Wednesday, April 24, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Wednesday, April 24, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante »

cinemaniax7 wrote:
BADuBois wrote:And FJ was an Instaget for two reasons: 1. Remember reading about this particular practice years and years ago and 2. This practice plays an integral role in the plot of my novel SIX DAYS (*cough-cough* blatant self-promotion *cough-cough*)
Seems to me I first read about the practice in a Tom Clancy novel back in the '90s.
Debt of Honor probably (although it's not *quite* the same, based on the refresher I got, but the theory is close enough.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

ChemTeacher wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Thank you Alex for having "endothermic" in the clue, since I don't know the difference between it and "exothermic", and was debating back and forth until that point (and wasn't going to ring in until I was sure.
Actually, I wish he had simply stopped at "Greek for outside and heat." That was enough for me. When he actually said "opposite of endotherm" I felt like the clue dropped down to kids week level.
I thought so too.

FJ was an instaget. Nice performance by the new champion.
The category Radio, Radio reminded me of a song by Brooke White. Who? An alum of American Idol. Yeah, I was the one who bought the album. Anyway in checking my facts I came across someone else with a song "Radio, Radio." Name the artist.
Spoiler
Elvis Costello
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Anyone else miss out on a possible 30/30 J round due to time running out? No clams till the DJ round, when the "Show Within the Show" cat ate my lunch. Several nice TS guesses (so easy from the couch) hit -- WNYC, Henry VII, 13th Night and Athens -- plus a few I knew: that wretched Reddy song, the MH girls and epinephrine. Clammed on easy, "Waltzing Matilda" and Russia, and made the same Leblanc mistake as Christina.
lisa0012 wrote:Thanks to my local station for warning us that tomorrow's J! will be moved to another station due to coverage of the opening of the Bush Presidential Library.
What's it gonna stock: comic books? (Was gonna ask if they'd all be upside down, but I just learned that the classroom picture I've seen is faked.) Regardless, he's not known as much of a reader. His governor's office was devoid of books, and Brendan Gill of The New Yorker recalled finding but a single title (which I'll spare you) on a shelf in the Bushes' Kennebunkport summer home.
skullturf wrote:--I also had never previously heard of the "Taming of the Chew" book (I really don't think the writers expected us to) but I managed to put it together in time.
Did you manage to spit it out?

Poll idea: I knew the names of both Hemingway sisters.

Andy looked very strong -- I would not be surprised to see him a few more times. Maybe my fearsome retro-jinxing power works only on 4xers...
In and out of the pool four times
hawkwild

Post by hawkwild »

marpocky wrote:
Count me in with the former champ who thought her name was Muriel Hemingway.
I actually have to tell you, I knew it was wrong the moment it left my mouth--that is should have been Mariel. There's actually an edit there, because Alex mistakenly accepted it, but judges heard what I actually said (and I 'fessed up when they asked). That's why no one else gave the obvious answer...the question had been thrown out.

Next time, I'm going with "Margaux." ;)
Jasoni22
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Jasoni22 »

After Bush was asked what others thought about his recently revealed painting hobby (IMO, they're not bad, especially for a beginner), he said, "People are surprised. Of course, some people are surprised I can even read." And Laura once joked, "I was the librarian who spent 12 hours a day in the library - yet, somehow, I met George." They both have great senses of humor :)
hawkwild

Post by hawkwild »

ChemTeacher wrote: And it seemed like Alex ignored the fun facts that were on Bill's card and decided to ask him about the best time to tip the concierge.
Yup.
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

ChemTeacher wrote:That was a rather ho-hum interview segment tonight.

I wonder what Christina's other two stories were. I can just imagine the look on Robert James' face when he wrote down "I waited in line to buy a PS2" on Christina's card. Besides the obvious plug for Sony, does this make for a good story?

Andy's interview wasn't too bad, but after he talked about his Stewart Copeland interview, all Alex could say was something like, "a one-hour interview...that is a long time..."

And it seemed like Alex ignored the fun facts that were on Bill's card and decided to ask him about the best time to tip the concierge.

Maybe contestants need to listen to this again:
http://www.npr.org/2011/06/26/137429737 ... n-jeopardy
Thanks for posting this link. It's very informative and interesting,(as two others I recall you posted; 1776 clip & "Court Jester"). I/We actually enjoy the interview portion which I think AT uses at times for his own benefit. As mentioned the contestants only have a short time to be themselves and that is what we want to see, not AT or HIS experiences.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

MarkBarrett wrote:I said the Hemingway name like Marielle instead of Mariel and gave myself credit. If it was on the show I don't know if I would have distinguished the difference enough to be caught. It would have been easier to go for Margaux.
Is there anything to be "caught" there? Putting an emphasis on the wrong syllable - I assume that's what you're getting at with that spelling - would not be counted wrong. Or did you pronounce an "e" at the end?
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

