for Survivor talk

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

for Survivor talk

Post by Paucle »

just to save the other folder from being too badly hijacked- Mark, Lisa, et al, any thoughts on the finale?

After tribal, I expected the winner but
Spoiler
never thought it'd be unanimous!
The one thing in the entire season I thought was handled badly was the week the "three amigos" had all that immunity and ousted Phillip.
They were almost certain the vote was going to be 3-4 against them. A better tactic would've been to stay quiet, let the vote go on, and they split their three votes 1-1-1 (Philip, whoever and whoever, probably Phillip's presumptive final 3). Then reveal they were all immune before the count, forcing the seven to vote one of their own with no advance discussion. The amigos could then attack Phillip en masse, and unless the other 4 all voted for the same non-Phillip person, he'd be gone anyway. But this "stealth" way shakes things up a bit more, and gives the amigos more cracks to wedge their fingers into.
lisa0012
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: for Survivor talk

Post by lisa0012 »

Thank you :D I nearly hijacked the Friday thread again.

I was very happy with the results. That final tribal was pretty brutal against the other two. One got laughed at and the other got beaten up. I really didn't need to see the teeth.

You're right, the Phillip move may not have been perfect, but it sure was fun.

My mom and I assume the theme for fall has to do with relatives. Please please please don't let there be another Hantz. (also, did you notice they never once mentioned him?)
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

lisa0012 wrote:Thank you :D I nearly hijacked the Friday thread again.

I was very happy with the results. That final tribal was pretty brutal against the other two. One got laughed at and the other got beaten up. I really didn't need to see the teeth.

My mom and I assume the theme for fall has to do with relatives. Please please please don't let there be another Hantz. (also, did you notice they never once mentioned him?)
Logging in for the first time since Tuesday. I thought it was cool to watch Cochran essentially narrate his own victory. I was catching up with last week's J! episodes a few clues at a time during the Survivor commercials--did a double-take when the Caramoan clue came up.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

They have whole forums for this elsewhere, you know.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Vanya wrote:They have whole forums for this elsewhere, you know.
Cluttered with people who complain about the fact the show even exists, or the thread exists, and I figured we could avoid that here.
But, guess not!
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

lisa0012 wrote:My mom and I assume the theme for fall has to do with relatives.
Then what do they do on "relatives visit" week? Strangers visit? ("Lisa, here's a video from three people who have never been in your kitchen...")
Seriously, you could be on to something.

But how fun would it be if the survivors were on one island, all challenges on another, and when a gong sounded you had 20 minutes to get to the challenge island across a narrow, shallow channel (chest-high walkable in low tide) that's full of chum? When even attempting to get immunity entails danger, now we're talking interesting!
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I used to like Cockring but a whole season of him? Enough already. So if twerp got a unanimous vote, who gets the $100K second place prize.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

lisa0012 wrote:Thank you :D I nearly hijacked the Friday thread again.

"Blood and Water- Survivor:Diving With the Kardashians"
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I'm conflicted. Part of me loves having a Survivor thread here and part of me feels guilty for it being on the J! Board. How about the fans have their say Sunday night and Monday, then the thread dies? Thank you non viewers for the tolerance and patience.

The victory was earned and deserved. It is never a sure thing what the jury will do. Tonight they got it right.

For the second place prize I would guess $100K + $85K = 185 divided by 2 for 92.5 each?

The teeth? You're welcome:

The extra $100,000 was a surprise only in that Brenda kept it close.

Rudy is 85? He looks more like low 70s. Richard Hatch? Some people never change.

Blood vs. Water? If it is relatives/families then the set up could be four sets of five family members each to begin with like season 13 with the four races. Even I agree, please, no Hantz. It would be different although The Amazing Race tried it once. Only once.

Jeff Probst does a great job with the reunion show and there was never a need for Regis or Rosie to do it in the early seasons.

