FJs for the 6/17/13 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 6/17/13 week?

Poll ended at Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:54 pm

Her pen name honored a wise woman from the Old Testament & a 19th century U.S. President
52%
A sign of a trend, in 2010 this product passed Pepsi to move into the No. 2 spot in U.S. soft drink popularity
36%
Appropriately, the sound of musketry & artillery is described as "a crimson roar" in this story
86%
Since 1991 this country has had only 3 different presidents; the current one took over in 2012 for the second time
70%
She first appeared in 1930's "Dizzy Dishes", along with singing cats in flapper outfits
83%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
11%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJs.
No votes
PAINTING & SCULPTURE $1200: In 1901 his sculpture "Bronco Buster" was exhibited at the Pan-American Exposition in Buffalo
49%
AUSTRALIAN CAPITALS $800: This capital of Victoria was the first capital of Australia, serving from 1901 to 1927
57%
TIME FOR BED $1000: Japanese name for a woven straw mat upon which a futon rests
49%
I knew Dear Abby was the name for the Monday FJ clue, but I was not able to come up with Abigail van Buren.
12%
I missed the Tuesday FJ clue because I considered all the Coca Cola products together as #1 and not Diet Coke separately.
27%

Total votes: 107

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 6/17/13 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

6/17 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
IN THE NEWSPAPER

6/17 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Her pen name honored a wise woman from the Old Testament & a 19th century U.S. President

6/18 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FOOD & DRINK

6/18 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A sign of a trend, in 2010 this product passed Pepsi to move into the No. 2 spot in U.S. soft drink popularity

6/19 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WAR NOVELS

6/19 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Appropriately, the sound of musketry & artillery is described as "a crimson roar" in this story

6/20 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD LEADERS

6/20 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Since 1991 this country has had only 3 different presidents; the current one took over in 2012 for the second time

6/21 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CARTOON CHARACTERS

6/21 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
She first appeared in 1930's "Dizzy Dishes", along with singing cats in flapper outfits

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Abigail van Buren
Diet Coke
The Red Badge of Courage
Russia
Betty Boop
The players were 9/15 (60.00%) with a 1-1-3-1-3 success pattern.

The extra clues have two correct by the players sandwiching a missed DD by Andrew.

PAINTING & SCULPTURE $1200: In 1901 his sculpture "Bronco Buster" was exhibited at the Pan-American Exposition in Buffalo

AUSTRALIAN CAPITALS $800: This capital of Victoria was the first capital of Australia, serving from 1901 to 1927

TIME FOR BED $1000: Japanese name for a woven straw mat upon which a futon rests

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Remington
Melbourne
Tatami
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 6/17/13 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Nellie Bly
Diet Coke no problem

From the Wednesday game make sure you have no problem with the five in Painting & Sculpture. I went with the middle clue for the extras, but any of those five are need to knows just like the Australian Capitals from Thursday.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Gotta learn my Oz capitals, that was my only miss.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :( :( :( :mrgreen:
:( :( :(

No guess Tuesday-Thursday. Figured "Dear Abby" wasn't enough on Monday.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Nice set of clues. Too bad I had to do this week from the board/my DVR due to vacation. Well, I enjoyed being on vacation, not complaining.

I mainly knew Remington so fast because his work is featured in the Amon Carter Museum of American Art in Fort Worth. The arts district over there is phenomenal.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

lisa- I can't believe I never noticed before, you don't check poll boxes. Wow, how unobservant am I?
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
yes (I only knew "Dear Abby," which is what I guessed, and I thought that Alex said that that was acceptable)
no

I didn't make the switch from Italy to Russia in time, for Thursday's FJ clue. I had no chance at Friday's. I also had no chance on the straw hat.

The fact that I worked in retail for 6 years probably helped me on the Diet Coke clue.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Paucle wrote:lisa- I can't believe I never noticed before, you don't check poll boxes. Wow, how unobservant am I?
I usually do, but apparently I was so excited by my perfect week that I forgot :mrgreen: Boxes checked, sir!
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

StevenH wrote::mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(
yes (I only knew "Dear Abby," which is what I guessed, and I thought that Alex said that that was acceptable)
no

I didn't make the switch from Italy to Russia in time, for Thursday's FJ clue. I had no chance at Friday's. I also had no chance on the straw hat.

