Online Test Recap & Discussion (Eastern), January 8, 2013

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

29mcvcm
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Re: Online Test Recap & Discussion (Eastern), January 8, 2013

Post by 29mcvcm »

After looking over the answers, I got either a 37 or 38. I can't believe I got that, I had so many lucky guesses, but I'm happy! Since I have no idea about this whole audition process, does anyone have like a link or FAQ that details the online test score cutoff, in-person audition rules, logistics... stuff like that? Also, can I still take the upcoming College Test without voiding my eligibility for Adult? Thank you!
the_phil
60% or Bust

Post by the_phil »

satori wrote:On that last question, do you think they would accept "y" as a vowel? (It sometimes is ....)
What about just "air"? I'd say they're pretty at home there. Assuming they don't accept that, an unofficial 40 for me. That's +6 from last year's 34 and +11 from DoT's practice test.

That just made my week.
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

49/50, which seems crazy. Easier for me than last year. Hubs and I take it tomorrow night, me for fun, he for real. Good luck, everyone!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

46/50 for me (said Black Sea rather than Caspian - D'oh!). I agree that this one seemed easy, certainly easier than DoT's warmup. Thanks for the transcription, Sg.
eureka
Valued Contributor

Post by eureka »

Question 5, Cornell came to mind, but I went elsewhere.

I don't drink alcohol, so no shot there. Screwdriver or Bloody Mary, that I know.

I have no interest in The Hunger games movie. Someone was going to lend me the books. I said there was no hurry, but I was wrong.

Ancient Rome I was going to go for Peloponnesian Wars. I couldn't spell it, and it seemed too long a word for 15 seconds, so I went with Punic.

I was going for red instead of scarlet. I then rememebered about the scarlet pimpernel story. Not to be confused with Wayne and Schuster's The Scarlet Pumpernickel as my brother does.

I apologize for saying I channelled TPH with Farmville. I had no idea, never played it, but it did pop into my mind and I dismissed it. I do think though that I wouldn't really have had a chance to type it in the time given.

Thank you for one of the practice tests posted for the Stephen King answer.

My birthstone was easy.

I had something else for the Andes. I tried to correct it, but it ended up being the sandes.

I was lost on blue shoe. Just went with name a colour and think of a rhyme. I think show and blue came at the same time in my head.

Bushel could just not come to mind. My dad always goes to the farmers market and gets apples, bushels of apples. I imagined the apples, but the word just would not come.

I did not know the eagle nest question. I have seen the word before, at the mall . Aerie a store from American Eagle. Now I know.

I think my total is 34. 2 are iffy on spelling.
billiej
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by billiej »

Awww man, a 41. Guess who just got home and has to wait until tomorrow to take it for real. :x
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

eureka wrote:I had something else for the Andes. I tried to correct it, but it ended up being the sandes.
You had the entire correct word, with an extraneous letter in front that happens to be the neighbor of the key you had to hit. That'll probably fly.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

39 for me (6 of my incorrects being in the last 10 (43 and 46-50 with only a guess attempted on 48)).

Agree with most that it seems easy, but then DoT's practice test seemed easy too where I had a similar score. Hopefully this will hold when I take "for realsies" on Thursday and I get my first audition!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Paucle wrote:
eureka wrote:I had something else for the Andes. I tried to correct it, but it ended up being the sandes.
You had the entire correct word, with an extraneous letter in front that happens to be the neighbor of the key you had to hit. That'll probably fly.
That reminds me, the feature on my mac that "suggests the correct word for your typing" (not quite "auto correct, as I can cancel the correction before sending) changed a few of my answers in notepad as well. I don't think it will do it during the test, though.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
suzyqz

Post by suzyqz »

I got 36 right, and that might sound pitiful to a lot of you, but it's the best I've ever done. If my brain hadn't frozen, as it did, I would have remembered Heidi Klum, Jonas Salk, and Nelson Mandela, since they came to me right after, just too late. I'm pretty happy with my score, although I took the test under my cat's name. I'm taking the test under my real name on wednesday, and it will be just my luck that it's a much more difficult test.

Good luck to everyone who is taking it wednesday and thursday.
Bbgirl67

Post by Bbgirl67 »

I'm pretty psyched - I got 45/50 (46 if they count 'rover', although I'm pretty sure it won't count).

My husband and I both made secondary auditions two years ago and I'm sure I only got 35 right that time, so I'm hopeful that I get another shot at it.

I agree with others that it seemed pretty easy (many pop culture questions) and at least two questions were very familiar (Susie Salmon and another one that is escaping me right now).

Good luck everyone! :)
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

I checked youtube for video of the test before opening this thread and am glad I did... video posted here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hP7XTU88ME
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Bbgirl67 wrote:I agree with others that it seemed pretty easy (many pop culture questions)
That is contradictory. But for the pop culture, I woulda aced it.
Turd Ferguson wrote:I checked youtube for video of the test before opening this thread and am glad I did... video posted here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hP7XTU88ME
Horrible video quality. I cannot read any of the answers being typed.

Would you like mine? My capture program seems to drop about 50% of the frames, so it plays back at almost double speed. But, other than that, the quality is superb. (Except for the quality of the answers)

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
LuigiNovi

Post by LuigiNovi »

Satori: assuming the hyphen was optional in Moby-Dick...

Has to be. The test rules state that they will consider partial or misspelled answers, so there's no way that they'd disqualify that.

Sel: Couldn't number 19 be "yellow"? As in yellow fever and yellow pimpernel (a flower)

I'm going to guess that they were going for "scarlet", but I think this would be one of those times when the judges would later find in your favor, since yellow is valid too. Just my opinion.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

bpmod wrote: Horrible video quality. I cannot read any of the answers being typed.

Would you like mine? My capture program seems to drop about 50% of the frames, so it plays back at almost double speed. But, other than that, the quality is superb. (Except for the quality of the answers)
If I was posting a video of my test to youtube, I might not mind that my typed answers were unreadable. As a viewer, I actually preferred not seeing the typed answers, as they would "distract" me otherwise.

I'd love to be able to "play along" with this week's other tests... playing along with a transcript is nice, but I find it to be a much different experience (maybe that's just me?). If the archivists are capturing both other tests (dhkendall mentioned he was planning on doing it for his) I would really appreciate it if they were posted, say, at the top of the recap threads (or in another thread).
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Turd Ferguson wrote:If I was posting a video of my test to youtube, I might not mind that my typed answers were unreadable.
I hadn't thought of it that way. In light of my last comment in my previous post, maybe I should scrub them from the video. I could probably figure out how to do that.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Mathew5000
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Mathew5000 »

DadofTwins wrote:Does anybody know if the test-taking interface is compatible with voice-recognition software like Dragon? Has anybody tried it?
I would guess it is not compatible with Dragon, but you can try it out with their "computer check": http://www.jeopardy.com/onlinetests/adult/sampletest/

Do you want to use Dragon because of a disability? I thought I read somewhere on the Jeopardy site, maybe the FAQ, that they will make an effort to accommodate.
sarahbree
Contributor

Post by sarahbree »

43/50, much more relaxed than last year, obviously. My husband took it for real but got nailed on all the pop culture stuff. I'll bet he won't be teasing me so much about my love for trashy magazines...
I wish all of the eligible, potential contestants the best of luck! It was such a wild ride and I am grateful to have found this forum to keep the dream alive. And a HUGE thank you to the archivists for getting it up so quickly- WOW!
satori
Contributor

Post by satori »

LuigiNovi wrote:Satori: assuming the hyphen was optional in Moby-Dick...

Has to be. The test rules state that they will consider partial or misspelled answers, so there's no way that they'd disqualify that.
Good, I assume you're right on this one. Now I'm just hoping they accepted "eyrie". (In those few seconds, I couldn't decide which was more likely, that they'd accept "y" as a vowel or that "aerie" was a legit alternate spelling, so I left my original "eyrie" there.)
Thinking globally, acting locally, snacking frequently.
jsmack65

Post by jsmack65 »

Thanks for so quickly posting the questions, so I could double-check. 46/50 - Egypt was just bone-headedness on my part, and I talked myself out of Caspian Sea.

About the scoring - I see people mention getting an audition invite with scores in the upper 30s and low 40s. Is it possible they're weeding out the highest scorers, as well as the lowest? One would think someone who goes 49 or 50 for 50 would ultimately cost the producers some serious loot on the actual show, so there might be some incentive to minimize their losses and encourage turn over of champions. I'm imagining there's a "sweet spot" somewhere between 36 and 43, maybe.