Online Test Recap & Discussion (Pacific), January 10, 2013

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Re: Online Test Recap & Discussion (Pacific), January 10, 2013

Post by ElendilPickle »

44 right for me; I missed Beyonce, Lake Michigan, Puccini, Pierre, binary stars, and United. Tuesday's test was easiest for me, and I ended up with 48/44/44 for the week.
Last edited by ElendilPickle on Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

Another suggestion for practice, if you are using the YouTube videos to get as close as you can to the feel of the real thing...type your responses into the search field, one after the other as you go on. As long as you don't hit Enter or the magnifying glass to start a new search, nothing will happen, and you will get the feel of typing the answers in real time, with a written answer to verify against. Plus you see if you can do it faster than the person on the video! That last is for those of us who just can't seem to overcome the competition urge.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

35 on the nose for me on the Pacific test, after a 37 on Tuesday and a 29 (the one that counted) on Wednesday

I agree that Tuesday was the easiest and Thursday was a close second. I had a few WAGs on Thursday's that I really thought were right but turned out to be wrong.
movieman
Contributor

Post by movieman »

I don't know if they would have counted these as right. I said bona fide for #11 and komodo for #49.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Missed ten on this one (4, 6, 7, 18, 20, 29 [reversed the words in the title], 30, 37, 38, and 43). Couple of lucky guesses in there.

-M
Bbgirl67

Post by Bbgirl67 »

sherder wrote:I'm sticking with Tuesday as the easiest for me, followed closely by this one.
Same here! Although, I have found that pop culture is more my thing, which I think there were more of Tuesday. I guess I should be ashamed that they were my quickest answers, but I'm working on my history/geography. I know the opposite is true for many other members. 43 today.

Good luck everyone :)

P.S. How does everyone know of the architect? I've never even heard of the gentleman!
Bbgirl67

Post by Bbgirl67 »

I just wanted to point out, since multiple people were discussing it, that HG is a form of morning sickness.

According to the APA (American Pregnancy Association):
Recent studies show that at least 60,000 cases of extreme morning sickness called hyperemesis gravidarum (HG) are reported by those who treated in a hospital.

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregna ... darum.html

They go on to point out the differences between general morning sickness (including vomiting while able to keep some food down) and HG (including vomiting without being able to keep food down at all), but they are both considered morning sickness. Signs of HG include: weight loss of 5% or more of pre-pregnancy weight, dehydration, rapid heartbeat, and fainting, among others. Patients often require multiple hospitalizations to get IV fluids and nutrients and often have MS much longer than just the first trimester.

The NIH says:
Hyperemesis gravidarum is extreme, persistent nausea and vomiting during pregnancy that may lead to dehydration.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency ... 001499.htm

I know I'm new here and I really didn't want to step on anyone's toes. I just saw multiple people talking about it and wanted to quickly clear it up for future reference. I do agree that nausea or vomiting should also count, since they are part of the medical definition. :)
tagNV
Member of Our Studio Audience

Post by tagNV »

billiej wrote:Ick, 31 this time around, so at least I can take some comfort in the fact that my for real test Wednesday wasn't the worst possible choice (34). Still stings that I would've easily passed Tuesday (41).

Ah well, back to my mantra, "There's always next year!"
You got a 34 on what seems to be the toughest of the 3 tests, with at least a few problematic questions. If TPTB make any adjustment based on test difficulty, I'd say you'll probably be placed in the pool they randomly choose auditions from. I hope so!
billiej
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by billiej »

tagNV wrote:
billiej wrote:Ick, 31 this time around, so at least I can take some comfort in the fact that my for real test Wednesday wasn't the worst possible choice (34). Still stings that I would've easily passed Tuesday (41).

Ah well, back to my mantra, "There's always next year!"
You got a 34 on what seems to be the toughest of the 3 tests, with at least a few problematic questions. If TPTB make any adjustment based on test difficulty, I'd say you'll probably be placed in the pool they randomly choose auditions from. I hope so!
Thanks for the encouragement, but I'm not holding my breath. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than get my hopes up. :P
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

marpocky wrote:I had vomiting for the Kate Middleton question instead of morning sickness. Judges?
I said nausea. I would hope that was acceptable but it didn't make a difference since I passed with plenty to spare with or without that one. Judges?
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I must just like torturing myself. After my computer glitch prevented me from taking the Tuesday test, I took it from the transcript and scored 39 which should be an easy pass.

Wednesday I was able to log in successfully and found it the hardest of the three by far, with six (!) books and author clues and nothing at all about sports. I MAY have passed by the skin of my teeth (Thornton Wilder!) if either one of the "questionable alternate answers" is accepted as OK.

Then of course I just had to take the last test from the transcript, and found it the easiest of the three by far. I had 35 right by the time I got to the 43rd clue (42nd, if they count "nausea" for "morning sickness") and cruised in with a comfortable 41/42, but not for real. Sigh.

