Wednesday, June 19, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by skullturf »

I'm lucky that The Red Badge of Courage happened to pop into my head and The Thin Red Line didn't, because I actually didn't know which war either one of them was set in, and so the mention of "muskets" wouldn't have been a giveaway for me.

Although I think maybe on some subconscious level I had the idea that The Red Badge of Courage was older.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

By the way, it was interesting that the second guy wagered so big. Looking at it a certain way, it seems irrational. First place had more than double second place, and second place had more than double third place.

But maybe, in a way, it still makes sense for second place to wager big. Basically, he knew the only way he could win the game is if something really strange happened, like if the champ made a silly arithmetic error. Even if you think that's not very likely, there might be a case to be made that the wild wager by second place was reasonable. Yes, you risk falling into third, but maybe you think the difference between second and third isn't very important.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

If he's not going to keep third locked out, he should bet it all. I'll bet that players with locks offer ties to second far more often than they Clavin (even if you don't count the occasions during the five-day limit when a 4x champ had a lock).
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

Ravi looked like Andrew had repeatedly kicked his puppy and sounded like Eeyore on downers by the end of the game.

And howdy, Andrew! Nice run so far (even if your buzzer motion makes me scream "switch to decaf!" at the screen)
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Vanya wrote:
thenextofken wrote:Welcome to the Boards Andrew. To the rest of the boardies: Say what you will about Andrew's bouncing, but the fact is, it's obviously effective. I mean, do you play to the cameras or do you play to win? As for the final, "Red Badge of Courage" never came to mind. Instead, I thought of "Hunt for Red October," which isn't even a war novel. :oops:
Cold war not a war? But we won!
Was thinking the same thing. It feels like a war novel, even if there's no actual *war,* for the period it is set in.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Sage on the Hudson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Bedtime for Bounce-o

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

Volante wrote:If it's stupid and it wins, it ain't stupid!
Then how do you explain George W. Bush?

thenextofken wrote:Welcome to the Boards Andrew. To the rest of the boardies: Say what you will about Andrew's bouncing, but the fact is, it's obviously effective. I mean, do you play to the cameras or do you play to win?
The bouncing didn't bother me; I never even noticed it until I read the comments here. It's Andrew's shouting that was quite annoying.

A little vocal modulation (and a sense of humor about the whole process of being on television) goes a long way. Ken Jennings wouldn't be Ken Jennings without his sense of humor. I found Jennings a bit annoying, too, but for other, less easily definable, reasons...
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

If I could perform like Andrew, I'd take Fran Drescher's voice. What a great game. Extremely impressive.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Re: Bedtime for Bounce-o

Post by Vanya »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:
Algore was stupider.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Vanya wrote:
Sage on the Hudson wrote:
Algore was stupider.
Was?
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

econgator wrote:
Vanya wrote: Algore was stupider.
Was?
He was then. Then he figured out how to make millions off of global warming.
Jasoni22
Jeopardy! TOCer

I'm super cereal

Post by Jasoni22 »

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Vanya wrote:
econgator wrote:
Was?
He was then. Then he figured out how to make millions off of global warming the biggest hoax in the history of mankind.
There. Fixed that for you.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:George W. Bush
Respectful
Vanya wrote:Algore
Typical
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Paucle wrote:
Sage on the Hudson wrote:George W. Bush
Respectful
Vanya wrote:Algore
Typical
Calling him stupid is respectful?

Hey, Paucle! You're stupid.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Vanya wrote:Paucle
Respectful.
Vanya wrote:You're stupid.
Disrespectful.

He called him stupid. He addressed him as George W. Bush. Surely you see the difference. Or are you ...
never mind.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Paucle wrote:
Respectful.
Disrespectful.

He called him stupid. He addressed him as George W. Bush. Surely you see the difference. Or are you ...
never mind.
I'm certain TRD has as much respect for George W. Bush as I have for Algore. I don't know why you expect either of us to say or imply otherwise.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Paucle wrote:
Respectful.
Disrespectful.

never mind.
While we have every right to criticize the President (and Vice President) as much as we want (part of the fun you people have in being American), yes, Vanya, it's the "algore" that makes it disrespectful. Sage could ahve called the previous president "Dubya" (disrespectful), but he didn't.

Thinking of a similar disrespectful name for Obama got me to an interesting thought. The best I could think of when people want to be disrespectful (and call him a name similar to "Dubya" or "Algore") is "Barack Hussein Obama", "BHO", or the like (ie always making clear to use his middle name). While, technically, it's not using a slur, but the actual name he was given at birth (in Kenya), it's pretty much always used in a disrespectful manner (yes, the disrespectful tone is even evident in Internet posts). I guess this is a way they can claim they're being respectful ("But that's his name!") while not being anything of the sort.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

dhkendall wrote: While we have every right to criticize the President (and Vice President) as much as we want (part of the fun you people have in being American), yes, Vanya, it's the "algore" that makes it disrespectful. Sage could ahve called the previous president "Dubya" (disrespectful), but he didn't.

Thinking of a similar disrespectful name for Obama got me to an interesting thought. The best I could think of when people want to be disrespectful (and call him a name similar to "Dubya" or "Algore") is "Barack Hussein Obama", "BHO", or the like (ie always making clear to use his middle name). While, technically, it's not using a slur, but the actual name he was given at birth (in Kenya), it's pretty much always used in a disrespectful manner (yes, the disrespectful tone is even evident in Internet posts). I guess this is a way they can claim they're being respectful ("But that's his name!") while not being anything of the sort.
You're missing the point. I don't want to be respectful of Algore, not in the slightest. I could care less what TRD or anyone else calls Dubya (see, I can call him that because we are friends). If you guys think it's OK to insult someone just because you address him by his full name, well, that's liberals for ya.

As for Obama's nick, I like Osama, but you can't put Obama down without being accused of racism.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Vanya wrote:
econgator wrote:
Was?
He was then. Then he figured out how to make millions off of global warming.
Gore has always been very, very, very environmentally conscience. He's no johny come lately, though the rules do not apply to him (he uses private jet travel all over the world, and its a huge green house producer by his standards) Besides, he has made billions off his invention of the internet :lol: