Familiar Face on "The Chase" (Spoilers for The Chase)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Re: Familiar Face on "The Chase"

Post by whoisalexjacob »

dhkendall wrote:OK, correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't watched, only seen discussion on here and among other trivia friends, and the ads; so this is basically the same game format as Win Ben Stein's Money?
You're wrong :D
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

dhkendall wrote:OK, correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't watched, only seen discussion on here and among other trivia friends, and the ads; so this is basically the same game format as Win Ben Stein's Money?
To elaborate a bit on what omgwheelhouse said, the only real similarity between the two shows is that they have an employee who answers trivia questions in order to prevent trivia-question-answering contestants from making money. There are plenty of UK episodes of The Chase on youtube if you want to get an idea of its format. (I wrote up a long explanation of both shows, but it would be overkill to post it.)
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

Spoiler
Yesterday's airing had the Beast's portion of the final Chase start at 9:58EST, which to me sensed a Chase win. He knocked off 15 questions in about 70 seconds, with no misses, to beat the two players. I wonder if the contestants winning on the second episode two weeks ago will be the only win of the first eight shows.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I've wondered two things: (1) How does The Beast choose the dollar amounts when he goes up against the contestants, and (2) besides pride, what incentive does The Beast have to win (though I'm guessing pride is more than adequate for him)?
legendneverdies

The prize budget might have something to do with it. OUt of the first four shows(not sure if the shows are airing in the order taped, it's quite possible they aren't)
Spoiler
ONly one show had a contestant team win
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

legendneverdies wrote:The prize budget might have something to do with it. OUt of the first four shows(not sure if the shows are airing in the order taped, it's quite possible they aren't)
Spoiler
It would have been more but the show handlers made readjustments when they realized that the Beast doesn't know basic things like who the first black Supreme Court justice was.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Austin Powers wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:The prize budget might have something to do with it. OUt of the first four shows(not sure if the shows are airing in the order taped, it's quite possible they aren't)
Spoiler
It would have been more but the show handlers made readjustments when they realized that the Beast doesn't know basic things like who the first black Supreme Court justice was.
And confusing the pound sign for the Pound sign (although in his defense, didn't they capitalize "pound"?)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I've seen people on the same show win the same amount in the first round, but the Beast will offer them different amounts of money in the second round.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

seaborgium wrote:(I wrote up a long explanation of both shows, but it would be overkill to post it.)
Post it anyway. I've run out of things to read on the internet. :)
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

GSN has posted the full video of a recent episode. as it happens, it's the one featuring jonathan corbblah (s27 champion, lost to tom nissley).
legendneverdies

Last week GSN debuted On Demand programming, but on COmcast, they have two episodes each of Baggage and Minute to Win It, and both seasons of American Bible CHallenge, but not the Chase as yet.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I can't remember his name but wasn't the heavyset gay guy a J! player, if not a champ?
WilsonD
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by WilsonD »

Johnblue wrote:I can't remember his name but wasn't the heavyset gay guy a J! player, if not a champ?
That was me, actually! And no, I've not yet been on J!, but I've auditioned a number of times and have yet to pass the initial test.

As to my missing the Harvey Milk question, yes I've been razzed about it by my friends, but honestly in the moment I latched onto "Mayor" and forgot about "Castro Street" entirely until after I said Moscone. Then my mind flashed back to "She said Castro!" and I felt like an idiot. But, c'est la vie.
tagNV
Member of Our Studio Audience

Post by tagNV »

alietr wrote:I've wondered two things: (1) How does The Beast choose the dollar amounts when he goes up against the contestants, and (2) besides pride, what incentive does The Beast have to win (though I'm guessing pride is more than adequate for him)?
Someone asked Mark Labbett (2) at The Chase Q&A at TCONA 3...and yeah, pride is more than adequate and they make no extra money winning vs. losing. But Mark did note that if they lose too many games they can be let go...which is a pretty good incentive.

Alas, none of us thought to ask (1).
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Can you counter-offer the (1)? You seem to know your stuff, so the beast wants you closer to start and offers $100,000 to your $55,000. Can you say, "No but I'll do it for $150,000."
dougal18
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by dougal18 »

Paucle wrote:Can you counter-offer the (1)? You seem to know your stuff, so the beast wants you closer to start and offers $100,000 to your $55,000. Can you say, "No but I'll do it for $150,000."
On our (the UK) version the producers tell the Chasers what to offer. The high offer has been haggled a few times but only for an extra few thousand pounds.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

WilsonD wrote:
Johnblue wrote:I can't remember his name but wasn't the heavyset gay guy a J! player, if not a champ?
That was me, actually! And no, I've not yet been on J!, but I've auditioned a number of times and have yet to pass the initial test.

As to my missing the Harvey Milk question, yes I've been razzed about it by my friends, but honestly in the moment I latched onto "Mayor" and forgot about "Castro Street" entirely until after I said Moscone. Then my mind flashed back to "She said Castro!" and I felt like an idiot. But, c'est la vie.
I can see where you'd get confused with mayor being in the question, since the two of them were killed at the same time so they will always be linked that way. I guessed Milk, even though I'd never heard of his nickname.

Thanks for sharing your experience and good luck getting on Jeopardy!.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The TV listing for the USA Today and the 8/27 episode does not have a result spoiler. It does have an intriguing appearance teaser.

"A former member of the
Spoiler
Runaways" is what is in the grid box. So how many potential players if we assume it's not Joan Jett or Lita Ford?
saintanthony
Jeopardy 2008-B Teen Tournament

Post by saintanthony »

MarkBarrett wrote:The TV listing for the USA Today and the 8/27 episode does not have a result spoiler. It does have an intriguing appearance teaser.

"A former member of the
Spoiler
Runaways" is what is in the grid box. So how many potential players if we assume it's not Joan Jett or Lita Ford?
I'll save you the trouble: it's second bassist Jackie Fox.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

saintanthony wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:The TV listing for the USA Today and the 8/27 episode does not have a result spoiler. It does have an intriguing appearance teaser.

"A former member of the
Spoiler
I'll save you the trouble: it's second bassist Jackie Fox.
I'll save you additional trouble (episode spoilers):
Spoiler
she loses