Good luck to all.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

John Boy wrote:
marpocky wrote:I had vomiting for the Kate Middleton question instead of morning sickness. Judges?
I said nausea. I would hope that was acceptable but it didn't make a difference since I passed with plenty to spare with or without that one. Judges?
I think that would elicit a BMS on the show, so can't be accepted on the test.

I hope they accept Judy Bloom :) .
guitarldy25
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by guitarldy25 »

Bbgirl67 wrote:
sherder wrote:I'm sticking with Tuesday as the easiest for me, followed closely by this one.
Same here! Although, I have found that pop culture is more my thing, which I think there were more of Tuesday. I guess I should be ashamed that they were my quickest answers, but I'm working on my history/geography. I know the opposite is true for many other members. 43 today.

Good luck everyone :)

P.S. How does everyone know of the architect? I've never even heard of the gentleman!

General question ....I took test first time ( did not do very well) Thur, Jan 10th; are there ways people could take the prior tests as just "practice", but with the actual "pressure". (ie, different sign-ins?). I didn't think so, but could have helped a bit to experience how 15 seconds feels! Good luck to everyone else! Also, if they actually have to offer a re-take (someone said they were locked out despite testing their system), how do they let people know? Thanx again for responses.
Doogie2K
Contributor

Post by Doogie2K »

I have a bit of a general question. Didn't the instructions say that misspelled or incomplete responses would be judged within reason? And that whatever was in the blank when the timer was up would be your recorded answer? There are a lot of people here worried about spelling and capitalization and such, and I'm a bit surprised by that. For example, on the Captain Nemo question, I recognized it at the :13 mark, got "Nemp" in the field, and didn't get time to change it or press Submit. Based on my reading of the instructions, I'd get a point, because it was in the blank when the timer ended, and p/o is a common typo. I wish the site was still up so I could re-read them and be sure.

(I got 28/50. I was reminded after the fact that they're firm on "Revelation" and I think I put an "s" on the end. Dammit. :()
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Doogie2K wrote:I have a bit of a general question. Didn't the instructions say that misspelled or incomplete responses would be judged within reason? And that whatever was in the blank when the timer was up would be your recorded answer? There are a lot of people here worried about spelling and capitalization and such, and I'm a bit surprised by that. For example, on the Captain Nemo question, I recognized it at the :13 mark, got "Nemp" in the field, and didn't get time to change it or press Submit. Based on my reading of the instructions, I'd get a point, because it was in the blank when the timer ended, and p/o is a common typo. I wish the site was still up so I could re-read them and be sure.

(I got 28/50. I was reminded after the fact that they're firm on "Revelation" and I think I put an "s" on the end. Dammit. :()
Yes, and yes. The general word of wisdom here is that you should *never* click "submit" for your answers, and just let what's in there at the end of :15 be your answer. If it's an instaget and you have 8 seconds left, great, take a breather for 8 seconds! I know I didn't hit "submit" once (allowed me to change my answer to the correct one at more than one opportunity as well). "Nemp" for "Nemo" could be considered, I don't know, I'm not grading the darn things.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
tagNV
Member of Our Studio Audience

Post by tagNV »

Doogie2K wrote:I have a bit of a general question. Didn't the instructions say that misspelled or incomplete responses would be judged within reason? And that whatever was in the blank when the timer was up would be your recorded answer?
Here's the relevant info from the the "wait screen" before the test starts.
from J! Online Test wait screen
from J! Online Test wait screen
J test wait clip.gif (30.04 KiB) Viewed 4712 times
Doogie2K
Contributor

Post by Doogie2K »

Excellent. Thank you, both of you. :) The tip about taking a breather is one I hadn't considered, and while I'm not sure it would've helped me on this test - either I knew or I didn't, generally - on future tests it might be worth that extra question or two.
grannisu

Post by grannisu »

The biggest danger in hitting "submit" is that if you do it just as the question flips to the next, you will submit a blank answer on the next question. I had this happen last year and it cost me an answer on an easy question.
“You see, I don't belive that libraries should be drab places where people sit in silence, that has been the main reason for our policy of employing wild animals as librarians.” (Monty Python)
Jaksiel
Valued Contributor

Post by Jaksiel »

I find it interesting how many people were saying it got harder at the end, since when I just took it I started with only 19 out of the first 30 but got 18 of the last 20. In the interest of comparing the three tests, I went 42, 35, 37.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

grannisu wrote:The biggest danger in hitting "submit" is that if you do it just as the question flips to the next, you will submit a blank answer on the next question. I had this happen last year and it cost me an answer on an easy question.
I'm not saying this didn't happen last year, but I can say for a fact it was impossible this year; the Submit button was unclickable when the response field was empty.