Monday, January 14, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, January 14, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6521, 2013-01-14

CONTESTANTS
Tim Courchaine, a fund administration manager from Everett, Massachusetts
Scott Mitchell, a technical project manager from New York, New York
Kristin Morgan, a strategic analyst for NASA from Huntsville, Alabama (whose 3-day cash winnings total $17,498)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome aboard. Kristin's total of close to $18,000 would be a lot higher if we hadn't had some killer Final Jeopardy!s last week. I hope this week turns out to be a little different for her and her challengers, Tim and Scott. Welcome aboard, gentlemen. Good luck to all three of you. Here comes the Jeopardy! Round. There's one Daily Double on the board in one of these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MUDDY WATERS (5/5)
DR. JOHN (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
BUDDY, GUY (5/5)
B.C. KING (5/5)
SINGING THE BLUES (4/5)
MY WOMAN IS GONE & MY WHISKEY RAN DRY (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kristin: 17 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Scott: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Tim: 6 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Kristin: $4,200
Tim: $2,600
Scott: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: As many of you know, in addition to hosting this program for the past 24 1/2 years, I have hosted the National Geographic Bee in Washington D.C., and Tim Courchaine was one of the kids competing in that competition--when?

Tim: 1997 and 1998.

Alex: I had my mustache.

Tim: You did. [Chuckles]

Alex: All right, and you were on crutches.

Tim: I was on crutches. I had a skiing accident.

Alex: How did you fare in that competition that year?

Tim: I did pretty well...

Alex: Okay, good for you.

Tim: ...all things considered.

Alex: Well, it's nice to have you with us today.

Tim: Thank you.

Alex: Scott Mitchell is a technical project manager from New York, and he reviews Off-Broadway shows--just as a hobby or do you get paid for this?

Scott: Nobody gets paid for it, but I [laughs] do--I publish at a website and--a website in England as well as one here in the states. So, I get a go-for-free, so that saves money.

Alex: Is Off-Broadway alive and well? Is it doing as well as the Broadway shows?

Scott: Yeah, it's doing great. It's doing great. It's very--it's very--it changes a lot. It's fast-paced. It's really, actually, doing really, really well. A lot of stuff has gone to Broadway from Off-Broadway.

Alex: Yeah, a lot of creativity from Off-Broadway.

Scott: A lot.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Kristin Morgan is our champion, waited a long time in Pushkin Square in Moscow. To do what?

Kristin: To eat a Big Mac.

[Laughter]

Alex: Of course.

Kristin: Yeah. So, we went there early, like pretty much six months after the first McDonald's had opened, and our friend from Siberia that was giving us a tour of the city said, "We must first go to McDonald's before we go anywhere else." So...

Alex: And was the food pretty much the same as what you expected?

Kristin: From what I can remember, yes.

Alex: Yeah? Okay, good.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kristin found the Daily Double on the 22nd clue. Kristin had $6,600, Scott had $1,200, and Tim was at $2,400. Kristin wagered $2,400.

DR. JOHN $1000: This Ph.D. in psychology wrote the seminal 1913 article "Psychology as the Behaviorist Views It"
(Kristen: Who is Pavlov?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SINGING THE BLUES $200: The delta blues went electric thanks to artists like Muddy Waters & Howlin' Wolf moving to this Midwest city
(Tim: What is Kansas City?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Kristin: $7,200
Tim: $3,800
Scott: $2,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, January 14, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
IMPEACHED! (4/5)
MIKE (5/5)
"QUE" TIPS (5/5) (Alex: Each correct response will end with Q-U-E.)
THE ACTOR'S RESUME (5/5)
ENGLISH LITERATURE (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SCIENCE 101 (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kristin: 11 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Scott: 7 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Tim: 9 R (including 1 DD), 4 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Tim snagged the next Daily Double on the 20th clue. Kristin had $11,200, Scott had $7,200, and Tim was at $7,400. Tim wagered $3,800.

SCIENCE 101 $1600: Pressure at sea level is called one this, about 101 kilopascals

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Kristin who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 25th clue. Kristin had $13,600, Scott had $9,200, and Tim was at $8,000. Kristin wagered $2,400.

ENGLISH LITERATURE $1200: Edward Bulwer-Lytton's 1834 novel set in 79 A.D. is titled "The Last Days of" this place

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SCIENCE 101 $800: Number 101 on your periodic table is named for this guy who created the table
(Kristen: Who is Mendelev?)
[Her response was initially judged correct, but was later reversed for an invalid pronunciation.]

IMPEACHED! $1200: Andrew Johnson won his Senate impeachment trial by a single vote; out of 54 cast, this many said "guilty"
(Tim: What is 25?)
(Kristin: What is 26?)
(Scott: What is ... 17?)