The fact that I worked in retail for 6 years probably helped me on the Diet Coke clue.
I'm curious as to why people said Italy. It used to have a reputation of changing gov'ts every six months.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Vanya wrote:
StevenH wrote::mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(
no

I'm curious as to why people said Italy. It used to have a reputation of changing gov'ts every six months.
They've only had 4 presidents since 1991, so it's not a horrible guess; there have been 13 prime ministers, though.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

StevenH wrote:I also had no chance on the straw hat.
That's "mat."
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Vitamin Water on Tuesday. I had my doubts because the company that makes it was acquired by Coca-Cola in 2007, but went for it anyway, so I can't make the "I lumped all Coke products together" excuse. My train of thought quickly passed over the low-calorie sodas at the beginning of the think music.

I was mostly leaning toward Melbourne, but I hadn't said anything aloud by the time Alex gave the response. If it hadn't been a DD, I would have counted it as a clam, but since it was, I believe I would have said the correct response soon enough.
Jasoni22
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Jasoni22 »

lisa0012 wrote:I mainly knew Remington so fast because his work is featured in the Amon Carter Museum of American Art in Fort Worth. The arts district over there is phenomenal.
That museum's about one mile from my apartment. Never been there, though. I'm not much of an art person.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Jasoni22 wrote:
lisa0012 wrote:I mainly knew Remington so fast because his work is featured in the Amon Carter Museum of American Art in Fort Worth. The arts district over there is phenomenal.
That museum's about one mile from my apartment. Never been there, though. I'm not much of an art person.
If you live that close you need to at least go to the Kimbell. It's a small but amazing collection that anyone can appreciate.
Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Diet Coke kept me from three 5 for 5 weeks in a row.
StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug »

:( :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:( :( :( Heard of tatami mats, but didn't know they put them under futons.
Dear Abby didn't so much as cross my mind.
Didn't lump all Coke products together.
davey

Post by davey »

:( :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
A couple of bad weeks for me at sub 50%....
I misunderstood Monday's category as In the News rather than In the Newspaper, so I was looking for an author who recently died, not a columnist. I don't think I would have remembered Abigail as a Biblical name, anyway..
Even Wed., "musketry" sent me to "Three Musketeers," and "crimson" kept me in France for "The Red and the Black," until I realized it isn't a war novel. So The Red Badge of Courage was a lot to write in the remaining time.
I've never been a fan of bouncers. After watching Andrew, I'm still not...but as they say, you can't argue with success...
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:) :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :( :mrgreen:

Monday: I kept thinking of Ann Landers, but of course there's no President Landers. Dear Abby was a Hail Mary. Once the name Abigail van Buren was read, I knew it was right. (I laughed when Ruth Lincoln was one of the answers, because that's what I came up with trying to get it that way.) I've given myself credit, because I'm fairly sure it would have been accepted, but I don't know.

Tuesday: 50/50 between Coke Zero and Diet Coke, and went with the newer product.

Friday: Minnie Mouse immediately came to mind. Betty Boop was about 10 seconds later, and it just felt more right. I broke my rule of not switching unless I'm absolutely sure (I missed "flapper outfits"), and this once it paid off.

No guess on Remington.

Melbourne: I'm getting better on Canadian capitals, but Australia hasn't entered my radar. I knew Sydney was wrong, being in NSW, and couldn't come up with another guess.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :(

Red Bull on Tuesday. Wasn't sure it counted as a soft drink (never tried one), but it seemed like a newish product of rising popularity. I considered Diet Coke but dismissed it because I didn't see how a product around for 30 years would be thought of as a trend.

Israel on Thursday.

Knew both Abigail Van Buren and Dear Abby.
Sage on the Hudson

Dire Abby

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

nserven wrote:Knew both Abigail Van Buren and Dear Abby.
You could have tried to slip one past the judges by responding, Who's Ann Landers's sister?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:( :( :(

For the season:
FJ: 113-87
Teacher's 6-4
Teen 8-2
TOC: 3-7
College: 8-2
Longest FJ winning streak: 8 (active 1)
Longest FJ losing streak: 6
5/5:2
4/5:12
3/5:9
2/5:11
1/5:6
0/5:0

M-I knew Abby's full nae and her real name, Pauline Phillips. I've actually never heard of Abigail in a biblical context other than hearing Abby say where she got her name. I think they'd have taken Dear abby, though I personally would have negged it since ti was the name of the column, not her actual name.

T-I got Diet coke right away, though the "recent trend" bit worried me, although energy drinks never came to mind. I knew they counted diet drinks separate from the original, so that wasn't a problem.

W-No problems, it was one of two books (other being AQOTWF) that came to mind during the commercial.

T-Israel.

F-I wasn't 100% sure, but had nothing else and it worked out.

Remmington I knew but couldn't pull out. Picked the wrong big Australian city and no chance on the Japan thing.