2010-11 Tournament of Champions Standings (spoilers)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: 2010-11 Tournament of Champions Standings (spoilers)

Post by econgator »

nlafavore wrote:Is this the first time a superchamp has been put in the bronze group? That doesn't sound fair...
*nod* I personally wouldn't have him behind Spak or Short probably not Temple either.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Justin Sausville in Bronze is my opinion and nothing more. Fair or not that's where I think Justin Sausville goes.

I think it's boring to have:

8, 7, 6, 6, 6

5, 5, 5, 5, T

4, 4, 4, 4, C

as Gold, Silver and Bronze just because wins and money look nice.

Instead I have:

8, 7, 6, 5, 4

6, 5, 5, 5, T

6, 4, 4, 4, C

Last year's finalists were 6, 5, 4 with 7 not even getting a sniff of the finals. These things don't always go according to Hoyle. I think it's fun to predict against the expected result.

I realize I could be completely wrong about Kara Spak. It's just a hunch I had that she could hang in there and do all right. I feel fine about Justin being below at least 10 of the players. Some of the TS clues in his games gave a clear indication of things he did not know and yes, I am penalizing him for those. To me Justin's buzzer timing is average and his board knowledge is only good.

If another player qualifies for the TOC this month then Kara Spak would very likely join Justin in Bronze. If that player happened to be Gold level then I don't care about Tom Nissley's wins and money. He would drop to Silver in my book.

The TOC hasn't aired yet, so it's always enjoyable to get lots of opinions about seeding players. It's fun for fans and the competitors can get a laugh or two also.
NJCondon
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by NJCondon »

jpahk wrote:so yeah, that's true, although the g+ post was not public. anyway, now that the cat is out of the bag, so to speak, i don't have to continue the charade that maybe-just-maybe-i-kept-right-on-winning.
Eep; sorry. Given the show's rules, I figured a G+ post was as good as a board post. Sorry about that. I need to learn to keep my mouth closed until I check things...
dirck_hals
Contributor

Post by dirck_hals »

As interesting as ranking the ToC contestants is, trying to figure out what the QF match-ups "should" be might be fun, too. If you ruled TPTB, and assuming that the match-ups aren't truly random, what would your match-ups be (given the current field)?

Keep in mind that choices might be made according to the following:
-certain days of the week may have higher or lower viewership
-balance of favorites throughout the week
-distribution of age, gender, etc... If I were TPTB, I wouldn't put the Erin and Kara in the same quarterfinal game, nor would I have a game featuring Erin, Mark, and John.

I'd open (on Thursday) with Tom N., Paul, and Buddy
End the week with Joon, Christopher, and Charles
Start the next week with Roger, Kara, and John
Tuesday: Tom K., Jay, and Erin
and finish the QFs with Mark, Justin, and Brian

My pre-ToC rankings are:
Roger ? Joon >> Tom N. = Mark > Tom K. >>> Jay ? Justin > Christopher = Paul ? Brian = Kara = Buddy ? Erin = John = Charles
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

dirck_hals wrote:As interesting as ranking the ToC contestants is, trying to figure out what the QF match-ups "should" be might be fun, too. If you ruled TPTB, and assuming that the match-ups aren't truly random, what would your match-ups be (given the current field)?
I would set up the quarterfinal matches so that the seeds that I gave the players add up to 24 for each game (thanks to cheezguyty for showing me how to do this during the last ToC!). It would end up being:

Roger Craig vs. Brian Meacham vs. John Krizel

Joon Pahk vs. Jay Rhee vs. Erin McLean

Mark Runsvold vs. Justin Sausville vs. Paul Kursky

Tom Kunzen vs. Christopher Short vs. Buddy Wright

Tom Nissley vs. Charles Temple vs. Kara Spak

It's obvious that TPTB don't use a seeding system, but I wish that they did.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I don't try to do predictions before the TOC begins. All the players run together and its been so long for some of them I really don't remember some of them. I can look at raw data but it would take rewatching the players' games to get a feel of how they did.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I don't do predictions mostly because I know there are people out there who know what happened and are laughing at them.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I was checking the site for "Look at This (expletive) Jeopardy Contestant" and saw a post by a familiar name. I clicked that name and found a site with a photo after scrolling down a bit.

