Calling All TOCers Class of 1996

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Calling All TOCers Class of 1996

Post by MarkBarrett »

I sorted this group by money won in regular play and have included TOC results.

David Sampugnaro (5 wins) $72,101 (quarters)
Michael Dupee (5) $66,401 (finals winner)
Michael Daunt (5) $64,198 (finals 3rd)
Bernie Cullen (5) $63,102 (quarters)
Bill Sloan (5) $62,800 (semis)
Brad Plovan (5) $61,402 (quarters)
Beverly Spurs (4) $59,001 (semis)
Mary Hirschfeld (4) $56,004 (semis)
Bill Dickenson (5) $48,401 (semis)
Barbara Walker (4) $46,100 (quarters)
Bob Scarpone (5) $42,401 (finals 2nd)
Lucien Schmit (4) $36,982 (quarters)
Shane Whitlock (C) $32,800 (semis)
Amanda Goad (T) $31,200 (semis)
David Cuneo (S) $28,000 (quarters)

Gold chances for the 45: Dupee vs. Daunt

Silver chances for the 45: Shane Whitlock

Bronze chances for the 45: Beverly Spurs or Mary Hirschfeld or Amanda Goad (Pick one)

Copper chances for the 45: Bernie Cullen, David Sampugnaro, Bill Dickenson, Bob Scarpone

Tin chances for the 45: Bill Sloan, Brad Plovan, Barbara Walker, Lucien Schmit, David Cuneo

Dupee: TOC winner, 10-0 on J! until he missed his FJ clue in the second round of the UTOC
Daunt: TOC finalist, International Tournament winner 1997, UTOC Elite 18, Canadian

Both? One? None?

Shane was Elite 18 in the UTOC as well. He led Frank Spangenberg in the round 3 match, but missed his FJ clue. It's the story of his life. In the TOC he led Michael Dupee going into the FJ clue of the semifinals and missed. If the powers want a college championship representative from the middle decade then Shane is a good choice.

None of the Bronze picks were in the UTOC although Amanda qualified and declined. I thought Beverly or Mary could have been reasonable selections for the M$M. I think it's a good line to pick one of them for the Decades tournament.

Bernie, David and Bill all led their UTOC matches going into FJ and then missed to be eliminated. Bob's total was too low to get him into the UTOC. Perhaps his 2nd place finish in the TOC will get him noticed this time? Bernie is another of the big winners on WWTBAM when he won the $1M prize.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Re: Calling All TOCers Class of 1996

Post by MDaunt »

Or they might just take all three of your bronzes.

Mary Hirschfeld was the toughest player I ever faced. Beverly Spurs was on the Battle of the Bay Area Brains, and Amanda Goad was also the National Spelling Bee champion (and just missed knocking off Bob Scarpone and making the final).
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote:Dupee: TOC winner, 10-0 on J! until he missed his FJ clue in the second round of the UTOC
J! Archive has him missing his first and fourth FJs. (He also wrote his daughter's name on his semifinal FJ, but reportedly knew it.)

Knowing what little I do of Amanda Goad, I imagine she could be a Mueller-esque force to be reckoned with if she came back.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I have a bad feeling that Mike Dupee is going to end up as the most notable snub from this tournament. If the tournament has 45 or 54 contestants then 3 former college champions seems like a good number, and Shane would probably be the 3rd most likely (after Pam Mueller and Tom Cubbage) to be invited. As Mark said, Shane and Michael Daunt made the elite 18 in the UToC, but Mike was upset in round 2. Michael Daunt and Gay Mollette (a 3x champion who didn't qualify for a ToC) were both invited to the 1997 International Tournament over Dupee, so he could be skipped over again.

I just realized that it might be kind of unfair (just for the sake of this proposed tournament) that the Teen Tournament winners pre-2000 were invited to the ToC, but after 2000 they stopped being invited. Does that mean TPTB will be more hesitant to invite former Teen Tournament winners? I could see Eric Newhouse being invited and the rest being skipped. That mat hurt Amanda's chances.

I would love to see this tournament get 4 representatives from the class of '96 but that is asking a lot.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Dupee: TOC winner, 10-0 on J! until he missed his FJ clue in the second round of the UTOC
J! Archive has him missing his first and fourth FJs. (He also wrote his daughter's name on his semifinal FJ, but reportedly knew it.)

Knowing what little I do of Amanda Goad, I imagine she could be a Mueller-esque force to be reckoned with if she came back.
I see where I made it confusing. Michale Dupee won 10 games (counting TOC finals as 2) in a row, not that he had all of his FJ responses correct. He could have been derailed in his debut as that was a miss, but his lead of 15800 against 7900 allowed him to bet zero and survive Ron Jin's double up.

