Thursday, May 30, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, May 30, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Austin Powers »

Bamaman wrote:
nserven wrote: I remembered this FJ as well, which actually made me hesitate for a second:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3628
And that game also had a clue about the Hitler wedding!!!!
Well no wonder this episode was so well written - the current staff didn't write it!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Elm was my only miss in Trees. What was the TOM there for Elm, anyway?

Got only $200 in the Johnny Gilbert category. I knew the Montoya clue because the title character of the comic Nemi whom I find kinda hot is named Nemi Montoya as a shout-out, but just couldn't pull the film's name.

0/5 in Books on TV and Napoleon.

Alphabetically First was really mean IMO to put "first of the zodiac signs" at $400. It was way, way, way too easy to say Aries since it's only one letter after Aquarius.

That "Barnes dance" clue was very stupid.

FJ! was frustrating. I've seen that quote in Uncle John's Bathroom Reader but could NOT put a name to it. Even "rocket" didn't trigger anything. I don't think I've seen that guy's name since I last read that quote ages ago.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote:
Jasoni22 wrote: I think he could be called both German and American.
So could Einstein.
Why, so could I, or so could any man....
larkin1734
Contributor

Post by larkin1734 »

The game hasn't aired here yet, but I thought I'd chime in now. If I'd were sitting at home, I'd love this FJ. It's exactly the type of clue I like.

Before Alex was done reading the clue, I knew it had to be von Braun ... or the other guy. I forgot the category for a second, but I regained focus and kept trying to think of the American name in rocketry. I spent the next 30+ seconds blanking on the name. Every time I tried to pull Goddard, "von Braun" kept floating through my mind. It was like one of those scrolling scoreboards you see at the bottom of the tv screen during baseball games or the giant news headlines outside the Good Morning America studio in Times Square. Except mine kept scrolling "VON BRAUN" in all caps and wouldn't stop. I couldn't shut it off. All the while, the 30 second clock counted down. I knew Oppenheimer was wrong, but I didn't want to leave it blank. I figured Sam would bet as he did, so I resigned myself to a loss whether or not he was correct. At least, I got that part right.
Case
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Case »

This was a brilliant game. So many great players end up in second and third; I forget that, sometimes. A game like this one makes me realize I'm in damned good company (and no, I don't count myself as a great player ;) ).

Shocked that Goddard was an instaget for me. Maybe I picked up the info from just living near JSC my entire life. :lol:
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

larkin1734 wrote: I figured Sam would bet as he did, so I resigned myself to a loss whether or not he was correct. At least, I got that part right.
A lot of people make inoptimal wagers from second place, as some on this board will tell you. Didn't happen tonight, however.
larkin1734
Contributor

Post by larkin1734 »

As long as I'm here before the game is archived, I'll take a stab at the game stats. I've always wondered how self-aware I'd be if I got on the show, so here are my guesses. I think I'm reasonably close for my stats, less so for the combined stats. Feel free to mock me later.

Me: 17000 Coryat; 21 R, 2 W, 1 rebound; .390 BA
All three players: 39000 Coryat; 52 R, 6 W, 1 rebound; .825 TBA
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

Great game, Les! Sorry it didn't work out, but you made a good showing. Some nice gets and a good DD wager. Very frustrating when a mental block prevents you from recalling a name you know. Really not much else you could have done as you made the logical FJ wager.

By the way, was there an edit during your interview? It seemed like Alex moved on to the next interview somewhat abruptly.

ETA: Just watched it again. It was a quick transition, but I may have imagined the edit.
Last edited by BigDaddyJ on Thu May 30, 2013 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I wrote down "Von Braun" at home, although I wasn't sure he was American. (He did become American later in life.)
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

I thought of von Braun during FJ but wondered whether they would put him in the same game as Eva Braun.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

BigDaddyJ wrote:Great game, Les! Sorry it didn't work out, but you made a good showing. Some nice gets and a good DD wager. Very frustrating when a mental block prevents you from recalling a name you know. Really not much else you could have done as you made the logical FJ wager.

By the way, was there an edit during your interview? It seemed like Alex moved on to the next interview somewhat abruptly.

ETA: Just watched it again. It was a quick transition, but I may have imagined the edit.
Funny I got 28 right in DJ, and I'm as smart as Tenpoundhammer some would say :)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

silverscreentest wrote:Did you know Eva Braun and Adolf Hitler have the same wedding anniversary as Kate Middleton and Prince William?
I share a wedding anniversary with Charles and Di! (As well as Jennifer Anniston and Brad Pitt, the same year and date for that one!)
jeff6286 wrote:
silverscreentest wrote:
Bamaman wrote:And that game also had a clue about the Hitler wedding!!!!
Did you know Eva Braun and Adolf Hitler have the same wedding anniversary as Kate Middleton and Prince William?
How dare you mention those two couples in the same sentence? Prince William has absolutely nothing in common with that monster Hitler. I'll be anxiously awaiting your formal letter of apology.
He was probably thinking of Harry ...
larkin1734 wrote:The game hasn't aired here yet, but I thought I'd chime in now. If I'd were sitting at home, I'd love this FJ. It's exactly the type of clue I like.

