Wednesday, February 20, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by jeff6286 »

It was also very risky for Dave to bet to cover 3rd by a dollar in FJ. If Kristin hates the category, and doesn't want to risk nearly $18,000, she has a pretty viable option in betting to cover 3rd by $2, $5, $10, or any other number below $200. This puts her ahead of Dave's likely cover bet on a get, and most likely wins for her on a triple stumper. Now I don't know what the solution to that is for Dave, maybe bet to cover 3rd by some seemingly random number, like $17 or $153, in the hopes that Kristin doesn't sneak ahead of you.

As for the DD wager, it makes sense that he didn't want to fall behind 3rd, and I'm guessing he figured that with $800 and $2000 clues left on the board, either he or Kristin would get at least one of them, so the $200 behind probably wouldn't come into play. What he probably didn't anticipate was that Jason could get the $800 clue, and that the $2000 could be a toughie, so it might go unanswered.

Say he bets an extra $400, giving him a $200 lead entering FJ the way things played out. If he is wrong, the scores are Kristin $18000, Jason $9800, Dave $9400. If Kristin gets the $2000 clue, she has a lock game, which either Jason or Dave could break by getting the $800 clue. But this would be the case with Dave at $9800 or $9400, so the extra $400 doesn't really hurt him in this regard.

He probably figured that if he misses and drops into a tie with Jason, then one of them would likely get at least one of the final two clues, so they probably wouldn't finish tied, and the only way Kristin could lock them out would be to get the $2000 and have neither of them get the $800 (barring negs). It didn't seem like a terrible play at the time, as I figured either he or Kristin would get one of the last two clues, but when that final triple stumper's time ran out, I thought "Ouch Dave, tough way to finish." Congratulations Dave on a great run that came so close to making it all the way.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Congrats to Kristin on the win, and to Dave and Jason on a fantastic tournament!

As much as I was rooting for Dave, I really enjoyed watching Kristin. She was so calm and collected in both of her games. I am looking forward to watching her in the finals! And I felt kind of bad for Jason; it just didn't look like it was his game on the buzzer.

I am usually good at Literature but that Lit category in the J! round got the better of me, though I did get the Lach trash on "Owl Creek Bridge."

Dave did well to hunt that last DD. That was a scenario where I would have either bet $5 or wagered everything but about $200. With it being movies, I would have gone with the $5 wager and hoped for the best in FJ (and it would have been unfortunate for me. It's pretty rare that there is a clue on a movie that I have both seen and liked, but Shawshank is one of those). That is a really tough spot to be in, and I am guessing that Dave wanted to make sure he could avoid being locked out in FJ on the miss and just didn't do the math quite correctly when he was under pressure. I can't blame him; I think that it was an honest mistake.

This was yet another board that was very well written but probably too easy. The only triple stumper that really surprised me was "fiery furnace." Still, I'll take these good, easy boards over most of the ones that were used in the last 4 ToCs.

I also got FJ off the category, and remembering that Dave Brubeck died a few months ago made me more confident ofwhat was coming. I was expecting a tougher clue to go along with it, though. This one might have been guessable even if you had no idea there was a jazz song called "Take Five."

So far I would say that Kristin reminds me of Rachael Schwartz: you probably wouldn't have picked her to win the tournament from her performance in regular games, but she has proven that she play with the best of them.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I have never seen Judgement at Nuremburg, but for some odd reason, it seemed like that line fit and I definitely would have taken a stab at it if I was trailing.
RCraig
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by RCraig »

Congratulations to Kristin on making the finals! I know she had won when I saw her (and Dave) stop writing so soon after the music started. That exhale during the side to side pan gave it away too. Congrats to Dave and Jason for making it that far as well, it's not easy.

Btw, did anybody else notice how they revealed her bet amount before Alex was ready to talk about it?

Endgame DDs with a couple questions left are devilishly entertaining to watch. I wonder if Dave took longer than was shown to calculate this amount?
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Bamaman wrote:I have never seen Judgement at Nuremburg, but for some odd reason, it seemed like that line fit and I definitely would have taken a stab at it if I was trailing.
Same here: I said it at home, knowing it was Alex's favorite movie, but I messed up and said "Judgement of Nuremberg". Sigh.

Great game - congrats to Kristin on the well-earned win. She seems to be one of these players that improves with every game - I look forward to the final.