ENGLISH LITERATURE $2000: Richard Hughes' "A High Wind in" this place was published in the U.S. as "The Innocent Voyage"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Kristin: $21,600 (lock-tie game)
Scott: $10,800
Tim: $8,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COUNTRIES OF THE WORLD

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock-tie for first place; two-thirds for second place.
Kristin: Wager $0 to guarantee your return for the next game, or, if you'd rather lose today than face Scott tomorrow, wager $21,600 to maximize your winnings (or $5,599 to keep from dropping into third place).
Scott: Wager $10,800 and go after that tie!
Tim: Risk between $0 and $7,999, and you ought to advance to second place on the Triple Stumper Final.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
2 of the 3 countries that are completely encircled by one other country

FINAL SCORES
Tim: $8,000 + $7,999 = $15,999 (What are San Marino and the Vatican?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Scott: $10,800 + $10,800 = $21,600 (What are San Marino & Vatican City?) (New co-champion: $21,600)
Kristin: $21,600 + $0 = $21,600 (What is are Lesotho & San Marino) (4-day co-champion: $39,098)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $4,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Kristin: $22,800, 28 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Scott: $10,800, 12 R, 2 W
Tim: $5,800, 15 R (including 1 DD), 6 W
Combined Coryat: $39,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Kristin: 29/60 = .483
Tim: 16/59 = .271
Scott: 13/58 = .224
Team: 58/63 = .921

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
MUDDY WATERS $200: In Brazil, the sandy water of the Solimoes River flows side-by-side with the Rio Negro until they merge into this huge river

DR. JOHN $400: Virologist John Franklin Enders helped develop a vaccine for this disease also called rubeola
(Kristen: What are German measles?)

B.C. KING $200: Around 1000 B.C. he became the first king of Israel
(Tim: Who is David?)
(Scott: Who is Solomon?)

MIKE $400: The aggressive style of this late "60 Minutes" stalwart caused many interviewees to experience "Mike fright"
(Tim: Who is Mickey Rooney?)

MIKE $1600: (I'm columnist Clarence Page.) "Where do you get your ideas?" I asked this late, great Chicago columnist, who said ideas were everywhere--deciding which one to write about next was the tough part

MIKE $2000: Liz Taylor is seen with this producer-husband boarding the plane that would crash with him on it a month later

SCIENCE 101 $2000: In 1986 the 101-key IBM keyboard, which became the PC standard, moved these keys from the left to a line across the top
(Tim: What is QWERTY?)

THE ACTOR'S RESUME $1600: Selene in " underworld: awakening " , Sam's fiancee Alex in "Laurel Canyon"
(Tim: Who is Kate Beckinsdale?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Dr. John Watson
Chicago
atmosphere
Pompeii
Mendeleev
A High Wind in Jamaica
(two of) San Marino, Vatican City & Lesotho
the Amazon
measles
Saul
Mike Wallace
Mike Royko
Mike Todd
function keys
Kate Beckinsale
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

Spoiler
You'll once again be able to make an inference on the Show Guide This Week page of the Sony J! page(they still show last week's 20 second teaser, however)
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

legendneverdies wrote:
Spoiler
You'll once again be able to make an inference on the Show Guide This Week page of the Sony J! page(they still show last week's 20 second teaser, however)
I just checked J!'s site before coming here, and was surprised to still see myself on the promo. ETA all our howdies are still there when you click that link - even when you click on an individual contestant. I'm sure they will fix it soon, but I must say it was kind of fun seeing myself and the rest of the group one more time.

Katie and James were held over from my day of taping due to the tie. I'm looking forward to seeing how they did.
dippy
Valued Contributor

Post by dippy »

what does held over mean?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Countries of the World
2 of the 3 countries that are completely encircled by one other country.

Spoiler
What are [2 of] San Marino, Vatican City, and Lesotho? Tim and Scott both said San Marino and Vatican City; Kristin said Lesotho and San Marino.

Kristin Morgan: $21,600+$0=$21,600...now a 4-day [co-]champion with $39,098
Scott Mitchell: $10,800+$10,800=$21,600...now a 1-day [co-]champion with $21,600
Tim Courchaine: $8,000+$7,999=$15,999
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

dippy wrote:what does held over mean?
They tape two days a week (usually Tuesday and Wednesday) and typically invite more contestants to the first tape day than necessary (in case other people can't make it). If they don't get chosen to tape on the first day, they stick around and tape on the second day.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

After announcing the tie, the amount of $2,000 popped up on the third player's screen. Then, when they showed Alex shaking hands with the players, it showed $1,000. What's the deal?

Glad to see she knew how to play the lock-tie situation, even though Alex didn't specifically it was one.

