Friday, December 21, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, December 21, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6505, 2012-12-21

CONTESTANTS
Jessica Young, a recent college graduate originally from Charleston, West Virginia
Chrisanne Eastwood, a bookseller from Moorpark, California
Mike Wallace, a real estate agent from Sunnyside, New York (whose 1-day cash winnings total $)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hi, everyone. Sometimes in Final Jeopardy!, a player will take a big risk, make a large wager, and it pays off, and that's the case for Mike Wallace on yesterday's show. And as a result, he won $28,800. That's above the average. Chrisanne and Jessica, good luck. Here we go--the Jeopardy! Round. Categories are as follows...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LBJ PRESIDENTIAL LIBRARY (3/5)
DOUBLE TALK (3/5)
SKYSCRAPER CITY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SHEEP-POURRI (5/5)
COLLEGE BASKETBALL (4/4)
MARCH MADNESS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Mike: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Chrisanne: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Jessica: 7 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Chrisanne found the Daily Double on the 5th clue. Mike had $600, Chrisanne had $1,200, and Jessica was at $200. Chrisanne made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,200.

SKYSCRAPER CITY $1000: The Marriott Rivercenter at 101 Bowie St.

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Chrisanne: $3,600
Mike: $1,800
Jessica: -$400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Jessica Young is a young lady, recent graduate--college graduate from West Virginia who has never been on a second date. Now, by choice, I would assume.

[Jessica laughs.]

Alex: What--what's going on there?

Jessica: Well, I've either had mediocre to terrible first dates, or really terrific first dates that ended up turning into a relationship but never really a middle ground.

Alex: Oh, I see. [Apparent edit] Okay, well...

Alex: Chrisanne Eastwood is a bookseller from Moorpark, California, who has $2,000, but that total is going to go up because we have checked, and your response of a telex a while ago was correct regarding LBJ's use, and so you have $3,600. Now, your initials--C.E.--C. Eastwood.

Chrisanne: Yes.

Alex: Cause any problems?

Chrisanne: Yes. You know, being a woman--many women, uh, put their names in telephone books with just their first initial, so I put "C. Eastwood." Now, I lived in Los Angeles for many years, and people would go in there and think it was Clint Eastwood.

Alex: Mm-hm.

Chrisanne: And so I used to get prank phone calls and real phone calls, and they would pick it up and say, "Make my day, punk!" "Do you feel lucky?"

[Laughter]

Chrisanne: Or I'd get very earnest, you know, saying, "I've got a great script", "Mr. Eastwood, you're my favorite actor."

Alex: Oh.

Chrisanne: But as far as I know, we're not related.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Mike Wallace is our champion. He's a young man and had his first job--we're not talking about dates now--and he has testified, with other people, that it was the best first job you could ever want. It was...?

Mike: I was a dishwasher at a girls' summer camp, so...

[Laughter]

Alex: And you were how old?

Mike: 15, 16.

Alex: Hello!

Mike: Yeah. The work was hard, but the scenery was great.

[Laughter]

Alex: Yes. Okay.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
DOUBLE TALK $600: From Chinese, this piece of double talk can be a toast or casual, light chatter
(Chrisanne: What is chit-chat?)

DOUBLE TALK $1000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew holds a root in Molokai, HI.) Made from a root, the mildly sedative ancient elixir of Hawaii is called "'awa" locally but is known elsewhere by this double talk name
(Jessica: What is poi-poi?)

LBJ PRESIDENTIAL LIBRARY $400: A lifelong passion, including working with young people, is honored by having LBJ's name on the headquarters of this cabinet department

LBJ PRESIDENTIAL LIBRARY $1000: LBJ reminded world leaders that "we are one world" with copies of the photo taken from Apollo 8 with this 9-letter name

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Mike: $6,000
Chrisanne: $6,000
Jessica: $600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, December 21, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE WAR ON CHRISTMAS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SIGNATURE SONGS (5/5) (Alex: We'll give you the [*], you name the singer or the group.)
CHEWING GUAM (2/2)
"D" IN SCIENCE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
AMERICAN POETRY (1/3)
WORDS WITHIN WORDS (3/5) (Alex: Each response appears within the text of the clue.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Mike: 7 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Jessica: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 3 W
Chrisanne: 5 R, 4 W

Clues revealed: 25
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jessica snagged the next Daily Double on the 14th clue. Mike had $6,400, Chrisanne had $9,200, and Jessica was at $8,600. Jessica wagered $1,000.

"D" IN SCIENCE $1200: The name of this part of a neuron comes from the Greek for "pertaining to a tree"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Mike who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 18th clue. Mike had $10,000, Chrisanne had $8,400, and Jessica was at $10,400. Mike wagered $3,000.

