FJs for the 12/17/12 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 12/17/12 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:28 pm

Thoreau noted in 1854, it "resounds at every post. it is a harp with one string--the first strain from the American lyre"
55%
In 1805 the second in command to this hero said, "I wish (he) would stop signaling. We all know what we have to do"
79%
The last speech in this play says, "No grave upon the earth shall clip in it a pair so famous"
68%
Alphabetically, this breed is last on the recognized list of the American Kennel Club
62%
One of the 3 national capitals made up of 2 words that begin with the same letter
76%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
18%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJs.
1%
MATH FUN $400: It's the response to the classic riddle "Why is 6 afraid of 7?"
78%
ARCHITECTURE $1600: Recipients of the Pritzker Prize receive a medallion based on designs by this Chicagoan, the "Father of the Skyscraper"
21%
MYTHING IN ACTION $600: This woman whose prophecies were disbelieved was one of Agamemnon's spoils after Troy fell
59%
On Wednesday I recognized the possibility that Justin with 11,600 could wager zero in FJ against the other scores of 3,400 and 17,400.
34%

Total votes: 99

Sage on the Hudson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Whom gods destroy they first make skeptical

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

Paucle wrote:Not sure I've ever heard of Mr Sullivan. :oops:
Not to be confused with G.W. Bush's Secretary of Health and Human Services.

econgator wrote:Never heard of Sullivan, blanked on Cassandra, and it's not that I didn't recognize the scenario, rather that I don't bother considering wagering strategy (except the very obvious, like lock-ties).
Cassandra actually told you it was Sullivan, but you refused to believe her.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Re: FJs for the 12/17/12 week

Post by Linear Gnome »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I got Addis Ababa--probably would have gotten the other two if given enough time, but didn't get them within 30 seconds.

I'd like to think I might have gotten Wednesday's FJ if I had not just returned from a trip a bit tired and had not watched M-Tu-W consecutively.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Paucle wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Had Monday but backed away, fearing I'd get Liederkranzed.
Not sure I understand your use of Liederkranz as a metaphor there. How could an invention that everybody has heard of compare to a cheese hardly anybody knows? (Did you notice in retrospect, BTW, your odds of getting it right increased 100% by putting down a "wild guess" as opposed to leaving it blank?)
By that I mean, I backed away from telegraph, for fear that the actual answer would be something insanely obscure that no one's heard of.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Paucle wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Had Monday but backed away, fearing I'd get Liederkranzed.
Not sure I understand your use of Liederkranz as a metaphor there. How could an invention that everybody has heard of compare to a cheese hardly anybody knows? (Did you notice in retrospect, BTW, your odds of getting it right increased 100% by putting down a "wild guess" as opposed to leaving it blank?)
By that I mean, I backed away from telegraph, for fear that the actual answer would be something insanely obscure that no one's heard of.
But...

Why am I even asking this?

Wouldn't it be safer to put down an answer that somebody (especially yourself) has heard of, rather than leaving it blank?

I don't know how many times this has been explained to you:

Your chances of a blank answer being correct are zero.

The chances of a non-blank answer being correct, even if it's 0.00001, is always greater than zero.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thu - "Terrier" Just that. No Yorkshire. Dog breeds is not my specialty.
Fri - Phnom Penh.

No shot on Sullivan.

And (after I did the math, I just quickly skim over betting strat posts) I can recognize how one might consider it valid strategy.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :( :mrgreen:
Last edited by ElendilPickle on Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

bpmod wrote:Why am I even asking this?

Wouldn't it be safer to put down an answer that somebody (especially yourself) has heard of, rather than leaving it blank?
Because I have absolutely no confidence whatsoever. I've had so many guesses bite me in the butt due to me mis-remembering a key detail, misreading the clue, etc.. And far more instances where I arrived at an answer that was miles off due to faulty logic or overlooking something blatantly obvious (e.g., guessing Celine Dion on that "best selling female Canadian singer" clue because I, someone who has listened to almost nothing but country for 25 years, completely overlooked Shania Twain).

tl;dr: I'm so accustomed to any possible answer that pops into my head being wrong that I will instantly doubt the heck out of it. I back out so often because my mind is screaming "No, no, no, don't you dare write that, it's WROOOOOOOOOONG!!"
earendel

Post by earendel »

I figured that the contestants would have the same answer I did, if they had an answer at all - Addis Ababa. Neither of the others occurred to me until Alex listed them.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
bpmod wrote:Why am I even asking this?

Because I have absolutely no confidence whatsoever.
It seems to me that you have enormous confidence. Just confidence that your answer will be wrong, rather than right.

Just forget about the confidence. If something comes to you, no matter what, don't rethink it. Don't second-guess yourself.

On the other hand, if nothing comes to you, take a wild guess. It can never be more wrong than a blank. I admit, sometimes I don't even have a wild guess. But that is the only time I leave it blank. Even if there is the remotest possibility that I have heard of something close to the question, that's what I guess. I have been right more often than wrong in those situations.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had never heard of Sullivan, either. If its not Frank Lloyd Wright, IM Pei or Mike Brady, I'm screwed on architects.

I knew the 7-8-9 joke, but couldn't pull it out in time.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

:D :D :D :D :D

:D :( :( :D

It wasn't a perfecto week on this poll, but a 5/5 FJ week is a nice present to find under my tree.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I like the following variation of the 7-8-9 joke:

Why was six afraid of seven?

Because seven was a registered six offender.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

skullturf wrote:I like the following variation of the 7-8-9 joke:

Why was six afraid of seven?

Because seven was a registered six offender.
That reminds me of an incident from our recent stay in New Zealand when we were renting a car. Kiwis pronounce short e like our short i and vice versa. When my wife asked the female rental company employee how to get to (hwy) six, she was greeted with a look of alarm :geek: