FJs for the 12/17/12 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 12/17/12 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:28 pm

Thoreau noted in 1854, it "resounds at every post. it is a harp with one string--the first strain from the American lyre"
55%
In 1805 the second in command to this hero said, "I wish (he) would stop signaling. We all know what we have to do"
79%
The last speech in this play says, "No grave upon the earth shall clip in it a pair so famous"
68%
Alphabetically, this breed is last on the recognized list of the American Kennel Club
62%
One of the 3 national capitals made up of 2 words that begin with the same letter
76%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
18%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJs.
1%
MATH FUN $400: It's the response to the classic riddle "Why is 6 afraid of 7?"
78%
ARCHITECTURE $1600: Recipients of the Pritzker Prize receive a medallion based on designs by this Chicagoan, the "Father of the Skyscraper"
21%
MYTHING IN ACTION $600: This woman whose prophecies were disbelieved was one of Agamemnon's spoils after Troy fell
59%
On Wednesday I recognized the possibility that Justin with 11,600 could wager zero in FJ against the other scores of 3,400 and 17,400.
34%

Total votes: 99

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 12/17/12 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's not often I have to go out on a Saturday, but a 50th wedding anniversary celebration for my parents seems like a good reason. Therefore, I'm posting this poll a little early this week.

12/17 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY INVENTIONS

12/17 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Thoreau noted in 1854, it "resounds at every post. it is a harp with one string--the first strain from the American lyre"

12/18 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PEOPLE IN BRITISH HISTORY

12/18 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1805 the second in command to this hero said, "I wish (he) would stop signaling. We all know what we have to do"

12/19 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SHAKESPEARE

12/19 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The last speech in this play says, "No grave upon the earth shall clip in it a pair so famous"

12/20 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
DOG BREEDS

12/20 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Alphabetically, this breed is last on the recognized list of the American Kennel Club

12/21 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD CAPITALS

12/21 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
One of the 3 national capitals made up of 2 words that begin with the same letter

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Telegraph
(Horatio) Nelson
Antony and Cleopatra
Yorkshire Terrier
[1 of] Addis Ababa, Phnom Penh or San Salvador
The players were 9/15 (60.00%) with a 1-3-1-2-2 success pattern.

The extra clues have two correct by the players sandwiching a triple stumper. For the holidays I decided to be generous and include the math fun one for those that often are 0/3 on the extra clues.

MATH FUN $400: It's the response to the classic riddle "Why is 6 afraid of 7?"

ARCHITECTURE $1600: Recipients of the Pritzker Prize receive a medallion based on designs by this Chicagoan, the "Father of the Skyscraper"

MYTHING IN ACTION $600: This woman whose prophecies were disbelieved was one of Agamemnon's spoils after Troy fell

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Because 7 8 9
Louis Sullivan
Cassandra
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 12/17/12 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

I didn't get you you little Thursday FJ clue and your little dog too. :x

In one of the daily threads I thought I recalled another poll request other than's Justin's potential wager. I didn't note it at the time and couldn't find it on a quick search tonight. Sorry.

I felt like I could have made another poll just to ask about the questionable judging calls of the week and how many of the Friday capital cities we got.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Not sure I've ever heard of Mr Sullivan. :oops:

Two weeks in a row of all five!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

MarkBarrett wrote:For the holidays I decided to be generous and include the math fun one for those that often are 0/3 on the extra clues.
Thank you.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :(

No clue on the wager.

Did anyone share this yet? (sorry, I haven't figured out how to embed video yet) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1cnJ_pOAdQ
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :oops: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:( :( :mrgreen:

Should have known better than Wellington over Nelson. Best I could come up with Thurs was "Wolfhound"...
Said "Pnomh Penh" Fri...that's the way I spelled it, and I'm counting it...
Not sure if I got 7-8-9...it's familiar but it took me a few too many seconds to remember it exactly...I know Louis Sullivan was Frank Lloyd Wright's mentor, but there's another architect named Louis Kahn - there was a documentary film about him a few years ago - and I mixed them up...
Not thrilled about the week...
Last edited by davey on Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :evil:
Justin could do who in the what now?

Oh, and on the first bonus clue:

"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

It could have been a 5/5 week for me: I 50/50'd wrongly between Wellington and Nelson on Tuesday, and more or less ignored Y after coming up empty on Z on Thursday, settling on Weimaraner. I made up for my two misses by coming up with two more responses than I needed on Friday, though!

