Wednesday, May 15, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6608, 2013-05-15

2013 College Championship semifinal game 3.

CONTESTANTS
Julia Sprangers, a junior at University of Wisconsin-Madison from Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Jim Coury, a sophomore from Georgetown University from Olmsted Falls, Ohio
Nishanth Uli, a sophomore from Washington University in St. Louis from Solon, Ohio

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Ladies and gentlemen, this is the third and last of our semifinal matches. So far, the semifinals have belonged to the tech schools, right? M.I.T., Georgia Tech --Kristen and Trevor awaiting the winner of this match today. Nishanth, Jim, and Julia, welcome back. Good luck. Here we go. Jeopardy! Round. And the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
"YO" LO (5/5)
POLITICAL QUOTES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
REALITY SHOW TITLES (5/5)
COLLEGE ACTIVITIES (4/5)
POCKET CHANGE (5/5)
SOWETO (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jim: 15 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Nishanth: 8 R, 1 W
Julia: 6 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jim found the Daily Double on the 8th clue. Nishanth had $1,400, Jim had $1,000, and Julia was at $1,200. Jim made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,000.

POLITICAL QUOTES $600: De Gaulle warned JFK that America would step "into a bottomless military and political quagmire" in this place

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jim: $5,600
Nishanth: $1,600
Julia: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Julia Sprangers is not only bright, she's athletic, also. She's on the school's swim team, right?

Julia: Well, I was in swimming throughout my high-school and elementary-school years.

Alex: Yeah, so you were probably the smartest one on the team, but you were also known as...

Julia: Well, one day at swim practice, we had a competition to see who could be the slowest swimmer on the swim team, and...

Alex: You won that?

Julia: I won that by a landslide, yeah.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay. Good to know.

Alex: Jim Coury from Olmsted Falls, Ohio. She mentioned high school. In high school, you were on the quiz bowl team.

Jim: Yes.

Alex: Your teacher came to the quarterfinals. Is he here today to cheer you on?

Jim: Yeah, she's here.

Alex: She's here?

Jim: Yeah, my teacher from back in Ohio, Mrs. Smith, who taught me everything I know, I guess. And she's the reason I'm here. She came out to support me.

Alex: And what kind of advice did she give you about this competition?

Jim: Just to believe in myself.

Alex: All right, that's a good place to start.

Alex: Now we come to Nishanth Uli from Solon, Ohio. You do community service in St. Louis, am I right?

Nishanth: Yeah, actually...

Alex: Your fraternity?

Nishanth: ...my fraternity, Beta Theta Pi, has an annual fundraiser for an inner-city school in St. Louis called KIPP. And every year, the school puts on a carnival. And we fundraise during the carnival, and I think we're approaching $10,000 that we're gonna raise for the school this year.

Alex: Very impressive. Well done, young man.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
COLLEGE ACTIVITIES $1000: "Naked Spaces: Architecture in Art from the Kinsey Institute Collection" was at this Midwestern school in 2013

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jim: $9,600
Nishanth: $5,000
Julia: $2,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NOVELLAS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TECHIE DROPOUTS (5/5)
STUFF ABOUT STATES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LIVE ENTERTAINMENT (5/5)
SCIENCE GUYS (4/5)
3 CONSECUTIVE LETTERS (3/5) (Alex: Each correct response will contain [*] of the alphabet.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Nishanth: 12 R, 2 W
Jim: 8 R (including 2 rebounds and 2 DDs), 1 W
Julia: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jim snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Nishanth had $4,600, Jim had $10,800, and Julia was at $3,000. Jim wagered $7,200.

STUFF ABOUT STATES $1600: Of the 4 states officially called commonwealths, its alphabetically last
(Alex: We've got Kentucky, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and [*]. You are right.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Jim who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 18th clue. Nishanth had $9,400, Jim had $19,200, and Julia was at $5,400. Jim wagered $9,800.

NOVELLAS $1600: A prototype of the form, this Boccaccio work deals with 10 people who each tell a story a day

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
3 CONSECUTIVE LETTERS $1600: An '80s arcade space game, or a football player such as a linebacker or safety

3 CONSECUTIVE LETTERS $2000: Tranquility
(Nishanth: What is peace?)

SCIENCE GUYS $1600: This originator of the quantum theory had the middle names Karl Ernst Ludwig

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jim: $32,600 (lock game)
Nishanth: $15,800
Julia: $9,000

PREFINAL REMARKS
(After the Jeopardy! Round, Sarah Whitcomb Foss of the Clue Crew delivers a Footnote from the Hector Pieterson Museum in Soweto, South Africa.) The Hector Pieterson Memorial recognizes the sacrifice of Hector and hundreds of other children, who took the fight against apartheid into their own hands on June 16, 1976, by nonviolently marching for justice. South Africa and the world would never be the same again.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FAMOUS EUROPEANS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; crush for second place.
Jim: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $999 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Nishanth: Wager $2,201 to cover Julia.
Julia: You have the hope of surpassing Nishanth for second place if you come up with the correct response or if your opponent fails to. Bet between $4,600 and $8,998.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
After moving to Argentina in 1949, this industrialist was named a righteous gentile by Yad Vashem

FINAL SCORES
Julia: $9,000 - $8,000 = $1,000 (Who is Himmler?) (3rd place)
Nishanth: $15,800 + $15,800 = $31,600 (Who is Oskar Schindler?) (2nd place)
Jim: $32,600 + $4 = $32,604 (Who is Schindler) (Finalist)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jim: $18,400, 23 R (including 3 DDs), 1 W
Nishanth: $15,800, 20 R, 3 W
Julia: $9,000, 13 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $43,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Jim: 24/61 = .393
Nishanth: 21/58 = .362
Julia: 13/58 = .224
Team: 58/63 = .921

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
SOWETO $200: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from Soweto, South Africa.) The epicenter of South Africa's long struggle for equality, Soweto takes its name from the first two letters of these three words--its location and designation within Johannesburg
(Nishanth: What is south west?)
(Alex: We need a little more than that.)
(Nishanth: What is south western?)

SOWETO $400: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from Johannesburg, South Africa.) The four-room matchbox houses that make up much of Soweto were originally built to house black workers cheaply during the years of this official policy of ethnic segregation

SOWETO $600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from Soweto, South Africa.) Bringing Soweto to the world's attention, a march beginning here at Naledi High School was one of the dramatic moments in the 1976 protests against the forced teaching of this language

SOWETO $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from Soweto, South Africa.) With marks of government gunfire to show for it, this house of worship was a center for anti-apartheid gatherings--it's called Regina Mundi, or this "of the World" and Soweto in particular

SOWETO $1000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from Soweto, South Africa.) This house on Vilakazi Street belongs to this South African--the first black dean of St. Mary's Cathedral in Johannesburg is just one of his distinctions

STUFF ABOUT STATES $1200: This Rhode Island city is home to the U.S. Naval War College & the Tennis Hall of Fame
(Nishanth: What is Providence?)

LIVE ENTERTAINMENT $800: Barclays Center in this New York City borough opened in 2012 with eight straight sellout shows by borough native Jay-Z

3 CONSECUTIVE LETTERS $400: Numero uno, ordinally
(Jim: What is one?)

SCIENCE GUYS $800: He wrote that in 1666, "I began to think of gravity extending to the orb of the moon"
(Julia: Who is Galileo?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Vietnam
Indiana University
Virginia
Decameron
a Defender
calmness
Max Planck
Oskar Schindler
South West Township
apartheid
Afrikaans
Queen
(Desmond) Tutu
Newport
Brooklyn
first
Newton
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Famous Europeans
After moving to Argentina in 1949, this industrialist was named a righteous Gentile by Yad Vashem.

Spoiler
Who is Oskar Schindler? Julia said Himmler

Jim Coury: $32,600+$4=$32,604
Nishanth Uli: $15,800+$15,800=$31,600
Julia Sprangers: $9,000+$8,000=$17,000
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu May 16, 2013 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Really nice to see a player who knows how to take proper advantage of the DD's, a deserving finalist.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Points against Nisanth (?) for not saying "Yoda who is?" in the "Yo"lo category.

I'd be willing to make it a True Daily Double that the young lady's (sorry, forgot her name) FJ! answer is still better that TPH's, because at least she put something down.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I ran "Yo" Lo but got only one other right in the whole J! round ($200 in Reality Show).