The questions seem relatively easy for a TOC, except for one category each day. Yesterday the Shakespearian wives category was really tough. Today the crossword clues "K" escalated pretty quickly, though the players did well. I pre-called the FJ. That question is just too easy and obvious for this level of competition. If the other semi-finalists were watching, they should take the cue and bet aggressively for their finals.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Include me among the list of folks puzzled by Dave's DD wager. In a Quarterfinal match where wild cards exist (or perhaps in the opening game of a Final match), prudence may very well be warranted. However, when you are playing very well against a tough opponent and you are nearing the end of the game and you plan to wager that big, why not go for the lead? I said to my wife after Dave got it right that if FJ is easy, he'll regret his DD wagering decision, regardless of all of the other rationales given here (fear of falling into third, fear of being locked out). Although I've never been on the show, I've always imagined that the most helpless feeling to have is to be so close to the lead going into FJ and then the clue is easy, giving you no chance. Clearly there are many instances when being in the lead going into FJ turns out to be a disadvantage because (for just about everyone) it makes you go with the traditional shut-out bet which leaves you open if you miss. However, I still think that being so close to the lead and then not having a chance in FJ because the clue is easy must feel worse. In any event, I thought that Dave should have gone for the lead that late in the game because a) he was playing well, b) Kristin was also playing well so it would behoove him to nose ahead of her going into FJ and c) the fear of an easy FJ if Dave was not in the lead when the game ended a couple of clues later. I seem to remember that the DD was in a category that Dave was confident in as well.

Bottom line: have confidence in your abilities and don't be afraid. That doesn't mean to make foolish decisions, but given a logical choice between being bold and being timid where the percentages solely depend on self-confidence, be bold.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

0/5 in Etiquette. Anyone think that the fork/knife clue was worded weird? I couldn't even figure out what they were asking on that one; it just wasn't parsing as a clue to me. It felt like words were missing.

Movies was my only other 0/5, surprisingly.

My surprise was Fiery Furnace being a TS.

Super-mega-ultra instaget for me. I had heard of the piece before, and tied it into Brubeck's recent death. Although I wonder if I'd still have gotten it if "time" weren't in the clue — seeing "time" instantly made me think "time signature" and thus "Take Five", which I know is in 5/4 time.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bamaman wrote:I'm guessing Dave bet what he did so not to fall into third place. If Jason had a lower score when Dave hits that DD, Dave wins the game.

I've heard of Take Five, but was never going to get that one.

Glad to see a Bama gal in the finals!!!!!
Yep! Hooray for Huntsville!

Precalled FJ, figured that's about as well-known a jazz tune there is. I've had the "Time Out" album in every format from LP forward (except for 8-track; we jumped straight to cassettes), so it's very familiar.
Bamaman wrote:I have never seen Judgement at Nuremburg, but for some odd reason, it seemed like that line fit and I definitely would have taken a stab at it if I was trailing.
I've seen it, though the first time I saw it was memorable for the wrong reason. I was in the hospital (Helen Keller, which Bamaman knows) with an extremely bad case mumps that led to meningitis. NBC aired it over two nights as a "Movie of the Week." I was having enough trouble keeping food down as it was, and finally managed to eat something solid - just in time for the "bodies film" sequence to air. Needless to say, it didn't stay down either!
Last edited by Spaceman Spiff on Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

marpocky wrote:I saw what Dave was doing with the DD bet. He didn't want to fall behind Jason on a miss, but with 3 (I think) clues left, betting for a slight lead may not have held up either. Try to account for the remaining money on the board, and Kristen locks him out on a miss.

Also, if FJ is hard enough, being $200 behind the leader with 3rd place at about 60% isn't a bad place to be. Make a small bet and he just needs Kristin to miss.

I agree with the wager and I think there were only two clues remaining(2000 and 800). If Dave got the DD wrong and Dave or Jason not getting any more clues with Kristin just getting one, she would have clinched it. I thought 4000 was the appropriate wager as it kept him in the game. Wagering to pass Kristin could does not do much just like going in for the tie.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Anyone think that the fork/knife clue was worded weird? I couldn't even figure out what they were asking on that one; it just wasn't parsing as a clue to me. It felt like words were missing.
I had a very similar reaction. I no longer remember the wording, but I remember thinking the clue gave off a vibe of "incompleteness" somehow.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

RCraig wrote:Congratulations to Kristin on making the finals! I know she had won when I saw her (and Dave) stop writing so soon after the music started. That exhale during the side to side pan gave it away too. Congrats to Dave and Jason for making it that far as well, it's not easy.

