J! 30th anniversary tournament

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Glassysquid
Jeopardy 2010-B College Champion

Re: J! 30th anniversary tournament

Post by Glassysquid »

ThatDarnCat wrote: Leave us not to forget you can vote on multiple platforms.
Exactly, that's what I meant by "anyone have any theories", haha. Do we think more people are voting on twitter than on the site? on facebook?

It's an interesting idea. We'll never know because TPTB don't post a progress bar on the site or on the facebook.
Proud member of ESPRIT DE CORPS, otherwise known as the 16 fine individuals who participated in the 2010-B College Championship, and the outstanding ToC Class of 2011.
Fish/squid enthusiast and Ph. D student at the University of Rhode Island.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

What is the voting procedure on Facebook?

Rex
mrbungle
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mrbungle »

Rex Kramer wrote:What is the voting procedure on Facebook?

Rex
go to http://www.facebook.com/Jeopardy and click the "Battle of the Decades" tab to the right of the alex trebek photo near the top of the page.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

mrbungle wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:What is the voting procedure on Facebook?

Rex
go to http://www.facebook.com/Jeopardy and click the "Battle of the Decades" tab to the right of the alex trebek photo near the top of the page.
Much obliged, sir.
Coelacanth
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Coelacanth »

Glassysquid wrote: And I'm wondering how this translates into the facebook and site voting. I wonder if there's more or less voting there, and if the balance is similar.

Anyone have an opinion?
Of the many people that I've asked to vote for me, I think exactly two of them are on Twitter. I am not one of them. If there is not orders of magnitude more voting on the website than Twitter, I'd be stunned.
Brian Weikle
Season 19
ThatDarnCat
Valued Contributor

Post by ThatDarnCat »

Indeed, Brian, my entire candidacy is based on that premise.

As another being who returned in a more transcendent form once observed, there was never much hope. Just an old fool's hope.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

ThatDarnCat wrote:Indeed, Brian, my entire candidacy is based on that premise.

As another being who returned in a more transcendent form once observed, there was never much hope. Just an old fool's hope.
I hope you lose.
ThatDarnCat
Valued Contributor

Post by ThatDarnCat »

A charming sentiment. I hope you jump in a lake.

One of the few nice things I've taken from this entire experiment in "courageously" burning down my life is the number of people who really truly support me--I had no idea that so many people who only knew me briefly, long ago, would do so.

As for the rest of y'all, history will bury you.
Coelacanth
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Coelacanth »

ThatDarnCat wrote: One of the few nice things I've taken from this entire experiment in "courageously" burning down my life is the number of people who really truly support me--I had no idea that so many people who only knew me briefly, long ago, would do so.
Your experience with this requires much more courage than mine, but I've learned the same thing about the people who support me. To some extent, this learning will temper the potential bitter disappointment that I may experience next week.
Brian Weikle
Season 19
Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Austin Powers »

"That escalated quickly."
periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle »

ThatDarnCat wrote:Indeed, Brian, my entire candidacy is based on that premise.

:D
That took me a minute. Excellent quote.
ThatDarnCat
Valued Contributor

Post by ThatDarnCat »

For what it is worth, I am well aware that the facts of my biography almost certainly are a major reason I am in the pool of fifteen, just as I am well aware that those same facts make it improbable that I will the the fan favorite--and for that matter, I am well aware of the kinds of things people say about me as they've said them to my face, on more occasions than anyone would find pleasant.

As recently as two weeks ago I was still considering pulling out from the contest; every rational bone in my body told me it was better to maintain the quiet niche that I had built for myself rather than out myself to a not-insignificant portion of North America, including those friends whom I have not told and who had not already guessed. Probably alone among the fifteen I had a serious question of whether to accept the offer--to choose between possibly my last chance to do something I am quite good at and truly love being able to do, or the fallout that this decision would have on my life, career, and relationships.

The support of my many friends from the show, and the sensitivity of the production staff convinced me to stay in. Of course, it is easier to be Branch Rickey.

I suppose that it is massively unfair that I had to make such a choice; but then it is massively unfair that I had to spend the majority of my life crippled with a dysphoria that never got better. And it is even more massively unfair that many of my brothers and sisters in spirit will never have the chance to make as easy a transition as I have made, and will live lives of unquenchable loss; and most unfair of all that before the voting closes some brother or sister of mine will have been killed for having the temerity to presume that they are human beings.

But then in the end, it was never about this being worth it to me. Somewhere, sometime a young sister of mine will be facing her life, the young womanhood--or even girlhood--that was denied to me. And maybe my example will show that, as the parlance goes, it gets better. And it will be worth it to her.
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

THIS is why a "Like" button is not a bad idea.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Double like.
SwanShadow
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by SwanShadow »

Catherine, you make the entire family of Jeopardy! champions proud. Thanks for just being you.
Michael Rankins
ToC '88; Super J! '90; BoBAB '98; UToC '05; BotD Fan Favorite Reject, '14
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Well, that sucks.

Now I have to vote for you. But just once and very, very reluctantly.
periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle »

Likety like like.

Also, Cat, I have now voted from desktop, laptop, phone, and twitter. Will keep doing that (with at least one vote for the extremely gracious Michael, and a vote for boardie Brian, but mostly for you).
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Cat,
I can honestly say that, had it not been for this very questionable "fan favorite" competition, I would never have known about you or your status as a transgendered J! champion. Now that I do, though, I salute you and your courage to put yourself as much in the public eye as you have. My mother, a schoolteacher, worked with one of the very early transgendered people, who lost his teaching job as a result. Whether you make it onto the tournament or not, you have earned my respect by choosing to compete.
ThatDarnCat
Valued Contributor

Post by ThatDarnCat »

Damnit, that was going to be the best flounce ever. But such nice things said cannot go unacknowledged.

Thank you all. Michael, you are a class act. It would be an honor--no, an honour--to lose to you.

Just not today ;)
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

I was all in just based on your avatar. :) But what a beautiful post -- I admire your bravery, enjoy your humor, and respect your J! play. I hope this entire experience, whether you win or not, has been good for you. Best of luck, Cat!