Canadian Contestant Search

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
boson
Trivial
Posts: 1696
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:01 pm

Canadian Contestant Search

Post by boson »

There is another way for Canadians to get a Jeopardy contestant audition - through a contest with the Hamilton station CHCH which broadcasts the show:
http://www.chch.com/contests/jeopardycontest/

It isn't much of a chance - only one audition - but you get a chance to meet Bob Cowan and Annette Hamm! Wowsers!

bpmod
Rank
Posts: 5424
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:26 pm
Location: Hamilton Ontario

Re: Canadian Contestant Search

Post by bpmod »

Yes, and good luck. I have already had a nightmare trying to enter. I will speak with somebody on Monday to see if anything can be done.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8776
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Canadian Contestant Search

Post by dhkendall »

boson wrote:There is another way for Canadians to get a Jeopardy contestant audition - through a contest with the Hamilton station CHCH which broadcasts the show:
http://www.chch.com/contests/jeopardycontest/

It isn't much of a chance - only one audition - but you get a chance to meet Bob Cowan and Annette Hamm! Wowsers!
Unfortunately (and I wish more Americans would learn this), Canadians =/= Hamilton (or S. Ontario). Totally impractical for me, the Cleveland auditions last year would have been closer for me.

(Should I have said, when I heard about the Cleveland auditions, "There's another way for Americans to get an audition for Jeopardy ... ")

Pet peeve aside (I've been under the weather this evening, and thus a little crochety, which is probably why I snarked on that in the first place), I do wish my fellow Canucks luck who can take advantage of it. Especially the most likely candidate, bpmod.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

bpmod
Rank
Posts: 5424
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:26 pm
Location: Hamilton Ontario

Re: Canadian Contestant Search

Post by bpmod »

By the same token, I can say that Toronto =/= (the rest of) Southern Ontario. That being said, it is very easy to get to from here. I think CHCH is trying to be a Toronto station, though, which is alienating it from many of us locals that grew up on Tiny Talent Time, Hilarious House Of Frightenstein, Party Game and other great shows produced by CHCH right in their own studios. They are even now calling the Argos the hometown team and featuring them in the sports highlights rather than the Cats.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8776
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Canadian Contestant Search

Post by dhkendall »

bpmod wrote:They are even now calling the Argos the hometown team and featuring them in the sports highlights rather than the Cats.
Well, the simple reason for that is the Cats suck, I don't blame em! :) (Why you think their home field is known as Ivor Lose Stadium??? ;) )

(The Argos suck too, but at least they're not as bad as the Ti-Cats.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

bpmod
Rank
Posts: 5424
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:26 pm
Location: Hamilton Ontario

Re: Canadian Contestant Search

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:
bpmod wrote:They are even now calling the Argos the hometown team and featuring them in the sports highlights rather than the Cats.
Well, the simple reason for that is the Cats suck, I don't blame em! :) (Why you think their home field is known as Ivor Lose Stadium??? ;) )

(The Argos suck too, but at least they're not as bad as the Ti-Cats.)
Ummm... you haven't been keeping up. Ivor Wynne stadium is history. No more. The Cats have (temporarily) moved to Guelph (home of our very own OntarioQuizzer).

But, it looks like you also missed the fact that they trounced some other team 52-0 on Friday. Now... which team was that? Oh, yeah, I remember now! It was the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

User avatar
happybooker
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:37 am
Location: Guelph, Ontario

Re: Canadian Contestant Search

Post by happybooker »

I live in Guelph and am married to a woman who carries pictures of Kenny Ploen and Leo Lewis (the first one) in her wallet even now. Want to bet that we make it to a Ti-Cat game? Highly unlikely -- kind of at the level that she'd want to sit next to Angelo Mosca on a transcontinental flight.

slam
Auditioning Since 1985
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: Canadian Contestant Search

Post by slam »

boson wrote:There is another way for Canadians to get a Jeopardy contestant audition - through a contest with the Hamilton station CHCH which broadcasts the show:
http://www.chch.com/contests/jeopardycontest/

It isn't much of a chance - only one audition - but you get a chance to meet Bob Cowan and Annette Hamm! Wowsers!
When I read this, it felt like I was watching one of the many episodes of How I Met Your Mother in which Robin Scherbatsky mentions some allegedly well-known Canadian that no American has any chance of knowing. Frozen Snowshoe, anyone?

