Thursday, July 11, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ChemTeacher
J! Teachers Tournament 2012-B

Re: Thursday, July 11, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by ChemTeacher »

bpmod wrote:
ElendilPickle wrote:I precalled several clues in the "sailing in the movies" category.
They didn't mention my favourite movie scene involving sailing:

Bob Wiley's exclamation "I'm sailing!!!!"

Brian
They also could have used this clue:

In the film High Society, this was the name of C.K. Dexter-Haven's yacht, on which he and Tracy Lord spent their honeymoon.

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

The next boardie who gets on the show and has the chance has to give The War of Northern Agression for The Civil War.

Santa Barbara Boxer who fights for the entire state? She is considered saintly in the Bay Area by a huge percentage, but there are large areas of the state where that is ____ .

Ben had a nice run and Jason Keller and Dan Pawson escaped company for regular wins. The rebounds to Mark cost Ben the game. Both were $1200, so either one responded to correctly would have put Ben in second to take the game.

The Barbaric one was: Adjective for crude & uncivilized practices

The game moves quickly and on short-worded clues things like barbarism can happen. Miss Havisham in Oliver Twist? Inexcusable.

Alex was cruel on the Ruby reveal, but it was still a good moment for Dawn to have made the big move.

Classical Music is a neutral category for me. Never would it scare me enough to stay pat on the lead like some other categories may have done. Solving the clue took a little work. Moscow = Russian. Stravinsky or Tchaikovsky most likely for a starting point. Just kind of brainstorming their works that J! likes got me the correct response. If some of Ben's other opponents had the clue I wonder if anyone would have added "War of" to botch their response?

Mark put up a 15600 Coryat against an 8-time champ. Tomorrow should have a pairing of opponents not as strong as he faced tonight.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Not a guess on FJ! 1812 Overture is RUSSIAN?!?!
Here's something else to blow your mind. Has nothing to do with the N. American war of 1812. (There was more than one war that year, you know.) In fact, I still don't know why Americans play it every July 4 ... (actually, I'm pretty sure it has to do with the fireworks right in the score).

Another fun fact. During the days of the Soviet Union, the 1812 Overture was performed with another piece instead of the "God Save the Czar" bit, for somewhat obvious reasons. (Sounds quite different, the part that "Boze, tsar kraniy"* is in in the piece is probably the most famous part.)

*Vanya, forgive any spelling mistakes, that's from memory.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
AdamAnt
Valued Contributor

Post by AdamAnt »

Very impressive game by all three. Sad to see yet another champion's reign come to an end. By now I'm starting to wonder since I've been watching Jeopardy! basically every night now, who will I root for when the next ToC comes around?

Loved Dawn's very gutsy move with that Daily Double, loved even more her reaction when Alex tried to fake her out. It's the simple things that delight me.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Terrific game. (Ok I only saw the second half, and since someone at J Archive hasn't gotten off his ass yet...). Anyway a shocking finish if you asked me, but it worked from a drama standpoint. Interesting to see Ben v Andrew v Drew sometime in 2014, assuming Trebek doesn't die.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Austin Powers wrote:Terrific game. (Ok I only saw the second half, and since someone at J Archive hasn't gotten off his ass yet...). Anyway a shocking finish if you asked me, but it worked from a drama standpoint. Interesting to see Ben v Andrew v Drew sometime in 2014, assuming Trebek doesn't die.
The way we like to knock those guys around one of them is not making the semis and they will be separated in the quarterfinals. They'll never meet. ;) Ben will be going for the very rare 10/10 on FJ clues.
brandone

Post by brandone »

That was a very refreshing episode to watch. All 3 contestants played very well. Dawn's gutsy wager really impressed me, as I was biased and assumed she would make a conservative wager. I really liked Ben, and I'm sad to see him go. Hopefully he'll do well in the next ToC. Mark's win landed him over $30,000, and I want to see him win a few games. Congrats to Ben on your successful run, it was a pleasure to watch!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote:
Here's something else to blow your mind. Has nothing to do with the N. American war of 1812. (There was more than one war that year, you know.) In fact, I still don't know why Americans play it every July 4 ... (actually, I'm pretty sure it has to do with the fireworks right in the score).
Those are cannons.
And they played it in crowded concert halls! Bet you thought classical music was boring!
Spoiler
blatantly stealing from someone more talented than me on that one. Guess who!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

^ Calvin & Hobbes FTW.

My favorite Calvin & Hobbes quote: "Yakka foob mog. Grug pubbawup zink wattoom gazork. Chumble spuzz."
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I wrote "1812 Symphony" for FJ. Doh! I knew it didn't look right when I wrote it down.

edit: I see (according to Wikipedia) that it is properly called "The Year 1812." Any chance 1812 Symphony would be acceptable?
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

bpmod wrote:
ElendilPickle wrote:I precalled several clues in the "sailing in the movies" category.
They didn't mention my favourite movie scene involving sailing:

Bob Wiley's exclamation "I'm sailing!!!!"