THE WAR ON CHRISTMAS $1200: Dec. 25, 1837:
U.S. troops suffer heavy casualties fighting this Florida tribe at the Battle of Lake Okeechobee

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WORDS WITHIN WORDS $400: Grandma in Johannesburg sent my birthday check in this currency
(Alex: Johannesburg is in South Africa, the curreny is [*], and [*] appears in "Grandma." I hope you get the idea a little better now.)

WORDS WITHIN WORDS $1600: An irrational number can't be expressed as one of these between 2 integers
(Alex: And the word within "irrational" is [*].)

AMERICAN POETRY $1600: Emily Dickinson wrote, "I'm" this! "Who are you? Are you" this "too?"
(Jessica: Who is me?)
(Chrisanne: What is lonely?)
(Alex: [*]--I'm [*]--who are you?)

AMERICAN POETRY $1200: "I never turned anyone into a pig. Some people are pigs", Louise Gluck wrote in this enchantress' "Power"
(Jessica: Who is Morgan Lefet?)
(Chrisanne: Who is the Red Queen?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Mike: $17,000 (lock game)
Jessica: $6,800
Chrisanne: $4,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD CAPITALS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; two-thirds for second place.
Mike: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $3,399 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Jessica: Wager $2,801 to cover Chrisanne.
Chrisanne: Risk between $0 and $800, and you just may move up into second place.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
One of the 3 national capitals made up of 2 words that begin with the same letter

FINAL SCORES
Chrisanne: $4,800 + $0 = $4,800 (What is Addis Ababa?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Jessica: $6,800 - $1,453 = $5,347 (What is ... ___) (2nd place: $2,000)
Mike: $17,000 + $3,000 = $20,000 (What is Addis Ababa?) (2-day champion: $20,000)
(Alex: This is not as easy as some people may think. I came up with one of the three, then I kind of stalled.
[revealing Chrisanne's response]
What is Addis Ababa? You're absolutely right--Ethiopian capital.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $7,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Mike: $15,200, 17 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Jessica: $7,000, 16 R (including 1 DD), 5 W
Chrisanne: $4,600, 14 R (including 1 DD), 5 W
Combined Coryat: $26,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Mike: 18/59 = .305
Jessica: 16/59 = .271
Chrisanne: 15/59 = .254
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
DOUBLE TALK $200: This breed was kept by fierce Asian tribes for hunting & guarding

DOUBLE TALK $400: The music for this high-kicking dance of France is heard here

LBJ PRESIDENTIAL LIBRARY $200: The revamped main part of the library reopens tomorrow, December 22nd, which would have been this person's 100th birthday

LBJ PRESIDENTIAL LIBRARY $600: Truman had pushed for this system; LBJ signed it into law, & 81-year-old Harry got the first card

LBJ PRESIDENTIAL LIBRARY $800: The library has a replica of this, which LBJ was the first to use to contact Moscow; as you can see, it wasn't a red phone
(Jessica: What is a typewriter?)

(Chrisanne: What is a telex?)

[Chrisanne's response was initially ruled incorrect, but was reversed after the commercial break]

MARCH MADNESS $1000: It's said to have been inspired by a "colonel" who would whistle its distinctive 2-note phrase rather than shout "fore!"
(Mike: What is "Colonel Bogey's March"?)
(Alex: You shouldn't have put the "S" in, but that's okay--[*])

WORDS WITHIN WORDS $800: One of these raised at Sonoma in 1846 was lost in a conflagration in 1906
(Alex: [*] in conflagration--yes.)

WORDS WITHIN WORDS $1200: Wheezing & fainting are distinguishing signs of an allergic reaction to this ouchie

WORDS WITHIN WORDS $2000: There's no danger in reheating this soup--microwaves use nonionizing radiation
(Alex: [*] in "nonionizing"--correct.)

THE WAR ON CHRISTMAS $400: Dec. 25, this year:
5 months into WWI, German & British troops emerge from their trenches for a game of soccer
(Alex: That's the year.)

"D" IN SCIENCE $1600: (I'm Dr. Oz.) Replace half your sugary drink with water; sugar releases this neurotransmitter that travels along reward pathways in the brain, making you crave more sugar

THE WAR ON CHRISTMAS $800: December 25, 1776:
2,400 U.S. troops cross this river for a surprise attack
(Chrisanne: What's the Potomac?)
(Alex: That's the river.)

