Tuesday, February 19, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Golf »

"I used to teach that" needs to become TPH's new mantra.

I'd imagine Steph will tell us she thought she was toast upon seeing the FJ clue, and then did some serious celebrating. Pretty odd that 2 of the 3 didn't know the actual name of the statue.

Now that all the quarterfinal matches have aired, I sure don't understand the general vibe of wagering small in FJ by nearly all the contestants. The reason every one of them is there is because they initially knew more answers that the other players, and now they essentially wager scared? I just don't get it.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

The New 7 Wonders of the World
On the new list chosen in 2007, this wonder designed by Heitor da Silva Costa is the only statue.

Spoiler
What is Christ the Redeemer? Patrick said "The Christ in Rio de Janeiro"; Ashok said "The Statue of Mary in Brazil";

Dave Leach: $12,600+$2,400=$15,100...Automatic Semi-Finalist
Ashok Poozhikunnel: $12,400-$400=$12,000
Patrick Quinn: $5,000-$4,011=$899
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jasoni22
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Jasoni22 »

The idea behind wagering small is to improve your shot at a WC on a get while minimizing the damage on a miss. If you wager big and miss, you're toast. If you wager small and miss, then you still have a chance. So unless your get rate on FJs is very high, you're better off playing the odds and betting small when on the bubble. Will it backfire? It might, as it did for Monica, but I don't think any of us anticipated there being so many FJ gets during this first round.
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

Jasoni22 wrote:The idea behind wagering small is to improve your shot at a WC on a get while minimizing the damage on a miss. If you wager big and miss, you're toast. If you wager small and miss, then you still have a chance. So unless your get rate on FJs is very high, you're better off playing the odds and betting small when on the bubble. Will it backfire? It might, as it did for Monica, but I don't think any of us anticipated there being so many FJ gets during this first round.
Exactly, Jason. Welcome to the semis, Dr. Shore! :)
Golf

Post by Golf »

Dr. J wrote:
Jasoni22 wrote:The idea behind wagering small is to improve your shot at a WC on a get while minimizing the damage on a miss. If you wager big and miss, you're toast. If you wager small and miss, then you still have a chance. So unless your get rate on FJs is very high, you're better off playing the odds and betting small when on the bubble. Will it backfire? It might, as it did for Monica, but I don't think any of us anticipated there being so many FJ gets during this first round.
Exactly, Jason. Welcome to the semis, Dr. Shore! :)
First off, retro congrats to you both for making the semis.

However, I do not agree with the small-ball logic. If you answer FJ correct, you MAY make it to the semis. If you answer FJ incorrect, you MAY (less chance) make it to the semis. So FJ is somewhat irrelevant. If you're going to go small, simply wager nothing (as one of you did), otherwise you're simply throwing darts.

You are (forgive the oft-quoted line) the best of the best, you answer FJ's correctly in your sleep, you should expect to know most of them. Therefore take the guesswork out of play and if you're on the bubble either wager it all or wager nothing. Don't rely on what other players may or may not do. In other words, wager on your own abilities.

And yes, like others I believe the boards in the quarters were easier than in past ToC's. Therefore if the first 60 Q's were easier, doesn't it make sense that FJ would follow suit?

My two cents anyway.
Dr. J

Post by Dr. J »

Golf wrote:You are (forgive the oft-quoted line) the best of the best, you answer FJ's correctly in your sleep, you should expect to know most of them. Therefore take the guesswork out of play and if you're on the bubble either wager it all or wager nothing. Don't rely on what other players may or may not do. In other words, wager on your own abilities.
Which is exactly what I did. My stats on FJs going into the ToC? 3 out of 8. Hardly something to build my confidence. Studying previous ToC FJs didn't make me feel any more confident about it. I was way more sure I'd get it wrong than right. I'm no Roger Craig when it comes to believing in my own abilities, sadly! (I probably DO answer more FJs correctly in my sleep than awake, actually...)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Did Ashok already know before they announced the wild cards he was eliminated?
falsifieddocuments
Valued Contributor

Post by falsifieddocuments »

Bamaman wrote:Did Ashok already know before they announced the wild cards he was eliminated?
I don't think he would have. They don't let you watch the other QF games, so he wouldn't have known until Alex announced it.

Jason and Stephanie, did the producers let you watch all the semifinal games, or did they make a policy change after the teen tournament?

I'm assuming these were the highest-scoring QFs ever for a ToC, right? Although tonight's board was harder for me than the last four.

I also didn't know the name of the statue. At first I was thinking the Statue of Liberty, but that seems too old and the designer's name didn't sound French. So I thought about Latin America and quickly came up with "that giant Jesus statue on the mountain in Brazil." Judges?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

What I meant was, did he know he was out before Alex announced the wild cards. Did they tell him he was gone or did he just have to seat out the reading of the list.

