Tuesday, May 21, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by legendneverdies »

NBC is doing an hour nightly news tonight for expanded Oklahoma tornado coverage. J! being seen at 7PM on the East COast on an NBC station means a preemption. Not sure if CBS and ABC are doing hour nightly news tonight or not.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Instaget for me on FJ.

I know Verne was French, but I've never thought of this as a French novel, because the action begins and ends in London. I wonder if that is what confused the contestants.

Speaking of transportation, that was a long way for Sarah to travel to answer us about parallel lines.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:Instaget for me on FJ.

I know Verne was French, but I've never thought of this as a French novel, because the action begins and ends in London. I wonder if that is what confused the contestants.

Speaking of transportation, that was a long way for Sarah to travel to answer us about parallel lines.
It's what confused me, it was between that or Murder on the Orient Express, and was pretty sure both were by English authors. Came up with Around the World about 20 seconds in, so stuck with the first. For some reason, after seeing the new champ's response, despite nothing having transpired thus far that would make me change my mind, it was just seeing her response that let me knew I picked the wrong one.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

No J! here this morning, between continued Oklahoma coverage and our own weather watches.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

Tour du Monde en Qatre-Vingts Jours.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

NBC and ABC both did hour long nightly news tonight, CBS did on some stations but went to local programming on mine.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

"see how well you did with the Geographic Bee material? Well done!' I was half expecting him to walk over and pat them on the head. Sheesh.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Didn't realize "spark plug" could be a person.

What was the TOM for Urban Lit for $200? I saw nothing pointing to NYC at all.

Pneumonia was my only miss in Silent P. For some reason, I kept thinking polio even though I knew it was wrong, but just couldn't get off that word.

Amazingly, Magic Mike was my only miss in Movie Name Droppers.

0/5 in Men at Work and Urban Lit.

====

Mendacity and Electra Complex kept me at 4/5 in their categories. NHO either one.

Precalled Shania Twain in 10 Million Selling Albums. Figured either she or Garth would have to be in there.

Should've gone 5/5 in Stagecoach, but I locked up on Buffalo Bill and clammed on the bottom two.

==

I knew I was dead in the water as soon as the FJ! category came up. I couldn't think of a single famous work of French literature.

Wouldn't have guessed that Jules Verne is a French name, either, since all of the letters in it are pronounced exactly as you'd think.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:What was the TOM for Urban Lit for $200? I saw nothing pointing to NYC at all.
Brownstones
Wouldn't have guessed that Jules Verne is a French name, either, since all of the letters in it are pronounced exactly as you'd think.
Not quite. His first name is pronounced more like "zhool".

Battle of Stalingrad was '42-'43, so not that great of a guess, really.

And I'm surprised FJ wasn't a triple-get.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Bamaman wrote:Speaking of transportation, that was a long way for Sarah to travel to answer us about parallel lines.
When the clue came up, I immediately blurted out 'parallel', briefly wondering if they'd insult us by having it be "optical illusion", then waited impatiently for her to get to the point. Blahblahblah.

Instaget FJ. I wasn't 100% confident, though I'm not sure why not, 'transportation' + the year should've made it a gimme.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

French Literature
An article about improvements in transportation, including the opening of the Suez Canal, inspired this 1873 novel.

Spoiler
What is Around the World in 80 Days? Nate said Thais; Paul said Les Miserables.

Paul Curcio: $19,000-$6,497=$12,503
Nate Mull: $12,600-$6,000=$6,600
Rachel Eastwood: $10,700+$9,300=$20,000...now a 1-day champion with $20,000
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue May 21, 2013 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:What was the TOM for Urban Lit for $200? I saw nothing pointing to NYC at all.
Brownstones
First I'd heard of them.
billiej

Post by billiej »

That threw me for a few seconds, too. Precalled Verne upon seeing the category. Saw transportation and immediately thought of Around the World...., then second guessed myself. But, couldn't come up with anything better so I stuck with it.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Near for me; it's certainly nothing I knew, but it was pretty quickly sussed by clue context. Had it before Alex finished reading it.
econgator wrote:Battle of Stalingrad was '42-'43, so not that great of a guess, really.
No kidding. Not to mention, anyone who's seen The Battle of the Bulge at least once (which should be, like, everyone!) should realize its proximity to Christmas! :o
Now, someone help me roll these fuel drums down the hill...
Jaksiel
Valued Contributor

Post by Jaksiel »

I did not expect Jeopardy! to get pre-empted for tornado coverage in New Hampshire...but, here we are.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I got FJ, but it was similar to the May 13th Mars one for me.

I started to write down "20,000 Leagues", but then quickly changed to "Around the World in 80 Days", finishing writing in time.

A small part of me was worried that maybe 80 days was a British author, rather than Verne, but I still thought it "felt right".

My weirdest neg of the night: I said "El Niña" rather than "La Niña". (I grew up in Canada and don't speak much Spanish, so using the correct article isn't automatic for me.)

Actually, would that be a neg on the show? I'm fine with it being one, but I know that they do have a history of being lenient about leading articles in English. That may or may not carry over into things imported from non-English languages.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

As with many other loyal fans tonight, CBS News pre-empted our show here in the Boston area.

FJ this morning from the NYT was an Instaget; during my earlier geek SF years (as opposed to the current geek SF years) I actually read a fair number of Verne novels. Not in the original French, of course.
Paucle wrote: No kidding. Not to mention, anyone who's seen The Battle of the Bulge at least once (which should be, like, everyone!) should realize its proximity to Christmas! :o
A cool action movie for sure, but probably one of the most inaccurate WWII films ever made: the flatlands of Spain filling in for the Ardennes Forest, for example... :D
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Paucle wrote:No kidding. Not to mention, anyone who's seen The Battle of the Bulge at least once (which should be, like, everyone!) should realize its proximity to Christmas! :o
Or Band of Brothers. Bastogne was a huge part of that.