Anybody applying to NBC's new quiz show?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Anybody applying to NBC's new quiz show?

Post by econgator »

Didn't bother watching it and now it sounds like I'm glad I didn't waste my time.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Austin Powers wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:The previous night was part of a concerted effort to find a blond, attractive woman who so happens to be a Dallas Cowboys fan.
And didn't it seem mighty strange that damn near all the questions when she came on were topics you'd stereotypically expect a woman to know?
Indeed. My wife, who is not a trivia person, got every one of those questions right (except for the same sex marriage one). She looked at me and said, "Babe, this show is too easy."
Your wife calls you "Babe"? Whom did you marry, Cher?
econgator wrote:Didn't bother watching it and now it sounds like I'm glad I didn't waste my time.
^ This.

(And also, from what I've heard, it also seems like we have a new entry on the "list of celebrities that we do NOT want replacing Alex as host)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

immaf wrote:I watched, and was seriously underwhelmed. The vast majority of the questions about current events*, NBC shows, or pop culture. And while the questions were pretty easy, the rules are confusingly complex. Maybe it was all the commercial breaks, but the game play seemed quite slow to me. I was bored. I will not watch again.
I agree. Watched it last night and found it terribly confusing... and like others, not sure if the ones who depart get to keep their winnings or not. Format was unwieldy, too many breaks in the action... and the questions were either incredibly easy or incredibly linked to NBC topics.

Might give it one more shot at watching again, but now I'm doubtful I'll apply to get on the show. I think it's going to be canceled before I hear a reply.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

davey wrote:Only watched part. Do I understand correctly that only the person with the highest total at the end of the run wins anything?
Don't forget the Subway sandwich coupons!
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

I suppose the best way to look at this show - or not look at it - is as a reality competition, not a game show.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

immaf wrote:Possibly the highest four win the amount they've accumulated? It was never explained what happens once the field is winnowed down to four.
While I haven't heard any mention of how much money 2nd through 4th get, I agree with what seems to be the general consensus that they will likely get the amount that they accumulated, which will probably be at least in the $200,000 range for all 4 players by the end of the contest.

One thing I did manage to take from eavesdropping on the Winners' Row last night is the format of the "Final 4" part of the game. It will be a stepladder-style tournament, so the person in the 4th spot will play 3rd, then the winner plays 2nd place, with the winner of that playing the 1st place player. So being in the #1 spot on the last day is of the utmost importance, as that person would only have to win one match to take home a cool $2 million. Presumably the contestants were given official paperwork detailing the ins and outs of the game, so I'd like to think that their word on this matter should be pretty accurate. Not that NBC couldn't change their mind a few times over the next 9 days, and I have no idea what the format would be of these final 3 "stepladder" matches, but at least it gives us some vague idea of what to expect.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

To me, it looks like a show that had potential but has been brought down by an attempt to be something that it's not. Of course, I didn't know that when I auditioned a month ago. Much to my surprise, I received a call this morning asking if I could be there at 7am tomorrow. I'm not optimistic about how this is going to go, but I'm willing to spend a day seeing what happens. I actually have mixed feelings about making Winners Row (which I definitely doubt will happen). Do I really want to spend a week in isolation being with people being able to check in on me 24/7? Are the small chances to win the money (I know that at least one of the people in Winners Row now is REALLY good) worth it?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

slam wrote:I'm not optimistic about how this is going to go, but I'm willing to spend a day seeing what happens.
Well, you posted here about it, so that must mean you'll do well!
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Leah
Occasional Phantom Presence

Post by Leah »

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Sheer brilliance!

Far more entertaining than the show could ever be.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

I remember hints about a $10 million prize being bandied about when the show was first announced. I guess that's theoretically the top amount someone could win, if they started in the winner's chair and remained there through the end of the game, defeating all comers. Or maybe there's some kind of surprise planned, like a quintuple-or-nothing dare at the end. A crazy twist like that wouldn't surprise me at this point.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

slam wrote:Do I really want to spend a week in isolation being with people being able to check in on me 24/7?
Don't worry, from what I hear, the online feed hasn't actually been working well enough for people to be able to check in on Winners' Row 24/7.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Well played, well played. Much more amusing and entertaining than the sixty minutes I wasted watching the first episode.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

This is yet another reason I wouldn't have wanted to be a part of this anyways, I don't want to get on Jeopardy! for the money, or the "hey look, ma, I'm on TV!" angle, but because I like trivia, and I like answering trivia and playing trivia games. MSQ seems to be presented as "WHO WANTS TO WIN ALL THIS MONEY WE'RE JUST GIVING AWAY???", and I'm sure a lot of the participants in it, like pretty much every other reality show, are all about the Benjamins. (Well, for those reality shows without a monetary prize, it's all about the fame for them.)

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

davey

Post by davey »

dhkendall wrote:
This is yet another reason I wouldn't have wanted to be a part of this anyways, I don't want to get on Jeopardy! for the money, or the "hey look, ma, I'm on TV!" angle...
Not that there's anything wrong with that... ;) I'm quite sure some of the best J! champions have been interested in both.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

davey wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
This is yet another reason I wouldn't have wanted to be a part of this anyways, I don't want to get on Jeopardy! for the money, or the "hey look, ma, I'm on TV!" angle...
Not that there's anything wrong with that... ;) I'm quite sure some of the best J! champions have been interested in both.
Oh, of course, and someof the best J! champions are on MSQ too (perhaps for that angle, perhaps for the trivia, I don't know, but I am happy for all my boardie friends who did get on), but for someone like me who does trivia for the pure love of trivia, it doesn't look like MSQ - or most game shows or reality TV, were made for us.

MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

davey wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
I went on Jeopardy only for the money. I have no interest in trivia. Jeopardy is not a trivia quiz; it is a general knowledge quiz.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

The show is a little rough around the edges, but I'm loving that Dr. Jeopardy himself is in the lead! Brings back memories of that awesome 2008-B Teen Tournament crew and how fun they were to have around.