Calling All TOCers Class of 1998

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Calling All TOCers Class of 1998

Post by MarkBarrett »

I sorted this group by success in the TOC.

Dan Melia (5 wins) $75,600 (finals winner)
Kim Worth (4) $64,000 (finals 2nd)
Bob Harris (5) $58,000 (finals 3rd)
Grace Veach (5) $51,600 (semis)
Lyn Payne (4) $55,002 (semis)
Claudia Perry (4) $45,902 (semis)
Fred Ramen (5) $61,000 (semis)
Peter Scott (4) $44,803 (semis)
Sahir Islam (T) $26,300 (semis)
Arthur Phillips (5) $63,003 (quarters)
Josh Den Hartog (T) $25,000 (quarters)
Wes Ulm (5) $63,201 (quarters)
Craig Barker (C) $25,000 (quarters)
Paul Gutowski (5) $51,301 (quarters)
Pam Mifflin (3) $42,300 (quarters)

Gold chances for the 45: Dan Melia, Bob Harris and Grace Veach

Silver chances for the 45: Lyn Payne

Bronze chances for the 45: Kim Worth, Fred Ramen, Arthur Phillips and Claudia Perry

Copper chances for the 45: Wes Ulm and Paul Gutowski

Tin chances for the 45: Peter Scott, Sahir Islam, Josh Den Hartog, Craig Barker and Pam Mifflin

Dan is over 60 years old, so this is a great spot to get an older player in the field. He won his TOC and made the Elite 18 in the UTOC. His performance a year ago at the WQC shows he's still got game.

Bob Harris may not be in the top 50 for greatest players, but he's easily in the top 50 for most memorable. Anyone want to doubt he'll be playing again? What's he been doing since the UTOC? Only trying to make the world a better place with his work through Kiva.org and his team, Friends [raises hand] of Bob Harris. Bob's defeat in the UTOC was tough to see on first viewing. It took on extra meaning after reading his book Prisoner of Trebekistan.

Grace won her TOC QF game and led her semifinal one going into the FJ clue. She won two games in the UTOC to make the Elite 18. I expect to see her playing again.

What has Lyn Payne done since her appearances on J!? She won $500,000 on Millionaire. I have no idea if that helps or hurts. In 2002 if she had been invited to the M$M instead of let's say Kate Waits or Claudia Perry would anyone have blinked? I think not. Her four wins kept her out of the UTOC. This time she at least has a chance to be invited.

1998 is pretty much a stacked group when the players I put in Bronze may be left on the sidelines. They have had different measure of things gone right and things gone wrong in their games. If someone wants a long shot/upset pick there's a good line to pick from.

Wes Ulm is in Copper for a very strong 5-game regular run when he lost the final game to a future 5xer in Arthur Phillips. Wes going out in the QF of his TOC was quite the surprise at the time. He may have zero percent chance of playing again, but I'm giving him a 5% chance.

Paul Gutowski won a game in the UTOC against the mighty Dave Abbott which I never would have predicted since Paul was 1800-1798=2 in his TOC. That alone gets him one group higher than those in Tin.

slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Re: Calling All TOCers Class of 1998

Post by slam »

I think you should upgrade Claudia Perry. As a television show, I suspect that J! will be looking for diversity in the contestants for this tournament thus making her selection more likely. (Note: Please do not infer any political belief of mine that I believe that this should or should not be the case. It's just that I am predicting that J! will behave this way.)

In general, I am guessing that J! will be placing somewhat less emphasis on the pure playing skills and achievements than you are emphasizing. Although you're not ignoring them (otherwise someone like Bob Harris wouldn't be quite as likely as you're rating him), I think TPTB will tend even more in that direction. Just my opinion.

legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

slam wrote:I think you should upgrade Claudia Perry. As a television show, I suspect that J! will be looking for diversity in the contestants for this tournament thus making her selection more likely. (Note: Please do not infer any political belief of mine that I believe that this should or should not be the case. It's just that I am predicting that J! will behave this way.)

CLaudia probably was invited to the MDM because of that, for better or for worse.

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Another friend of Bob Harris here. I'm reading his new book, The International Bank of Bob, and I took him up on his free Kiva trial offer as well.

I haven't seen Arthur Phillips play, but I'm also reading his book, The Tragedy of Arthur, which is engrossing.