Wednesday, June 5, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Jasoni22
Jeopardy! TOCer

Re: Wednesday, June 5, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Jasoni22 »

Vanya wrote:
CyrusChan wrote:horrible episode to watch

and anyone care to enlighten me on how to pronounce Dnepropetrovsk? I always struggle and go with something like duh-nei-per-oh- pet-tro- visk.....
Not sure if serious, but... accent on the last syllable. O is pronounced long o only if it is accented; like "ah" otherwise. So, dne-prah-pe-TROVSK (dn sound is hard for English speakers to say, but you basically swallow the d followed by n (so it's not duh-ne)).

Interestingly enough, Russian has its own version of a southern accent, where all the Os are long. It's looked upon with similar disdain as a US southern accent.
I learned that O had three pronunciations: Long o, "ah", and on rare occasions "uh" (usually when two or more syllables before the stress). Like потолок would be pronounced "puh-tah-LOHK". Maybe that's just another regional variation, though. Don't remember where in Russia my teachers were from.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Jasoni22 wrote:
Vanya wrote:
CyrusChan wrote:horrible episode to watch

and anyone care to enlighten me on how to pronounce Dnepropetrovsk? I always struggle and go with something like duh-nei-per-oh- pet-tro- visk.....
Not sure if serious, but... accent on the last syllable. O is pronounced long o only if it is accented; like "ah" otherwise. So, dne-prah-pe-TROVSK (dn sound is hard for English speakers to say, but you basically swallow the d followed by n (so it's not duh-ne)).

Interestingly enough, Russian has its own version of a southern accent, where all the Os are long. It's looked upon with similar disdain as a US southern accent.
I learned that O had three pronunciations: Long o, "ah", and on rare occasions "uh" (usually when two or more syllables before the stress). Like потолок would be pronounced "puh-tah-LOHK". Maybe that's just another regional variation, though. Don't remember where in Russia my teachers were from.

That may be. I've only heard it pronounced pah-tah-LOHK (ceiling). Russia is a big country; there are probably many regional variations.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

amfteam4 wrote:what were some of the DJ q&a before and after paradise lost-milton?
yeah, FJ was pretty pathetic..latin-5 pentathlon
Who's in the John, Milton?
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

Wonder if What's My Line was overvalued for the top box in the Pop the Question category. Probably would have been a triple stumper if not for middle-aged Kathy being there. Most under 40 would have maybe not known the format of said show, outside of seeing it on GSN(the last first run episode of What's my Line aired in 1975, primetime original run in 1967)
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Vanya wrote:
amfteam4 wrote:what were some of the DJ q&a before and after paradise lost-milton?
yeah, FJ was pretty pathetic..latin-5 pentathlon
Who's in the John, Milton?
No one knows the answer to this?