Yes, I watched the tribal councils tonight while sitting on my game used authentic tribal council stump signed by Jeff Probst.
Agggron
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Agggron »

That was an interesting finale, haha. I did think Cochran deserved the victory because he literally never had a vote cast against him up until that point in the game, which shows how smooth his game was the whole time. Dawn and Sherri totally got roasted in FTC, though - a lot of it was funny to watch IMO. Sherri getting ignored the whole time and then yelling at Erik was hilarious. The Dawn/Brenda situation at FTC I thought was a fitting end to the storyline - Brenda had the right to be bitter, and even though I'm hearing a lot of casuals say that asking Dawn to pull out her teeth was 'dehumanizing', I thought as a revenge blow it was fine. They're both on even ground now, so it was fine for me that the 'apologies' at the reunion seemed minimum. Thanks MarkBarrett for the vidcap. >:D

The reunion though kinda sucked. First of all, half the cast wasn't even there... according to Twitter all the pre-jury members were sitting in the audience for the first time ever. And despite half of the cast missing from the stage, Jeff still didn't get to talk to most of the ones that were ON the stage - I seriously don't think Sherri, who made it 39 days, send a word. Plus Eddie, Erik, Michael all getting snubbed. In exchange we got mentions from Rich, Rudy, Boston Rob, random tweets, and random studio audience members. Can't they at least try to even things out? It just seemed like awkward closure to not even mention 10+ people.

Overall the finale was enjoyable. Still loved the Rites of Passage, as usual. Hopefully Jeff is lying when he says he's trying to remove that portion.

I've spoiled myself onto the cast list for 27. Well, a lot of the cast is still in limbo considering filming hasn't started/is just starting, but w/e. All I'll say is that I'm excited for the next season! :)
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

MarkBarrett wrote:Jeff Probst does a great job with the reunion show and there was never a need for Regis or Rosie to do it in the early seasons.
Minor correction: It was actually Bryant Gumbel who hosted the reunion shows for the first three seasons (Summer 2000, Spring 2001, and Fall 2001). Rosie O'Donnell did host the season four reunion (Spring 2002). Jeff Probst himself also hosted the reunion shows starting in season five (Fall 2002).

Now, as for the finale itself, I knew Cochran was going to have the win in the bag once he won the last immunity challenge and got everyone to eliminate Eddie after that.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Agggron wrote:That was an interesting finale, haha. I did think Cochran deserved the victory because he literally never had a vote cast against him up until that point in the game, which shows how smooth his game was the whole time. Dawn and Sherri totally got roasted in FTC, though - a lot of it was funny to watch IMO. Sherri getting ignored the whole time and then yelling at Erik was hilarious. The Dawn/Brenda situation at FTC I thought was a fitting end to the storyline - Brenda had the right to be bitter, and even though I'm hearing a lot of casuals say that asking Dawn to pull out her teeth was 'dehumanizing', I thought as a revenge blow it was fine. They're both on even ground now, so it was fine for me that the 'apologies' at the reunion seemed minimum. Thanks MarkBarrett for the vidcap. >:D

The reunion though kinda sucked. First of all, half the cast wasn't even there... according to Twitter all the pre-jury members were sitting in the audience for the first time ever. And despite half of the cast missing from the stage, Jeff still didn't get to talk to most of the ones that were ON the stage - I seriously don't think Sherri, who made it 39 days, send a word. Plus Eddie, Erik, Michael all getting snubbed. In exchange we got mentions from Rich, Rudy, Boston Rob, random tweets, and random studio audience members. Can't they at least try to even things out? It just seemed like awkward closure to not even mention 10+ people.

Overall the finale was enjoyable. Still loved the Rites of Passage, as usual. Hopefully Jeff is lying when he says he's trying to remove that portion.

I've spoiled myself onto the cast list for 27. Well, a lot of the cast is still in limbo considering filming hasn't started/is just starting, but w/e. All I'll say is that I'm excited for the next season! :)
Agreed about the reunion. I saw the non-jury in the audience. There were plenty of people I wanted to hear from that never talked.

Where did you get your spoilers??
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Jeff Probst does a great job with the reunion show and there was never a need for Regis or Rosie to do it in the early seasons.
Minor correction: It was actually Bryant Gumbel who hosted the reunion shows for the first three seasons (Summer 2000, Spring 2001, and Fall 2001). Rosie O'Donnell did host the season four reunion (Spring 2002). Jeff Probst himself also hosted the reunion shows starting in season five (Fall 2002).