If the numbers do hold up as 8 TOCs, 120 potential selectees, and only 15 players then it might be tough for one TOC to get four in. After I complete 1993-2001 for the middle section it might be easier to see how there is not room for as many from this field that are deserving or we would like to see.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MDaunt wrote:Or they might just take all three of your bronzes.

Mary Hirschfeld was the toughest player I ever faced. Beverly Spurs was on the Battle of the Bay Area Brains, and Amanda Goad was also the National Spelling Bee champion (and just missed knocking off Bob Scarpone and making the final).
Now Jerome has to clean off his computer screen while reading and drinking his morning coffee.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

MarkBarrett wrote:
MDaunt wrote:Or they might just take all three of your bronzes.

Now Jerome has to clean off his computer screen while reading and drinking his morning coffee.
I think Jerome understands what I'm saying. In that match I had to face Jerome and Dan Melia (the thought of it still makes me turn green).
kingskip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kingskip »

Speaking of this TOC, I am a trader and I have been looking for episodes from this TOC for a long time but have never been able to find any. Is there anyone here that can help me out in finding them, particularly the two final games?

Also, what were the dates of Bob Scarpone's original games? They're not in the archive.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

kingskip wrote:Speaking of this TOC, I am a trader and I have been looking for episodes from this TOC for a long time but have never been able to find any. Is there anyone here that can help me out in finding them, particularly the two final games?

Also, what were the dates of Bob Scarpone's original games? They're not in the archive.
It was between late November 1995 and March 27, 1996, as per a trip to Usenet alt.tv.game-shows I just did. ISTR him being late February 1996 for some reason, going from 17 year old memory(GSN ran the 1995-96 season back in 1999-2000 and in 2000 and 2001 on weekends)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

legendneverdies wrote:
kingskip wrote:Speaking of this TOC, I am a trader and I have been looking for episodes from this TOC for a long time but have never been able to find any. Is there anyone here that can help me out in finding them, particularly the two final games?

It was between late November 1995 and March 27, 1996, as per a trip to Usenet alt.tv.game-shows I just did. ISTR him being late February 1996 for some reason, going from 17 year old memory(GSN ran the 1995-96 season back in 1999-2000 and in 2000 and 2001 on weekends)
Bob Scarpone's debut was 2/8/96 with the College Championship running 2/12 - 2/23. Bob returned to retire 2/26 - 2/28/96.
ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav »

When I joined MindFun about 2 years ago (Mike, if you're here, my account doesn't work) I also added as a side note if he'd be interested in coming back. He replied (from memory):
Mike Dupee wrote:I'm not sure they'd invite me back, though I'd love to.
-ahir
legendneverdies

Don't forget Amanda had to get past a tiebreaker at the end of game two of the TofC to even make the TofC.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

This was the last TOC to be held in November as an annual event. I wish they still had it on a regular schedule rather than whenever they feel like it.
legendneverdies

Talking about 1996 and no mention of Coryat :) He wasn't a TofCer, but he's one of the most talked about players of that season in these parts.
MikeDupee
Victim of Sarbanes-Oxley

Post by MikeDupee »

StevenH wrote:I have a bad feeling that Mike Dupee is going to end up as the most notable snub from this tournament. If the tournament has 45 or 54 contestants then 3 former college champions seems like a good number, and Shane would probably be the 3rd most likely (after Pam Mueller and Tom Cubbage) to be invited. As Mark said, Shane and Michael Daunt made the elite 18 in the UToC, but Mike was upset in round 2. Michael Daunt and Gay Mollette (a 3x champion who didn't qualify for a ToC) were both invited to the 1997 International Tournament over Dupee, so he could be skipped over again.

I just realized that it might be kind of unfair (just for the sake of this proposed tournament) that the Teen Tournament winners pre-2000 were invited to the ToC, but after 2000 they stopped being invited. Does that mean TPTB will be more hesitant to invite former Teen Tournament winners? I could see Eric Newhouse being invited and the rest being skipped. That mat hurt Amanda's chances.

I would love to see this tournament get 4 representatives from the class of '96 but that is asking a lot.
Hush, now.
jeopardyfan87
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeopardyfan87 »

Seeing the Seniors Tournament for this year was the final year it had taken place, and according to Brian D.'s Jeopardy page, I understood that during the tournament, the final Seniors champ David Cuneo was "informed about it during the ToC taping." Did this mean that during David's contestant interview with Alex in his quarterfinal game it was mentioned there? If so I was wondering if anyone had a video clip or transcript of his ToC interview....I have been curious as to if the news about the Seniors Tournament being discontinued was aired on TV or not.