FJs for the 1/7/13 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 1/7/13 week?

Poll ended at Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:53 pm

A bio from 1974, 26 years after his death, quotes him: "I swing big... I hit big or I miss big. I like to live as big as I can"
92%
Record holder for the longest time lived after leaving office
41%
These 2 world capitals are separated by only 250 miles of land & less than 1 degree of latitude, at 59 degrees 17' & 59 degrees 57' N.
36%
This term for a type of decision is from Old French for "to speak the truth"
55%
It's the world's longest river whose outflow is into an entirely inland body of water
41%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
8%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJs.
1%
HOLD THE FORT! $1600: Troops are both mobilized & demobilized at this fort about 15 miles southeast of Trenton
53%
IT'S MATTHEW PERRY $800: In July 1853 Matthew Perry became famous by sailing into a fortified harbor in this country
61%
SUPERSTARS OF SCIENCE $400: In the 1660s, with Cambridge closed by plague, he went home & started inventing calculus
84%
I missed the Wednesday FJ clue and that ended my streak of five or more FJ clues correct in a row.
10%
My miss for the Thursday FJ clue was voir dire.
15%

Total votes: 102

goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Re: FJs for the 1/7/13 week

Post by goforthetie »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

On Tuesday, my first instinct was Hoover, then I vaguely remembered that I may have heard that Carter passed him recently. Should have realized that that was exactly why Jeopardy was asking about this bit of trivia now, rather than dismissing it.

Thought about Scandinavian capitals first on Wednesday, then decided that there must be another TOM in there as well. Remembered that Seoul and Pyongyang had a famous line of latitude associated with them; I couldn't remember what it was, but felt sure that that must have been the TOM I was looking for, so I stuck with them.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

I went with the Missouri on Friday. I marked it as wrong here, but having reviewed Friday's transcript thread, I'm still not convinced it is wrong. --Bob
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Bob78164 wrote:I went with the Missouri on Friday. I marked it as wrong here, but having reviewed Friday's transcript thread, I'm still not convinced it is wrong. --Bob
As I said in the other thread, if the Mississippi River is entirely inland, you have a case. I don't think it is.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Oh boy. This was my worst week of FJs in quite some time.

I got Babe Ruth on Monday, but my answers for the rest of the week were:

Hoover, Stockholm & Helsinki, Voir Dire, Ural.

This was an especially annoying week because for three of those, I considered the correct answer before switching to something else.

On Tuesday, I thought "It's either Hoover or Carter." On Wednesday, I thought "It's two of Oslo, Stockholm, Helsinki." On Friday, I thought "It's either the Volga or the Ural."

I take some solace from the fact that those three FJs were triple stumpers.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

skullturf wrote:I take some solace from the fact that those three FJs were triple stumpers.
You can take even more solace from the fact all four of the ones you missed were triple stumpers:
MarkBarrett wrote:...
The players were 3/15 (20.00%) with a 3-0-0-0-0 success pattern.
OCSam
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

:D :( :D :D :D

:D :D :D

Boo, hiss. From somewhere in the memory banks came a recollection of reading that Hoover left office in 1933 and set that record by surviving until (I believe) 1964. I probably learned that before anyone outside of Plains had ever heard of Carter, and it just stuck there. If there was an announcement when Carter set the record, I must have been out getting a sandwich.

Apart from that glitch I would have had a superfecto week. Oh well.
Last edited by John Boy on Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
earendel

Post by earendel »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Best week in a long time. Ruth was a gimme, as was Carter. Toyed with Seoul and Pyongyang until I remembered Korea was divided by the 38th parallel (which, as it turns out, has nothing to do with the latitudes given - sometimes it's good to be lucky). Volga was also a gimme. I got verdict, but there was some discussion on the official J! board that "voir dire" might possibly be acceptable given that the clue was slightly misleading).
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

earendel wrote::mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Best week in a long time. Ruth was a gimme, as was Carter. Toyed with Seoul and Pyongyang until I remembered Korea was divided by the 38th parallel (which, as it turns out, has nothing to do with the latitudes given - sometimes it's good to be lucky).
I'm confused by this reasoning. It looks like you're saying that you dismissed the Koreas once you remembered that they were divided by the 38th parallel, which obviously places them far away from the 59 degrees N latitudes given in the clue. This seems perfectly reasonable to me, so what does the "good to be lucky" part mean?
earendel

Post by earendel »

jeff6286 wrote:
earendel wrote::mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Best week in a long time. Ruth was a gimme, as was Carter. Toyed with Seoul and Pyongyang until I remembered Korea was divided by the 38th parallel (which, as it turns out, has nothing to do with the latitudes given - sometimes it's good to be lucky).
I'm confused by this reasoning. It looks like you're saying that you dismissed the Koreas once you remembered that they were divided by the 38th parallel, which obviously places them far away from the 59 degrees N latitudes given in the clue. This seems perfectly reasonable to me, so what does the "good to be lucky" part mean?
Sorry for the confusion. I meant to say that my remembering that the Koreas were divided by the 38th parallel (thanks to innumerable reruns of M*A*S*H) was the lucky part - otherwise I would have put those down immediately (as one of the contestants did).
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(
:( :( :(
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :(

For the season:
FJ: 42-43
Extras: 26-28
Teacher's 6-4
Longest FJ winning streak: 7
Longest FJ losing streak: 6 (active 3)
5/5:0
4/5:3
3/5:6
2/5:4
1/5:4
0/5:0

Ruth and Carter were instagets. Might have gotten to Scandinavia with some thought, that ended five in a row for me. No chance on the other two.

A rare 3/3 week for me on the extras, so its not a total loss.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Copenhagen and Helsinki--right part of the world, anyway. Way off on the river.

I had to go back to the previous week's thread to discover that I had had the previous (exactly) 5 consecutive FJ's correct.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

bpmod wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:I went with the Missouri on Friday. I marked it as wrong here, but having reviewed Friday's transcript thread, I'm still not convinced it is wrong. --Bob
As I said in the other thread, if the Mississippi River is entirely inland, you have a case. I don't think it is.

Brian
Or as I stated simply, the waters of the Missouri wind up in an ocean. The waters of the Volga wind up in a lake, never getting to an ocean. Ergo, Missouri is wrong, Volga is right. QED.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian
Or as I stated simply, the waters of the Missouri wind up in an ocean. The waters of the Volga wind up in a lake, never getting to an ocean. Ergo, Missouri is wrong, Volga is right. QED.
Would, in your example, the Yellowstone river (a tributary of the Missouri) count as an answer to the final if we removed the qualifier 'longest'?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
billiej

Post by billiej »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :evil: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :evil: :mrgreen:

Stockholm/Helsinki. Glad to at least be in the right area.
kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves »

Volante wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Or as I stated simply, the waters of the Missouri wind up in an ocean. The waters of the Volga wind up in a lake, never getting to an ocean. Ergo, Missouri is wrong, Volga is right. QED.
Would, in your example, the Yellowstone river (a tributary of the Missouri) count as an answer to the final if we removed the qualifier 'longest'?
I would say no. Water from the Yellowstone still winds up in the ocean. Ultimate destination is the thing.

-a.