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8776
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Canadian Contestant Search

Post by dhkendall »

bpmod wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
bpmod wrote:They are even now calling the Argos the hometown team and featuring them in the sports highlights rather than the Cats.
Well, the simple reason for that is the Cats suck, I don't blame em! :) (Why you think their home field is known as Ivor Lose Stadium??? ;) )

(The Argos suck too, but at least they're not as bad as the Ti-Cats.)
Ummm... you haven't been keeping up. Ivor Wynne stadium is history. No more. The Cats have (temporarily) moved to Guelph (home of our very own OntarioQuizzer).

But, it looks like you also missed the fact that they trounced some other team 52-0 on Friday. Now... which team was that? Oh, yeah, I remember now! It was the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

Brian
I take back that luck I wished you earlier.

I attribute my above statement to the following two characteristics about me: one, as a Bomber fan we're used to living in the past (as happybooker alluded to), our last Grey Cup win (23 years ago, the least recent of all CFL teams) seems very recent still. And two, I'm also not much of a sports follower at all. The only team with a new stadium this year that I knew a out was us (which I've been in already), but at least we had the sense to have our new digs completed before leaving the old one. And I was completely unaware of Fridays game (or that they even played), though I knew about their previous loss to Montreal. But, geez Louise, if the Bombers can take that kind of shellacking from a team that sucks as bad as the Ti-Cats, something's wrong with the Blue and Gold!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 862
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:47 pm

Re: Canadian Contestant Search

Post by Turd Ferguson »

bpmod wrote:I think CHCH is trying to be a Toronto station, though, which is alienating it from many of us locals that grew up on Tiny Talent Time, Hilarious House Of Frightenstein, Party Game and other great shows produced by CHCH right in their own studios.
Other great shows like one glorious season of "Reach For The Top", hosted by a sneaker-clad Alan Cross...

bpmod
Rank
Posts: 5424
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:26 pm
Location: Hamilton Ontario

Re: Canadian Contestant Search

Post by bpmod »

slam wrote:
boson wrote:There is another way for Canadians to get a Jeopardy contestant audition - through a contest with the Hamilton station CHCH which broadcasts the show:
http://www.chch.com/contests/jeopardycontest/

It isn't much of a chance - only one audition - but you get a chance to meet Bob Cowan and Annette Hamm! Wowsers!
When I read this, it felt like I was watching one of the many episodes of How I Met Your Mother in which Robin Scherbatsky mentions some allegedly well-known Canadian that no American has any chance of knowing. Frozen Snowshoe, anyone?
Actually, I am sure that boson was being very facetious in that post, as I doubt he ever heard of Bob Cowan or Annette Hamm before hearing of this contest. If he had, then he must be a faithful watcher of CHCH (and I, as a Hamiltonian, would thank him for that). I have met several CHCH on-air personalities. In fact one of them is the drummer in my band. But I wouldn't expect anybody outside of the Hamilton area to recognize their names.
dhkendall wrote:I take back that luck I wished you earlier.

I attribute my above statement to the following two characteristics about me: one, as a Bomber fan we're used to living in the past (as happybooker alluded to), our last Grey Cup win (23 years ago, the least recent of all CFL teams) seems very recent still. And two, I'm also not much of a sports follower at all. The only team with a new stadium this year that I knew a out was us (which I've been in already), but at least we had the sense to have our new digs completed before leaving the old one. And I was completely unaware of Fridays game (or that they even played), though I knew about their previous loss to Montreal. But, geez Louise, if the Bombers can take that kind of shellacking from a team that sucks as bad as the Ti-Cats, something's wrong with the Blue and Gold!
So, it's safe to assume you didn't know that we also kicked the crap out of Montreal the week before?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 862
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:47 pm