Political Quotes and College went completely over my head.

What obvious pointer to "Yale" was I missing on College for $200?

Clammed on apartheid, queen, and Tutu in Soweto. No way was I getting South West Township, since I wasn't aware townships existed outside the US.

So that's what Coachella means. Somehow, despite being reasonably fluent in Spanish from many angles (four years of HS Spanish, a Peruvian friend, and a Colombian exchange student), there are some words that I just never learned. "Shell" is one. Others include "doughnut", "otter", "stage", and "jeopardy". And I was just in the Coachella Valley in February, too!

Not even a guess on FJ! I didn't realize Schindler was an industrialist. All I knew was "something about saving Jews".
Jasoni22
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Jasoni22 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:What obvious pointer to "Yale" was I missing on College for $200?

Not even a guess on FJ! I didn't realize Schindler was an industrialist. All I knew was "something about saving Jews".
They mentioned New Haven in the clue. That's where Yale is.

And I guess you've never seen Schindler's List. You should.

Himmler???? Oy vey.
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

Somewhere, thousands of Badgers facepalmed without knowing why.

Even if reading through Wikipedia articles on the Righteous Among the Nations wasn't one of my favorite ways to regain faith in humanity, that was a pretty straightforward FJ!.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
Cortana431
Valued Contributor

Post by Cortana431 »

Instaget FJ. Champ deserved to win with those DD wagers and gets.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

O M G!!! Don't they have any researchers on this show?

Awesome use of the Daily Doubles BTW.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
ACW

Post by ACW »

Himmler? :oops: :oops: :oops: Wow, that's worse than Hindenburg.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

A meh game, in my opinion... swept the historical quotes and I was *very* impressed with Jim in the middle who obviously lives by the phrase "go big or go home" --- those were *serious* Daily Doubles and he's definitely got brass ones. Good luck to him in the Finals.

FJ was an Instaget. And maybe I'm old and cranky today ("You kids get off my lawn!"), or maybe because I know a lot about World War II and lost an uncle in combat in France in 1944, but I didn't find Julia's FJ answer particularly humorous or in good taste.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

ACW wrote:Himmler? :oops: :oops: :oops: Wow, that's worse than Hindenburg.
Yeah, Himmler's List was a different deal.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

I think if I gave an answer like that Himmler one, I'd just not tell people about my appearance on the show. Wow.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

BADuBois wrote:FJ was an Instaget. And maybe I'm old and cranky today ("You kids get off my lawn!"), or maybe because I know a lot about World War II and lost an uncle in combat in France in 1944, but I didn't find Julia's FJ answer particularly humorous or in good taste.
I didn't get the impression it was an intentional joke, so much as she realized how badly she misinterpreted the question and instinctively laughed. Alex's comment didn't help though.
ACW

Post by ACW »

BADuBois wrote:A meh game, in my opinion... swept the historical quotes and I was *very* impressed with Jim in the middle who obviously lives by the phrase "go big or go home" --- those were *serious* Daily Doubles and he's definitely got brass ones. Good luck to him in the Finals.

FJ was an Instaget. And maybe I'm old and cranky today ("You kids get off my lawn!"), or maybe because I know a lot about World War II and lost an uncle in combat in France in 1944, but I didn't find Julia's FJ answer particularly humorous or in good taste.
I'm Jewish and 29; I didn't find it funny either :roll:
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

marpocky wrote:
BADuBois wrote:FJ was an Instaget. And maybe I'm old and cranky today ("You kids get off my lawn!"), or maybe because I know a lot about World War II and lost an uncle in combat in France in 1944, but I didn't find Julia's FJ answer particularly humorous or in good taste.
I didn't get the impression it was an intentional joke, so much as she realized how badly she misinterpreted the question and instinctively laughed. Alex's comment didn't help though.
That was my impression too.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

I didn't see malice in the answer; just a lot of cluelessness, which is almost always more common.
ACW

Post by ACW »

Austin Powers wrote:I didn't see malice in the answer; just a lot of cluelessness, which is almost always more common.
Possible, but still... :oops:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

And I didn't get the joke, since that was the first I'd heard of Himmler.