Friday, July 19, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, July 19, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6655, 2013-07-19

CONTESTANTS
Cal Mason, a lawyer from Arlington, Massachusetts
Alan Baltis, a software developer and consultant from Lakewood, Ohio
Berek Marcus, a video game quality assurance tester from Northborough, Massachusetts (whose 1-day cash winnings total $25,199)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. On yesterday's program, we crowned a new champion in Berek, and that is correct --"B-E," not "D-E." Alan is one of our challengers along with Cal. Cal is short for what?

Cal: Carolyn.

Alex: For Carolyn. I was thinking Calpurnia. That shows you how old I am. All right, good luck. Let's go to work here in the Jeopardy! round. We're gonna have some fun today with these categories, I'm sure.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LESSER-KNOWN NAMES (4/5)
WORDS IN WORLD CAPITALS (4/5) (Alex: Each response will be a short word that's found in a world capital.)
SURVEY SAYS...! (5/5)
GENEALOGY GLOSSARY (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
AS THEMSELVES ON TV (5/5)
"A", BABY! (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Alan: 12 R (including 2 rebounds), 3 W
Berek: 7 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Cal: 7 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Cal found the Daily Double on the 7th clue. Berek had $1,000, Alan had $800, and Cal was at $1,400. Cal wagered $1,000.

GENEALOGY GLOSSARY $400: Also a zodiac sign, in English marriage records this term referred to unmarried women
[Cal shakes her head.]

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Alan: $3,400
Berek: $1,400
Cal: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Very few people can afford a $200,000 automobile, but Cal Mason from Massachusetts once worked for an Italian automaker and got a ride in what?

Cal: Uh, a $200,000 very fast car. Can I say a brand?

Alex: Of course you can say. Yes.

Cal: A Lamborghini Countach.

Alex: Oh, the Countach. How fast did you go?

Cal: I think we went about 150 miles an hour.

Alex: Those city streets tend to slow you down a little.

Cal: It was on a 35-mile-an-hour-speed-limit road. [Laughter.]

Alex: Don't tell us any more, Cal, please. [Laughter.] There's a statute of limitations
may not have, uh, expired.

Alex: Alan Baltis is from Lakewood, Ohio. I've often mentioned this about contestants on Jeopardy! They are collectors, and that is certainly true of this gentleman. Tell us.

Alan: I have a lot of comic books --like about 40,000. I have a whole bunch of paperbacks and hardbacks and CDs and games and puzzles, and I just tend to surround myself with things that I love [chuckles], by the tens of thousands.

Alex: And how big a house do you have In order to accommodate all this stuff?

Alan: Well, we have a relatively small house, and when I moved from Chicago to Cleveland to be with my wife, I had to put a whole bunch of stuff into storage ockers. So I kind of have visitation rights to them. [ chuckles ]

Alex: Oh, but you do go and visit?

Alan: I'm working my way through the collections to sell some now 'cause they were kind of always my retirement program.

Alex: Yeah, and those comic books particularly

Alan: They really can.

Alex: Some of them can be worth a lot of money.

Alan: I'm hoping.

Alex: Berek Marcus is our champion. He...would I be correct in saying you are a Disneyphile?

Berek: Uh, I would say so. It's basically been a family tradition my entire life. We go at least once a year. I'm from Los Angeles originally, so anytime anyone would visit, we'd take them to Disneyland, and even now that I live in Massachusetts, uh, I go to Disneyland almost every year. I was in Disneyworld two years ago. I love it.

Alex: What's not to love?

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
GENEALOGY GLOSSARY $600: This term for a family tree comes from the Latin for "crane's foot" due to the appearance of the chart lines

LESSER-KNOWN NAMES $1000: Harriet Lane acted as First Lady for this president,her uncle
(Alan: Who is Andrew Jackson?)
(Alex: [*], the bachelor president.)

