J! 30th anniversary tournament

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: J! 30th anniversary tournament

Post by Woof »

Great photo, Dr. J! Regardless of how you did in the BotD, you certainly appear to have enjoyed yourself (surprise, surprise!)
ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav »

My predictions for the matchups in the QFs:
Chuck Forrest vs. Pam Mueller vs. Russ Schumacher
Robin Carroll vs. Ken Jennings vs. Leszek Pawlowicz
Mark Dawson vs. Tom Nosek vs. Dan Pawson
Colby Burnett vs. Mark Lowenthal vs. Brad Rutter
Roger Craig vs. Tom Cubbage vs. Rachael Schwartz
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

pamiam wrote:So the matchups and some photos from the '90s taping seem to be up: http://www.jeopardy.com/minisites/battl ... cades/90s/

Does anyone have any idea why my winnings are listed as $98,599? The car can't possibly be that much (and no one else seems to have cars included). It's not right if you consider UToC winnings (not that anyone else's are included either). Is it just someone else's total they've accidentally appended to my photo? I mean, I'm not complaining--it makes me look like a total boss. :)
For the portion on the J! page updated for the 5/5 - 5/16 games each of the 15 players have new totals with their names. Each player seems to have their winnings from the preliminary game added to their totals. http://www.jeopardy.com/minisites/battl ... es/finals/

Some are not correct such as Colby. His should be easy with $100K + $250K + $16,201 = $366,201
Instead it shows $366,400 to make it look like his pre FJ! score was added. Rachael and Tom Nosek seem to have incorrect numbers as well.

In the J! Archive the archivists were informed that preliminary game winners did not keep the money won and only had the honor of moving on to the quarterfinals. Is this incorrect? Russ? Dan? Anyone else? Did you receive or will receive a payment for the total you won in the preliminary game?

It's none of my business, but it is important for the Archive to be as accurate as possible. Thanks.
pdano
Valued Contributor

Post by pdano »

We don't get the preliminary round winnings. (Although I haven't gotten a check yet, so I suppose I can't say for certain.) I agree that's what they're trying to do with the scores, but yeah, the math doesn't seem to work out for some people.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

pdano wrote:We don't get the preliminary round winnings. (Although I haven't gotten a check yet, so I suppose I can't say for certain.) I agree that's what they're trying to do with the scores, but yeah, the math doesn't seem to work out for some people.
Thanks for the confirmation for prize payouts.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

What are the payouts for everyone in the final tournament? I'm sure this has been mentioned elsewhere, but don't feel like digging through the whole thread.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:What are the payouts for everyone in the final tournament? I'm sure this has been mentioned elsewhere, but don't feel like digging through the whole thread.
Champion: $1,000,000 (or the player's 2-day finals total, whichever is larger)
1st runner-up: $100,000 (or the player's 2-day finals total, whichever is larger)
2nd runner-up: $50,000 (or the player's 2-day finals total, whichever is larger)
Semifinalist: $25,000
Quarterfinalist: $10,000
Invitee: $5,000
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

All the payouts are similar to regular TOCs, except for the top prize. Lose in 1st round=$5k, lose in 2nd round=$10k, lose in 3rd round=$25k? Finals=50,000 for 3rd, 100,000 for 2nd, $1mil for 1st. The only one I'm not sure about is 3rd round loss. At least that's what I remember from my cursory glance at the inch-thick stack of paperwork.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Dr. J wrote:All the payouts are similar to regular TOCs, except for the top prize. Lose in 1st round=$5k, lose in 2nd round=$10k, lose in 3rd round=$25k? Finals=50,000 for 3rd, 100,000 for 2nd, $1mil for 1st. The only one I'm not sure about is 3rd round loss. At least that's what I remember from my cursory glance at the inch-thick stack of paperwork.
I thought you were going to end ". . .inch-thick stack of Benjamins".

Rex
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

It would have been funny had they taped the "play-in games" in Dayton, Ohio.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote:Champion: $1,000,000 (or the player's 2-day finals total, whichever is larger)
I immediately imagined Roger Craig reading that parenthetical and looking very thoughtful.

A 2-day total exceeding $1,000,000 is theoretically possible. Somebody check my math, but I think the maximum is $1,132,800. That would involve a player winning every buzzer race and giving only correct responses for both days. Additionally, the player would need to uncover every DD after having uncovered and responded correctly to all available non-DDs. All six DDs would need to be in the lowest dollar-value slots. And of course every wager would be all-in.

If you don't need to squeeze every last penny, you can clam on 4 or 5 clues per game as long as you don't find the DDs until almost all the clues are gone in each round. That could still get you over the million mark. Barely.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

You math checks out, Opus. Don't hold your breath waiting for that scenario to arise, though :mrgreen:
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

10 months ago...
hermia.snow wrote:i'd LOVE too see a match between Roger Craig, Rutter and Ken. It would be a treat for the audience if all 3 make it to the finals!!
8-)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

On more than one Facebook page I saw mentions about BotD players receiving a DVD with their original J! games (Not TOC). In a later mailing they also received a copy of their BotD game(s). Nice move by the J! powers to send out the extra bonuses. Ken's delivery must have required extra postage if they gave him all 75 games.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

MarkBarrett wrote:On more than one Facebook page I saw mentions about BotD players receiving a DVD with their original J! games (Not TOC). In a later mailing they also received a copy of their BotD game(s). Nice move by the J! powers to send out the extra bonuses. Ken's delivery must have required extra postage if they gave him all 75 games.
I'd like to borrow those DVDs for a day or two.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Coelacanth
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Coelacanth »

bpmod wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:On more than one Facebook page I saw mentions about BotD players receiving a DVD with their original J! games (Not TOC). In a later mailing they also received a copy of their BotD game(s). Nice move by the J! powers to send out the extra bonuses. Ken's delivery must have required extra postage if they gave him all 75 games.

Brian
I would've liked to have that DVD of original games. Sigh. The alternate's life is not an easy one.
Brian Weikle
Season 19
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Coelacanth wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian
I would've liked to have that DVD of original games. Sigh. The alternate's life is not an easy one.
You didn't get one? That ain't right.

I've sent Maggie an email suggesting that all the Fan Favorite participants get one. We'll see what she says.
Coelacanth
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Coelacanth »

MDaunt wrote:
Coelacanth wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian

I've sent Maggie an email suggesting that all the Fan Favorite participants get one. We'll see what she says.
You're such a helpful guy. I'm glad I voted for you.
Brian Weikle
Season 19
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

That's why I voted for me, too.
SwanShadow
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by SwanShadow »

MDaunt wrote:
Coelacanth wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian

If this works, MDaunt, I will come to your house and hug you. Seriously. I'm not embarrassed to hug a man.

Of course, they'll have to digitize my original run from the kinescopes...
Michael Rankins
ToC '88; Super J! '90; BoBAB '98; UToC '05; BotD Fan Favorite Reject, '14