Btw, did anybody else notice how they revealed her bet amount before Alex was ready to talk about it?

Endgame DDs with a couple questions left are devilishly entertaining to watch. I wonder if Dave took longer than was shown to calculate this amount?
Something tells me that Alex knows the wagers prior to them being revealed. Otherwise, I saw no way his little quote would have applied or whether that was just a knock on Dave's "tentative DD wager".
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

TenPoundHammer wrote:0/5 in Etiquette. Anyone think that the fork/knife clue was worded weird? I couldn't even figure out what they were asking on that one; it just wasn't parsing as a clue to me. It felt like words were missing.
Yeah, that was a very strangely worded clue. I think I got the other 4, but I had no idea at all what they were going for on that one. Props to Kristin for deciphering it, although it even threw her off the first time, and she had to repeat in the form of a question.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

CyrusChan wrote:Something tells me that Alex knows the wagers prior to them being revealed.
Yes. I am pretty sure somebody confirmed that recently.
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Betcha that Fiery Furnace was a TS because the "alliterative" made folks think it was alliterative with the word before it. Still crazy to think that Meshach Taylor's not had a big role in years.
Jasoni22
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Jasoni22 »

CyrusChan wrote:
RCraig wrote:Congratulations to Kristin on making the finals! I know she had won when I saw her (and Dave) stop writing so soon after the music started. That exhale during the side to side pan gave it away too. Congrats to Dave and Jason for making it that far as well, it's not easy.

Something tells me that Alex knows the wagers prior to them being revealed. Otherwise, I saw no way his little quote would have applied or whether that was just a knock on Dave's "tentative DD wager".
Yep. Alex gets a card listing each contestant's pre-FJ score, wager, and what their final score would be on a miss and on a get.

It's the card on the right of his podium: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/23407466/20130116_163649.jpg
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I am alternating between being really happy for Kristin and kicking myself for not betting better in my game, because I am pretty certain I would have beat her had I won. Drat you, Jimmy Carter! :D
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Jasoni22 wrote:
CyrusChan wrote:

Yep. Alex gets a card listing each contestant's pre-FJ score, wager, and what their final score would be on a miss and on a get.

It's the card on the right of his podium: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/23407466/20130116_163649.jpg

Thanks for clarifying the point Jason. I definitely enjoyed the performances that you, Dave, and Kristin have done! Good luck with everything!
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

another really good game to watch. congrats to kristin on a well-deserved berth in the finals! she's been outstanding in her two games. and congrats to dave and jason. i can echo roger's sentiments about it not being easy to get there. but oh, it is a joy to watch top players duking it out on excellent material, and that's what we've been treated to every game of this tournament. it's been a delight.

i was wondering if jason showing up here on jboard right at the start of the ToC suggested that he had won the thing. ;) slam's law, and all that. i guess now we know the answer.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

falsifieddocuments wrote:Anyone else see the category and pre-call "Take Five" because it's the only classic jazz song you know?
No pre-call because I couldn't even think of a single jazz classic! But when the clue was revealed it was an instaget.
alietr wrote:I got some good Lach Trash (Risky Business and a coupla others), but otherwise I was just stumbling around on these boards for some reason.
Same here. Kiel Canal is one I recall.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I didn't care who won until the Back to the Future clue. Go Dave. Oh well, great job by Kristin to take the game. Yes, the pan of contestants during think time made it obvious Kristin felt comfortable with her response and wager.

I did not precall the correct response. Instead I expected "One O'Clock Jump" or "Take the 'A' Train." I had to convince myself I knew which was Duke and which was Count.

Switching to the correct response took less than five.

Tommorow is Colby, Stephanie, and Dan. T, 7, 4 or Silver, Gold, Gold or Win, Wild, Wild.

In the QF games Colby was a little bit better than I expected and Stephanie and Dan were a tiny bit under what I thought they would do. Stephanie was close to leading her game entering FJ, but Paul's 5000 DD wager ended her streak at 8. I'll say she gets back on track to have the lead before the 61st clue. Would she wager big like Kristin? I would hope so and that the previous 3/8 in regular play wouldn't matter.

After six FJ clues they seem to be on the easier side so far for the tourney. Where is something that will have all of us grumbling more? Not that my scoresheet doesn't mind. Colby at 2/4 and Dan at 2/5 have nothing special to show for FJ success as well. It would seem like it's about time tomorrow for the second or third place person entering FJ to take a match away.