I don't feel the photo is a spoiler, but it could be interpreted as one potentially.
LeFlaneur
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by LeFlaneur »

1st:Mark Runsvold
2nd:Tom Nissley
3rd: Joon Pahk

Darkhorse: Justin Sausville

If these predictions prove wrong the secratary,Lucy or Maggie, will disavow any knowledge of my action.
Le Flaneur
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

I've been reluctant to post my own rankings with ToC players hanging around, because I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings or inspire laughter with my wrongness.
Screw it. Here's some gold-silver-bronze/ranking action:
GOLD
Roger Craig, Joon Pahk, Tom Nissley, Chris Short, Tom Kunzen

SILVER
Jay Rhee, Mark Runsvold, John Krizel, Kara Spak, Paul Kursky

BRONZE
Buddy Wright, Justin Sausville, Brian Meacham, Erin McLean, Charles Temple

I know it seems weird to put Justin in the bottom, but I felt like he got incredibly lucky going against some people who didn't know how to wager. I'd like to see him prove me wrong. I put the two tournament winners at the bottom simply because we don't get to see as much of them before the ToC. And the college material has a different flavor. I really would like to see Erin win a game, though.
KenJenningsFan74
Valued Contributor

Post by KenJenningsFan74 »

My pre-ToC rankings are as follows:

Gold: Roger Craig, Tom Kunzen, Mark Runsvold, Tom Nissley, Joon Pahk

Silver: Jay Rhee, Justin Sausville, Paul Kursky, John Krizel, Buddy Wright

Bronze: Kara Spak, Christopher Short, Charles Temple, Brian Meacham, Erin McLean

Congratulations to everyone who made it into this very strong ToC field. I wish Good Luck to you all!
UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

A lot of this is going to depend on the match ups, and I don't remember a lot of the early stuff like Buddy, Paul and John to accurate do groups, but I will go ahead and predict who my top 3 are, not necessarily that they'll make the finals together, but I will say Roger, Joon and Tom N, although I was very close to putting in either Tom K or Mark, it's just that good of a field.
jeopfansincebirth
Keeper of the All-Time Rankings

Post by jeopfansincebirth »

Luckily, I joined just in time for the 2011 Tournament of Champions! And I now have the post odds for each tournament player!

Note that these odds of winning the tournament are for entertainment purposes only as I am not a Vegas oddsmaker by day.

Tom N.: 7:2
Joon: 12:1
Roger: 5:1
Justin: 12:1
Christopher: 21:1
Tom K.: 6:1
Paul: 14:1
Jay: 14:1
Kara: 25:1
Mark: 7:1
John: 16:1
Charles: 14:1
Erin: 18:1
Brian: 25:1
Buddy: 24:1

These are the odds for each of the 15 players in the Tournament of Champions. They are an average of odds based on length of winning streak, all-time ranking, average winnings, most correct responses on average, and fewest incorrect responses on average.
Michael M.
"Keeper of the Rankings"
mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

Ha! Cool. (And at those odds?? I'll take Joon all the way to the bank.) :D

Hmm... my guess at final three? Joon, Roger, and either Tom N., or Chris Short. (He's my dark horse, as it were.)
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

Has anyone seen a minisite for the Tournament yet? Tournament is Wednesday and it has yet to be posted.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

The weekly Howdies etc are usually updated on Mondays, so maybe the minisite won't go up until Monday as well. The News item on the site can of course be found here: http://www.jeopardy.com/news/tournamentofchamps28.php
DadofTwins

Post by DadofTwins »

I'm still a year behind watching regular shows, so I'm going off the Archive and plugging data into a spreadsheet to make these picks. I need 5 games for my formulas to achieve critical mass, so I can't say much about the tournament winners.

Gold -- Roger, Joon, Mark, Tom K

Silver -- John, Justin, Jay, Christopher, Tom N

Bronze -- Kara, Brian, Paul, Buddy

Not enough data -- Charles, Erin

It looks like from the data that Roger and Mark did the best against 4-digit clues.
Which of the Gold players make the final will probably come down to match-ups, as there's not much distinguishing them statistically.
Justin is probably the best of the Silvers, but he didn't do quite well enough against the 4-digit clues to warrant a Gold.
It'll be interesting to see if the one-year gap between regular play and TOC hurts Roger, and conversely whether having played recently benefits Joon.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Suze wrote:The weekly Howdies etc are usually updated on Mondays, so maybe the minisite won't go up until Monday as well.
The 20 second promo at Jeopardy.com/showguide/thisweek has the hometown howdies for the five players competing today and tomorrow, and no spoiling outcomes of games like they have been good at of recent.
chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by chuck5982 »

Suze wrote:The weekly Howdies etc are usually updated on Mondays, so maybe the minisite won't go up until Monday as well.
No mini-site on Jeopardy.com right now. It will probably go up tomorrow, 11/2.
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

Yeah I kinda worked that out already, since today's Tuesday. ;)