2013-14 Tournament of Champions Standings

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

GoodStrategy
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: 2013-14 Tournament of Champions Standings

Post by GoodStrategy »

Like I said if the 2001 precedent still holds the 12 5+ game winners through Julia Collins and the three tournament winners in the queue will be the field for the next ToC regardless of when it's held (unless one of the regularly-scheduled contestants can't participate for whatever reason). The next 5+ game winner (chronological order) will be the alternate, and any other 5+ers in the meantime (including said alternate) will be invited to the ensuing ToC (like Alan Bailey and Mark Dawson in 2003). This will be the test to see if the protocol changed or not with sky's-the-limit (as mentioned before I think the language is in the paperwork to prevent TPTB from being bound to invite someone found to be in violation of the rules, a la Barbara Lowe or Jeff Kirby).
mrsal67
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mrsal67 »

If Molly does win 5 or more games, wouldn't it be best to have the 2014 college champion hold over for the next tournament since there is already the 2013 college champion?
GoodStrategy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by GoodStrategy »

mrsal67 wrote:If Molly does win 5 or more games, wouldn't it be best to have the 2014 college champion hold over for the next tournament since there is already the 2013 college champion?
I don't think they treat eligible tournament winners differently than other ToC qualifiers in a case like this - another example is the 2010 ToC which had three college champions (due to Joey Beachum being unable to participate in 2009 for military reasons, and the other two regularly scheduled ones); some thought that they might hold one of them over for reasons like you suggested but they didn't. (And if they decided to hold over the 2014 winner this time the ToC after that would then have two (with next season's winner). When the overflow-holdover precedent was first tested in 2001 some thought that the Teen winner from that cycle was not invited for similar reasons, but it turned out that it was a permanent change to stop inviting the Teen winners to the ToC.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

There's an interview in the August 2014 issue of Chicago magazine with Julia Collins in which interviewer Jesse Will refers to Julia competing in the ToC "that will air next year." Does this mean that the next ToC will air in 2015? That Julia will compete in the 2015 ToC instead of the 2014 ToC? That the interviewer is in error? Is anyone able to shed light on this?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Carpe Diem wrote:There's an interview in the August 2014 issue of Chicago magazine with Julia Collins in which interviewer Jesse Will refers to Julia competing in the ToC "that will air next year." Does this mean that the next ToC will air in 2015? That Julia will compete in the 2015 ToC instead of the 2014 ToC? That the interviewer is in error? Is anyone able to shed light on this?
"Next year" could simply refer to "next season".

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Mathew5000
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Mathew5000 »

bpmod wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:There's an interview in the August 2014 issue of Chicago magazine with Julia Collins in which interviewer Jesse Will refers to Julia competing in the ToC "that will air next year." Does this mean that the next ToC will air in 2015? That Julia will compete in the 2015 ToC instead of the 2014 ToC? That the interviewer is in error? Is anyone able to shed light on this?
"Next year" could simply refer to "next season".
I think it's likely a mistake by the interviewer; he probably intended to say "next season".

That said, it would be really cool if they postponed the ToC to February 2015 and then ran it as a megatournament with 24 contestants.
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

Heck, I don't see what's wrong with doing 18 contestants (should another 5-day champion pop-up), airing the quarterfinals starting a Friday early, and then having just three wild cards. Trebek might not want to do six in a day (which would be necessary to avoid wild card status reports), but I think he'd get over it.

Also, why doesn't the Teen Champion get an invite anymore? I realize this is old news, but I have only ever heard it acknowledged that it stopped, never a reason.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 »

We haven't gotten much information yet, but the TOC will be taping the week of September 29. (Everyone else is being kind of tight-lipped about this but I asked Maggie if there were restrictions on who I could tell and she said "nope", so I guess it's okay!)
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

sarah0114 wrote:We haven't gotten much information yet, but the TOC will be taping the week of September 29. (Everyone else is being kind of tight-lipped about this but I asked Maggie if there were restrictions on who I could tell and she said "nope", so I guess it's okay!)
Great to hear! Best of luck to you!
UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

Speculative spoiler below, not based on any particular information other than speculation.
Spoiler
What I assume this means is that Sarah either made it or is the alternate, meaning there's only two people between now and the cutoff date whenever that may be. If this is true, congrats to Sarah for making it, had to be scary waiting I imagine.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

<iframe src="https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzJUVd1 ... zg/preview" width="640" height="480"></iframe>

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzJUVd ... sp=sharing

I made a spreadsheet with stats for the TOC field. I think I was able to upload it to Google Docs successfully. I tried getting links with the sharing option. Do either of these work? Is there a way to put the grid in a post like the scoring updates for the World Cup TD?

Thanks
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

It says I need your permission.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

UniquePerspective wrote:It says I need your permission.
I tried to find a public setting. Did it work? Thanks for responding.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

It worked. I was able to both view and download the spreadsheet, without having a Google account.
sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 »

UniquePerspective wrote:Speculative spoiler below, not based on any particular information other than speculation.
Spoiler
What I assume this means is that Sarah either made it or is the alternate, meaning there's only two people between now and the cutoff date whenever that may be. If this is true, congrats to Sarah for making it, had to be scary waiting I imagine.
Spoiler
I hope I wasn't giving anything away by posting this! My understanding is that the Teen Tournament starts next week and marks the end of season 30, so there's no room for anyone else to go on a 5+ run before the season ends. I'm assuming that's the cutoff, since season 31 started taping this week.
I appreciated the long runs that Arthur, Sandie and Julia had, because it prevented other people from getting 5+ and knocking me out!
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

Well, now that Sarah's let the cat out of the bag... yep, the field has been closed and I am PSYCHED UP OMG. I cannot WAIT to meet y'all!

And she was not the only one happy that Julia and Arthur eliminated so many potential threats.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

Congrats to all who made the cut -- it's going to be one hell of a TOC!! Good luck boning up and remember to have fun, no matter what ;)
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

Rooting for Arthur, expecting Ben to win. Expecting those two in the final, along with either Jerry or Jared. Sandie I expect to do the best of the women, and has an outside chance of making the final.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

RKane wrote:Rooting for Arthur, expecting Ben to win. Expecting those two in the final, along with either Jerry or Jared. Sandie I expect to do the best of the women, and has an outside chance of making the final.
That's five names without mentioning Andrew Moore. Did you see his games?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Just because they said it will tape on September 29 doesn't mean the current field is locked. They could have just given it to the players so they could save the date and any future five timers could bump someone.