J! 30th anniversary tournament

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

J! 30th anniversary tournament

Post by legendneverdies »

On Game SHow Forum and WWTBAM Bored, CHad Mosher reported what the format will be for the impending 30th anniversary tournament. 15 players each will play for three weeks, one week will have 15 players from 1984-93, one week 15 players from 1994-2003, and the third week 15 players from 2004-13. They will air at various points in the WInter or Spring. Each game will have one winner, and the 15 winners will play in a traditional two week TofC format for a million dollar grand prize, my guess would be during May 2014 sweeps. SOme players will be pre-picked, and some will be apparently voted on by J! fans via social media. I suspect we can guess some players who will be picked(likely candidates are a few women 5+ time winners and TofC champs, Forrest, Spangenberg, KJ, Rutter, Dave Madden, Vijay Balse, Dan Pawson Timanus, Verini, etc.)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: J! 30th anniversary tournament

Post by Woof »

I predict a jboard-derived online ballot box stuffing for Seaborgium and Rex Kramer :twisted:
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Any way I can un-stuff it for KJ?
Atalsyter
Contributor

Post by Atalsyter »

According to this, http://www.jeopardy.com/news/decadessearch.php they are only seeking ToC champion players. I'm guessing a few in the first decade might not be with us anymore hence opening up room for 'other' players; or the odd person just won't get the message and never contact J!. Also ken never technically played in a ToC tourney just the UToC so an exception for him
QuizGeek75
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by QuizGeek75 »

That's true about Ken Jennings. He's definitely the odd man out since he had to give up his chances of playing in the season 22 Tournament Of Champions in order to play in the 3 game finals of the Ultimate Tournament Of Champions with a $250,000 minimum guarantee for 3rd prize in 2005.
Just a person who loves game shows.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

hermia.snow wrote:According to this, http://www.jeopardy.com/news/decadessearch.php they are only seeking ToC champion players. I'm guessing a few in the first decade might not be with us anymore hence opening up room for 'other' players
Well, the first ten seasons of Jeopardy had nine ToCs (none in the first season, obviously), the second ten had eight (none in the 17th or 20th season), and the third has had seven (none in the 23rd or 27th seasons, and the 30th season hasn't happened yet), so the unchanged annual nature of the ToCs in the show's first decade has created a field whose size well exceeds the later decades', even when deaths are taken into account. Makes me feel slightly better about my chances.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I like the format to guarantee five older and five middle players to meet the recent decade for the last part. 15 knockout games will be a fun three weeks spread out through the winter.

So who does Chad know? Has someone already been invited?

In the 2002 M$M the payouts were:

Winner - $1M
2nd - 100K
3rd - 50K
Semis - 25K
Quarters - 10K

With the 15 knockout matches will it be 25K or so for winning or winner keeps all? For 2nd and 3rd in those preliminary matches 5K, thanks for showing up or perhaps that is worth 10K these days?

The traditional tournament format at the end could also be 1M, 250K, 100K, 50K, 25K

45 players will leave lots of room for grumbling, but the UTOC was too big and too long. Even with the social media voting that will have to be limited as well. There will be a lot of TOCers who had their hopes raised for nothing with zero hope of playing again.

Hey Vanya, now that I know I was wrong with how the decades would be broken down should I bump all of my Calling threads and reseed my final 15 for each. Kidding, just kidding. :)
Atalsyter
Contributor

Post by Atalsyter »

seaborgium wrote:Makes me feel slightly better about my chances.
Ya. Also the fact that you made it to the finals- if anything, they'd probably invite the finalists before the other ToC players after they're done gathering all the winners.
PRouf
Contributor

Post by PRouf »

hermia.snow wrote: if anything, they'd probably invite the finalists before the other ToC players after they're done gathering all the winners.
Well yes, that would be nice.

seaborgium, should I know you?
Omnia operatur ex in sua infirmos modo
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

PRouf wrote:
hermia.snow wrote: if anything, they'd probably invite the finalists before the other ToC players after they're done gathering all the winners.
Well yes, that would be nice.

seaborgium, should I know you?
http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=6261
PRouf
Contributor

Post by PRouf »

Thanks econgator, nope I don't.
chad1m

Post by chad1m »

MarkBarrett wrote:So who does Chad know? Has someone already been invited?
I've got my ways of knowing. I would've made the thread here myself, but I apparently don't have enough posts to do that.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

PRouf wrote:Thanks econgator, nope I don't.
I hope for both our sakes that you will!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

chad1m wrote:.
Reply to this. I think 3 is enough.
PRouf
Contributor

Post by PRouf »

seaborgium wrote:
PRouf wrote:Thanks econgator, nope I don't.
I hope for both our sakes that you will!
Sounds good to me! :)
PRouf
Contributor

Post by PRouf »

chad1m wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:So who does Chad know? Has someone already been invited?
I've got my ways of knowing. I would've made the thread here myself, but I apparently don't have enough posts to do that.
By all means, please dish!
PRouf
Contributor

Post by PRouf »

ooops, dupe
Last edited by PRouf on Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

These are three places than can have game show news and scoops with varying degrees of items repeated between them. Are there other good places for information?

http://www.gameshownewsnet.com/

http://www.gameshowforum.org/

http://buzzerblog.flashgameshows.com/
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I do like the fact that 1/3 of the final field will be the old coots. However, I'm not too wild about having all the qualifying games being a single elimination format. I'd rather have three regular tournaments with the winners meeting in a two or three day finals.
hanzz

Post by hanzz »

Bamaman wrote:I do like the fact that 1/3 of the final field will be the old coots. However, I'm not too wild about having all the qualifying games being a single elimination format. I'd rather have three regular tournaments with the winners meeting in a two or three day finals.
I suppose they like the neatness of having a whole day's worth of tapings being concentrated on one event/tournament, as opposed to having morning tapings for one tournament and all the hassles (returning champs, alternates, etc.) that come with regular folk shows in the afternoon. The Watson games were an exception, I'm sure, since they were on location.