Tuesday, July 23, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by jeff6286 »

Oscar-Winning Actors
They're the only 2 Best Actor winners with the same last name; one was a winner for 1979 & 1988, the other for 2005.

Spoiler
Who are Dustin Hoffman and Philip Seymour Hoffman? Sarah said the Fondas; Patrick crossed out Fondas and had nothing else; David said Jerry and Daniel Day Lewis.

David Brown: $22,200-$0=$22,200...now a 1-day champion with $22,200
Patrick Geary: $6,800-$6,799=$1
Sarah Orzalli: $3,000-$2,900=$100
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Since I won't be here later to comment, I just have to say that the new champ reminds me of one of my favorite baseball players, Lance Berkman.

Also, instaget FJ! I can understanding forgetting the latter actor's win, but the first one should have been a snap.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Holy Hannah, that new champ is just plain annoying.

I got Hoffman fairly quickly but couldn't remember Philip Seymour Hoffman. I wonder if they would have accepted Hoffman as a response or if I needed both first names?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

Maybe this is David's mother?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I couldn't figure out Son of Jacob until I got Reuben at $600, my only get in the category. Ran Big "E" with ease.

How was decaf a TS? Did they overlook "zip"? 3/5 in Latte, but it would've been a run had I been able to dredge up Silk in time and not clammed on caramel.

Also 3/5 in Useful. NHO crescent wrench, said "burglar alarm" on the DD.

They may be too young to remember Gong Show. But I'm sure I'm younger than all three of them, and I got it with ease.

0/5 in Historical Revolutions and Archaeology, but to be fair, I clammed on Boxer and Catacombs. Got the first three songs.

I would've thought David's buzzsaw-like performance on DJ! would've been enough to compensate for the video category, but apparently not.

No guess on FJ! Philip who what, now?
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

I noticed when I looked up "Philip Seymour Hoffman" for the correct spelling of his first name, today's his birthday!
And not sure where else to post this: What happened to the "Team SHC" thread? I wanted to see the poll results.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

A nice, dominant performance by the winner, as he ran through two straight categories. I may have to mute him the rest of the week, though.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

I think I remember reading on the internet that Alex didn't like the Gong Show once upon a time, thought it was silly and dumb(a lot of people downplayed it back then, even Match Game took some digs at it). Gong Show premiered the MOnday after ALex's first NBC run of High Rollers ended.
NoName84

Post by NoName84 »

legendneverdies wrote:I think I remember reading on the internet that Alex didn't like the Gong Show once upon a time, thought it was silly and dumb
Wasn't that the whole point?

Two years ago I was the Unknown Comic for Halloween.

Definitely, definitely got Final Jeopardy before the clue was completely read.
alamble

Post by alamble »

floridagator wrote:Holy Hannah, that new champ is just plain annoying.

I got Hoffman fairly quickly but couldn't remember Philip Seymour Hoffman. I wonder if they would have accepted Hoffman as a response or if I needed both first names?
If memory serves, last name should have sufficed.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Yeah, I got FJ from the Dustin part alone. Could not for the life of me think of another Hoffman winner, but I was 99% sure Dustin was correct, so went with the surname.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Paucle wrote:Yeah, I got FJ from the Dustin part alone. Could not for the life of me think of another Hoffman winner, but I was 99% sure Dustin was correct, so went with the surname.
Ditto. I almost immediately said "Who is Hoffman?" and then spent 5 or 10 seconds coming up with PSH.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

thejeopardyfan wrote:Maybe this is David's mother?
That's the only likely candidate I could find. Same last name, hometown, seems age-appropriate, finished in the red, and she played right around 4 years ago. Hmmm, it almost fits too perfectly. A bit easier than it should have been. We must be missing something. ;)
StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug »

Could I have the first two clues of the CNN category, please (if we need the context of the picture, just a screen grab to conserve my bandwidth)? An NWS alert went out for my area and the audio for those two got cut out.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

StrangerCoug wrote:Could I have the first two clues of the CNN category, please (if we need the context of the picture, just a screen grab to conserve my bandwidth)? An NWS alert went out for my area and the audio for those two got cut out.
First clue was essentially name the year the Bastille was stormed, second clue was essentially to name the rebellion occurring in China around 1900.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I was pretty happy to get FJ. I spent time trying to think of who would have won in 2005, came up blank, then thought about who would have won twice, and the light finally dawned in time for me to write it down.

David certainly is fast on the buzzer, but hard to listen to.
Atalsyter
Contributor

Post by Atalsyter »

I guess Best Actors by year is probably a good list to memorize, someone should make a thread about lists one should know for J! haha
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Hey Alex, you don't have to be a total jerk about the two contestants writing down Fonda. Yes, we (well, I and hopefully the players) know that the clue and category said acTORS, but there are actually two pretty well-known actors with that particular last name. Peter Fonda never won an Oscar for acting, but he was nominated for Best Actor for 1997's Ulee's Gold, and Henry Fonda won for 1981's On Golden Pond, so if you aren't aware that Henry died in 1982, it's not the worst guess in the world. And if you've never heard of The Gong Show, then there's probably a pretty good chance you have no idea when Henry Fonda died.

Bottom line, If you can't name all the Best Actor winners from the last 30 years, then there are a lot worse guesses you could make than the Fondas. Other possible contenders would include Michael & Kirk Douglas. Michael won Best Actor for Wall Street, just one year before Hoffman's win for Rain Man, but it was his only acting nomination by the Academy. Kirk had three Best Actor noms way, way back (1949, 52, 56), and received an Honorary Academy Award in 1996, but never won a competitive Oscar.

Jeff Bridges won for 2009's Crazy Heart, but neither Beau nor Lloyd ever received a Best Actor nomination.

Martin Sheen has the exact same number of Academy Award nominations as Charlie Sheen does: zero. However, Emilio Estevez did appear in the video for Jon Bon Jovi's Blaze of Glory, which was featured on the soundtrack for 1990's Young Guns II, and was nominated for the Best Original Song Oscar, so the Sheen family hasn't gone entirely unrecognized.

Gary Cooper won 2 Best Actors, and Bradley Cooper was nominated last year for Silver Linings Playbook, so if not for Jerry Lewis's performance in Lincoln, the Coopers might have made the cut. Wait, that doesn't sound right...

William Hurt won Best Actor for 1985's Kiss of the Spider Woman, and John Hurt (no relation) was nominated for 1980's The Elephant Man. Robert De Niro took the Oscar that year for Raging Bull, while Hurt won the BAFTA award for Best Actor, so he was likely a top contender for the Oscar. Oddly enough, while both were nominated for the 1981 Oscar, their BAFTA nominations were for two different years, so the British Academy must use a different qualifying period than their American counterparts.
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.