Re: Canadian Contestant Search

Post by Turd Ferguson »

bpmod wrote: So, it's safe to assume you didn't know that we also kicked the crap out of Montreal the week before?
Is there anything less meaningful in sport than pre-season games coming before a regular season that only eliminates two teams?

bpmod
Rank
Posts: 5424
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:26 pm
Location: Hamilton Ontario

Re: Canadian Contestant Search

Post by bpmod »

Turd Ferguson wrote:
bpmod wrote: So, it's safe to assume you didn't know that we also kicked the crap out of Montreal the week before?
Is there anything less meaningful in sport than pre-season games coming before a regular season that only eliminates two teams?
Does the NHL regular season eliminate more than 25% of the teams? But let me have my fun. If recent seasons are any indication, it's likely to be short-lived.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 8651
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Canadian Contestant Search

Post by econgator »

bpmod wrote:
Turd Ferguson wrote:
bpmod wrote: So, it's safe to assume you didn't know that we also kicked the crap out of Montreal the week before?
Is there anything less meaningful in sport than pre-season games coming before a regular season that only eliminates two teams?
Does the NHL regular season eliminate more than 25% of the teams? But let me have my fun. If recent seasons are any indication, it's likely to be short-lived.

Brian
NHL -- 16 of 30 (teams make the playoffs)
NBA -- 16 of 30
NFL -- 12 of 32
MLB -- 10 of 30
CFL -- 6 of 8

bpmod
Rank
Posts: 5424
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:26 pm
Location: Hamilton Ontario

Re: Canadian Contestant Search

Post by bpmod »

econgator wrote:NHL -- 16 of 30 (teams make the playoffs)
NBA -- 16 of 30
NFL -- 12 of 32
MLB -- 10 of 30
CFL -- 6 of 8
So the CFL is the highest percentage. I always thought that the NHL rivalled it in that respect.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4702
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Canadian Contestant Search

Post by jeff6286 »

bpmod wrote:
econgator wrote:NHL -- 16 of 30 (teams make the playoffs)
NBA -- 16 of 30
NFL -- 12 of 32
MLB -- 10 of 30
CFL -- 6 of 8
So the CFL is the highest percentage. I always thought that the NHL rivalled it in that respect.

Brian
Well the NHL used to be 16 of 21, before their rush of expansion (into mostly warm-weather U.S. cities) that began in the early 1990s.

Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 862
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:47 pm

Re: Canadian Contestant Search

Post by Turd Ferguson »

jeff6286 wrote:
bpmod wrote:
econgator wrote:NHL -- 16 of 30 (teams make the playoffs)
NBA -- 16 of 30
NFL -- 12 of 32
MLB -- 10 of 30
CFL -- 6 of 8
So the CFL is the highest percentage. I always thought that the NHL rivalled it in that respect.

Brian
Well the NHL used to be 16 of 21, before their rush of expansion (into mostly warm-weather U.S. cities) that began in the early 1990s.
And the CFL will be 6 of 9 starting next year, until the "REDBLACKS" (capitalization intentional) fold a few years later.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8776
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Canadian Contestant Search

Post by dhkendall »

Turd Ferguson wrote: And the CFL will be 6 of 9 starting next year, until the "REDBLACKS" (capitalization intentional) fold a few years later.
Hey, anything to get Winnipeg back in the West division. (Seriously? East?)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

bpmod
Rank
Posts: 5424
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:26 pm
Location: Hamilton Ontario

Re: Canadian Contestant Search

Post by bpmod »

Turd Ferguson wrote:
bpmod wrote: So, it's safe to assume you didn't know that we also kicked the crap out of Montreal the week before?
Is there anything less meaningful in sport than pre-season games coming before a regular season that only eliminates two teams?
I remembered all of this talk about how badly the Ti-Cats suck, so I just came back to say...

At least 5 other teams must suck more. (and, of course, make that six in a few hours)

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

User avatar
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting
Posts: 729
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Canadian Contestant Search

Post by MDaunt »

Starting to look like the sixth worst team in the league will be playing the toothless banjo-picking fumbling-on-the-goal-line hillbillies.

Edit: Or maybe not. nobody ever went broke betting against the Riders.

Edit edit. Riders win.

Post Reply