NYCScribbler wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:There was a bit of an audio glitch on my DVR during the $800 clue in "THE MIDDLE IS 'OK'". Did they ask for what you would like to do the woman pictured, and the contestant responded "What is choke her?" Violence against women is not a trivial matter and should not be reduced to such on a show like Jeopardy! If I heard that correctly, I am NEVER WATCHING AGAIN!
Not sure if pulling leg, but if not:

They were asking what she was wearing around her neck, which was a choker.
It was a reference to a boarder who has made (non-(wooden)-leg-pulling) posts like that before.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote:On $800, what was the TOM favoring Ann Arbor over Lansing?
Yes. Ann Arbor is a college town and Lansing is not. East Lansing is not Lansing. As someone who grew up in Lansing I can assure you of this fact! EL would have been an OK guess, but Ann Arbor was a better one. :)

I was rolling along nicely getting many triple stumpers (Henry VII and 13th Night I recall) and then went to pieces for FJ. This is the second time in three days I had the right answer and crossed it out in favor of the wrong answer (the other one was Linda Hamilton instead of Sigourney Weaver). Last night I put the Presidential Inauguration. Not really sure what I was thinking other than I couldn't recall seeing all the cabinet members present at the State of the Union Address. Obviously Obama has only had two inaugurations, but I wasn't sure all three of those people served under him.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Last night I put the Presidential Inauguration. Not really sure what I was thinking other than I couldn't recall seeing all the cabinet members present at the State of the Union Address. Obviously Obama has only had two inaugurations, but I wasn't sure all three of those people served under him.
The biggest hint would be Alberto Gonzales (possibly others, but I know that one offhand) wasn't in office during an inauguration.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

jeff6286 wrote:The U.S. Government
Donna Shalala, Alberto Gonzales & Tom Vilsack have each served as the "Designated Survivor" skipping this event.
Is that also known as "Laura Roslin"?

On my show, I talk to contestants as well. The craziest story was the guy who had been married and divorced twice and he was only 22. And he hadn't given up on getting married again. I guess it isn't that weird, but I did ask him more than once beforehand if that was really what he wanted to talk about on television. When we get desperate, I just ask the contestants what their favorite movie is.

Does anyone else guess which clues TPH will complain about? I thought it would be the on WNYC. "Why should anyone outside New York City know the call letter of a New York radio station?" Props to TPH for the non-complaint.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

BADuBois wrote:
Just the other day the Associated Press Twitter account was hacked and issued a false statement that the White House had been bombed and Obama had been injured... within seconds the U.S. stock market took a *serious* dive, which, ahem, probably doesn't show too much confidence in a Biden presidency... :)
I doubt that had as much to do with Biden as it did with the nature of the market, which seems to react like a maniac to every rumor, hiccup, and event of minor importance as if it were Armageddon. I've often said if I had a friend who reacted to everything the way the stock market does, I'd work to get him committed.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

silverscreentest wrote:Does anyone else guess which clues TPH will complain about? I thought it would be the on WNYC. "Why should anyone outside New York City know the call letter of a New York radio station?" Props to TPH for the non-complaint.
I guessed WNBC on that one. I was thinking of the scene from the movie "Private Parts." :)

And I think being divorced twice by 22 is definitely on the weird side...
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

davey wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:I said the Hemingway name like Marielle instead of Mariel and gave myself credit. If it was on the show I don't know if I would have distinguished the difference enough to be caught. It would have been easier to go for Margaux.
Is there anything to be "caught" there? Putting an emphasis on the wrong syllable - I assume that's what you're getting at with that spelling - would not be counted wrong. Or did you pronounce an "e" at the end?
I'd think he's referring to changing the emphasis (last syllable, as opposed to the first), but I agree they wouldn't neg it.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote:I guessed WNBC on that one.
I went with WABC.
Patronaut
One-Day Jeopardy Champ 3/26/2013

Post by Patronaut »

econgator wrote:
I went with WABC.
I thought WABC as well.
"Physics is to mathematics as sex is to masturbation." - Richard Feynman.
kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves »

Patronaut wrote:
econgator wrote:
I went with WABC.
I thought WABC as well.
+1.
davey

Post by davey »

silverscreentest wrote:
Does anyone else guess which clues TPH will complain about? I thought it would be the on WNYC. "Why should anyone outside New York City know the call letter of a New York radio station?" Props to TPH for the non-complaint.
I was surprised that a concierge from New York didn't get that one, and a person of a certain age, who might have an appreciation for the sweet old standards that Jonathan Schwartz plays. His father was the great Broadway and Hollywood composer Arthur Schwartz, who wrote the song "That's Entertainment!" WNYC is a great - and historic - public radio station - the one LaGuardia read the funnies on, when it was owned by the city. I think their current slogan - Never turn it off - is a bit obnoxious, though.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Shows you how current I am with New York radio -- I answered WNEW, even though I knew the call letters had been transferred to a station in DC.