THE WAR ON CHRISTMAS $1600: December 25, 1939:
The Battle of Jelja commences in the "Winter War" between these 2 foes
(Chrisanne: Who is Germany & Poland?)
(Jessica: Who are Germany & Russia?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
San Antonio
chin-chin
kava-kava
the Department of Education
Earthrise
a dendrum (dendrite also acceptable)
the Seminole
the rand
ratio
nobody
Cerce
(1 of) Addis Ababa, San Salvador, Phnom Penh
the chow chow
the cancan
Lady Bird Johnson
Medicare
the hotline
"Colonel Bogey March"
a flag
a sting
onion
dopamine
the Delaware
Finland & Russia
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

I got stumped on FJ. It took me a bit to process what the clue was. I guessed Ulan Bator and then it wasn't until the answer was revealed that I was able to understand what they were looking for.

I equaled my high score of 28 today. 15 correct in the first round with 13 in DJ.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Grr, feel really bad about missing this final, it's a wheelhouse category for me, and when it came down to crunch time, I couldn't think of many two-word capitals. Flirted with Andorra la Vella for a little while, and kept returning to Kuala Lumpur, even though I knew full well both were wrong. Kicked myself when I saw the reveal because a) when I was going over the world capitals map in my head, I skipped over Africa entirely (I do that often when I'm asked to think of a country that matches such and such a criterion, should stop doing that as Africa has more countries than any other continent), and b) Phnom Penh is close to Kuala Lumpur.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
lisa0012
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by lisa0012 »

Interesting game, watching the contestants battle it out. Shame the women decided to battle it out in poetry and turned it into a lock for Mike (but good for Mike, and congrats on the win).

Got 2 of the 3 for FJ! without much trouble. Probably could have gotten to Central America with a little more effort.

Also, it's Boo-ie, not Bow-ie. Right Gamawire? :D
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Missed only "fleece" on Sheep. I was so busy trying to compress "pull the wool over one's eyes" into one word.

What clue to Beethoven did I miss on March for $200?

"Chin chin" is a thing?

Why is it in "Words Within Words", I often tend to pick apart every word but the one that has the answer in it? Heck, on $1200, I didn't even see that the key word was in the clue was in the first place. (Anyone got that clue for me?)

NHO Dark Matter.

4/5 on Signature Songs, with Deep Purple as my only miss.

How did we eat up so much time in DJ! anyway? The LTAM seemed really early here. Also, time's running out, so you go back to the category you've already racked up two TSes in. DERP.

I had Addis Ababa in my head since it was an answer to a daily game on the Wheel of Fortune forums this week. Sure, why not.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I'm not sure what was more shocking, the two challengers shoot themselves in the foot until there was nothing left but a stump, or Jessica going for the $800 clue when down 11k with the LTaM warning long gone, and needing a high value clue to break the lock Image

Though I often get them wrong even with the right answer staring me in the face, I love FJ clues like this. This time, I wasted a good 25 seconds trying to think of a C_____ City, before going alphabetically and immediately getting Addis Ababa. I managed to think of Phnom Penh a second after the music, but couldn't pull San Salvador before Alex said it. Meh.
ACW

Post by ACW »

"The work was hard but the scenery was great." :lol: :lol: :lol:
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

Eroica Symphony.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Addis Ababa was an in instaget, so I spent the 30 seconds trying to come up with the other two. Got nowhere. Definitely would have taken awhile to come up with either of those. But I'll take the get.
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

For some reason I came up with Phnom Penh first. Thought of Addis Ababa right after that, but I would've needed a lot more time to come up with San Salvador.
ChemTeacher
J! Teachers Tournament 2012-B

Post by ChemTeacher »

Got 21 right in J!, and 20 right in DJ!

My Shouts@TV included Earthrise, rand, and ratio (not sure if ratio was a TS?)

My most embarrassing miss was guessing this instead of this in Double Talk

Here's a nice explanation from Michio Kaku about dark matter:

TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

ComingUpMilhouse wrote:
Eroica Symphony.
News to me.
StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug »

Once we got the hang of Words Within Words, I had little trouble with it. I believe I was 3/5 in that category.

Dad precalled that The War on Christmas would have a clue having to do with WWI and one having to do with the Battle of the Bulge.

Slapping myself for not coming up with San Salvador in FJ! right now. I don't think the other two would have occurred to me. (Not my only stupid mistake today—I wasn't paying attention to the Trademark Songs category and gave what YMCA stood for instead of the band that performed the song of the same name.)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote:Addis Ababa was an in instaget, so I spent the 30 seconds trying to come up with the other two. Got nowhere. Definitely would have taken awhile to come up with either of those. But I'll take the get.
My situation exactly.

Also, how could "Colonel Bogey's March" possibly be accepted? That's not the title.
ChemTeacher
J! Teachers Tournament 2012-B

Post by ChemTeacher »

econgator wrote:Also, how could "Colonel Bogey's March" possibly be accepted? That's not the title.
Yes, very strange, indeed. It's almost as if TPTB allowed Alex to offer his own ruling right there on the spot. There might have been a camera/sound edit on Alex's comments, but I couldn't tell. He basically tells Mike that he added the "s" after Bogey, but aw shucks, we're just gonna let this slide, okay?

