Romeo & Juliet negbait besides the champ.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

The generally reliable early showing in Dallas was pre-empted for Obama's press conference. Not used to waiting for archivists/boardies to see what happened... :?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Too bad today's episode wasn't aired the day Larry Hagman died, given Alex's second round introduction.

She should have been negged on Mineha.

Judges...I said "Do they know its Christmas time at all?". (That's a line from the song). Is that good to go?

I started with R&J, rejected it since they were referenced a day or two ago and they weren't really famous (or even real). I also read the play in high school and didn't remember the line. Got to A&C with time to spare.
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

With three wins & $53,800, Susan moves into 18th place in the 2011-13 ToC standings.

Had I been the second contestant tonight, I'd have wagered zero in FJ. And I'd have won, too. (And if I had been in Susan's place, I'd have wagered $5800.)

Bamaman, I say no.
Last edited by Frank Hardy on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Bamaman wrote:She should have been negged on Mineha.
Agreed.
Judges...I said "Do they know its Christmas time at all?". (That's a line from the song). Is that good to go?
By Jeopardy!'s well-established rules, yes.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Snaxx
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Snaxx »

lisa0012 wrote:The generally reliable early showing in Dallas was pre-empted for Obama's press conference. Not used to waiting for archivists/boardies to see what happened... :?
Since I don't see it up yet, here is how Final went:

Two-thirds (exactly) game
Jeannie 3400
Justin 11600
Susan 17400

Category: SHAKESPEARE

THE LAST SPEECH IN THIS PLAY SAYS, "NO GRAVE UPON THE EARTH SHALL CLIP IN IT A PAIR SO FAMOUS"

Result:
Spoiler
Jeannie 3400 + 3000 = 6400 (What is Antony and Cleopatra?) second place after being in the red much of the game
Justin 11600 - 5801 = 5799 (What are Troilus and Cressida?) third place
Susan 17400 -6000 = 11400 (What is Romeo and Juliet?) 3-day champ $53800

Despite my pre-FJ reaction of oh, no, Shakespeare, my thought process was similar to that of dhkendall r/e R&J not being famous at the time. I then arrived at a reasoned guess of the right response.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Frank Hardy wrote:Had I been the second contestant tonight, I'd have wagered zero in FJ. And I'd have won, too. (And if I had been in Susan's place, I'd have wagered $5800.)
Ditto.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves »

dhkendall wrote: Got FJ without too much trouble, also thought that Romeo & Juliet would be negbait
My thoughts exactly, and glad (?) to see it borne out...

-a.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Nice shout out for one of my favorite Christmas songs (here with dancing lights since there is no official version):

StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug »

dhkendall wrote:Curious to see if anyone went for the Romeo & Juliet negbait besides the champ.
We did, sadly. Also thrown off by the video in the "leader" clue—saw the sweeping line and numbers counting down and thought "test pattern".
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Snaxx wrote:
lisa0012 wrote:The generally reliable early showing in Dallas was pre-empted for Obama's press conference. Not used to waiting for archivists/boardies to see what happened... :?
Since I don't see it up yet, here is how Final went:

Thanks! Glad to see Susan's still doing well. I enjoy watching her and hope she becomes TOC eligible tomorrow.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Seven and five, continuing my recent long streak of fail.

I thought that was evil of them to use "voted off the island" in a clue about Lost. That stymied me, since I know Survivor is not on ABC, but I assumed that "voted off the island" was exclusively Survivor terminology.

Lach Trashed Pleiades because I heard it in a Jimmy Buffett song once.

Thought for sure I'd run Christmas Pop songs, especially after $400 was a Lach Trash and $800 a precall, but the next three eluded me. Yes, that means I didn't get Gene Autry.

Why do I keep thinking Istanbul is in some other country instead of Turkey?

Who else clammed on "jump cut" because "cut" was in the clue?

I also went with R&J.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

First DD: "Alex, I would most definitely NOT like to make it a True Daily Double-- I'd much rather get it right." ;)

Ran the Xmas music (with a Beiber guess), the legal category, the medical one, and the 4 wordplays. But also had a few clunker categories of only one or none right!

FJ: Sorry, Alex, but Romeo and Juliet are not a famous pair. At least, not to the character speaking the line.
Is there really any other viable answer besides the correct one? Troilus and Cressida are close, I guess. But you just can't see a character saying that about them and being taken seriously. Cleopatra was a Queen and Antony was a major politico in Rome. If you're seeking only title characters, there really isn't much else to find that fits that line of dialogue.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Paucle wrote:FJ: Sorry, Alex, but Romeo and Juliet are not a famous pair. At least, not to the character speaking the line.
Huh? Explain.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Paucle wrote:FJ: Sorry, Alex, but Romeo and Juliet are not a famous pair. At least, not to the character speaking the line.
huh? Explain.
Put yourself in Romeo and Juliet as a character. Now say "NO GRAVE UPON THE EARTH SHALL CLIP IN IT A PAIR SO FAMOUS."
Don't you think the other characters would look at you askance? "Dude, you know these are just a couple horny teenagers, right? I mean... there are actual FAMOUS people out there!"
Although I guess you could make the argument that it's rare people get buried in pairs, so maybe just MAYBE if this is the only time that ever happens, then yeah... these two crazy kids will indeed be the most famous pair ever buried together.

Short story long. RnJ are famous to us as characters, but within the scope of that quote possibly applying to them, they would've been just two kwazy kids.
TenPoundHammer wrote:I thought that was evil of them to use "voted off the island" in a clue about Lost.
That's why the voted part was in "", to show they didn't really mean it. I think if they were talking about Survivor, the "" wouldn't have been used.
Bamaman wrote:Judges...I said "Do they know its Christmas time at all?". (That's a line from the song). Is that good to go?
I was going to say no because you didn't phrase it as a question, then realized you didn't have to, it did so itself. :lol: