Wednesday, June 12, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6628, 2013-06-12

CONTESTANTS
Erin Murphy, a hospice nurse from Villa Hills, Kentucky
Andre Green, a data analyst from Somerville, Massachusetts
Tim Anderson, a Spanish professor from Rockford, Illinois (whose 3-day cash winnings total $56,001)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Ladies and gentlemen, nice to have you with us once again. In his own quiet way, our champion, Tim Anderson, has been cruising along and winning games. What will happen today, though, as faces these newcomers --Erin and Andre? Let's start finding out. Good luck, players. Here we go. Today, the Jeopardy! Round has these categories.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
A BUNCH OF BOOKS (5/5)
AMERICAN FOOD & DRINK (4/5)
THEIR MIDDLE INITIAL (5/5)
NATIONAL HISTORICAL PARKS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LEGENDS OF ROCK (4/5)
AN UNFINISHED CATEG (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Tim: 14 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Andre: 11 R, 0 W
Erin: 3 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Tim found the Daily Double on the 15th clue. Tim had $3,000, Andre had $4,000, and Erin had nothing in the bank. Tim wagered $1,000.

NATIONAL HISTORICAL PARKS $600: Concord, Massachusetts has a visitor center for the park with this kind of soldier in its name

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Tim: $4,000
Andre: $4,000
Erin: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: We're going to spend a few moments talking to our challengers about relationships. Erin Murphy is from Villa Hills, Kentucky. I want to take issue with your husband.

Erin: [chuckles]

Alex: What did he buy you as an anniversary present?

Erin: For our ninth anniversary, he bought me a golf bag.

Alex: Oh, that's romantic.

Erin: It's very romantic. He wanted us to spend some more time together. It was especially romantic considering that I completely forgot our anniversary altogether.

[Laughter]

Erin: So, he --yeah.

Alex: Okay, good.

Alex: Andre Green is from Somerville, Massachusetts. He was flirting with a woman who said something about Jeopardy!. What did she say?

Andre: So we were flirting, and she mentioned that she was a big Jeopardy! fan, and I agreed with her --I was also one. And she said that when she plays at home she never loses, so we decided that for one of our dates, we would watch Jeopardy! together and play, and I cremated her, and she never talked to me again.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Tim Anderson is our champion. He's from Rockford, Illinois, and Rockford's main industry is what?

Tim: Tool and dye industry.

Alex: Oh, a lot of tools coming out of that part of the country, huh?

Tim: Mm-hmm. Manufacturing. Rockford has a nickname. Its official nickname is "The Screw Capital of the World."

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
AMERICAN FOOD & DRINK $600: Paging this soda brand, a deli favorite that comes in flavors like Cream, Black Cherry & the ever-popular Cel-Ray
(Erin: What is Dr Pepper?)

LEGENDS OF ROCK $800: The 2013 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductees include this "Magic Man" sister act

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Tim: $8,400
Andre: $6,400
Erin: $1,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
EGRETS ONLY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ARCHITECTURE (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
AROUND THE WORLD (4/5)
MOVIES BY COUPLE (4/5)
THE REFORMATION (5/5)
WHAT A "FUN" TIME (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Tim: 15 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Andre: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Erin: 3 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Tim snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Tim had $9,200, Andre had $6,800, and Erin was at $1,600. Tim wagered $1,200.

ARCHITECTURE $800: Amiens Cathedral is an example of Rayonnant, a phase of this style of architecture that features radiant lines of tracery

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Andre who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 25th clue. Tim had $24,800, Andre had $9,600, and Erin was at $2,400. Andre wagered $5,000.

EGRETS ONLY $1200: In 1953 an egret in flight was chosen as the symbol of this society formed in 1905

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ARCHITECTURE $1600: Greene & Greene built classic California cottages with low, sloping roofs, known by this name from the Hindi

AROUND THE WORLD $2000: In Australia, Northern Territory is directly east of this 2-word state

MOVIES BY COUPLE $1200: 2001:
Christian & Satine

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Tim: $24,800
Andre: $20,200
Erin: $4,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY HISTORY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Tim: Wager $15,601 to cover Andre. Or, you could try out a Shoretegic bet of $6,001.
Andre: Your score is within 4/5ths of Tim's, so wager between $9,201 (venusian) and $10,599 (martian), beating Tim's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores while still covering against a doubled score on Erin's part.
Erin: You just can't cover a rational wager by Andre, nor can you win on a Triple Stumper. Improve your situation by wagering everything but a few bucks--and then getting Final right!

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In terms of British monarchs, it's next in the sequence seventh, fifth, eighth, sixth...

FINAL SCORES
Erin: $4,800 + $4,000 = $8,800 (What is II second?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Andre: $20,200 + $5,000 = $25,200 (What is is the second?) (New champion: $25,200)
Tim: $24,800 - $15,601 = $9,199 (What is Fourth?) (2nd place: $2,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Tim: $24,000, 29 R (including 2 DDs), 0 W
Andre: $16,400, 20 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Erin: $4,800, 6 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $45,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Tim: 29/60 = .483
Andre: 21/59 = .356
Erin: 7/58 = .121
Team: 57/63 = .905

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
AMERICAN FOOD & DRINK $400: Some recipes for this sweet treat call for beets instead of food coloring

LEGENDS OF ROCK $400: School's been out a long time, but it wasn't until 2011 that this legend was inducted into the Rock Hall of Fame

ARCHITECTURE $400: Zaha Hadid's Cincinnati building that lets you see all the curating going on is the U.S.A.'s first of these a woman designed

AROUND THE WORLD $1600: One of the 2 gulfs separated by the Sinai Peninsula
(Andre: What is the Persian?)

WHAT A "FUN" TIME $1200: Use it to kill ringworm
(Alex: [*]? ...Yeah, we'll use that.)

WHAT A "FUN" TIME $2000: Show us you know the ropes and give us this fancy name for a high-wire acrobat

EGRETS ONLY $400: Egretta alba is known as the great egret or the great this color egret
(Erin: What is scarlet?)

EGRETS ONLY $2000: The egret is prominently featured on the back of this South American nation's five real note

CORRECT RESPONSES
a minuteman
Dr. Brown
Heart
Gothic
the Audubon Society
bungalows
Western Australia
Moulin Rouge!
second
red velvet cake
Alice Cooper
a museum
the Gulf of Aqaba (or the Gulf of Suez)
an antifungal
a funambulist
white
Brazil
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

20th Century History
In terms of British Monarchs, it's next in the sequence seventh, fifth, eighth, sixth...

Spoiler
What is second? Tim said fourth.

Tim Anderson: $24,800-$15,601=$9,199
Andre Green: $20,200+$5,000=$25,200...now a 1-day champion with $25,200
Erin Murphy: $4,800+$4,000=$8,800
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Took me a while to figure out what they were going for, then I got bogged down a bit with Henry VII and trying to remember the monarchs after him, then I remembered the fricking category and thought of 20th century monarchs that fit (since there weren't all that many of them), and then time ran out. I'm sure I owuld have gotten to it if I didn't waste all that time back with Hank Eight.

In "AROUND THE WORLD" $2000 I thought at first my answer of "East Timor" could also be accepted, since while it's not an Australian state that's directly west of the NT, it is a state. Then I looked at a map, and realized it's more NW of the Northern Territory (although the NT is the closest non-Indonesian land to East Timor. In a couple of million years, though, when tectonic motion pushes Australia more northward towards the Indonesian archipelago, then my answer would also be considered correct.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I knew at least one of the contestants would crash and burn on that FJ. Like College Bowl competitors, many J! contestants are only comfortable regurgitating information and are completely flatfooted when it comes to figuring something out.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

That was very nice of that lady to hold back a few dollars on her FJ bet so she was just short of Tim's MSBIW score, thus allowing him to win another $1,000 that could have been hers.

Instaget FJ. British monarchs are a must know for Jeopardy!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Erin seemed like a non-entity for most of the game. She rang in what, six times? Andre seemed rather nervous, as he was mumbling and tripping over his words a lot.

====

Clammed on John D. Rockefeller, but the next 4 were super-easy.

Couldn't believe I didn't think of Hurricane Sandy on Rock for $200. December 2012 had me thinking the Sandy Hook shootings, and thinking of how to phrase it.

American Food & Drink was leagues tougher than I thought, with only $200 right.

Can we poll Dr. Brown's? It's apparently sold only in NYC, and I would be surprised if anyone was able to identfy something so ultra-regional. (What next, clues on Cheerwine? Sprecher? Ski?)

Partial was my only miss in Unfinished. "On a test" had me thinking "incomplete", but it was already used. I've never heard "partial" used in a test sense.

====

Clare was my only get in World, since I knew Clare County, Michigan (which I live about an hour from) was named after it.

Started to say "What is fun—" on "Fun" for $1,200 before realizing I didn't know the answer. Counting that as a clam. Some nights I stay up cashing in my bad luck, some nights I call it a draw.

====

Not a guess at FJ! Every time I stare at a list of British monarchs, it just dissolves into a mishmash of Roman numerals with absolutely no pattern whatsoever.
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

"Edward, George, Edward, George Six, and Queen Liz Two completes the mix!"