FJ took me a bit. Statue of Liberty was my natural first thought, but that was made by a Frenchman. The name took me to South America and figured it out. And, no, they would not take "That big statue of Jesus".
Dr. J

Post by Dr. J »

Bamaman wrote:What I meant was, did he know he was out before Alex announced the wild cards. Did they tell him he was gone or did he just have to seat out the reading of the list.
I honestly don't remember! I feel like he was coming to sit by us in the audience and we told him? Or maybe we were just telling him the threshold amount (and how close he was!).
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Congrats to Steph, and whoop to Jason :) Going into FJ! I thought it would be close. I had no idea the name of the statue would be so difficult, was pretty sure of it and thought TOC level contestants would know it well.

Onward to the semis!
corvo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by corvo »

I'm shocked that the FJ wasn't a triple get. It seemed like a gift to the contestants.

And I loved Jason's reactions!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I didn't get Household Hints for $200 because I wasn't sure if they were going for fridge or freezer, but I can't believe neither was guessed after microwave (?!?) was negged.

I clammed on "Outsourcing" because I feel that's not really a BMS for "globalization". Maybe it's just me, but it seems that every time the BMS isn't just adding a word or prefix to what was already said, the contestants always seem to look on in confusion. And it's for that reason that I despise BMSes so much.

VGA was my only miss in Computer Lingo since I've never heard of it. I've only ever used all-in-one computers (e.g. the iMac) or laptops, so I've never had to deal with buying a monitor. Thus, monitor terminology is one of the few computer things that I don't have at least some knowledge of.

Who else clammed on "Dragon" since 5/6 of that word was in the clue?

Wait, there are new seven wonders of the world? I'm so not getting this right. Oh, the "new seven wonders" name only existed from 2001 to 2007. Such a contemporary clue… not.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Dr. J wrote:
Bamaman wrote:What I meant was, did he know he was out before Alex announced the wild cards. Did they tell him he was gone or did he just have to seat out the reading of the list.
I honestly don't remember! I feel like he was coming to sit by us in the audience and we told him? Or maybe we were just telling him the threshold amount (and how close he was!).
So that pretty much answers my question. I was wondering if those on stage can hear what we can see (the semi-finalists announcing themselves). From what you just said, that's a no.

FJ came to me after a few seconds (I called it Christ of the Andes and I'm counting it).

Oh, and "thermodynamics" is a "this", not a "these".
TenPoundHammer wrote:Who else clammed on "Dragon" since 5/6 of that word was in the clue?
It was a book about a dragon, what else could it be?
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Designer with Spanish Portuguese name (would've been interesting if they had named the sculptor instead) + statue + 'modern wonder' = Cristo Redentor, and I'm very surprised it wasn't a triple get. Oh well. Congrats on the wild card Steph (though once I read your posts after Wednesday's show, I assumed that you made it).

If they insist on inviting slow readers to do video categories, can't they at least make the clues shorter? Most of the clues are "blablablablablablablablablablablablabla blablablablablablablablablablablablablablablabla this molecule" anyway...
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

xxaaaxx wrote:Designer with Spanish name
Sounded more like a Portuguese name to me, although I don't actually know that without looking it up.

And of course, Portuguese names would be even more evidence that they're going for something in Brazil.

I'm sure many people watching at home were like, "You know, that big Jesus statue in Rio." Luckily, I knew the name "Christ the Redeemer", but I'm sure I knew about the statue before I knew exactly what it was called.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

"What is that statue of Jesus in Rio de Janeiro Brazil, called Christ the Redeemer?" Just wanted to cover my bases with that answer.

That $1000 clue, where Al Gore cites someone no one has heard of, discussing a vague concept correlated to a big word to make it sound impressive, is about the most Al Gore thing said, ever.

Little surprised at some of the misses, but still a pretty solid round for DJ. Shame that Patrick faded. I think "Your Highness" struck me as the most curious miss that DJ round.

I said "refrigerator" for the candle wax one, and I'm inclined to accept it, just because I betcha that trick works fine in the fridge.

I will say again: if you are a champ, go for it! If you are good, you have a better than even chance of locking a berth to the next round. I suspect some of the contestants have been 5-5 on this set of FJs. If everyone is betting to a figure around $12000, you're just chancing it that four folks don't wind up around $12600 and knock you out. With inflation, I expect everyone to bet to $13000 next TOC.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

skullturf wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:Designer with Spanish name
Sounded more like a Portuguese name to me, although I don't actually know that without looking it up.

And of course, Portuguese names would be even more evidence that they're going for something in Brazil.

I'm sure many people watching at home were like, "You know, that big Jesus statue in Rio." Luckily, I knew the name "Christ the Redeemer", but I'm sure I knew about the statue before I knew exactly what it was called.
"Heitor" especially. Think Heitor Villa-Lobos.