Before Alex was done reading the clue, I knew it had to be von Braun ... or the other guy. I forgot the category for a second, but I regained focus and kept trying to think of the American name in rocketry. I spent the next 30+ seconds blanking on the name. Every time I tried to pull Goddard, "von Braun" kept floating through my mind. It was like one of those scrolling scoreboards you see at the bottom of the tv screen during baseball games or the giant news headlines outside the Good Morning America studio in Times Square. Except mine kept scrolling "VON BRAUN" in all caps and wouldn't stop. I couldn't shut it off. All the while, the 30 second clock counted down. I knew Oppenheimer was wrong, but I didn't want to leave it blank. I figured Sam would bet as he did, so I resigned myself to a loss whether or not he was correct. At least, I got that part right.
It's nice to know I had a very similar thought process to one of the contestants (and a boardie! Didn't know one of us was on today!)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

econgator wrote:
Golf wrote:These FJ puzzle type clues are fun, not much way to outright know the answer but easy to ration out. Why would they retract in July 1969, what was going on? Obviously the moon landing. Rockets is Pavlov for Goddard and 1920 fits. Can't wait to see if people think this is unfair like Peck, knowing dates is so important.
*nod* I got it immediately off the date, but spent the next 29 seconds wondering if it were some other physicist they were looking for.
Instaget for me, but remember my screenname is as much for my advocation with rockets and spaceflight as it is for Calvin and Hobbes.

(Yes, I am a rocket scientist -- NAR #27382)

The July 1969 date pointed to Apollo 11, and the NY Times ripping of "Looney Goddard" in the 1920s (pre-Aunt Effie's cabbage patch) is pretty well known. Mind you, I never knew they apologized (and, given that Dr. Goddard had died 24 years prior, it was kind of moot). But the clue definitely pointed to Goddard, and I didn't even bother thinking where else to look.
RCraig
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by RCraig »

larkin1734 wrote:As long as I'm here before the game is archived, I'll take a stab at the game stats. I've always wondered how self-aware I'd be if I got on the show, so here are my guesses. I think I'm reasonably close for my stats, less so for the combined stats. Feel free to mock me later.

Me: 17000 Coryat; 21 R, 2 W, 1 rebound; .390 BA
All three players: 39000 Coryat; 52 R, 6 W, 1 rebound; .825 TBA
Why would we mock you? You played great! This was a great game all around, and I only wish I could've telepathically sent you Goddard...
Great get on Chesterfield too!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Les: As the game played out I was wondering if Taxi Driver/Goodfellas or Christie/Miss Marple errors would cost you. You fought through those setbacks to still have the lead entering FJ with the help of a healthy DD wager. That was great all of us screaming, "Abigail" made its way back to you.

Many players who had the potential to go on extended runs have been derailed in game one. It stinks that fate had to fall on you. Many of us here who know you outside the forum are fully aware of your playing skills and how much you know.

Thank you for your explanation of what happened during think time. To know the name and not be able to bring it up is nightmarish in that situation.

I always thought it was cool that Major Don West on Lost in Space was played by Mark Goddard and I have used the similarity in names to help me recall or Robert or Mark when the name comes up in trivia things.

My fingers are crossed there is nothing Goddard on the WQC on Saturday or your yell will frighten everyone in the room.

Sam has overcome some very capable opponents to get the two-peat. In an alternate universe a key point goes differently last night and Les would be playing tomorrow. Alas.

I have the combined Coryat at 43,400 (16,000 + 17,000 + 10,400)
Leaper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Leaper »

"That Professor Goddard, with his 'chair' in Clark College and the countenancing of the Smithsonian Institution, does not know the relation of action to reaction, and of the need to have something better than a vacuum against which to react - to say that would be absurd." - New York Times (proud sponsor of Jeopardy!), 1/13/20
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

My junior to be son was assigned two books to read over the summer. They were The Great Gatsby (which makes no mention of war or fiddle-dee-dee) and Their Eyes were watching God. He already had a copy of Gatsby, but I had to order the other one on line. I had heard of it, but all I knew was that it was about black people.

Anyway, it arrived in the mail today (before seeing the show) and I saw the name of the author and also a note on the book urging me to watch the Oprah Winfrey production based on the book. So that strange twist of fate earned me some imaginary money today.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I'm surprised we didn't even get an LTaM in DJ!, what with all the times Les forgot to call out another clue after giving a correct response. I swear, he stood silent for three seconds after EVERY clue he rang in on.
UBCivan
Contributor

Post by UBCivan »

Another surprising TS. But great writing (plagiarizing?) on the clue writers' part.

"[J]ust as in the sciences we have learned that we are too ignorant to safely pronounce anything impossible, so for the individual, since we cannot know just what are his limitations, we can hardly say with certainty that anything is necessarily within or beyond his grasp. Each must remember that no one can predict to what heights of wealth, fame, or usefulness he may rise until he has honestly endeavored, and he should derive courage from the fact that all sciences have been, at some time, in the same condition as he, and that it has often proved true that the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow." - Robert Goddard

These words (hastily stolen from Wikipedia) will forever haunt me. Exceptional man.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I'm surprised we didn't even get an LTaM in DJ!, what with all the times Les forgot to call out another clue after giving a correct response. I swear, he stood silent for three seconds after EVERY clue he rang in on.

We saw all 61 clues, so you're wrong. Don't be an ass and don't exaggerate.