There is no reason why they couldn't have fixed it later and adjusted the score. After the commercial break I thought Alex would say "Well, Mike, we have some bad news for you. It turns out that your response of 'Colonel Bogey's March' was ruled incorrect by our judges. Soar-ee about that...."
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Missed tonight's episode because of my weekly Patriots Pre-Game Curse (which will thankfully end in a few weeks), but FJ --- which I got from today's NYT --- was an Instaget for me. Funny story, after I won my episode, the taxi driver back to the Doubletree was an immigrant from Ethiopia, and I said to him, "Hey, your capitol is Addis Ababa!" He thought that was cool...
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Hammer: I can't make you write lines on a chalkboard. Instead just read below.

Jeopardy! Round, Double Jeopardy! Round, or Tiebreaker Round clues (14 results returned)

#6135, aired 2011-04-22

CLASSICAL COMPOSERS $400: His "Heroic" Period, from about 1803 to 1812, produced his "Eroica" Symphony

#5760, aired 2009-10-02

I HEAR A SYMPHONY $2,200 (Daily Double): His Third Symphony in E Flat Major is known as "Eroica"

#5414, aired 2008-03-06

CURSES $800: The curse of the 9th says that anyone who writes a 9th symphony will die soon after, as did this "Eroica" composer

#5402, aired 2008-02-19

CLASSICAL MUSIC $1600: His symphonies include "Eroica", "Pastoral", & "Chorale"

#4806, aired 2005-06-27

CLASSICAL COMPOSERS $400: As published, his "Eroica" symphony was dedicated to his patron Prince Lobkowitz

#4738, aired 2005-03-23

ROLL OVER, BEETHOVEN $2000: Symphony Beethoven "composed to celebrate the memory of a great man"

#4518, aired 2004-04-07

PIECES OF APRIL $1000: On April 7, 1805 Beethoven premiered this symphony that was inspired by Napoleon

#4143, aired 2002-09-11

ROLL OVER, BEETHOVEN $800: Beethoven lifted a theme from his own "Prometheus" for his 3rd Symphony, called this

#3346, aired 1999-03-08

FILM BIOGRAPHIES $1000: Among the film portrayals of Beethoven are Ewald Balser's in 1949's "Eroica" & Gary Oldman's in this 1994 film

#3272, aired 1998-11-24

CLASSICAL MUSIC $200: His "Eroica" symphony was dedicated to his patron Prince Lobkowitz, not Napoleon as first intended

#3052, aired 1997-12-02

CLASSICAL COMPOSERS $200: His period of work between "Eroica" & Symphony No. 8 is known as his heroic decade

#3021, aired 1997-10-20

FICTION $400: In a Kipling story, this mongoose heroically battles a cobra

#2346, aired 1994-11-14

MUSIC $400: He composed the "Eroica Variations" before he wrote the "Eroica Symphony"

#1881, aired 1992-11-09

CLASSICAL MUSIC $400: Beethoven originally dedicated his 1804 "Eroica" symphony to this world leader
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Instagot Phnom Penh, briefly thought and came up with San Salvador, and pulled out Addis Ababa with time to spare. Probably could have written them all too!

edit:
MarkBarrett wrote:#3021, aired 1997-10-20

FICTION $400: In a Kipling story, this mongoose heroically battles a cobra
I laughed.
Last edited by seaborgium on Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

How did we not get to all the clues in the DJ round? As Judge Judy would say, "Um is not an answer." One of the challengers is lucky I'm not on the CC staff. No way she gets by the mock game on my watch. Even with College Basketball the last category in play she couldn't spit out the next selection in a timely manner. That and the $1000 wager on a DD in the $1200 box had me happy the lock was in place thanks to things like typewriter and Morgan le Fay sending her score backwards.

Chrisanne's prank call story had me laughing as friends and I were guilty many times of hitting the white pages for famous names. Modern phone amenities ended up ruining such harrassments.

Thank goodness Mike had a good age range for his camp dishwasher story. If he had been past legal drinking age then it would have been creepy. Instead Mike's story worked to pull off a good one liner.

Thank you writers for not giving Addis Ababa and asking for one of the other two. For once I had the right approach to such things and did not have the time waster others have posted. Instead of picking a continent I went to "A". Using the sound of the letter like "Ay Ay and Ah Ah" I was able to quickly have it solved. In the remaining time I made it from "Buh buh" to "Nuh nuh" with nothing. Even if I had made it to "P" or "S" I'm not sure the capital would have jumped out to me.

That was a nice defense by Mike to let his opponents neg themselves too many times while he kept his score from hitting the down escalator.