Brian
Is that from What About Bob? I don't think I've ever seen the whole thing.
WooWho?
Jeopardy! Almost-Champion

Post by WooWho? »

bpmod wrote:
billy pilgrim wrote: OC we could check the ARCHIVE if they'd ever get around to posting it !
You know, the Thursday archivist is probably having trouble archiving with a wooden leg.
It's good to see that my game has left its mark on the Jeopardy! fandom, even still some ten years later... :P

Ben, what a run. Many congratulations and see you in the ToC! It'll be weird seeing the champ start from the top of a category again.
アタックチャンス!
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Wow, didn't expect it to go down like that. Ben really fought valiantly against stiff competition.

Anyone notice that "Joe Louis" was spelled wrong in the closed captioning for Where Are We for $800?

DJ! was not kind to me, with 0/5 in 19th Century Quotes, Athletes, and Senator B&A. I have never heard of Pat Tillman, and was stunned to see him in the top box.

Not a guess on FJ! 1812 Overture is RUSSIAN?!?!
Also interesting was that the Redwings logo was very visible, so it was an instaget.
You should read up about Tillman, its a great albeit very tragic story.
Try Jon Krakauer's Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jeff6286 wrote:Classical Music
This piece that premiered in Moscow in 1882 includes strains from "God Save the Czar" & "La Marseillaise".

Spoiler
What is The 1812 Overture? Dawn said "I have no idea".

Dawn Owens-Nicholson: $21,000-$0=$21,000
Mark Japinga: $15,600+$15,599=$31,199...now a 1-day champion with $31,199
Ben Ingram: $14,400+$3,600=$18,000
Dawn's FJ wager really would have hurt if she'd gotten it right. But her bet wasn't that bad. Her MSBIW score is $10,799. If Ben wants to stay above that, he can risk no more than $3,600, which is what he bet. So all she really was counting on was Mark not getting it right. Unfortunately for her, he did get it right.

I got it right as well, though I'm not sure how. I also was unaware it was a Russia piece, though I did have some vague idea of what it is about so went with it as an educated guess.
Leander

Post by Leander »

This Is Kirk! wrote:I wrote "1812 Symphony" for FJ. Doh! I knew it didn't look right when I wrote it down.

edit: I see (according to Wikipedia) that it is properly called "The Year 1812." Any chance 1812 Symphony would be acceptable?
The answer would be no. At least by 19th century standards, a symphony has a structure consisting of several distinct movements, usually, but not always four. "The Year 1812" was called by Tchaikovsky a festival overture and has only a single movement. Overtures were traditionally the introduction to something like an opera, but the term began to be used for pieces like this as well, that were written for a specific occasion and didn't fit a symphonic form.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

I see that the archive has posted the game! My friends in Banda Aceh are blowing up my phone over this. (Seriously, thanks as always.)

I feel that Botany Bay question needed to be answered a la Chehkov. "Botany Bay.... BOTANY BAY?!?!?"

Still stunned over the ending. Mainly that the leader knew she wouldn't know.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Austin Powers wrote:I see that the archive has posted the game!
About damn time.

Still stunned over the ending. Mainly that the leader knew she wouldn't know.
While not a category I'd be thrilled to see while in the lead, I'm still making the MSB. We don't know Mark's knowledge of classical music, but he had to bet big and bit the bullet and did it. I wonder if she even thought about FJ or just wrote that down since her zero bet made her question irrelevant.

But as I said, the scores made Ben a non factor, so if he bet rationally, she could eliminate him by betting zero. Of course, the problem is he might be a big classical music buff. Or he could decide that since he's already won a ton of money and become a superchamp, he's tired and ready to go big or go home and bet it all. Which is why you should always go for the win if you have the lead. But at least she got $2,000 from her bet.
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

Jeopardy lover wrote:Agreed. Archivists really need to have these games up by 4et every day. Not that hard
Dude. Seriously? There are large chunks of the country where they haven't *aired* by 4 Eastern yet. Personally, I'm okay with a game not being archived until it's actually aired nationcontinent-wide.

edited because I accidentally the whole Canada.
Last edited by NYCScribbler on Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

dhkendall wrote:

Another fun fact. During the days of the Soviet Union, the 1812 Overture was performed with another piece instead of the "God Save the Czar" bit, for somewhat obvious reasons. (Sounds quite different, the part that "Boze, tsar kraniy"* is in in the piece is probably the most famous part.)

*Vanya, forgive any spelling mistakes, that's from memory.
I thought it was the Quaker Oats theme.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

xxaaaxx wrote:
I managed to miss continuance. Back to TV law school :oops:

This is the part where I would've lamented that gutsy 10K wager going for naught, but wtf? How does someone "crazy" enough to nearly go TDD turn around and bet ZERO in FJ, with the LEAD!??! AARRGGGHH.
I also managed to choke completely on "continuance." I hang my head in abject shame.

And agreed re Dawn's FJ non-wager. I've often said that, apart from the Clavin, the worst possible J! strategic mistake is to lead going into FJ and not wager enough to win. I try to imagine how bad would a category have to suck for me, before I would bet $0 from that position. Could be this was Dawn's nightmare category (I mean, it was pretty easy and she still had no idea), but still....

Bye to Ben, and thanks for a great nearly-two-weeks of J!, and much luck in the ToC.