Now, as for the finale itself, I knew Cochran was going to have the win in the bag once he won the last immunity challenge and got everyone to eliminate Eddie after that.
As I was falling asleep it hit me that Regis did one of those Apprentice finales and not Survivor. Yes, Bryant Gumbel was other guy before Jeff.

One of my favorite things about the finale is the ritual of rites of passage/fallen heroes - whatever it is called. When some seasons did not have it I was disappointed. Jeff/CBS would be wrong to eliminate it.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

Agggron wrote:The Dawn/Brenda situation at FTC I thought was a fitting end to the storyline - Brenda had the right to be bitter, and even though I'm hearing a lot of casuals say that asking Dawn to pull out her teeth was 'dehumanizing', I thought as a revenge blow it was fine. They're both on even ground now, so it was fine for me that the 'apologies' at the reunion seemed minimum. Thanks MarkBarrett for the vidcap. >:D
I followed the thread of her logic though, and didn't see it as revenge. Brenda literally saved Dawn's game, or at least so said Dawn at that time. Brenda wanted to see if it was true or not. If Dawn refused to take her teeth out, Brenda was probably right in assuming that Dawn was lying when she backpedaled about quitting if she had lost them. She wanted her to (literally) put her money where her mouth was.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Agggron wrote: The reunion though kinda sucked. First of all, half the cast wasn't even there... according to Twitter all the pre-jury members were sitting in the audience for the first time ever. And despite half of the cast missing from the stage, Jeff still didn't get to talk to most of the ones that were ON the stage - I seriously don't think Sherri, who made it 39 days, send a word. Plus Eddie, Erik, Michael all getting snubbed. In exchange we got mentions from Rich, Rudy, Boston Rob, random tweets, and random studio audience members. Can't they at least try to even things out? It just seemed like awkward closure to not even mention 10+ people.
This is basically how the reunion show always is, except with the pre-jury members actually sitting with the rest of the cast. The biggest problem with the reunion show is that it's more commercials than actual show. But I was surprised that they didn't at least ask Francesca and Corinne a few questions.

I don't understand all the Malcolm love. I like him, but I don't see anything special about his game play. Making a 3 or 4 person alliance in the middle of a game was not the best move. You can't count on being able to do what Yul did in the Cook islands or what Russell did in Samoa.

I agree that Cochran was the right person to win in the finals here. I have to wonder if Eddie could have beat him, but I hope not, since Eddie really didn't do much of anything the entire season.

If you Google around you can find partial spoilers for the season 27 cast. I kind of think they need to stop having returning players for at least a few seasons. Yeah, One World and Nicaragua were both awful, but I feel like South Pacific and especially Redemption Island had good sets of new players who could have created their own memorable seasons.

And props to Paucle for starting this thread! This board could use more off topic threads, as long as they're not about Politics.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Survivorsucks.com has plenty of spoilers.

Yes, no politics threads or Vanya will get audited!
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

I sat there during the final tribal and tried to come up with a reason anyone would vote for the other two and couldn't come up with one. That was played as perfectly as a final tribal can be played. My running joke with my wife and one of my friends is that my goal of going on Jeopardy! was to win enough games to get famous enough that I could go on Survivor. So to have a nerdy uber-fan win (though I think I'd be a little more physical than him) and to win as deservedly as anyone ever has was quite a treat, even if the first half of the season was nearly unwatchable.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Cochran has his first writing job lined up: Recaps for Big Brother on EW.com
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Paucle wrote:
After tribal, I expected the winner but
Spoiler
never thought it'd be unanimous!
I precalled the unanimous vote.

How many sucksters do we have here anyway? Anyone care to reveal their nics?
tjconn728

Post by tjconn728 »

My first thought about the "Blood vs. Water" for next season is that every member of each tribe will have a family member on the opposing tribe. Seems like it could be an interesting twist to strategies and alliances.