However, I have never heard of Doctor Brown soda before.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I was ready to criticize our new champ for not going all-in on that DD, but it worked out for him. Might've cost him about 20k, but a win is a win.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Can we poll Dr. Brown's?
I live in NYC and I've never heard of it, so don't look at me.
econgator wrote:"Edward, George, Edward, George Six, and Queen Liz Two completes the mix!"

However, I have never heard of Doctor Brown soda before.
Gee, thanks for getting that song stuck in my head again!
OK I lied, it was the first thing that popped into my head when the clue was revealed :lol:
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I've also never heard of Doctor Brown.

I got this FJ, but it took me a couple of seconds to parse it properly. I could definitely see knowledgeable players getting tripped up by this one, since it has an extra dose of "thinking on your feet" as well as a slight mathematical flavor. (It's a little reminiscent of that FJ from earlier this year that had to do with the number of states and provinces in the major North American countries.)

Like many trivia buffs and Jeopardy! hopefuls, I have spent time trying to learn the sequence of English/British monarchs. Here was my approximate thought process for tonight's clue.

"Okay, only two monarchs were ever "the Eighth", a Henry and an Edward. Who was right before or right after Henry VIII? I'm not sure, but I don't think it was the exact list of numbers listed in the clue. Okay then, who was right before or right after Edward VIII? This seems right; the first half of the twentieth century was all Edwards and Georges with relatively big numbers. OH WAIT! The category SPECIFIES twentieth century? Why was I even thinking about Henry VIII at all? The most famous 20th century monarch is the current one, Elizabeth II, and her immediate predecessor was George VI. The other numbers all look about right."

On my piece of paper at home, I wrote down "What is SECOND? (Elizabeth)". (They don't ding you for writing down extra information if it's correct, right? Nevertheless, it might be better FJ strategy to go minimalist. What if my reasoning had been wrong, but "second" was still correct by accident?)
Leander

Post by Leander »

You have to go to delis and speciality food stores these days to find Dr Browns. I grew up around NY and was very familiar with it. I see it in certain stores here in the Chicago area too.

Not an instaget FJ, since it required a little thinking, but still pretty easy.
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

The numbers seemed right for Edward and George, and let's face it, there was one British monarch for a plurality of that century, so it seemed logical to go with her.

I feel like the one person who is very familiar with, albeit not terribly fond of, Dr. Brown.

I like our new champ. Great DJ! run to pull it out.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
DHicton
ToC, Class of '07

Post by DHicton »

Excellent, EXCELLENT FJ clue! One of the best I've seen!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

DHicton wrote:Excellent, EXCELLENT FJ clue! One of the best I've seen!
I SECOND that! ;)
sam_hopkins
Contributor

Post by sam_hopkins »

I grew up with Dr. Brown's mainly in Jewish delis, and I'm from the Midwest so who knows. More of an ethnic than regional thing? Glad I got delicatessen right in my show :)
Leah
Occasional Phantom Presence

Post by Leah »

sam_hopkins wrote:I grew up with Dr. Brown's mainly in Jewish delis, and I'm from the Midwest so who knows. More of an ethnic than regional thing? Glad I got delicatessen right in my show :)
Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray Tonic. I do believe there's someone as old as I am writing clues.

Greetings from Boston metro. We were rooting for you.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

There used to be a deli/cafe-type place in Springfield, Mass., that served Dr. Brown sodas. One of my co-workers is a particular fan of them.

My only hesitation was wondering if there was someone I was forgetting between George VI & Liz. When nothing came up, I said Second.
georgetrev
Contributor

Post by georgetrev »

I said Dr. Pepper in American Food and Drinks. Never even heard of Dr. Brown.

Picked up $800 Lach Trash in Legends of Rock.

Guessed "sixth" in FJ! because I thought I noticed a pattern. Oh well.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

"I cremated her and she never talked to me again." Well, ashes aren't very conversational.
Near insta-get FJ.
econgator wrote:However, I have never heard of Doctor Brown soda before
Heard, seen, never consumed though. Did not get the answer.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

skullturf wrote:I've also never heard of Doctor Brown.
Nor have I, and neither did my wife, who worked for many, many years in Pepsi Corporate in NY.

Swept the middle names --- what, no Milhous? No Baines? --- and enjoyed the fill in the book titles as well.

More of a fast paced game than yesterday's snooze-a-thon.

As a history buff and lover of British history as well --- if there's something faster than an Instaget, that's what happened to me.

Wondered what the Champ thought of putting Fourth down. Hunh?
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp