Sad News about a Past Champion

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Sad News about a Past Champion

Post by StevenH »

Mark Brown, who was a five time champion in the 19th season and semifinalist in the 2003 ToC, passed away on January 23, 2013.

This comes as very sad news to me because Mark was one of the first contestants who I ever talked to outside of the message boards. When the UToC's field was announced I posted on the message board that I thought that Mark would have had an outside shot of going far in it and he was one of the five time champions who I was most disappointed not to see make it into the field. He sent me an email thanking me for the kind words and told me that he had also given himself an "outside chance" in the tournament. I didn't know him outside of the message boards and that one email exchange, but he always seemed like a truly nice guy who had nothing but positive things to say about his experience on Jeopardy!

I know that this is belated but I want to extend my thoughts and prayers to his family members and friends.
thenextofken
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Sad News about a Past Champion

Post by thenextofken »

That is truly heartbreaking to hear. He wasn't very old either (either 48 or 49).
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

He was involved in the Watson sparring sessions, on the same day as Dave Abbott, Kevin Marshall, and Jason Zollinger.

http://jeopardy19toc.tripod.com/brown.htm Not even 50. Way too young. His kid(s) too. My condolences to those that need them.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Thank you for posting, Steven. It's sad and tragic news, but I appreciate knowing. I believe I saw 48 on his Facebook page.
sherder
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sherder »

Mark sent me some very kind words while my father was very ill this past fall. He is missed.