Familiar Face on "The Chase" (Spoilers for The Chase)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

tgs
Contributor

Re: Familiar Face on "The Chase" (Spoilers for The Chase)

Post by tgs »

Bamaman wrote:
econgator wrote:
TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:You don't want to know what I think about their screening process.
Seems to be fairly straightforward: (at least recently) if you're good, you don't get on.
So this won't be Ken Jennings' next stop on his grand tour of game shows?
It's not just the screening process; it's the way they treat aspiring contestants. Lots of stories of people being flown to LA only to receive a phone call: "Sorry, don't come to the studio, your episode has been cancelled." (One friend who got this call went to the hotel's lobby the next morning anyway; of course there was a full slate of contestants waiting.)

GSN has a very penny-wise, pound-foolish plan with this show: by casting less qualified contestants, they help Mark win at a higher ratio. But the losses are brutal and not fun to watch. They're going to kill this (potentially) great show.

The network also thinks Labbett is the only guy who can play the role of chaser, but he's just not strong enough on Americana to have a chance against strong US quizzers. If GSN is certain Rutter (who taped a pilot) isn't the answer, there are plenty of other Americans who should be considered for the job. One just won $100,000 yesterday...
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I think Arthur would make a good beast. He is well known in game show circles and already has a villain reputation. It also seems like that would be something he would like to do.
cutlaaah
Valued Contributor

Post by cutlaaah »

econgator wrote:Seems to be fairly straightforward: (at least recently) if you're good, you don't get on.
78 contestants played on the first three seasons of The Chase. There were what, 500 J! contestants between the last TOC and this one? If you pulled the best few from each group and had them go head-to-head, the Chase all-stars would destroy the Jeopardy ones at virtually any form of trivia.
Bamaman wrote:I think Arthur would make a good beast.
Sweet Jesus, no. The gap in screen presence between Arthur and Mark cannot be bridged.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Ugh. More of the same. Or maybe Beastie's got some sort of Svengali sway over the contestants. Or Brooke's dress. Yeah, that's it.
Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Austin Powers »

cutlaaah wrote: 78 contestants played on the first three seasons of The Chase. There were what, 500 J! contestants between the last TOC and this one? If you pulled the best few from each group and had them go head-to-head, the Chase all-stars would destroy the Jeopardy ones at virtually any form of trivia.
Oh? Who would your list be?

And what does this prove? The Chase has had a handful of good contestants. Generally, though, their average contestant is terrible.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

It seems like all of the contestants are getting between 4 and 5 right in the Cash Builder round. There's little excuse for that.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

tgs wrote:The network also thinks Labbett is the only guy who can play the role of chaser, but he's just not strong enough on Americana to have a chance against strong US quizzers. If GSN is certain Rutter (who taped a pilot) isn't the answer, there are plenty of other Americans who should be considered for the job. One just won $100,000 yesterday...
I hear on good authority they are auditioning additional beasts.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Austin Powers wrote:
cutlaaah wrote: 78 contestants played on the first three seasons of The Chase. There were what, 500 J! contestants between the last TOC and this one? If you pulled the best few from each group and had them go head-to-head, the Chase all-stars would destroy the Jeopardy ones at virtually any form of trivia.
Oh? Who would your list be?

And what does this prove? The Chase has had a handful of good contestants. Generally, though, their average contestant is terrible.
I haven't watched much of The Chase, but I think Ben, Arthur and Julia would hold their own against the best from that show.
ThreeIfByAir
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ThreeIfByAir »

Bamaman wrote:I haven't watched much of The Chase, but I think Ben, Arthur and Julia would hold their own against the best from that show.
And... right on cue... Ben defeated the Beast in LearnedLeague yesterday.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

ThreeIfByAir wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I haven't watched much of The Chase, but I think Ben, Arthur and Julia would hold their own against the best from that show.
1(2)??? Even I would've beaten him!
hanzz

Post by hanzz »

I'm surprised (and in somewhat admiration) that LabbettM, for all that is riding on his reputation, hasn't gotten swept up in the mysterious second wind that many players on LL seem to gain halfway through the season.
tgs
Contributor

Post by tgs »

Vermonter wrote:
tgs wrote:The network also thinks Labbett is the only guy who can play the role of chaser, but he's just not strong enough on Americana to have a chance against strong US quizzers. If GSN is certain Rutter (who taped a pilot) isn't the answer, there are plenty of other Americans who should be considered for the job. One just won $100,000 yesterday...
I hear on good authority they are auditioning additional beasts.
Yes, I know of a chaser auditioner as well.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

alietr wrote:
ThreeIfByAir wrote:
Yup... You beat me with a similar awful score yesterday.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

boson wrote:
alietr wrote:
ThreeIfByAir wrote:
Yup... You beat me with a similar awful score yesterday.
Lucky enough to catch you on an off day.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

The questions during the individual chases have gotten ridiculously easy. I guess they want to make sure they get all three contestants up there for the final chase. The contestants have gotten so indistinguishable that the only way I can tell whether I've watched an episode or not is by Brooke's dress. And while I'm complaining, can they please get someone up there who doesn't want to use the money to travel?
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

alietr wrote:And while I'm complaining, can they please get someone up there who doesn't want to use the money to travel?
I'm always kind of impressed by the contestants' ambitious plans for their winnings. They never actually win anything, of course, but they always have intentions to get way more out of their 1/3 share of 80,000 before-tax dollars than I ever could!
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

Last night I watched a show in which none of the contestants were left for the final chase. So the beast gave them a second chance, one to one in a final chase.
Has this happened before?

P.S. I just started to watch this show.
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Silverfox wrote:Last night I watched a show in which none of the contestants were left for the final chase. So the beast gave them a second chance, one to one in a final chase.

That's the only one I know of (at least in the U.S.).
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Silverfox wrote:Last night I watched a show in which none of the contestants were left for the final chase. So the beast gave them a second chance, one to one in a final chase.

Of all the episodes seen so far, the one you watched is the only one in which no one made it to the final Chase on the US version.
billiej

Post by billiej »

I do hope this "Celebrity Chase" is something that dies real soon, so they have more space for real contestants (cough cough!!!). That was a snoozefest.