Tuesday, June 11, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! »

BaltimoreBoy wrote:Due to the bit in the clue about the lengthy trip down the Mississippi, "...Huckleberry Finn" was the only answer possible. That raft trip (of "discovery" and "rebirth," a la The Odyssey) WAS pretty much the whole point of the story. And just another reason so many have called this "The Great American Novel."
Yeah, to me this one was a no-brainer. It's often considered the greatest novel in American Literature and I would bet the vast majority of us read it in high school as part of the curriculum. Of course it helped that I love the book and just reread it a couple years back, but I'm sure it would have been an instaget anyway. :D
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Vanya wrote:I give up, why does Judy rate an exclamation point in the archive?
That's how she signed her name.
Well if I ever get on the show I'm putting a # before my name.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
BaltimoreBoy wrote:Due to the bit in the clue about the lengthy trip down the Mississippi, "...Huckleberry Finn" was the only answer possible. That raft trip (of "discovery" and "rebirth," a la The Odyssey) WAS pretty much the whole point of the story. And just another reason so many have called this "The Great American Novel."
Yeah, to me this one was a no-brainer. It's often considered the greatest novel in American Literature and I would bet the vast majority of us read it in high school as part of the curriculum. Of course it helped that I love the book and just reread it a couple years back, but I'm sure it would have been an instaget anyway. :D
Many haven't read it in school: http://www.politicsdaily.com/2011/01/06 ... ntroversy/
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Vanya wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
And if I ever get on, I'm writing my name as David'); DROP TABLE Players;--. (I know I'm an Archivist, but it'll be worth it. :) )
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

This Is Kirk! wrote:Of course it helped that I love ["Huck Finn"] and just reread it a couple years back,
The last book my sister lent me before she passed a couple years ago. She was hosting Easter dinner and I saw it on her shelf. I liked it in high school, so I gave it another whirl. Even better than I remembered.
nserven wrote:I said “Frankwater.” Which was aggravating since I took note of the title when E. L. Konigsburg passed away two months ago.
I was wondering about that- this game would've been played before late April, yes? I wonder if it would've been a stumper had she passed earlier.
"...Mixed Up Files..." is an outstanding book, as are most of hers. I just finished a mini-run of The View From Saturday (the 29 years between that and "...Frankweiler" is the longest gap for an author's Newbery Medals), The Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place, and Silent to the Bone. Then I sent them all to my friend's son for his birthday.
crazymatt1
Valued Contributor

Post by crazymatt1 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: ...
Should've just kept my mouth shut in Biology. Said collagen for keratin, brain stem for medulla, and almost said "stoma" for spore. However, I got $400 and the DD.
Brain stem was also my answer. When I posed the clue to my wife the neurosurgeon, it was her first answer as well. She then went to "hindbrain" and "rhombencephelon" before asking me what the contestant responded. In her opinion, brain stem should have also been accepted as a correct response had it been given.

Long story short, I say give yourself an extra $4,000!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:And if I ever get on, I'm writing my name as David'); DROP TABLE Players;--. (I know I'm an Archivist, but it'll be worth it. :) )
And I cannot believe that anybody ever designed a database that would allow that to work. Not sanitizing input is one thing, but opening up a hole this size (as opposed to being unaware it is open) is completely nuts.

So, name yourself that, and that'll be the way it shows in the Archive.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Vanya wrote:Many haven't read it in school: http://www.politicsdaily.com/2011/01/06 ... ntroversy/
Maybe there's a bonus question for this week's poll: "I didn't read 'Huck Finn' in HS because it was banned by my school district.'" I suspect the number would be very low.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:Goethe was on Monday's show, not Tuesday's
How'd he do?
:lol: :lol:

Sorry about that, folks...I don't often watch shows back to back these days.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:
bpmod wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I believe "vignt" is French for "I suck at French." :D
I woulda just chalked it up to dysxelia.
And of course your "I have sexdaily. i mean dyslexia! Fcuk!" avatar came up for this post!
Damn it, DH, I was just going to reference that!
bpmod wrote:
John Boy wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
"What is Galveston, oh, Galveston?" — Me
It's the first line of a popular 1970s song (in the sense of "in the popular music genre," not in the sense of anyone actually liking it) by Glen Campbell, called, um, wait...it'll come to me....
I am pretty sure Bobby is quoting his response, not asking us Boardies a question. But, as is often the case, I could be wrong.
I'm very familiar with the Glen Campbell song (why would anyone expect otherwise?). I'm saying that I "rang in" with that lyric, and was amused when Alex acknowledge the correct response in that same fashion.
crazymatt1 wrote:Brain stem was also my answer. When I posed the clue to my wife the neurosurgeon, it was her first answer as well. She then went to "hindbrain" and "rhombencephelon" before asking me what the contestant responded. In her opinion, brain stem should have also been accepted as a correct response had it been given.
The medulla oblongata is just part of the brainstem, though. Since the pons and midbrain also comprise the brainstem, are you sure just "brainstem" wouldn't have been BMSed?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
crazymatt1 wrote:Brain stem was also my answer. When I posed the clue to my wife the neurosurgeon, it was her first answer as well. She then went to "hindbrain" and "rhombencephelon" before asking me what the contestant responded. In her opinion, brain stem should have also been accepted as a correct response had it been given.
The medulla oblongata is just part of the brainstem, though. Since the pons and midbrain also comprise the brainstem, are you sure just "brainstem" wouldn't have been BMSed?
You might actually enjoy this now:
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I'm a bit of a font geek, so I'm surprised at how frequently they used Ashley Crawford on the title cards. I've also seen it on the cover of an animation encyclopedia I own, and even on my favorite root beer.

Also, I love Pinky's voice.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Vanya wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
I always just assumed that your name would have a picture of a sexy woman accompanying it.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Would there have been laughter in the studio, or only in many boardies' homes, if I had replied to the last clue of the game with "What is a Night Owl and the Pussycat?" I was pretty sure that The Owl and the Pussycat wasn't Shakespeare, but since I had my Before & After in the wrong order, I was struggling to come up with any alternate literary title beginning with "Owl". While it was written 250+ years after Shakespeare's death, they at least have some connection. Edward Lear, King Lear. That's not quite a B&A, but at least it's something.

Had I been in Bill's shoes, I at least had something to throw out there in an effort to break the lock. Though if I had been in Bill's shoes, I might have bet just $500 on the Daily Double two clues prior. I knew mandible, but would I have had the nerve to bet $500 and miss on purpose, hoping to run out the clock and make it a lock-tie?
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

econgator wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I didn't get why Alex was close to accepting Bay of Pigs as correct.
Nor do I. It precipitated the Crisis, but as you said, it was in 1961, not 1962 as the clue required.
lol
crazymatt1
Valued Contributor

Post by crazymatt1 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Possibly, but her feeling was that the word "portion" as used in the clue was broad enough to encompass any of those.

Also, dhkendall, she loves that video and has used it in lectures in the past!
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
I did read it, and did remember lots of rafting, and I remembered Tom's clever plan to spring Jim near the end, and I utterly forgot that that didn't take place in Tom's hometown.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

seaborgium wrote:My prediction was that, barring a triple stumper stand-and-stare, someone would get dinged for attempting "Frankenweiler."
I could only come up with "Frakenmiller".
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

jeff6286 wrote:
Vanya wrote:Well if I ever get on the show I'm putting a # before my name.
I always just assumed that your name would have a picture of a sexy woman accompanying it.
You misspelled "hoped".
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

skullturf wrote:
BADuBois wrote:And the question of what crisis took place in October 1962 and nobody got it? Nobody? My, and I even heard that a number of years ago, somebody wrote a book about what would have happened if that crisis had erupted into World War III. :D

FJ was an Instaget. Briefly considered Tom Sawyer but so much of Huck Finn takes place on the raft going down river... amazed that only one got it right.
I can understand somebody reflexively blurting out "Bay of Pigs Invasion" as I did at home -- but since a contestant guessed that and was ruled incorrect, how did neither opponent come up with "Cuban Missile Crisis"?
As I said after the recent derps on World War II clues, Americans suck when it comes their own history, and far too many people are particularly bad at anything they're 'too young to remember'. Jeopardy! used to have more contestants who didn't fall into those traps.