Not only did I recognize that Justin should wager $0 (or everything) on Wednesday, I also recognized that Jen should wager $0 on Thursday (being in third in a "first equals second plus half of third" scenario).
SkeeBallRaif
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by SkeeBallRaif »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mon: The Victrola? The string vibrating made me think of music, so I never got to the more obvious answers.
Tues: Surprised that this is common knowledge; I have never heard of Horatio Nelson. Glad to have identified a blind spot, though.
Wed: Eliminated R&J, not because they weren't famous enough (context of that clue could have meant that they were destined to be famous), but because that was entirely too obvious. Then thought of A&C, and understood the fame part.
Thurs: Spent most of the clue trying to figure out if a Westie was a Westminster or a Westmoreland Terrier, and thinking of terriers reminded me of the Yorkie.
Fri: Addis Ababa basically instantly. Wouldn't have gotten the other two (San Salvador I wouldn't have retrieved, and just wouldn't have known the other.)
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
... and ;)

Too hasty. R&J and Pandora were instinctual and didn't really get around to thinking them over. I should know Sullivan better but my first thought when it comes to skyscrapers and Chicago is always Mies van der Rohe, even though I know he's later.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :( :mrgreen:

For the season:
FJ: 33-37
Extras: 18-27
Teacher's 6-4
Longest FJ winning streak: 7 (active 4)
Longest FJ losing streak: 6
5/5:0
4/5:2
3/5:5
2/5:3
1/5:4
0/5:0

M-Had banjo, got telegraph as the last note sounded, would not have had time to write it, so counting it as a miss. (Is this how we are supposed to do it?). The wording led me to a musical instrument and Thoreau seemed like and odd sort to be writing a poem about modern technology.
T-Instaget
W-Started with R&J, switched pretty quickly
T-Worried there was a Z breed I was missing, but felt good about it.
F-I didn't write it out, may have misspelled it if I had, but counting it as a get, balances out Monday.

I did notice the 2/3 game situation. I probably would have gone all in in his spot, hate betting on the other person to miss, though I had my doubts she'd see the logic of offering a tie.

I think a better poll choice would have been "I screamed at the TV when he bet $3,000 on the late Daily Double with a $800 lead and only $1,200 left on the board".
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

:D :D :D :D :D
:D :( :D

Just couldn't come with Sullivan quickly enough.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :( :(

Never heard of Sullivan, blanked on Cassandra, and it's not that I didn't recognize the scenario, rather that I don't bother considering wagering strategy (except the very obvious, like lock-ties).
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Had Monday but backed away, fearing I'd get Liederkranzed.

I know I didn't miss an episode this week, but I don't recall Tuesday's FJ! at all. Also NHO Horatio Nelson.

Romeo & Juliet Wednesday.

Math gives me a migraine, so I don't know or care what anyone wagers on anything.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Had Monday but backed away, fearing I'd get Liederkranzed.
Not sure I understand your use of Liederkranz as a metaphor there. How could an invention that everybody has heard of compare to a cheese hardly anybody knows? (Did you notice in retrospect, BTW, your odds of getting it right increased 100% by putting down a "wild guess" as opposed to leaving it blank?)
TenPoundHammer wrote:Also NHO Horatio Nelson.
and
SkeeBallRaif wrote:Tues: Surprised that this is common knowledge; I have never heard of Horatio Nelson.
That's just "yikes."
MarkBarrett wrote:I didn't get you you little Thursday FJ clue and your little dog too.
Your comment is "Terrier" than your guess, you're saying? (There's a Wizard of Oz pun there, who sees it?)
MarkBarrett wrote:It's not often I have to go out on a Saturday, but a 50th wedding anniversary celebration for my parents seems like a good reason. Therefore, I'm posting this poll a little early this week.
Well, ok. Don't let it happen on their 75th, though!
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Congratulations and best wishes to your parents, Mark!

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Aagh, the guy at Trafalgar ... it was an admiral ... admiral who? Horatio something? Horatio Hornblower, Horatio Alger, Hubert Horatio ... more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of ... aaaggghhh!!!

Count me among those who wasted time and snagged brain cells trying to ID a dog breed whose name started with a Z.

And when I hit the "pause" button at the end of Wednesday's DJ! round, my calculations did indeed point to $0 as Justin's ideal wager. Pity I didn't know that much about wagering when I actually played the game ...
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug »

Forgot the face posts :oops:

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :(
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Paucle wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:I didn't get you you little Thursday FJ clue and your little dog too.
Your comment is "Terrier" than your guess, you're saying? (There's a Wizard of Oz pun there, who sees it?)
MarkBarrett wrote:It's not often I have to go out on a Saturday, but a 50th wedding anniversary celebration for my parents seems like a good reason. Therefore, I'm posting this poll a little early this week.
Well, ok. Don't let it happen on their 75th, though!
Toto was played by a dog whose real name was ...

My dad is 79, so a 75th is something I don't see happening.

Budphrey wrote:Congratulations and best wishes to your parents, Mark!
Thanks Bud. It was extra special that my 95-year-old grandfather was able to see his middle daughter make it to a golden anniversary.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

MarkBarrett wrote:My dad is 79, so a 75th is something I don't see happening.
MarkBarrett wrote:Thanks Bud. It was extra special that my 95-year-old grandfather was able to see his middle daughter make it to a golden anniversary.
This second statement would seem, somewhat, to contradict the first. In 25 years, your dad will only be nine years ahead of your grandfather's current age. Lots can happen to the average lifespan by then.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.