Thursday, June 20, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

amoore

Re: Thursday, June 20, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by amoore »

Hello again all - sorry for not posting sooner, my computer went into full-on freak out mode and I'm not much of one for message board posting from an iphone. That said, yesterday was probably my least favorite game that I taped. Several bad misses on my part, punted a DD (Australian capitals are one of those things that I can't seem to keep straight), and of course the total whiff on FJ (I couldn't get past Berlusconi's seemingly unending terms, briefly interrupted by Romano Prodi, but the 1991 thing should have mattered).

That said, to a couple of your points:
I must ask Andrew, though, why he didn't risk more on the Capitals DD? Common boardie knowledge is that categories with a very limited set of answers (6, 8, or 11 depending on what is counted) require a big wager (especially with someone in as much of a lead as you were. I'm guessing you aren't nearly as comfortable with geography as I am?
As someone replied, I wasn't going to jeopardize my lock game at that point, plus my own haziness with the category.
Like, Caitlin seemed like, kinda ditzy, you know? Tee hee.
Watching it back, I can see that. But in person, she was really sharp. We all come across differently on screen.
He couldn't have safely wagered much more than $1000, so why risk a win that gives him a very good chance at making the ToC?
This.
I liked how the writers left a trap with Bogart in the detective clue as he played BOTH Philip Marlowe and Sam Spade and clearly our champ either fell for that or had gotten confused between Chandler and Hammett. I know I did in the past and which characters belonged to which author.
You would think that, but that would be giving me far too much credit. I know next to nothing about old movies. Just a bad guess from intuition.
I am surprised (though I probably shouldn't be) at the amount of vitriol about Andrew on the Sony Facebook page.
Haters gonna hate . . .
Lame interview for him today, however.
I'm glad someone mentioned this. I really wasn't sure where Alex was going with that - all that I had put as a talking point was that I had caught a ball at the HR Derby. When he started in about being a baseball fan, it caught me off guard. Also, I flubbed the year in my story, as the ASG was in Atlanta in 2000. So just a bad segment all around. But I really did catch that ball.
I hate him because he's a Braves fan, but as my Mets just beat him 3 of the last 4, that tempers the hatred a tad.
The coincidence of this whole snafu is that I was at The Ted watching the Braves lose to the pitiful Mets last night when my episode aired here. And it was 3/5, don't sell us one lousy win short.
Had Mark Richt used better time management at the end of the SEC championship last year, I'd really be hating Andrew.
You have no idea how much I wish you hated me more . . .
You seem to be very fast on the buzzer. My question to you or anyone else who's played the game is, do you have any tips or strategies for effective buzzing?
Practice. They give you several rounds to warm up before taping, so use that as an opportunity to get your timing down. And other than that, pray.

To all who have posted kind words and congratulations, a very sincere thanks. I hope that all on here some day get the chance to stand on stage. And for those who are not fond of my playing style, thank you for allowing me to play the heel for you (I outed myself as a wrestling fan, remember?). Sometimes it's even more fun to cheer against someone than it is to cheer for them.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:Amoore, are you taking questions today?

You seem to be very fast on the buzzer. My question to you or anyone else who's played the game is, do you have any tips or strategies for effective buzzing?
I'm not Andrew, but I started practicing at home as soon as I got the audition invitation.

You don't see it when you're watching at home, but there are lights on the side of the game board that light up as soon as Alex finishes the last syllable of the last word in the clue. The contestant coordinators suggested we watch for the lights and ring in as soon as we saw them. I'm fairly auditory, though, so I chose to listen for Alex to finish reading the clue and kept the lights in my peripheral vision.

I was worried about how well my buzzer speed would work, especially since I ended up playing two younger guys who I figured had a lot of video game experience, but it worked out well for me.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

How easy was this FJ for me? I follow Medvedev on Facebook.

I don't actually watch the show much in summer so I still haven't seen Andrew. Congrats to him anyway.
ihavejeoprosy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

And for those who are not fond of my playing style, thank you for allowing me to play the heel for you (I outed myself as a wrestling fan, remember?).
I'll be honest, I wasn't a fan during the first game but liked the random jumping after that. Its more interesting to go from one topic to another than just stay the course on one set.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
ihavejeoprosy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

ElendilPickle wrote:
I'm not Andrew, but I started practicing at home as soon as I got the audition invitation.

You don't see it when you're watching at home, but there are lights on the side of the game board that light up as soon as Alex finishes the last syllable of the last word in the clue. The contestant coordinators suggested we watch for the lights and ring in as soon as we saw them. I'm fairly auditory, though, so I chose to listen for Alex to finish reading the clue and kept the lights in my peripheral vision.

I was worried about how well my buzzer speed would work, especially since I ended up playing two younger guys who I figured had a lot of video game experience, but it worked out well for me.
Thanks for this. Always interesting to hear from former players. Seems like its a combination of instinct, skill and luck. But it seems like its something you don't figure out until you get there.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
ChemTeacher
J! Teachers Tournament 2012-B

Post by ChemTeacher »

amoore wrote: Practice. They give you several rounds to warm up before taping, so use that as an opportunity to get your timing down. And other than that, pray.
Having played three times against Colby Burnett, I can say that what often happens during game play is that you focus SO MUCH on your buzzer timing and waiting for the last word of the clue that you don't always think about the wording of the clue itself. So when you watch the game later, it's easy to see how some of the incorrect responses are probably the result of a person just skimming the clue instead of reading every word.

Well done so far Andrew. I hope you keep it going.

By the way, I would have liked to see this Perry White catchphrase in that far right category from the DJ round:

Jasoni22
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Jasoni22 »

ChemTeacher wrote:Having played three times against Colby Burnett, I can say that what often happens during game play is that you focus SO MUCH on your buzzer timing and waiting for the last word of the clue that you don't always think about the wording of the clue itself. So when you watch the game later, it's easy to see how some of the incorrect responses are probably the result of a person just skimming the clue instead of reading every word.
Very true. My first buzz-in of my first game was on this clue, in THE OAKLAND "B"s: "What's now East Oakland was once a city called this, like a borough southeast of Manhattan". I was quite nervous, so as soon as I saw "borough", I focused in on "Bronx". I completely glossed over the "southeast" part, which should have tipped me off, since I know that the Bronx is north of Manhattan. Whoops.
rouquinne
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by rouquinne »

For anyone that found Andrew's "board-jumping" technique odd, remember that Chuck Forrest used that to great effect as well - all those years ago!

If I make it through next week (eeek! NEXT WEEK!!), that's probably what I'd do, too. ;)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

rouquinne wrote:For anyone that found Andrew's "board-jumping" technique odd, remember that Chuck Forrest used that to great effect as well - all those years ago!
Ah, but Chuck Forrest was on before widespread discussion of Jeopardy! via the Internet, so that's the difference. ;)

Good luck, rouquinne!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
rouquinne
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by rouquinne »

Thanks, dh, trying to calm the butterflies that are already threatening to take over my life...

:lol:

("The Forrest Bounce", found it in chapter 8 of Bob Harris' book tonight!)

:D