WORDS IN WORLD CAPITALS $1000: A bad kid in Slovakia

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Alan: $4,800
Berek: $4,000
Cal: $800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, July 19, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WHAT'S YOUR POLICY? (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
BEST ACTOR OSCARS (5/5) (Alex: We want you to name the film in the category...)
THE APPLE STORE (4/5)
KIDDY LIT CHARACTERS (4/5)
OLD NAMES ON THE MAP (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
A "TELL"-ALL CATEGORY (2/3)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Alan: 10 R (including 2 rebounds), 3 W (including 2 DDs)
Berek: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Cal: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Alan snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Berek had $4,800, Alan had $5,200, and Cal was at $1,200. Alan wagered $2,600.

OLD NAMES ON THE MAP $1600: In 2003, this name was abandoned in favor of Serbia & Montenegro, which went their separate ways in 2006
(Alan: What is Serbo-Croatia?)
(Alex: No, what is [*]? They were part of [*].)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Alan who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 16th clue. Berek had $8,400, Alan had $6,200, and Cal was at $1,600. Alan wagered $2,300.

WHAT'S YOUR POLICY? $2000: On Sept. 25, 1980 the Chinese Communist Party called on all its members to adhere to this policy
(Alan: What is the Leap Forward?)
(Alex: No, what is [*]? You were nowhere near it, so don't worry about it.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
OLD NAMES ON THE MAP $2000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reads the clue from Hanoi, Vietnam.) Build by August Henri Vildieu, Vietnam's Presidential Palace was originally the headquarters of the Governor General of this now-defunct French region

WHAT'S YOUR POLICY? $400: An early 20th Century U.S. policy was called this type of "Diplomacy" that substituted money for bullets
(Alex: It was called [*] Diplomacy.)

WHAT'S YOUR POLICY? $1600: An essential part of this policy of FDR's toward Latin America was nonintervention, either with the U.S. army or advice
(Alex: And that was the famous [*].)

THE APPLE STORE $2000: The Royal Gala & Braeburn were crossed to get this apple variety with a musical name

KIDDY LIT CHARACTERS $2000: In 2011's "I Want My Hat Back", he questions his fellow forest dwellers as to the whereabouts of his "red pointy hat"
(Alex: And the questioner was [*].)

A "TELL"-ALL CATEGORY $400: This adjective means "revealing something that was intended to be secret"
(Alex: And that is [*].)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Alan: $9,900
Berek: $8,800
Cal: $3,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PULITZER PRIZE-WINNING NOVELS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Alan: Wager $7,701 to cover Berek. If you feel like using Shoretegy, try wagering $501.
Berek: Try wagering $1,599, which is as much as you can put up against Alan without being usurped by a doubled score on the part of Cal.
Cal: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by Berek, but if Berek decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $1,400.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Its first line is "A green hunting cap squeezed on the top of the fleshy balloon of a head"

FINAL SCORES
Cal: $3,600 - $1,600 = $2,000 (What is Deliverence?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Berek: $8,800 - $8,800 = $0 (What is Fear and Loathing La) (3rd place: $1,000)
Alan: $9,900 - $7,701 = $2,199 (What is World [illegible]) (New champion: $2,199)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Alan: $14,800, 22 R, 6 W (including 2 DDs)
Berek: $8,800, 12 R, 2 W
Cal: $4,600, 12 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $28,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Alan: 22/60 = .367
Berek: 12/58 = .207
Cal: 12/59 = .203
Team: 46/63 = .730

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
GENEALOGY GLOSSARY $200: Relict is a rather unkind-sounding term for this grieving person
(Cal: [before ringing in] What is a [*]?)
(Alex: You have to ring in.)
[Cal rings in.]
(Alex: That's better.)

GENEALOGY GLOSSARY $1000: A PAF, or personal ancestral file, is software from this church that's very into genealogy
[Alan forgets to phrase his response in the form of a question, and then he corrects himself.]
(Alex: Alright, we're not off to a great start here. Go again, Alan.)

LESSER-KNOWN NAMES $800: In 1928 Arctic explorer Louise Boyd led an expedition in search of this missing Norwegian
(Alan: Who is Erik the Red?)

SURVEY SAYS...! $800: Oh, I'm a this & that's not OK says a careercast.com 2012 worst jobs list with this outdoor gig worst of all
(Berek: What is a gravedigger?)

SURVEY SAYS...! $1000: In 2012 Travel + Leisure readers found La Guardia the nation's worst major airport; this one, MSP, was crowned best
(Cal: What is Miami-St. Petersburg?)

AS THEMSELVES ON TV $800: This "wizard" of a young actor got a painful lesson in grammar from Dame Diana Rigg on "Extras"
(Alan: [no response])
(Alex: Ooh you're gonna draw a blank, unfortunately.)

OLD NAMES ON THE MAP $800: From 1925 to 1961 Volgograd had this name, after a dictator
(Alan: What is Leningrad?)

BEST ACTOR OSCARS $400: 1984:
F. Murray Abraham as composer Antonio Salieri
(Alex: That's the film!)

WHAT'S YOUR POLICY? $800: In WWII, in the face of the German advance, the retreating Soviet army adopted this policy, literally burning crops
(Berek: What is slash & burn?)

KIDDY LIT CHARACTERS $1200: He's the peaceable character seen here

A "TELL"-ALL CATEGORY $2000: It's the IP in WIPO, a world organization protecting copyrights & such
(Cal: What is intellectual?
[buzzer sounds[
What is intellectual prop...?)
(Alex: Yes, you took too long, Cal, sorry about that.)
[end-of-round signal sounds]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Virgo
pedigree
James Buchanan
brat
Yugoslavia
the One Child Policy
Indo-China
Dollar
Good Neighbor Policy
the Jazz
Bear
tell-tale
A Confederacy Of Dunces
widow
the Church of Latter-day Saints
(Roald) Amundsen
lumberjack
Minneapolis-Saint Paul
Daniel Radcliffe
Stalingrad
Amadeus
scorched earth
Ferdinand The Bull
intellectual property
lisa0012
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by lisa0012 »

Well this is going to be a fun discussion. My thoughts are way too obvious, so I'll sit back and let the rest of you watch the show and have at it :)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Maybe I should read that book, it was another FJ a while back.

At least the only one to make the right bet won the game. Kind of a dull game otherwise.

I'm leaving to go work a concert. I can't wait to see the discussion when I get back. Have fun, guys.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I hate "you know it or you don't" FJ's, especially when I don't know it.

Moronic wagering.

That is all.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

EDIT: OK, it's futile, but screw it. What the hell was that? Three gettable DDs blown, including a no-guess on a clue with only 12 possibilites and a nonexistent country (at least he guessed an actual Chinese policy, even if it was off by a few decades). Slow, unbearable play all throughout (no idea how the hell they finished the J! round). Triple stumpers all over the place (Slovakia is not an obscure country folks, it's not as if it was "to implore in the capital of Brunei").

LTaM to go, down a few grand, let's start at the top of the category!

Got 3rd locked out, can still wager for the lead and keep her locked out? All-in suicide time!! UGH.

FJ had me thinking...I actually have no idea what I was thinking, it was a jumbled mess. And it's still too easy a joke. And mean. I'm trying not to be mean.

Why did our new....champ...have to repeat himself over and over before they accepted LDS?
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I had no chance at that FJ, and I read the book once years ago. What is so memorable about its first line that makes it FJ worthy? And no additional clue to reason your way to it?

Tough game to watch with the quirks of those players, but I thought a couple of categories harder than the norm, like genealogy and policies.
jennifermarie
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by jennifermarie »

xxaaaxx wrote:
Why did our new....champ...have to repeat himself over and over before they accepted LDS?