Instaget FJ and could have named all three.
falsifieddocuments
Valued Contributor

Post by falsifieddocuments »

Bamaman wrote:After announcing the tie, the amount of $2,000 popped up on the third player's screen. Then, when they showed Alex shaking hands with the players, it showed $1,000. What's the deal?

Glad to see she knew how to play the lock-tie situation, even though Alex didn't specifically it was one.

The third guy came in third place, so he probably gets $1,000 and someone messed up.

I bet Kristin wished she could change her bet after she saw FJ. That's the instaget of all instagets. It's probably the first thing every trivia buff learns, probably before learning to walk.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

The champ looked much better tonight, like an actual 4 day champ. And best of all she didn't bet $5000 on FJ.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

That Chicago clue seemed a little tough at $200 in Blues. In the same category, how would we know that the guitarist was Clapton and not any of the other famous British guitarists?

"Familiar" is a noun too? News to me.

Hip was my only get in Dr. John. Didn't know that U of Penn was an Ivy League. Or for that matter, that Harvard, Princeton, and Yale aren't the only Ivy Leaguers.

I spaced out on Mike for $1600 and couldn't tell what they were asking.

Communiqué was my only miss in "Que" Tips, since I've never heard the word.

0/5 in BC King, Impeach, and Actors' Résumé.

Messed up Science badly. Clammed on fever and galaxy out of uncertainty, clammed on Mendeleyev out of fear of mispronunciation, had no idea on Atmosphere, and thought function keys were very overvalued.

Vatican + San Marino = easy. Good thing they didn't ask for all three, since I knew there was a country entirely surrounded by South Africa, but thought it was Rwanda and not Lesotho.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Surely this has be to the first time that a champion has ever had two ties in one run? Wow!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

falsifieddocuments wrote:The third guy came in third place, so he probably gets $1,000 and someone messed up.
They messed up with the $1000. It just wasn't as easy to edit a $2000 over the long shots, so they didn't bother. He gets the $2k.

I'm a little conflicted with the "Mendeleev" response. I suspect we all agree that they would have taken "Mendeleave" as a pronunciation, so it isn't just that she dropped a syllable. I'm guessing more that she made it a short-e instead of a long-e.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

falsifieddocuments wrote:
Bamaman wrote:After announcing the tie, the amount of $2,000 popped up on the third player's screen. Then, when they showed Alex shaking hands with the players, it showed $1,000. What's the deal?

The third guy came in third place, so he probably gets $1,000 and someone messed up.

I bet Kristin wished she could change her bet after she saw FJ. That's the instaget of all instagets. It's probably the first thing every trivia buff learns, probably before learning to walk.
Very true, which is why it was embarrassing on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire when it asked about Lesotho in that regard... for one million dollars.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

When I realized that she could double him up by sweeping the remaining clues, I was literally chanting "get them right champ! get them right champ!" at the TV screen. Then I was bracing myself for one of them to screw up the wager, but was quite pleased with the result. More ties!

Instaget (with Lesotho and Vatican), could've named all 3, blah blah.

ETA:
Austin Powers wrote: Very true, which is why it was embarrassing on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire when it asked about Lesotho in that regard... for one million dollars.
...are you serious!? Please tell me s/he got it right? Yikes. I wonder if he actually had to think about it, or whether it was just nerves clouding his mind.
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

heelsrule1988 wrote:Surely this has be to the first time that a champion has ever had two ties in one run? Wow!
Nope, that honor goes to Dane Garrett in Season 2 (1985-86), then Sara Cox in Season 7 (1990-91), then Dan Girard in Season 14 (1997-98). This makes Kristin the fourth known contestant to have this honor.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Playing along at home, I quickly wrote down "Vatican City and San Marino". Then, I had this nagging feeling -- what if San Marino is on the coast? So I crossed out San Marino and replaced it with Lesotho.

I was *pretty* sure that Lesotho is the one that's *completely* surrounded by South Africa, whereas Swaziland is merely *mostly* surrounded by South Africa.

Then, when it was revealed that Vatican & San Marino was correct, I briefly thought, "Uh oh, did I move *away* from a correct answer, just like I did THREE TIMES last week?"

Luckily for me, I had moved away from a correct answer, but toward another correct answer.
Golf

Post by Golf »

econgator wrote: They messed up with the $1000. It just wasn't as easy to edit a $2000 over the long shots, so they didn't bother. He gets the $2k.
True, just as the player from last Thursday got 2k. But it's odd that in this situation TPTB award 2nd place money to a 3rd place finisher.
ACW

Post by ACW »

I got Vatican; didn't know the other :oops:

Wait, so if it's a tie, the odd man out still only gets $1k, despite coming in second?
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

With four wins & $39,098, Kristin vaults into 12th place in the 2011-13 ToC standings.