He didn't answer in the form of a question at first.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

A lousy game to end the week. I'll leave it at that.
Atalsyter
Contributor

Post by Atalsyter »

Leander wrote:I had no chance at that FJ, and I read the book once years ago. What is so memorable about its first line that makes it FJ worthy? And no additional clue to reason your way to it?
I guess since it describes the protagonist's appearance? After seeing the cover of the novel it kinda made sense:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... _cover.jpg

Had no clue on FJ. Sadly I've yet to run FJs in a week (4/5)
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

jennifermarie wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:

But it was the first round, wasn't it? Not sure why Alex left him hanging rather than just remind him to phrase it properly.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I didn't like this board much, but that doesn't absolve the contestants of blame for this one. It seems as though contestants like the ones in this game seem to appear most frequently at the end of seasons. Remind me again why TPTB don't want another Jennings or Madden on the show?

I loved how the four highest valued clues in the capital city wordplay category all came from the very beginning of the names of the capital cities.

FJ was an instant get because I have read the book, but it was a very hard clue that should have been saved for the ToC or the 30th anniversary tournament.
brandone

Post by brandone »

I had to start writing on the boards as soon as I finished the episode.

Today is my birthday and I was really hoping for an interesting game....... I guess you can't get everything you want....

Everything from not being able to ring in properly, to missing easy DD's and low dollar amount clues, and a lot of misses. MISTAKING THE ICONIC FACE OF ANDREW JACKSON.... that's what really pushed me over the ship. Horrible wages by all 3 contestants. In Cal's case I would have wagered 0, same in Berek's case. As Alan I wouldn't have risked as much as he did.

Alan's the champion with $2199. What is the lowest winning total this season out of curiosity?

Hopefully it'll be a much better game on Monday.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

jennifermarie wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:

They usually let it go in the first round, except on the Daily Double. One person did lose credit on a first round DD a few years back for forgetting phrasing. Alex said Alan comes back next week, which implies no Military week(the 7/29 week is kids' week)
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

brandone wrote: Alan's the champion with $2199. What is the lowest winning total this season out of curiosity?
It used to be 3400, but 2199 is now the lowest winning total of the season, unless there's a game with a lower total missing from the archive.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Well... what a mess of a game. Sloppy, poor answers and just plain slow.

FJ was an Instaget for me, even though I hadn't read the book... knew about it and the first line seemed to make sense.

The author of that book committed suicide eleven years before it was published... through the determined efforts of his mother, and then it went on to win the Pulitzer.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

That FJ totally TPHd my butt.
Scary when you can find three people smart enough to be on J! but none of them know the only bachelor President.
QuizGeek75
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by QuizGeek75 »

That was 1 of the worst games I have ever seen. Now, there will never be a Military Week on JEOPARDY!
Just a person who loves game shows.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Paucle wrote:That FJ totally TPHd my butt.
Scary when you can find three people smart enough to be on J! but none of them know the only bachelor President.
If I remember correctly, the clue didn't necessarily imply that it had to be a bachelor president. It took me a second to understand the clue and get Buchanan, and if I had been on stage I might have blanked. And it wasn't it also a bottom of the board clue? That could have made it confusing.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

0/5 in Survey and Policy. "Pew" at $200 had me thinking that Survey was asking for something dealing with pastors; no idea how you got "husband" out of it.

Double Date was my only get in Genealogy, but I missed only "amulet" in "A".

Any chance we can poll Dollar Diplomacy too? That, like lagoon yesterday, seemed rough for $400 at the top left corner.

Thought I'd do better in Children's Books, but I got only $800. I knew $400 wasn't Willy Wonka, but couldn't think of anyone else's name. NHO Ferdinand, blanked on Hans Brinker, and can't even figure out what book $2000 was referring to. Google is giving me no help whatsoever with "bear" and "red hat".

No hope on FJ! I know literally nothing about Confederacy of Dunces other than that I've heard of the title.